New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Bleach in The Playground: Renewed Revolution (Setup And Discussion)

Alright, let's critique him from a narrative standpoint:

You designed a major villain for the sole purpose of death. You never design a major villain that way, as it completely undercuts the faction he works for. The equivalent would be Voldemort dying in the first chapter of a Harry Potter book, or The Emperor being murdered halfway through the first movie. Neither are good narrative viewpoints, as the deaths create a major power vacuum that is not interesting to read unless done by a master - and George R.R. Martin is not part of the RP. His age is also a narrative fallacy; as it implies he was 27 when the Hollows went into hiding. Twenty. Seven. Considering his looks, that would make him what, 6, 7 years dead? He would not be able to lead himself out of a paper bag, because he would be a Gillian at that point. Maybe. Even if you assume he was Arrancar-tier then, he'd have to spend the next 50 years doing nothing but train to get even close to attaining Segunda Etapa, and if he's the Hollow King he has no time to train. He has Hollows to rule, Hollows to command, and Hollows that must be forced under his heel, or else his empire will rebel.

That is not a good time to train. His very existence is a logical fallacy for Hollows, as he would have to have pulled them altogether in order to attack Seireitei, as well as train long and hard enough to attain Segunda Etapa.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

That's a fair criticism. I'd already given up trying to make a real villain out of him, and Segunda Etapa was always a longshot at best. Not sure if I'll end up playing him at all at this point.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eiko View Post
    Las Noches, The White City in the sand

The Grand city of Las Noches is built in a giant circle, made of four separate rings, the outermost two each divided into smaller segments. The outermost Layer is divided into 12 equally sized segments, or districts, the next into six, the penultimate forming one solid district and the palace of its Lord forming the centre of the circle. It is protected by enormous white stone walls, some 15ft thick and dominates the landscape around for unmeasured distance.

Outer Ring, City of the Hollow:
    The outermost districts of the city, behind the impressive walls of the city is the area free and open to all hollows who serve under Dainichi, be they arrancar or simply waiting to be converted; though the former are most decidedly second class citizens. The various districts here form a bizarre facsimile of what might be expected from soul society before its time of war. This ring provides for the everyday needs and administration of Las Noches, be it entertainment, industry or otherwise. Accommodation is spread dispersed throughout the districts, some containing much more than others. Each individual district is either dedicated to an ideal, or a purpose and is reflected by those who frequent them; some districts are understandably much less used than others but Dainichi orders that they be maintained.

Any hollow entering the city must do so through the 11th district, where they will be evaluated for their worth and motives and then moved on either to the 12th for storage or 10th to begin the slow process of arrancarification. Those too weak for even that are assessed for worth and assigned menial work in another district.

The entirety of the outer ring is organised under the direction of a number of Arrancar who proved more suited to bureaucracy than war, though few laws are maintained past what is needed for basic cooperation such as a ban on unsanctioned violence or theft. The law itself is enforced by a cadre of Arrancar with simple featureless masks covering their faces, they rarely speak and little is known of them but it is said they answer directly to the king himself.

The twelve districts are as follows, flowing clockwise round the city:
    1: The grand Library
    2: Industry
    3: Philosophy
    4: Education
    5: Art
    6: Administration
    7: The Grand Arena
    8: Farming of animal hollows
    9: Science
    10: Conversion
    11: Entry to the City
    12: Prison

Central Ring:
    The central ring is made of 6 evenly spaced and sized districts each of which belonging to one of the Espada, the six strongest Arrancar who answer only to the king himself. The districts are each separated by walls as grand and thick as make up the outer walls, but these are hollow and the space within them is used to traverse between the inner city and the outer districts, as well as the domains of each espada.

In each district are buildings and purpose as dictated by their ruling Espada, having been granted total authority and freedom within their walls to do as they please. Thus each of the six districts varies in style, layout and what type of denizens exist within.

[Further details to be added by any who wish to claim a district]

Inner City:
    The inner city is exclusively for arrancar, and only those who have proved themselves with loyalty, prowess or knowledge to one of the masked servants of the King. This is the domain of those powerful arrancar who form the backbone of Las Noches' fighting and scientific forces, a great deal more luxury is afforded to its denizens. They are free to visit other districts as they please and most fill their time either in the outer ring, or working for an Espada they have for whatever reason chose not to live in the domain of.

Central Palace:
    The grand palace Inhabited by Dainichi Nyorai, none may enter without approval of the masked police force who guard it. Few know of the interior that lurks beneath the plain spiralling shape of its exterior.
    Having read this, there isn't much for me to say. I'm not playing an Arrancar and I don't really plan on it either. I think it's a good write up though regardless. I think the other people on Team Villain should look it over however. So I'm going to bump it because it was kind of hard to miss since it wasn't marked in a spoiler.

Re: The R&D Division. I was just trying to let things go smoothly here. Arguing about it isn't going to help. I admit, running on 5 hours of sleep in three days doesn't lend itself to

1. Good write ups
    2. Rational Thinking
    3. Good health
    4. Sanity

So, now having slept a little more I hope I have some rational input.

1. The blend of Kido and Science seems to be the sticking point. I guess my original write up didn't convey that modern Science was on an upswing in the Order. I'll rectify that when I re-write it.

2. The New Captain of the R&D Division. Honestly Bob...I'm happy to work together on making the setting coherent and full but this honestly came completely out of left field. There wasn't any indication you wanted to do this until that post and it felt like you'd ignored the fact that the Captain had recently passed away. I was trying to put some literary drama in with a Captain being killed trying to defend the District and...Adding another Captain from a totally different Division feels....weird. Not to mention that this would be a person on the outside of the admittedly secretive and closed R&D Division coming in on the heels of the original Captain dying with the Vice Captain being snubbed for the position.

I suppose the point is, I'd have appreciated you at the very least talking to me about it first before hammering it out on your own especially after I moved Sawada to the R&D Division on your request. I am still happy to talk about it mind you.

3. The Name. As I pointed out, Military Orders name themselves utterly ridiculous things when given the chance. I understand that in the sake of the RP, making things clear for new players is probably a better idea. But if "We don't like the Gotei 13 so we're scrapping them" is a good enough excuse to scrap what is familiar to anyone coming here to play than finding the name Research and Development Division trite and boring is an equally valid reason for me to want to change it. I'll change it to something more clear however for the sake of me not having to argue about it again.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I mentioned that I was interested in making a Captain for the science portion. I thought at the point you had decided the previous captain was dead was just because there wasn't a captain character yet. I had no idea that was a major point for you.

Anyway, I'm not making said character any more, you can scrap my idea for that. In fact, I think I'm just going to stop with any more character concepts unless asked for something.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

You said either Healer or Science so I wasn't sure. But ok.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

On a phone, so short comments for now.

Re: Eiko's villain and Las Noches: I like his philosophy, but there is one big problem: the plan would work if the core group of Espada bought his philosophy wholesale, but none of the really powerful hollows so far fit the bill. One is too apathetic, the other is too warlike. Potential workaround: just the prospect of more power from becoming Arrancar was enough to reel them in? It may also be lack of commitment/internal conflict in the upper echelons caused a pause in their assault, laying ground for our game.

Re:Bob's villain: I actually have an idea regarding him. More on it when I get home.

Re: "Brain trust" etc.: remember thst there's a canonical archive for all data in soul society, open to Central 46. I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel in this case.

Re: R&D division: registry write up was made to be as close to canon as possible and I haven't updated it yet. However, you should notice that it reflected prejudice of non-members. Also, the "mysticism vs. science" does not translate to "kido vs. tech". More on this later.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post

Re: R&D division: registry write up was made to be as close to canon as possible and I haven't updated it yet. However, you should notice that it reflected prejudice of non-members. Also, the "mysticism vs. science" does not translate to "kido vs. tech". More on this later.
    I'm aware of the latter and I really didn't try to focus on the "Science v. Kido" aspect. I wanted to represent both can exist together hand in hand without being distinct from one another. I just don't think I conveyed that well. I'm re-writing it. Without further ado. This will be edited when I get time tomorrow.

Shinigami Science Institute: They Blinded Me with Science

The Shinigami Science Institute, as it’s known in the present day, can trace it’s roots to the very foundation of Soul Society itself and perhaps even further. The original founder of the Institute was known as the Sorcerer Eibon, an ancient spirit even at the time of what was then known simply as the Order. Eibon was considered a genius in the fields of kido and the inticicies of the Zanpakuto, some whispering he was the first to develop Bankai before even his peers. Found in the halls of the Dragon Spiral Tower, a massive pagoda set far away from the starts of Soul Society, those who were members of the Order followed and studied under the great Sorcerer and were granted the bounty of knowledge such a being possessed. As the Order progressed they spread their temple grounds outwards around the Tower and even traveling to the Mortal World, communing with the mortals and researching the flow of souls from the Mortal World to Soul Society and the place Hollows had within the cycle of death and rebirth. Rumor holds that Eibon, weary of his immortal life, allowed his most trusted advisors to slay him so that he could return to the mortal world a new to study that final journey. If the great Sorcerer’s findings were ever discovered, the Institute to this day keeps their lips firmly sealed on the topic.

But that was the past, and the Institute is not what it was under Eibon and his advisors. The Dragon Spiral Tower continues to loom over the Institute Grounds like an old and familiar friend but the lands about it have changed with the times. Modern gardens dot the well mapped out city roads and the incursion of Soul Society all around it are held at bay by large walls and artifically raised mountain peaks which give the Institute Grounds an ancient feel fitting it’s truly ancient origins. Food stalls line the streets, catering to the busy hustle and bustle of the largest Division in all of Soul Society. Rest buildings and bars line the modern streets, the men and women of the Division having long left the robes and ceremonial dress of the pervious Order for lab coats and modern clothing that wouldn’t look out of place in a mortal world city, even if a little dated. To all appearances, the Shinigami Science Institute appears open and inviting even if the many Division Members are in a constant hurry between meetings, labs and rest. The Institute Grounds never sleep, the glow of the floating lights replacing the bright sun at dusk while musicians and street performers hawk their trades. Such events give the Institute Grounds an almost festival like feel, though most performers are members of the Institute trying to raise private funds to fuel research that may well catapult their names to the height of fame within Soul Society and the Institute itself. Rail cars run along some of the many roads within the Institute, proto-types of the Institute that act as show pieces and testing grounds.

However, despite the glitz and glam, the Institute has a well earned reputation of xenophobia, evasiveness, hostility and no short measure of outright misdirection. Members of the Institute almost seem taught in double talk, revealing nothing of their goings on unless drug out by protocol and threats. Rumors and hear say surround the Institute speaking of dark experiments in the bowels of the depths underneath the streets they show to Soul Society at large. Ancient rituals and sacrifices are a common story told of the Institute along with snickered murmuring of the rampant drug use that pervade the Institute as well. Few dare to say such in front of Institute members however, and while such rumors run rampant in bars and bath houses alike few would trade the products the Institute with their blood soaked legacy for no Institute at all. Gigai, Kido, engines that run on spirit particles and many more wonders have slid out of the labs of the Institute and regardless of how they came about their impact and role in the strength of the Shinigami are undeniable.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Re:Bob's villain: I actually have an idea regarding him. More on it when I get home.
    I was planning on scrapping him, he really wasn't a very good character. First failed attempt at making an arrancar. But I'd still be interested to hear your idea.

Re: "Brain trust" etc.: remember thst there's a canonical archive for all data in soul society, open to Central 46. I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel in this case.
    The Brain Trust idea more had to do with my idea for an R&D Captain than anything else. I'm not trying to do that anymore.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Back on a computer. More on the "mysticism vs. science":

Kido is technology. It uses pre-determined chants to cause a known effect. I thought the "moderns" would buy into this wholesale, considering Kido not as "magic", but as "science" or how to use Reiryoku in non-standard manners. To them, experimenting and results would be the most important thing, tradtion be damned.

Now, the "traditionalists" would still hold a wider view of Kido, viewing it as a mystical practice and a path to self-enlightment. The would be against some unorthodox uses and experiments, seeing them as "unethical" or "sacrilege" because "that's not how things are done".

A real world analogue would be that of "Alchemists vs. Chemists" in history of science, or "Jutsu vs. Do" in martial arts. I thought it could make for a juicy conflict for a war-time organization.

The point here is that all of them would be heavy Kido users, and also do science too. The difference between "moderns" and "traditionalists" would not be whether they use Kido or not, but how and why they use it.

I don't have gripes with current write-up of the Shinigami Science Institute. Tebryn, would you like to write a blurb for the registry, or are you okay with the existing one?
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-09-18 at 01:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220

On the topic of Arrancar social structure, I originally made Jehoel with the thought in mind that there wouldn't be a Las Noches in this game, and that the Arrancar would be much more disorganized than they are turning out to be. Even within this setting, he's not subordinate material at all; trying to tell Jehoel what to do is like politely asking a hurricane if it could go the other direction.

Honestly, I just don't know how well the Espada system fits in with the new Las Noches. Why do we need them? We don't seem to have enough interest to fit all, or possibly even any of the slots. It might make more sense to eliminate the Espada and the Central Ring and just separate the city into the Outer Ring and Inner City. Dainichi can still have captain level warriors, but this would leave their number a bit more fluid.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe we could found the Espada organization in the game, if we get enough player interest?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Maybe we could found the Espada organization in the game, if we get enough player interest?
    That's a possibility. Really for now I only use the term "Espada" to describe power-level among arrancar.

And if there are no objections, I'm going to revise Victor Vicente and add him and my other hollow character to the registry at my next convenience. VV won't be sticking around for long.

The question then becomes how does the RP start? Has the Hollow invasion started? Are we mid-battle? In the calm after the first wave?

13. - Top - End - #223

That sounds like an excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    The question then becomes how does the RP start? Has the Hollow invasion started? Are we mid-battle? In the calm after the first wave?
    It doesn't really matter to me.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd suggest a bit of mix, with Hollows running rampant in far reaches of Rukon while Shinigami regroup in Seireitei, and Danichi struggles to find interested followers to fulfill his vision in Las Noches.

Meanwhile, Mortals are doing their own invidual things.

For all I care, we could start the game right away, because the above setup, with all sides being more or less in disarray, would allow for us to slowly introduce new characters. At least I don't need more than the existing characters to get started with Mikael and Yui.

Oh, by the way, any comments on Yui?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

For all I care, we could start the game right away, because the above setup, with all sides being more or less in disarray, would allow for us to slowly introduce new characters. At least I don't need more than the existing characters to get started with Mikael and Yui.

Obviously there's more to her than meets the eye. An intriguing first impression, but there's obviously a lot underneath the surface that I can't comment on because I don't know about it.

16. - Top - End - #226

She seems a bit familiar.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

They say war brings out the best and worst in us.

That is wrong.

They say war gives us heroes and villains.

That is wrong.

War is not black and white, it is merely differing shades of gray. But not a normal gray, no - this gray is stained scarlet by blood, and remains uncleaned by necessity.

Fifty years ago, the Hollows retreated. Not a small retreat either; no, they completely vanished off the map. They did not attack the Mortal Realm, they did not enroach upon Soul Society territory. They disappeared, completely and totally, never to return, according to some.

Except that was wrong.

Seireitei should have never become so complacent.

For when the Hollows came, they did not hold back.

Blood spilled over the green grasses of the Outer Districts - one of them, Number 78, was nicknamed "The Scarlet Garden", for it had been a beautiful place until the blood poured over the ground, going so deep that it could never be truly free of the stench of death and decay.

Recruits poured in by the hundreds - even Mortals could feel the fray from across the veil of death, and those who could aid immediately jumped to action.
    Of the front page

So ya. The first wave of attacks have started if we go off that. Which I hope we do, considering I wrote my character's back story around it.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

@Dorizzit: I brought that persona of hers back just to torment Sora. Though under the surface, she's a lot different from before.

However, her character history gave me a chance to tell the greatest story left untold of her in the past game. It's obviously lost to all new players, but maybe you and terry can appreciate it.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-09-18 at 04:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Even if she's a lot different, I'm hardly unhappy to see a version of my favorite character from the last game returning.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

There are two reasons I expect hollows to flock to Dainichi's banner. The first, freedom. One of the key things that cannon made us aware of about bleach is that Arrancar no longer have to eat to stave off devolution, after entering the city they can escape the constant fight for survival. Even amongst the most powerful denizens of the sands that nagging fear that they could one day loose everything they had attained is a powerful driving force.

The other is power; Arrancar have dramatically more than standard hollows so even those not swayed by offers of security, indeed some may enjoy the constant fighting, may be tempted by the easy increase to their abilities.

In regards to the city, the design will be as listed though the actuality will be quite different. Some sectors of the city will be flooded, the arena and more base entertainment, where others may be nearly unoccupied such as the library or the sector given to philosophy. The reason the city is the way it is is to reflect the wheel of life, since the character himself is littered with references to Buddhism. There may not yet be 6 Espada level Arrancar in terms of power, but there will be 6 chosen Arrancar who have been gifted with control.

I appologise for leaving things in spoilers, I feel guilty cluttering up threads with walls of text

I'll be going through Dainichi's write up again to add clarifications and extend the various descriptions.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Eiko View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    In regards to the city, the design will be as listed though the actuality will be quite different. Some sectors of the city will be flooded, the arena and more base entertainment, where others may be nearly unoccupied such as the library or the sector given to philosophy. The reason the city is the way it is is to reflect the wheel of life, since the character himself is littered with references to Buddhism. There may not yet be 6 Espada level Arrancar in terms of power, but there will be 6 chosen Arrancar who have been gifted with control.
    As long as there is a reason, I have no objection.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have gripes with current write-up of the Shinigami Science Institute. Tebryn, would you like to write a blurb for the registry, or are you okay with the existing one?
    Just change the names and stuff. Otherwise it's ok. I'm not fully done but will be soon.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Name: Hijū Naijeru

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Naijeru is a monster of a man. He stands at a staggering and freakish height of 7'4". When he was alive he was referred to as the Demon of the sea. While he is tall he also sports an inordinate amount of muscle. The man looks almost like a boulder with how ripped he is. When he was alive he was frequently known to bend iron bars. He has a dark skin color and hair that seems almost silver in color that is long enough to be tied in a small ponytail and is fairly smooth. He rarely wears a shirt and if he does wear one he basically can be predicted that he will end up ripping it by the end of the day. He wears a white jacket with black sleeves and pure white pants. He has multiple scars that are visible on his body. He also has one that covers one eye leaving only one sky blue orb clear. Oddly enough he wears five rough rings on his fingers.

Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Naijeru is loud and boisterous. He enjoys fun, fighting, and booze. He can often be found at the bar treating his friends to a round of drinks on him. With his laid back personality he often fancies himself of a ladies man. He is always up for a friendly brawl anywhere anytime. However his friends know that a friendly brawl to Naijeru might as well be a fight to the death for them. Sometimes he seems to not even know his own strength. He often slacks in his paper duties though he always gets around to it. He is not above asking an Unseated to do it though. Not for free of course, a round of drinks at the bar is the usual reward for such a favor. The men in the Assault division refer to him as Big Bro most of the time his close friendship with each member being the reason for such. He tends to try to keep the division as close as possible, fully believing in the power of Nakama.

History
    Spoiler
    Show
    Naijeru was a pirate captain back his day. He was known as 'Crusher Naijeru'. While his reputation and physical prowess were fierce he often inspired loyalty. He was somewhat spiritually aware in his life but he often passed the hollows he saw off as mermaids. He eventually died of a pirate attack on his ship that had occurred at his crews hideout. He felled quite a few attackers before he fell, even managing to kill their captain. In death he was as boisterous as ever. He joined the Seireitei under the 11th squad due to his pure crushing power. In fact he took on the Road to Hell when he first joined the 11th squad. He passed with flying colors and was smiling like a madman when he finished. Before he joined his reiatsu was actually powerful enough to choke regular spirits.

Things seemed to be going good for Naijeru when he did something that might as well be called heresy in the 11th division. He performed Kido, in a match with the captain no less. He still lost of course, but from that moment onward he was always an outsider to the 11th division. Feeling betrayed by his division Naijeru started spending less and less time at the barracks an more in the training fields often working himself to exhaustion. Eventually he requested a transfer to the 6th division. It was only a few short years later that the Divisions started merging. Suddenly Naijeru was working with the people who spurned him. However he still had those that worked with him in 6th on his side. He has been slowly trying to win over those who still resented him from the former 11th division.

Zanpakuto
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gurētokurāken (Great Kraken)- Great Kraken's unreleased form takes the shape of an odachi. Oddly enough with Naijeru's freakish height the sword is not unwieldy to him. Great Kraken's spirit world is deep under turbulent waters in what would eventually be called the Bermuda triangle. However In his spirit world there are always large animal, monstrous enlargemenst of natural sea predators. Great Kraken is constantly fighting them all.

Great Kraken takes the form of the beast of legend itself towering over Naijeru like an underwater Godzilla. He often is brash rude and perverted. It is increadibly easy for Naijeru to talk to him and they often hang out in their spare time."

Shikai:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drag them to Davy Jones locker, Gurētokurāken- Naijeru's shikai transforms his Zanpakuto into an oversized anchor. The metal shaft measures 6.5 ft. The metal prongs are very thick and curve back about half the length of the shaft. It is engraved with pictures of sea battles and a Kraken facing an armada. It also has a chain that allows him to use it at a distance. Oddly enough Naijeru wields the weapon smoothly and with no trouble.

This weapon grants Naijeru the strange power of Gravity Manipulation. This power allows Naijeru to do many things, the most obvious being crushing and the like. You know his namesake. However the Reversal of gravity is not out of his reach, neither is localized gravity to say, increase the strength of his strikes. However Naijeru can only be affecting Gravity in one direction at any given time. So he can't say, increase downward gravity to paralyze an enemy and then give them a gravity enhanced punch. It would require him to use gravity fields in two seperate directions. At his level he can only exert 10G's of force at any given time.

Bankai: Not yet acheived. Basic rundown for possible acquirement, summoning of the Kraken along with Increased gravity power, only in intensity not in versatility.

Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show
    Naijeru excels in close combat and as such has an almost unparalled skill in Zanjutsu and Hakuda. His Kido is fairly low level and his strongest spell is the Shot of Red Fire spell. His flash step ability is average and nothing to write home about.

So guys is the new and revised Naijeru okay for this game?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Shinigami Science Institute: They Blinded Me with Science

Spoiler
    Show
    The Shinigami Science Institute, as it’s known in the present day, can trace it’s roots to the very foundation of Soul Society itself and perhaps even further. The original founder of the Institute was known as the Sorcerer Eibon, an ancient spirit even at the time of what was then known simply as the Order. Eibon was considered a genius in the fields of kido and the inticicies of the Zanpakuto, some whispering he was the first to develop Bankai before even his peers. Found in the halls of the Dragon Spiral Tower, a massive pagoda set far away from the starts of Soul Society, those who were members of the Order followed and studied under the great Sorcerer and were granted the bounty of knowledge such a being possessed. As the Order progressed they spread their temple grounds outwards around the Tower and even traveling to the Mortal World, communing with the mortals and researching the flow of souls from the Mortal World to Soul Society and the place Hollows had within the cycle of death and rebirth. Rumor holds that Eibon, weary of his immortal life, allowed his most trusted advisors to slay him so that he could return to the mortal world a new to study that final journey. If the great Sorcerer’s findings were ever discovered, the Institute to this day keeps their lips firmly sealed on the topic.

But that was the past, and the Institute is not what it was under Eibon and his advisors. The Dragon Spiral Tower continues to loom over the Institute Grounds like an old and familiar friend but the lands about it have changed with the times. Modern gardens dot the well mapped out city roads and the incursion of Soul Society all around it are held at bay by large walls and artifically raised mountain peaks which give the Institute Grounds an ancient feel fitting it’s truly ancient origins. Food stalls line the streets, catering to the busy hustle and bustle of the largest Division in all of Soul Society. Rest buildings and bars line the modern streets, the men and women of the Division having long left the robes and ceremonial dress of the pervious Order for lab coats and modern clothing that wouldn’t look out of place in a mortal world city, even if a little dated. To all appearances, the Shinigami Science Institute appears open and inviting even if the many Division Members are in a constant hurry between meetings, labs and rest. The Institute Grounds never sleep, the glow of the floating lights replacing the bright sun at dusk while musicians and street performers hawk their trades. Such events give the Institute Grounds an almost festival like feel, though most performers are members of the Institute trying to raise private funds to fuel research that may well catapult their names to the height of fame within Soul Society and the Institute itself. Rail cars run along some of the many roads within the Institute, proto-types of the Institute that act as show pieces and testing grounds.

However, despite the glitz and glam, the Institute has a well earned reputation of xenophobia, evasiveness, hostility and no short measure of outright misdirection. Members of the Institute almost seem taught in double talk, revealing nothing of their goings on unless drug out by protocol and threats. Rumors and hear say surround the Institute speaking of dark experiments in the bowels of the depths underneath the streets they show to Soul Society at large. Ancient rituals and sacrifices are a common story told of the Institute along with snickered murmuring of the rampant drug use that pervade the Institute as well. Few dare to say such in front of Institute members however, and while such rumors run rampant in bars and bath houses alike few would trade the products the Institute with their blood soaked legacy for no Institute at all. Gigai, Kido, engines that run on spirit particles and many more wonders have slid out of the labs of the Institute and regardless of how they came about their impact and role in the strength of the Shinigami are undeniable.

Major Locations

The Dragon Spiral Tower: The centerpiece of the Shinigami Science Institute, nestled between two mountain peaks preserved as parks and surrounded further by the ever expanding Soul Society. The Dragon Spiral Tower acts, as it always has, as the dorms for the Institute since the days of the Order though rooms are doubled up and additional buildings have been built over the years to house the ever growing numbers of the Institute Members. The Tower itself remains the central testing and training grounds for Kido, the ancient structure having been reinforced with various technologies and spells over it’s long history. The final floor is open, a well maintained garden and grove of cherry trees giving any and all members of the Institute a place to rest when the public gardens and parks are full.

Laboratory Seven: Known through out the institute only as Laboratory Seven and barely known at all through Soul Society, Lab Seven is the operational facility where Mod Souls are born, trained and placed into sleep until they are required for use.

The Shrines: The Institute operates various projects all around the Soul Society however they are not above operating in the Mortal World. The Shrines are ten facilities scattered through out the mortal world and are perhaps the most well guarded secret of the Institute. These Shrines are built deep underground, scattered around the world in case one or more of the Shrines become operational. Each Shrine contains a self destruct device as well, in case they are breached by foreign elements which can be remotely triggered from not only the other Shrines but Soul Society as well. Few know what the Shrines hold, fewer still what they were built for. Even the previous Grand Sorcerer spoke in hushed words to the Captain Commander concerning the Shrines.

The Phoenix Temple and the Tiger Temple: The two largest temples in all of Soul Society, the Phoenix and Tiger temples sit on either side of the Dragon Spiral Towers built in the early days of the Order, potentially by Eibon himself. The Temples are less maintained and protected than Dragon Spiral Tower, sections having been rebuilt over the years. The Temples act as respites and libraries for Kido and their practitioners in the ever modernizing Institute. It is claimed that each hold a single Forbidden Kido that Eibon himself created before his death. While such a fable is true, the temples themselves hold the spells in their architecture and design, rather than as a musty old scroll that could deterorate with time.

Rail Systems: While not spread through out Soul Society, the Shinigami Science Institute operates a small closed rail circuit leading from the Dragon Spiral Tower to the gates of the Institute. The Rail System is only open to members of the Institute for free, others required to pay a small fee to use the transit system.

Structure of the Shinigami Science Institute

Grand Sorcerer: Yasonobu Shenryu (Deceased)

Head Researcher: Yasonobu "Kurohime" Sawada

Senior Researcher:

Junior Researcher:

Mod Souls: Mod Souls make up a large number of the combatants of the Institute as many of the Shinigami Members are either not proficient in front line combat or high stress situations. Mod Souls are activated generally in case of emergencies and most are not granted autonomy unless the situation is especially dire or a free thinking Mod Soul is required.

Edit: I suspect Sawada will be traveling between Soul Society and the Mortal World quite a bit. So if any characters would like to plan for some interaction I'd be more than happy to do it.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-19 at 04:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Eiko, I updated registry's blurb on Hueco Mundo. Others should look into it as well.

The key point here is that like Eiko noted, the Espada are not strictly the strongest Arrancar around. Accounting for Dorizzit's reasoning how Jehoel wouldn't really submit to anyone, we have an interesting scenario where the 2nd most powerful Hollow character to date is a Numeros. I have nothing against this, since it's a breath of fresh air after the strict hierarchy of past games.

As a note to everyone making write-ups for Divisions, once done place them in the registry, preferably in a post of their own. This will make it easier for me to link to them in the registry master list.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Combat Corps AKA "The Pack"

Spoiler
    Show
    While every division of Seireitei has their own warriors, the Combat Corps are an entire class devoted to physical strength. Their focus is entirely battle, and their daily lives and training reflect that. Strength and loyalty are the most important aspects that members of the Combat Corps consider when judging their peers. While many Shinigami join the Combat Corps with a hope of becoming stronger and seeing real action, few stick around once they realize how intense the training is.

There's not much in the way of written history for the Combat Corps. A minimum amount of physical records are kept, and instead the daring tales of the past of the Combat Corps are told by word of mouth, the stories becoming grander with each generation.

Despite their demeanor as a bunch of hard-headed bloodthirsty berserkers, which isn't completely undeserved, the members of the Combat Corps are well trained in combat tactics, especially the seated officers. Their casualty rate is kept much lower than it could have been based simply on the fact that the higher ranking officers know when to order a retreat and where to focus their forces in a large fight.

The first thing a newcomer grunt learns is humility. Exercises are particularly long, grueling, and painful, and the unseated troops routinely haze the new guy. All so that a newcomer can let go of any arrogance they might have so they can follow orders and not get themselves recklessly killed. That being said, troops who last long enough will eventually find the Combat Corps to be a fiercely loyal and welcoming band of brothers (and sisters), who would equally sacrifice their lives and simultaneously refuse to leave a man behind.

Kido, gadgets, Zanpakuto with special abilities, and other such aspects not related to pure physical strength are silently frowned upon. It's an unwritten rule that members of the Combat Corps are judged based on purely their physical strength and skill. In live combat, kido, etc. are plenty appreciated as they help keep the troops alive. When it comes to training, sparring, or duels between members of the Combat Corps, kido and other such things are labeled as "cheap tricks" and using them against other members of the Combat Corps is frowned upon by all.

"The Pack" is a very recent nickname for the Division based on how the very beast-like Kiba seems to be the current defacto leader for the group.

Division Structure

The structure of the division is much looser than other divisions. First, the Captain of the Combat Corps has always been a Kenpachi, a title bestowed to the physical strongest, and a title that has always been passed down through a deathmatch between the previous Kenpachi and whomever wishes to take that title, or, if the Kenpachi dies of other causes, he names a worthy disciple. However, recently the most recent Kenpachi, Kenpachi Osuma, died defending Rukongai from a surprise attack by Arrancar. By the time he was found, he was already dead, in his arms a scared child from Zaraki whom he died protecting. Without a named heir, no one in the division is sure what happens to the title of Kenpachi, or how a new captain would be named. Even if a new captain was appointed by the Captain-Commander, to the Combat Corps, the new captain would be captain in name-only, a substitute until a rightful Kenpachi assumed command.

For now, Vice-Captain Kiba takes charge of leading the group, leading tougher training sessions than ever before. Kiba's daily training sessions are often taking on the entire division with "cheap tricks" of course barred. The troops are lucky to end the "training session" with only minor injuries. Routinely at least a dozen unseated officers are hospitalized. So far, only the seated officers give Kiba any real trouble, but he hasn't lost one of these matches yet.

Behind the Captain and Vice-Captain in rank are an indeterminate number of seated officers. The actual numbers of the seats change frequently as seated officers constantly challenge each other to duels with rank on the line. They proudly display what number seat they are, but the number changes so often that everyone outside of the Combat Corps refers to them by other names and titles that stay constant. Each seated officer has about a dozen or so unseated shinigami as their personal squadron to undergo unique training and specialize in whatever the seated officer desires. There can be any number of seated officers, but the test to become one is an excruciating endurance test and obstacle course where even a Zanpakuto is forbidden to use, even unreleased, and at the absolute fastest the obstacle course takes at least a week without rest to overcome. Kiba currently holds the fastest time for this trial, but that's likely because it's his usual element.

Major Locations

The Barracks - The majority of the Combat Corps live in group quarters in the barracks. There are two wings, one for men and one for women (though the women's wing isn't nearly as populated). There are group baths and a joint cafeteria. Private cabins exist for the seated officers nearby.

The Training Grounds - The Training Grounds can actually describe the majority of the Combat Corps grounds. There's everything from large barren lots to gyms to sports fields, though most of it is a little run-down, due to the Combat Corps' lack of appreciation for aesthetics. There are several different obstacles courses, ranging from difficult to near impossible.

Hellpath - The hellpath is the granddaddy of all obstacle courses. Using a Zanpakuto, Kido, or other special abilities it's difficult but doable, but in order to truly complete it as intended one has to leave behind their Zanpakuto and forego the use of Kido, Shunpo, or any items to complete it. The details are largely left secret, but what is known is that every Captain, Vice-Captain, and seated officer since the founding of the Combat Corps has added a new obstacle.

Kenpachi no Tousha - Formerly the private quarters of Kenpachi Osuma, this building is the only part of the Combat Corps kept immaculate out of respect. Theoretically, Kiba could use these quarters for himself since he's acting captain, but since he prefers the outdoors anyway, the building is left untouched as a memorial. Perhaps one day if a Kenpachi is named will it be occupied again. Inside is a large natural boulder jutting up out of the ground, vaguely sword-shaped, with the names of all the Kenpachi over history engraved on it.

Hierarchy

Kenpachi: Kenpachi Osuma (Deceased)

Vice-Captain: Kiba

Third Seat: Hiju Naijeru
    Squad:

Other Seated Officers:

Unseated:

Relationships with other Divisions

Commander Division - Despite the fraternal nature of the Combat Corps, nearly all still recognize their loyalties as shinigami. The Combat Corps recognizes the authoritative position of the Commander Division and usually follows orders without too much trouble, as long as they don't terribly conflict with Combat Corps ideals. Kiba himself doesn't show much loyalty to the Commander Division as he does to the previous Kenpachi's ideals, but more or less follows direct orders because in his mind that's what the previous Kenpachi would've wanted. When it comes to bureaucracy, red tape, and politics, the Combat Corps stays out.

Internal Security - Members of the Combat Corps can get a little rowdy, and sometimes internal affairs steps in, but Combat Corps generally takes care of their own and vouches for one another. Punishments are preferred to be handled within the Combat Corps, which causes some friction between the two divisions.

Logistics & Medicine - Considering these are the people patching up the Combat Corps on nearly a daily basis (sometimes literally in Kiba's case), the Combat Corps respects this division and sets aside its usual grudges against Kido and the like. If anything, they might complain about not getting back on active duty fast enough, and sometimes this division complains that wounds aren't getting treated when the Combat Corps members insist that it's just a flesh wound.

Reconnassaince - The higher ranking officers in particular share a close relationship with the Recon division, as the Combat Corps uses their information to form battle tactics and strategies. Their continued good relations rely on the Recon division's competency and success of their function.

Shinigami Science Institute - If the Combat Corps could vote one division off the island, metaphorically speaking, it'd be these guys. Science? Sorcery? On the one hand, some of this stuff might be useful down the line. On the other hand, the Combat Corps sees them as delving where they ought not to be. The Shinigami Science Institute brings the superstition out of members of the division, and they're hardly trusted.

EDIT: AnimeKid you might want to take a look at this.
    Re: Frozen Feet: I'll post this once I make sure there aren't any strong objections.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2012-09-19 at 09:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess then the question is should we start? I know a few other people have mentioned making a character but no word from them since.

28. - Top - End - #238

Accounting for Dorizzit's reasoning how Jehoel wouldn't really submit to anyone, we have an interesting scenario where the 2nd most powerful Hollow character to date is a Numeros.
    Not even that.

29. - Top - End - #239

Combat Corps AKA "The Pack"

Spoiler
    Show
    While every division of Seireitei has their own warriors, the Combat Corps are an entire class devoted to physical strength. Their focus is entirely battle, and their daily lives and training reflect that. Strength and loyalty are the most important aspects that members of the Combat Corps consider when judging their peers. While many Shinigami join the Combat Corps with a hope of becoming stronger and seeing real action, few stick around once they realize how intense the training is.

There's not much in the way of written history for the Combat Corps. A minimum amount of physical records are kept, and instead the daring tales of the past of the Combat Corps are told by word of mouth, the stories becoming grander with each generation.

Despite their demeanor as a bunch of hard-headed bloodthirsty berserkers, which isn't completely undeserved, the members of the Combat Corps are well trained in combat tactics, especially the seated officers. Their casualty rate is kept much lower than it could have been based simply on the fact that the higher ranking officers know when to order a retreat and where to focus their forces in a large fight.

The first thing a newcomer grunt learns is humility. Exercises are particularly long, grueling, and painful, and the unseated troops routinely haze the new guy. All so that a newcomer can let go of any arrogance they might have so they can follow orders and not get themselves recklessly killed. That being said, troops who last long enough will eventually find the Combat Corps to be a fiercely loyal and welcoming band of brothers (and sisters), who would equally sacrifice their lives and simultaneously refuse to leave a man behind.

Kido, gadgets, Zanpakuto with special abilities, and other such aspects not related to pure physical strength are silently frowned upon. It's an unwritten rule that members of the Combat Corps are judged based on purely their physical strength and skill. In live combat, kido, etc. are plenty appreciated as they help keep the troops alive. When it comes to training, sparring, or duels between members of the Combat Corps, kido and other such things are labeled as "cheap tricks" and using them against other members of the Combat Corps is frowned upon by all.

"The Pack" is a very recent nickname for the Division based on how the very beast-like Kiba seems to be the current defacto leader for the group.

Division Structure

The structure of the division is much looser than other divisions. First, the Captain of the Combat Corps has always been a Kenpachi, a title bestowed to the physical strongest, and a title that has always been passed down through a deathmatch between the previous Kenpachi and whomever wishes to take that title, or, if the Kenpachi dies of other causes, he names a worthy disciple. However, recently the most recent Kenpachi, Kenpachi Osuma, died defending Rukongai from a surprise attack by Arrancar. By the time he was found, he was already dead, in his arms a scared child from Zaraki whom he died protecting. Without a named heir, no one in the division is sure what happens to the title of Kenpachi, or how a new captain would be named. Even if a new captain was appointed by the Captain-Commander, to the Combat Corps, the new captain would be captain in name-only, a substitute until a rightful Kenpachi assumed command.

For now, Vice-Captain Kiba takes charge of leading the group, leading tougher training sessions than ever before. Kiba's daily training sessions are often taking on the entire division with "cheap tricks" of course barred. The troops are lucky to end the "training session" with only minor injuries. Routinely at least a dozen unseated officers are hospitalized. So far, only the seated officers give Kiba any real trouble, but he hasn't lost one of these matches yet.

Behind the Captain and Vice-Captain in rank are an indeterminate number of seated officers. The actual numbers of the seats change frequently as seated officers constantly challenge each other to duels with rank on the line. They proudly display what number seat they are, but the number changes so often that everyone outside of the Combat Corps refers to them by other names and titles that stay constant. Each seated officer has about a dozen or so unseated shinigami as their personal squadron to undergo unique training and specialize in whatever the seated officer desires. There can be any number of seated officers, but the test to become one is an excruciating endurance test and obstacle course where even a Zanpakuto is forbidden to use, even unreleased, and at the absolute fastest the obstacle course takes at least a week without rest to overcome. Kiba currently holds the fastest time for this trial, but that's likely because it's his usual element.

Major Locations

The Barracks - The majority of the Combat Corps live in group quarters in the barracks. There are two wings, one for men and one for women (though the women's wing isn't nearly as populated). There are group baths and a joint cafeteria. Private cabins exist for the seated officers nearby.

The Training Grounds - The Training Grounds can actually describe the majority of the Combat Corps grounds. There's everything from large barren lots to gyms to sports fields, though most of it is a little run-down, due to the Combat Corps' lack of appreciation for aesthetics. There are several different obstacles courses, ranging from difficult to near impossible.

Hellpath - The hellpath is the granddaddy of all obstacle courses. Using a Zanpakuto, Kido, or other special abilities it's difficult but doable, but in order to truly complete it as intended one has to leave behind their Zanpakuto and forego the use of Kido, Shunpo, or any items to complete it. The details are largely left secret, but what is known is that every Captain, Vice-Captain, and seated officer since the founding of the Combat Corps has added a new obstacle.

Kenpachi no Tousha - Formerly the private quarters of Kenpachi Osuma, this building is the only part of the Combat Corps kept immaculate out of respect. Theoretically, Kiba could use these quarters for himself since he's acting captain, but since he prefers the outdoors anyway, the building is left untouched as a memorial. Perhaps one day if a Kenpachi is named will it be occupied again. Inside is a large natural boulder jutting up out of the ground, vaguely sword-shaped, with the names of all the Kenpachi over history engraved on it.

Hierarchy

Kenpachi: Kenpachi Osuma (Deceased)

Vice-Captain: Kiba

Third Seat: Hiju Naijeru
    Squad:

Other Seated Officers:

Unseated:

Relationships with other Divisions

Commander Division - Despite the fraternal nature of the Combat Corps, nearly all still recognize their loyalties as shinigami. The Combat Corps recognizes the authoritative position of the Commander Division and usually follows orders without too much trouble, as long as they don't terribly conflict with Combat Corps ideals. Kiba himself doesn't show much loyalty to the Commander Division as he does to the previous Kenpachi's ideals, but more or less follows direct orders because in his mind that's what the previous Kenpachi would've wanted. When it comes to bureaucracy, red tape, and politics, the Combat Corps stays out.

Internal Security - Members of the Combat Corps can get a little rowdy, and sometimes internal affairs steps in, but Combat Corps generally takes care of their own and vouches for one another. Punishments are preferred to be handled within the Combat Corps, which causes some friction between the two divisions.

Logistics & Medicine - Considering these are the people patching up the Combat Corps on nearly a daily basis (sometimes literally in Kiba's case), the Combat Corps respects this division and sets aside its usual grudges against Kido and the like. If anything, they might complain about not getting back on active duty fast enough, and sometimes this division complains that wounds aren't getting treated when the Combat Corps members insist that it's just a flesh wound.

Reconnassaince - The higher ranking officers in particular share a close relationship with the Recon division, as the Combat Corps uses their information to form battle tactics and strategies. Their continued good relations rely on the Recon division's competency and success of their function.

Shinigami Science Institute - If the Combat Corps could vote one division off the island, metaphorically speaking, it'd be these guys. Science? Sorcery? On the one hand, some of this stuff might be useful down the line. On the other hand, the Combat Corps sees them as delving where they ought not to be. The Shinigami Science Institute brings the superstition out of members of the division, and they're hardly trusted.

EDIT: AnimeKid you might want to take a look at this.
    Re: Frozen Feet: I'll post this once I make sure there aren't any strong objections.
    The fact that the Combat Corps frown upon kido and such. This division is every single combatant combined. Any battle-oriented kido expert, any expert of kido that is solely related to combat goes here. Frowning upon that would not only be stupid it would be deadly to the frownees. They would die the first time they refused to trust the bakudo expert, or ignored the hado expert's opinion on opponents.

Also, I thought you were running the science division.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-09-19 at 04:23 PM.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    The fact that the Combat Corps frown upon kido and such. This division is every single combatant combined. Any battle-oriented kido expert, any expert of kido that is solely related to combat goes here. Frowning upon that would not only be stupid it would be deadly to the frownees. They would die the first time they refused to trust the bakudo expert, or ignored the hado expert's opinion on opponents.
    Except that's not what it says.

Bolded is the relevant bit. They just find Kido/Gadgets and other "cheap tricks" dishonorable in training situations. Bob is obviously going for a very Samurai style feel for the Combat Division. It makes sense they'd frown on, but still accept the use of, Kido and all that other stuff. To the Combat Division, pure combat strength based purely on ability is the only way to get respect in the Division. Anything else is acceptable for the rest of Soul Society. But not for them. Never for them.

Also, I thought you were running the science division.
    No, I am. Bob was going to make a Captain for it and wanted to add some MAD SCIENCE to what he felt was not a 50/50 split between SCIENCE!!! and Kido so he suggested several pieces of fluff. He's since retracted his Captain for the Shinigami Science Institute.

Where as I agree with Frozen Feet. Science and Kido are not mutually exclusive terms. While I don't have the Traditionalist/New Age dichotomy that he put forward, there is certainly some hold outs on the Old Order and the New Institute. They are however completely left to any character who is made for the Institute and not something I am going to push as a story element because...I don't feel that such a division in the Division is needed for drama. We've got a war with the Hollows on with the fate of the Mortal World hanging in the balance. Drama is in good supply.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-19 at 06:24 PM.