New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Nightmare Shards IC

Spoiler
    Show
    He stood in the middle of the meadow he had always visited in his childhood, the wind blowing up the pollen of the flowers. His nose tingled, and he felt a sneeze coming on. As he tried to lift his arm to his face, he heard a cracking. Looking down, he saw that his body had turned to brittle, irridescent glass. He could feel his heart race as he tried to stay still and stifle his sneeze, flakes of him drifting off in the wind. Despite his best efforts the pollen tickled his nose and danced across his face. He sneezed. Chunks of glass fell from his body, and his lungs filled with the shattered pieces of his throat. He collapsed, coughing violently as his body tore itself to shining pieces. He awoke with a start. Around him was nothing but the darkness. With a focusing of his will, his eyes shone with their own light. He saw that he was still in the back of his wagon, lying in a tangle of his blankets. Sighing with relief, he crawled to the opening in the front of the wagon and pulled himself back into the driver seat. He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep again that night, the nightmares were getting worse. But he was loyal, and he only needed to carry the thing in his pocket for a little longer. He could even see the light of the town ahead, the last one between him and his destination. Soon his burden would be gone, and his loyalty rewarded.

In the town of Lendril, south of Cragwar, a group meets once again. In the same tavern where they've met many times before, they gather. One by one they arrive, unaware of the uninvited guest heading their way.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's how this is going to work, at the beginning of the adventure your going to be arriving at the tavern for your meeting. The order of when your characters arrive is the same order of your first posts in this thread. So, the first poster is first to arrive at the tavern, the second the second, and so on. If you want to arrive at the same time as someone else then please say this in your post.

If First to Arrive:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After your long journey once again you've arrived at the town of Lendril. Walking through the familiar streets you easily make you way to the Battered Flagon, the same tavern and inn where your group has been meeting for years. Walking in you see the first unfamiliar thing since sighting the town, a new barmaid. She leads you to the same back room you've always met in. You seem to be the first to arrive.

If Second to Arrive:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After your long journey once again you've arrived at the town of Lendril. Walking through the familiar streets you easily make you way to the Battered Flagon, the same tavern and inn where your group has been meeting for years. Walking in you see the first unfamiliar thing since sighting the town, a new barmaid. She leads you to the same back room you've always met in. It seems that your not the first one to arrive.

Everyone Else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After your long journey once again you've arrived at the town of Lendril. Walking through the familiar streets you easily make you way to the Battered Flagon, the same tavern and inn where your group has been meeting for years. Walking in you see the first unfamiliar thing since sighting the town, a new barmaid. She leads you to the same back room you've always met in. It seems that some of the others have already arrived.
    Unseelie Knight avatar by Kymme, a thousand thanks to him.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Nightmare Shards IC

Taking his usual seat, Kale nods to the new barmaid, before speaking up.

"A Sharn Brewery ale, please." He says with a charming smile, leaning back torest his arms against the back of the booth and relaxing, his quiver and bag to his side.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2012-11-07 at 06:16 PM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Derek smiled when Lendril finally appeared within sight. He was walking slowly, not using a construct for transportation for once. He had already used most of his reserves to get here on time, and he didn't see any need to waste anymore of his strength. After all, he didn't want others to think that he was overly dependent on them for everything; he still had legs and all and he had no problem using them. Besides, he had made some interesting things with ectoplasm and he couldn't wait to show the others what he had experimented with.

As he walked through the city, he smiled at the familiar sights and smells. At the same time, his craftsman eye judged all the structures and buildings, wondering how solidly built they were. Luckily there wasn't anything that was critically bad, but Derek couldn't help himself. He was a craftsman before he had found out about his powers and that was how he defined himself.

Finally walking through the Battered Flagon, he smiled when he saw Kale. "I can't believe you got here before me!" he said with a laugh. "I'm so used to being here first! How have you been, Kale?"

Ordering tea for himself, he sat next to Kale and leaned a little to whisper to him. "So who's the new barmaid? I think she's been looking at you ever since I walked in," he said with a wink.
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2012-11-07 at 07:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As the afternoon light starts to dim slightly, Barnabas steps through the door into the tavern. He steps to the side and pauses for a few seconds to let his eyes adjust to the relatively dim light of the lanterns and fire in the common room.

About the time his eyes have adjusted, the barkeep looks up and recognizes him, and gestures to someone off to the side. As Barnabas starts walking towards the bar, an unfamiliar (young and... rather attractive) woman dressed as one of the barmaids walks up to him. "Sir, you're with the group that uses the second back room?"

"Yes, I am.... and you are?"
    Barnabas smiles at her.

"Abigail, sir. You can follow me to the...oh, you know where you're going," Abigail blushed. "Would you like me to bring you something to drink?"

"It's early... I'll take a light beer, and I'm sure we'll want some pot-roast later. There will be 5 or 6 of us tonight I think."

"Very well suh." As Abigail turned back to the bar, Barnabas spoke once more "Abigail, you'll bring my drink yourself, right?" Winking once and smiling at her, he walked on back to the meeting room.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"Not a clue, Derek." Kale returns, nodding at Barnabas as he steps in.

"But how fares your work? I've been getting several orders for blades that have been keeping me busy and well funded."
    Extended Signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

SwashbucklerGuy

"I'm doing fine! I've been using this power more and more in my work," he said as he flexed his hands. "It's really giving me limitless possibilities. You know that ectoplasm stuff I showed you last time? Yeah, it's really useful for sculptures! I've been able to form it into more and more complex shapes!" Derek started talking about all the amazing designs and ways he could shape the ectoplasm, unlike stone or metal which was much, much stiffer.

He finally paused when Barnabas stepped. Smiling, he clasped his friend on the back. "It's always so nice to see you, Barnabas" Derek smiled. "And is there any barmaid that is safe from your charms? I really think you should leave some for the rest of us sometime!" he laughed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shafire came in to see Barnabasfinish flirting with a new barmaid. With a sigh he slipped into the back room as the door closed, smiling disarmingly to the young lass who was his friends new victim. When the door closed, he fired a blunted and unaugmented mind arrow at the back of Barnabas' head, because he could not reach it to smack. "Come now," he said in an almost joking tone, "show the girl some courtesy. Her first day was probably a week and a half ago. And besides, you can flirt all you want when you come back here on your own time. But if I could have a glass of wine, please?"

He jumped up and sat on the edge of the table so that he could comfortably view his friends and piers. This was always the best time of the month, "However, he can keep my share of the barmaids. Though that gnome regular has been eyeing me over for some time. If he wasn't drunk I'd smack him for thinking about cheating on his wife."

The Halfling wore what he'd heard called a kilt and what amounted to a shawl, and this way he wasn't contrained by his garments. He idly swung his legs like offset pendulums as he listened to Derek speak of his sculptures, "Simply marvelous! I've picked up a few tricks myself."
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

Derek laughed as Shafire threw a mind arrow at Barnabas' head. Sitting down, he finally felt at home among all his friends. While others respected him as a craftsman outside, only these people loved him for his true gifts. Sure, they developed their gifts for adventure and battle, but Derek loved them all the same. And once in a while he would go too, as long as it wasn't too dangerous or reckless.

"Come on let's sit down already! Anyway, Kale and I were the first ones here! That means you two are paying for our drinks tonight!" he said with a laugh. "I can't wait to catch up with you guys though! How have you been? Anything new? I'm pretty okay myself and I've been working with ectoplasm since forever! I like it and all, but its always nice to take a break and just hang out!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Barnabas shook his head while grinning. "Hey, she smiled back."

After sitting down at the table, he continued "I'm glad the ectoplasmic constructs have been working out well for you. I've been working on growing both power sets, and just gained a little bit of mastery over time itself." He grins. "Sometimes, of course, and just for a little while on a particular target."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

After an evening of strolling through the city, a rather tall stranger wanders into the bar. A tower of clothing moving around and, often bumping into things, eventually makes its way to the back room. Seeing that he might have forgotten something he finally lowers the cloth from his collar to reveal his face. "Oh, hi. It's just me, 'ol Bart."
    Last edited by blade artist; 2012-11-09 at 11:20 AM.
    It's not that I thrash around with them, I simply draw them in their elegance.

Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

"Hey!" Derek smiled warmly as Bart finally arrived. "You're late as always! C'mon sit down and order a drink! Although you guys better pay us two for being the early ones again!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"Derek, I don't see why you consistently try and wheedle money out of our friends for us being early. It's not their fault we're timely." Kale returns, sighing as he stands up.

"Anyway, good to see all of you again." He continues, reaching back and rubbing his neck. "Now, anything important to share, or are we just relaxing?"
    Extended Signature.

13. - Top - End - #13

Bart slowly starts a mischievious grin, the twinkle in his eyes noticeably brighter than ussual. "It's alright, Kale," turning to the new barmaid, "Excuse me miss, I'm a little known around here. Would you be so kind as to tell the bartender to get me some of my special stock? Just tell him Bartimaeus sent you.

Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

14. - Top - End - #14

SwashbucklerGuy

"Oh dear," Derek laughed when he noticed the look in Bart's eye. "I know that look. I don't think I'm quite ready for that special stock just yet!" he laughed. Sitting, he finally calmed down and just smiled at everyone around him. "So what's up with you guys anyway? Been busy doing anything? I've received another commission for a sculpture. Another rich man with too much money and too much pride."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Barnabas

"Nothing new for me other than working on my powers. It's only been, what, 2 months since we last met up?"

16. - Top - End - #16

After the waitress comes back with a strange drink that some men turn away from with what looks to be a countenance of fear, Bart replies while starting to sip his drink, "I was at a market fair for the Argonth not too long ago, up near the Sword Keep, although it looked like some of the soldiers were a bit stressed about something. The fair was nice, though."

Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Coming back into the room with the rest of the drinks, the barmaid stumbles on the hem of her dress. The drinks go spilling on the floor and over Barnabas. She frantically cleans the broken glass and wipe up the spilled drink, between stammered apologies towards you all. "Sorry, sorry, sorry, im so sorry, sorry, please forgive me, sorry, sorry, sorry, im sorry, sorry."

18. - Top - End - #18

SwashbucklerGuy

Derek couldn't help but burst out in laughter when the barmaid spilled everything over Bart. Even though he felt sorry for his friend, he just couldn't stop. "It's fine it's fine," he said as he wiped a tear. "I'm sure our mister gentlemen over here would never be mad at a lady!" he said almost tongue in cheek.

"Although the mess is rather...sticky," Derek said with a huge smirk on his face. "Here why don't you use this to clean yourself up?" After concentrating for a moment, a huge towel materialized in his hands. It was nice, long, and soft and it was his favorite color - a bright shade of blue. Throwing it to Bart, he quickly stepped back to dodge his inevitable blows.

Quote Originally Posted by OOC
    Derek uses Call Item (1PP) to make a huge towel for Bart
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2012-11-13 at 12:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Prestidigitation. Bring me a replacement drink and I'm fine."
    Last edited by J-H; 2012-11-13 at 07:43 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shafire snickered at Barnabas' reply and conceded with a sigh. He listened to his friends, preferring to wait his turn as his friends added new tricks, while he added skill and power. It wasn't quite the same, and he liked the stories of discovery. He thoroughly enjoyed his position though.

He smiled when the barmaid came in, unable to stifle a giggle as she made a mess of his charming friend, but hopped down to help her pick up the glass, "you're fine, love. Don't fret about it. Though he usually doesn't need to clean up this early in the night, you must be really special." he flashed a smile at her, hoping to convey his joking tone and prevent things from getting too awkward.

"Well I've picked up a couple of nice toys and heave a few more tricks up my sleeve," the Halfling said as he took the conversation off the poor girl.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

21. - Top - End - #21

"With all the soldiers around lately, I think I've been learning more about swords than anything else," Bart mentions with smile on his face still from the spill. "The roads seem more battered these days. It's less of people going here then there, and more people going every where. It's even like that on the backroads. A lot of confusion these days after the war."
    Last edited by blade artist; 2012-11-14 at 10:04 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"War, war, war... you know what they say, war never changes. Since it never changes, it's boring unless you're stuck in the middle of it. At that point, going by the skirmishes I've been in, it's either sheer terror, wrath, or exhilaration, depending on how it's going and whether you're winning." Barnabas leans back in his chair and sips his drink, swirling the mug and staring into it for a little while.

"You guys ready to eat?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your conversation drifts back and forth, from topic to topic as the first night of your meet drags on. By the time you have finished your dinner the sun has been down for hours. You each retire to your own room, to resume the meet in the morning. One by one you each fall asleep.

The-Mage-King:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You find yourself in an unfamiliar building, the stone walls pressing in on you in the tight hallway. You walk in the dark, the occasional torch lighting your path. The walls seem to get closer and closer, as the ceiling seems to get lower and lower. Crouching, the walls grating against your sides, you reach the end. A small, wood door. It pushes open easily, and you crawl through it. From the floor you see the room you've entered, square, small and stone. It is lit by a sole torch, and by the beams of moonlight streaming in from a single, barred window in the ceiling. On a chair in the middle of the room, a woman sits, her back to your. In the light you recognize her as Abigail, the barmaid, her long aurburn her spilling down the back of her dress. You call her by name. The word seems to echo in the silence, "abigail.......Abigail........Abigail........Abigail", each time louder and louder as the torch grows dimmer with each word. Then, without warning, the echo stops, and the torch goes out. In the moonlight, Abigail slowly turns. You catch a glimsp of face, a blur of silver. You wake with a start, heart racing and one word sits in your mind. Abigail..... Abigail.......Abigail.

JKTrickster:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The crystals covering the walls glow with a riot of colors. Red, blue, green, orange, every color imaginable, and a few not. The spiky growths are everywhere, encrusting the walls, floor and ceiling of the tunnels. In every facet of every crystal, your face is reflected, strained and red from your long crawl. On and on you go, your face following. You enter what seems to be a room, a perfect sphere underneath the jagged edges of the crystal. The tunnel seems to end here, no other way out showing itself. You turn to leave, to go back through the tunnel. But there is no tunnel. Every way you turn, only the crystal is there. And in every facet and every face of every crystal, your face stands out. Laughing, crying, shouting, clean, bloodied, tanned, every emotion and every being is shown. They only share one trait. Every last one is looking at you. Once again you turn, and this time a huge crystal, the size of your body is in the way. The crystal gives you a look at your reflection. You scream. Your scream follows you as you wake, heart racing.

J-H:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your hands are bound. The stone of the altar is freezing against your bare back. All around you, the men who brought you here stand, their dark cloaks concealing their faces. They chant in unison, seemingly unaware of their surroundings. Next to you, the leader stands, his silvery beard protruding from the confines of his hood. A soft purple glow is coming from somewhere just behind your head, but try as you may you cannot turn your head to see it. But you can turn to see what is in the hand of the leader. The knife glints silver in the light. You wake with a start. A throbing pain spreads from your chest to stomach, and across your throat.

Supernerd:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The water seems to strech forever. You are standing in it, for it's the only ground in sight, in eternity, in forever. The water reaches your knees, and is black as night. The water is warm, not the warmth of a summer day, but the warmth of a desert, the warmth of a swamp. Warmth that drags you down, presses on you, warmth that covers everything as it tries to crush your body in it's embrace. The purplish sky is cloudless and sunless, but still provides light. The only thing breaking horizon are the shadows. All throughout the water, shadows strech upward, thin and warped. Their limbs twist and stretch towards the sky and through each other. The shadows look like trees, or are they trees pretending to be shadows? They strech on forever, like the dark, warm water. And from that dark water you hear a splash, a shadow growing in the corner of your eye. You wake with a start, the sheets glued to you with sweat. The sweat clings to your body, warm like the dark water.

BladeArtist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sewer water fills your nose and mouth. You spit explosivly, trying to ignore the foul taste. Its easy, since the stench of the sewer is even worse. You hang from the stone outcrop in the wall of the sewer shaft. From above, water spills from the sewer tunnel you came from. Below you the shaft streches downwards, and somewhere in the dark the falling water gathers in a pool. The thunder of water is enormous, covering up most of the other sounds of the sewer. Most of them. Below, you can hear the shrieks of rats, but worse, from the tunnel above you can still hear that squelching noise, still coming foward. The slimes than ran you down this tunnel, and forced you to try and hide in the chute are still coming after you. The squelching gets louder, and louder, as it gets closer, and closer. Through the filthy water pouring into your face, you can see the grey psuedopod extending over the lip of the tunnel. You wake with a start, still spitting, feeling like your about to vomit.

Everyone (Read After your own Spoiler):
    Spoiler
    Show
    By the light coming from your window, the time seems to be just a few hours before dawn, the darkness stained by stray light. Going back to sleep seems pointless and unattractive option after your dreams. You can hear people talking in the bar the floor below.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Helpless
    Not again
    Not me
    Die!

Barnabas snaps awake, opens his eyes, and then immediately winces and closes them at the headache caused by trying to use Mind Thrust in his nightmare.

"That was very odd. Not normal. At least there wasn't someone there with cheese." Barnabas slowly sits up in bed, and then looks around the room, checking for traces or trails of any intruding magic.

Spoiler
    Show

Using cantrip Detect Magic to try to figure out if the dream was placed in his head by anything detectable.

25. - Top - End - #25

Throughout the inn, a great trampling noise of what would be initially thought of as a stampede can be heard. To anyone who actually saw this strange spectacle, they would see a large man in a striped baby blue and soft yellow night gown with a collar, having a floppy hat to match, and holding a small teddybear whilst running for the water closet. Shortly afterward, there are sounds that it would seem no natural being should produce and no person would want to experience the action that would lead to those sounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shafire woke with a startled gasp, able to breathe freely once more. "It was only a dream. Thank goodness." after calming himself, he tried to think back and analyze his nightmare. He found it rather difficult, as his sleep had been much more taxing than refreshing. He felt his chest heavy as he shook his head and peeled off the sheets. It was then he realized the sweat on his sheets was warm.

"Oh, by the gods, what happened?" he said aloud, aware of the physical manifestation of his nightmare, the fear creeping back into him before he came back to reason. He needed to find out what was happening. He had two options, dispel the nightmare, as with the obviously supernatural origin of the dream, or learn to control them. Normally he wouldn't fear nightmares when they happened, but this one broke the barrier.

He got dressed and meditated to clear his mond and regain focus. He got out of his room to go downstairs and see if the others wete awake. If at all possible, he would not sleep alone tonight.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Sitting up with an undignified... Sound of unidentifiable nature, Kale rubs his temples.

"Well, that was certainly bizzare." He mutters, standing to get ready to head down. "Not as bad as some times, but far weirder."

As he finishes adjusting the collar of his coat and starts to head out the door, Kale pauses, remembering something.

"Wait... Maybe..." He says, eyes beginning to glow with power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Detect Psionics PLA to scan the room.
    Extended Signature.

28. - Top - End - #28

SwashbucklerGuy

Derek bolted upright, his voice still ringing in his ears as his hands reached out for help. The warm sun barely trickles through the blinds, giving the room a shady and twilight appearance. Huddling closer to his pillow, he took a few moments to breathe deeply.

What was that, he thought as he looked around the room. His heart was still racing as he gingerly tiptoed to the bathroom to wash his face. Maybe he would calm down afterwards.

As he sat back down on his bed, he heard a rustling sound behind him. Suddenly his psicrystal, Zed, jumped out at him. Already scared beyond belief, Derek screamed for the second time in under 5 minutes.

"DON'T DO THAT!" he yelled, trying to not soil himself. His psicrystal just bobbed confusedly, unsure what to do.

"Are....you okay?" it asked worriedly, not sure if it should feel so hurt. "I...thought you need comfort..."

Feeling bad already, Derek sat back down and sighed. "Sorry, just had a bad dream," he said as he rubbed his temples. "Didn't mean to. Let's go down and see what's happening."

Changing into a white shirt and brown pants, Derek walked down to the bar below. I wonder if anyone else is up this late at night?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shafire was sitting on a counter, looking around as he heard a pair of footsteps behind him. He charged up his Psionic energies, cautious due to his unnerving dream. "Oh, Derek! Thank goodness its only you. I'm afraid I've been the subject of a nightmare. And a supernatural one at that. It changed the outside world."

He trusted his colleagues, his friends completely. It was reassuring to have them around. He sighed, "I hope one of you won't mind me sleeping with you, because I'm not sleeping alone."
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

30. - Top - End - #30

SwashbucklerGuy

Derek freaked out when he heard some sounds and saw some strange lights. Screaming his head off, he shielded his face with his hands. Looking up, he realized too late that it was only Shafire. Laughing it off, he clasped him on the back.

"Oh my god you almost killed me there," he laughed. "Ahh I think I will just take you up on that offer. I had this strangest dream....well nightmare..." Derek trailed off for a second, before snapping out of it. Shuddering, he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

"Let's just have a nice warm drink. Maybe that'll get rid of the feeling eh?" he smiled nervously.