Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Dream of Cormanthyr [OOC]

The only thing I might change on my sheet of the top of my head is adding a Lesser Crystal of Return for my weapon. Is it to late for this change?

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    The only thing I might change on my sheet of the top of my head is adding a Lesser Crystal of Return for my weapon. Is it to late for this change?
    Nah, that's fine.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Saving Throw vs Greater Scrying (1d20+23)[35]

Scrying only works on individuals, so I'm saving for Arfaern Lethanil himself, not the selu'kiira. The above roll was modified +5 for Secondhand Knowledge and -2 for Likeness or Picture, as it'd be fair to assume that Sydil had seen a picture of him during her time at Windsong Tower.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

TheFallenSon

Userpay's posting schedule is unstable at the moment, so go ahead with whatever Mithranix is going to do.

Dice/Vael

What are you guys gonna try next?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Dice/Vael

What are you guys gonna try next?
    More divinations are on the way. I'll have a post up later this evening; I'm running/playing in 6 PbPs right now, so when I have a busy week at work it takes me a while to get to all of them.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Dice

Not a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Userpay

Yeah...that's not going to be quiet. Breaking down a door with a power called Mountain Hammer?

7. - Top - End - #67

Dice

Not a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Userpay

Yeah...that's not going to be quiet. Breaking down a door with a power called Mountain Hammer?
    Well hey its gotta be quieter with a sword than with an actual hammer! A man has to try.

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Heh. You did more than try; you were successful.

Now make a Fortitude save.

Go ahead and roll a Spellcraft check as well; DC 30 to identify the spell if you make your save. If you fail your save, it will become clear.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Going to roll your save for you in the interest of moving along, I know you're busy.

(1d20+19)[35]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Sydil/Ayorra

Knowledge (History) DC 20 or Knowledge (Local: Cormyr) 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Battlegate is the name of a small ruined castle that sits between the borders of Cormy and Sembia, near the Vast Swamp. The castle was built around the hamlet of Battlerise, a small community of farmers and shepherds. The hamlet used to be much larger as it was the home of House Auantiver, but that was over 1,000 years ago. The only reason that Battlerise is even mentioned in recent histories is because of the mercenary band named the Company of Jade. In 1247 DR, Year of the Purple Basilisk, the adventuring company explored the ruins of Battlegate and encountered a basilik there that slew most of the company. The surviving members renamed themselves the Men of the Basilisk and took it as their standard and symbol. They operated for another three dozen years out of Battlegate before retiring and disbanding the company.

Knowledge (History) DC 30 or Knowledge (Local: Cormyr) 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    House Auantiver hired the Sword Heralds to create dozens of connected refuges and hideaways underneath Battlegate, naming it the Auantiver Labyrinth and stocking it with all manner of dangerous creatures and beasts. It was popular for nobles and adventuring companies to brave the Labyrinth and though many died or were lost, the lucky few who navigated it succesfully were allowed to keep whatever riches and treasures they managaed to escape with.

The Sword Heralds themselves were a mystery that has not been fully unraveled. Cormyrian mages that had great power in creating extradimensional spaces, they traveled Cormyr selling their magic to whomever could afford it, creating many hidden refuges and hideaways all across Cormyr. They sometimes involved themselves in the early politics of Cormyr, though they remained neutral with respect to differing factions and stayed popular among the people. They vanished one day, and if someone knows where they went, or why they did what they did, the knowledge has stayed secret.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

Knowledge History: (1d20+27)[47]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Knowledge (History): (1d20+26)[45]

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Chambers, how do you want Ayorra and Sydil to handle this? Doing both CoP and commune at the same time so we can interleave our questions and adapt based on answers to the others' questions would be the best approach, but trying to do that in PbP would take forever, and I assume that Ayorra casting commune and just asking "Was the answer to Sydil's first question truthful? Was the answer to Sydil's second question truthful?" etc. would be boring and not exactly kosher.

Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

We'll go with a stated broad intent OOC and a general list of questions. Making posts to fact check each answer won't be necessary; we'll assume the whomever isn't asking direct questions is verifing the others answers. So list a few questions in the post and I'll roll the dice at home. I generally use the board roller for PbP but in this instance not knowing the dice roll is part of it.

Which Plane will you be contacting? I'm guessing Outer Plane, Greater Deity to contact Mystra.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

We'll go with a stated broad intent OOC and a general list of questions. Making posts to fact check each answer won't be necessary; we'll assume the whomever isn't asking direct questions is verifing the others answers. So list a few questions in the post and I'll roll the dice at home. I generally use the board roller for PbP but in this instance not knowing the dice roll is part of it.
    Okay, the questions Ayorra thinks are important are those about where in Battlegate the kiira is, whether it has a possessor at the moment, and what sorts of things would get in the way of obtaining it. So, potential question list:
    • "What is the first name of the current possessor of the kiira, if any?"
    • If the answer to the previous question is a name, "Is the possessor currently in Battlegate?" otherwise "Is there any creature in Battlegate that knows about the kiira?"
    • "Is the kiira warded or protected in any way that would harm us?" worded in a way that says we don't care about traps that would send an alarm or the like, just ones that would actually interfere with our retrieving it.
    • "What is the greatest danger we will face in attempting to retrieve the kiira?" worded in such a way that the answer would be along the lines of 'fire' or 'illusions' or 'undead' or whatever, not just 'magic' or the like.
    • "Are there any wards that would prevent or block magical means of getting in and out of Battlegate?"

Vael, we have 2-3 more questions, any ideas of things I missed?

Which Plane will you be contacting? I'm guessing Outer Plane, Greater Deity to contact Mystra.
    Well, that's up to Vael, since Sydil's using contact other plane and Ayorra's verifying with commune. Ayorra would obviously feel that Mystra is the most trustworthy source, but if Sydil disagrees Ayorra won't complain. Much.

Show

16. - Top - End - #76

Sydil will probably go with Mystra just because she's a neutral option. If she contacts an Elven deity like she might be expected to... well, she's not entirely sure what the result would be, and would rather not find out. And contacting a Drow deity would be asking for even more trouble.

Also, I'm thinking that for any yes/no questions, we won't need to verify, which will free up questions from Contact Other Plane. Commune doesn't have a failure chance, after all. For questions that aren't yes/no, Commune will clearly be the one verifying, as Commune can only get yes/no answers. Further, note that we get way more questions with Commune than Contact Other Plane. COP gets 1 per 2 CL, while Commune gets 1 per CL. So, we should be able to get a larger number of questions answered even if we verify every COP question with Commune.

Here are some other thoughts for other questions:

• If there is a possessor of the kiira, and they have an ambiguous name, it may be worthwhile to narrow down their name further by going for family name, last name, or whatever title they're currently holding (if any).
    • If the kiira is not in Battlegate, we'll probably want to try and determine where it is. Alternately, if it IS in Battlegate, perhaps we could ask a question to try and narrow down the exact location.
    • There may well be more than one big danger. Maybe we could ask for the second greatest danger?
    • Perhaps we could also ask something like where the biggest clue/hint/information about the kiira is? Because even if the kiira is blocked or warded, there may be clues to its existence and presence that aren't. And even if we narrow it down with our spells, a bigger source of information would be good.

Also, lets sort questions into yes/no and single word answers. Olive is Yes/No, Navy is Single Word, to represent the caster of the particular spell.

• "What is the first name of the current possessor of the kiira, if any?"
    • If the answer to the previous question is a name, "Is the possessor currently in Battlegate?" otherwise "Is there any creature in Battlegate that knows about the kiira?"
    • "Is the kiira warded or protected in any way that would harm us?" worded in a way that says we don't care about traps that would send an alarm or the like, just ones that would actually interfere with our retrieving it.
    • "What is the greatest danger we will face in attempting to retrieve the kiira?" worded in such a way that the answer would be along the lines of 'fire' or 'illusions' or 'undead' or whatever, not just 'magic' or the like.
    • "Are there any wards that would prevent or block magical means of getting in and out of Battlegate?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

TheFallenSon

I'm not sure if you posted in response to userpay's post or mine. As he's busy this month, do you want to edit it and take some action?

Dice/Vael

Those look good. Last call for questions before we run it. Also, Vael, Contact Other Plane (Outer Plane, Greater Deity) requires a DC 16 Intelligence check to avoid having your Intelligence and Wisdom dropped to 8 for 5 weeks. Sydil has a +9 Intelligence modifier, so she needs a 7 or better to succeed. Are there any spells or other preparations you want to make beforehand to prepare for that?

Edit: It's uncommon for a spell to add a bonus to ability checks. The first one I've found so far is Improvisation, Bard 1.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-09-24 at 11:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

An ability check is really just an untrained skill check, and follows the same rules for taking 10 and 20. So long as she is unthreatened- which as far as I know she is- Sydil should be able to just take 10 and be fine.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2012-09-24 at 11:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, never knew that Taking 10 and Taking 20 apply to ability checks also. Yeah, that'll work.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm going to edit the post and put some dice rolls here to resolve some actions. So....yay! I think my response is going to be to...Sap strike this dude...because I have a glaring lack of social interaction type skills

Apologies also for forgetting to check the OOC thread regularly.
    Last edited by TheFallenSon; 2012-09-25 at 09:45 PM.
    Super Cool Set of Monster Classes

Realmz Project an interesting rules rewrite for the E6 and other games.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

To see if this half elf is in fact the shop owner.....
    Knowledge Local:
    (1d20+23)[30]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Bluff for the lowered blade.....
    (1d20+1)[11]

Diplomacy for talking some since into the man....
    (1d20+1)[12]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Allright, suppose I'll roll Sense Motive for him. (1d20+14)[24]

Yep. Totally doesn't believe that you're not about to knock him out.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-09-25 at 10:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll have some more questions ideas up soonish; Vael, feel free to chip in. All of my PbPs are updating at the same time, it might take me another day to get to this one.

Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Sorry but won't beable to post until the weekend. What little time I had from studying for a midterm later this week just evaporated as one of my dogs are sick.

Other Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sense motive to see if he is hiding something.....
    (1d20+2)[16]

I would also like to state that I totally shoehorned my Elf warrior into...being a sneaky warrior...and that's about it. Completely forgot my social skills. Tack onto that that our face is out of the Collective loop for a bit...and whammy, it's like having a sword wielding brick for a leader. Lol

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Bump! Do our mages have more questions?

28. - Top - End - #88

Augh, sorry, I should take care of that. I don't have much time tonight though- I'll try and have a list of questions ready sometime tomorrow morning.

29. - Top - End - #89

At this point, I also suggest using a commune question to ask whether or not the kiira actually IS in Battlegate. Call me paranoid. But that's definitely a question for Commune.

Of course, I also suggest using commune to confirm all of Sydil's answers as true if we don't have any other questions we'd like to ask.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay, forums are back! More questions:

• "In what way are the wards most likely to harm us?"
    • "Are the dreams/nightmares related to Midsummer in any way?" phrased to suggest "is there some fancy ritual related to them and Midsummer," not as in "are the guys behind this going to pull something on Midsummer"
    • If the answer to the previous question is yes, "Can we find out more about that relationship using/within the kiira?" otherwise skip this one

Any more ideas, Vael?

Show