New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bleach in The Playground: Renewed Revolution (Setup And Discussion)

Is it ok to make a kaizoukonpaku character for both world play?
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    The fact that the Combat Corps frown upon kido and such. This division is every single combatant combined. Any battle-oriented kido expert, any expert of kido that is solely related to combat goes here. Frowning upon that would not only be stupid it would be deadly to the frownees. They would die the first time they refused to trust the bakudo expert, or ignored the hado expert's opinion on opponents.

Also, I thought you were running the science division.
    Tebryn summarized it pretty well. I was originally going to make a captain to help flesh out the science division, but he'd already covered that in his backstory so I backed off. Besides, I realized that since Osuma was either going to die before the RP or early on, I'd basically be running it with Kiba, and there's definitely no need for me to be running two divisions.

There are/can be plenty of Kido users within the division. It's just in order to succeed and get promoted they need to be physically strong as well. The only people that the Combat Corps would be suspicious of someone would maybe be one of the sorcerers/scientists from the Shinigami Science Institute. And even then it's more thinking twice before they drink that strange vial of liquid the science institute handed them before going into a fight. At worst, a Kido-heavy character in the Combat division will just get teased occasionally by his comrades.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I had to google this. You could play a Mod Soul yes.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Sure. I had a mind to maybe play a mod soul eventually as well, just couldn't see where he'd fit yet.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Not even that.
    ... I went and put down a new category for Hollows just to account for that.

With the addition of "Outlaws" to Soul Society and "Innumerables" to Hueco Mundo to account for loose cannons, I'm personally satisfied with organization of the existing sides. I'd rather we not add much more.

The fact that the Combat Corps frown upon kido and such. This division is every single combatant combined.
    Nitpick: all Divisions are, technically, combat-ready. That's why I suggested "Assault" for the name of the Combat Division.

They are the core of Seireitei's brute force, the sword that strikes against the enemy - it's not necessary for them to account for all combat styles, just like a real-life Tank Company wouldn't need to account for their air or artillery support.

Of course, there'd still be Kido-capable people in Combat, because all Shinigami who go through the Academy are taught Kido! Evidence: Renji, who canonically used to belong to 11th, but is seen casting Kido (badly...).

Of course. In this game, they might have much more room than before, since they are not under threat of extinction.

EDIT: To elaborate: in this iteration, SSI utilizes Kaizoukonpaku to make up for shortage of Shinigami. So it'd make sense for there to be more of them running around in both Soul Society and living world.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-09-20 at 02:15 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Nitpick: all Divisions are, technically, combat-ready. That's why I suggested "Assault" for the name of the Combat Division.
    Agreed.

Also, I'm open to alternate name suggestions, though "Assault" seems off to me. I'm having difficulty explaining why.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground

... I went and put down a new category for Hollows just to account for that.
    Muchas gracias.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bleach in The Playground: Renewed Revolution (Setup And Discussion)

On the topic of Hollows and rank, is there a big connection between power-level and intelligence among Hollows? I seem to remember that the weaker Hollows were usually fairly mindless compared to the stronger ones, but it has been long since I have read much Bleach. ^_^'

On a note for the Carroll-based character I mentioned a while ago, are Kido a set-in-stone list or do they vary? The mysticism vs. modernism discussion made me wonder if it was possible for characters to have their own spin on Kido rather than all drawing from a standard set.

Sorry for asking more questions than contributing with characters, I shall try to get sheets done soon! ^_^
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    On the topic of Hollows and rank, is there a big connection between power-level and intelligence among Hollows? I seem to remember that the weaker Hollows were usually fairly mindless compared to the stronger ones, but it has been long since I have read much Bleach. ^_^'
    In the canon at least, there were plenty of crafty lesser hollows like Shrieker and that one who attacked Tatsuki and Orihime and awakened the latter's powers while the Espada had Yammy who was powerful but a big dumb rock. So not necessarily.

On a note for the Carroll-based character I mentioned a while ago, are Kido a set-in-stone list or do they vary? The mysticism vs. modernism discussion made me wonder if it was possible for characters to have their own spin on Kido rather than all drawing from a standard set.
    In canon? Yes. For the RP? Not sure. Depend on how the others making the setting changes want to interpret that.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

There is some connection - namely, higher-level Menos become more human-like, and Arrancars are always more human in both form and thought.

I'd say all Hollows start pretty smart, but devolve into mindlessness as they succumb to their madness. They reach the bottom as Gillian, who are nothing but beasts. From there, they start climbing towards higher cognitive ability again.

But as Bob noted, it's as much a case of personality. Power doesn't preclude one from being a dumbass.

There are a lot of gaps in the Kido list. There are numbers with no spells, and some spells without incantations. I'd be more than happy if people came up with new spells, or came up with chants for the existing ones.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm confused on what you mean actually. Like their own spin on Kido like...String Theory versus Loop Quantum Gravity? Or different spin as...like Sorcerer versus Wizard in D&D?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I'm confused on what you mean actually. Like their own spin on Kido like...String Theory versus Loop Quantum Gravity? Or different spin as...like Sorcerer versus Wizard in D&D?
    To continue with the analogy, I'm pretty sure he just wants to write his own sourcebook for new [Kido] spells to add to his [Kido] spell list.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Any of the answers is fine really, I was just trying to clarify

Edit: People also tend to forget that there is other magic in Soul Society besides Kido. It hasn't seen any use in the story since the Rescue Rukia arc but the Shiba Family seemed to have their own Fireworks related Spells and Earth Magic. Would people be ok with me incorporating that into the Institute?
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-21 at 06:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bleach in The Playground: Renewed Revolution (Setup And Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    In the canon at least, there were plenty of crafty lesser hollows like Shrieker and that one who attacked Tatsuki and Orihime and awakened the latter's powers while the Espada had Yammy who was powerful but a big dumb rock. So not necessarily.
    Thanks, that helps a lot. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    In canon? Yes. For the RP? Not sure. Depend on how the others making the setting changes want to interpret that.
    I see, that should not be too much of a problem. To the wiki!

There are a lot of gaps in the Kido list. There are numbers with no spells, and some spells without incantations. I'd be more than happy if people came up with new spells, or came up with chants for the existing ones.
    I most likely will not, since I am not too experienced with how Kido works, but I might make a suggestion or too. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I was wondering if it was like a D&D Wizard's spell list, in which every spell has a specific effect and the user needs to know a fitting one to do what they wish or a skill that could be used for attempting anything, but just usually used for common manoeuvres.

It seems to be the former, but that just means I have to do a bit of research for the tricks I might like a character to do.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Ya, Kido is a hammer which is just used to hammer things down in the manga with a singular expection. Momo. She's the only person so far that we've seen use Kido in a cunning and intuitive way.

Also, since I added it in the edit. How do people feel about Earth Magic and...what ever it's implications maybe being added to the Institute?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Earth magic? What, where? o.O

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

It was used by Shiba Ganju during the Invasion of Soul Society quite extensively. He even used a Kido like spell with his fireworks. Here's his bleach wiki page however.

The relevant bits are at the bottom however.

Earth Magic: Ganju's earth magic doesn't seem to operate on the same principal as standard Shinigami Kidō, as it is used without incantation and is unnumbered.

Seppa (Stone Wave), by moving his hand in the same pattern as the trembling current the sign of the Shiba clan, Ganju can reduce anything he touches to sand. He normally uses this as a delay tactic, blasting through walls in order to run away, but he has demonstrated that it has other potential uses in a fight; such as when he used it to sink Ichigo's Zangetsu into the ground up to the handle, effectively rendering it useless. He can also perform "Seppa" with his feet. He has also shown the ability to project a Stone Wave in order to break the fall of himself and Ichigo upon arriving in Seireitei.
    Renkan Seppa Shen (Stone Wave Fan of Linked Rings): Essentially a larger version of Seppa, this technique reduces all the surfaces around Ganju, not just the part that he touches, to sand.
    and

Kakaku Shahō Niban: Kagizaki (Crane Flower Archery Twofold Style: Wresting Bloom): A two-part incantation spell for launching and controlling a large firework. The initial spell controls the launch and its direction, then continuation spell is used to adjust the acceleration and axial position.
    Incantation - Initial: "Yonder, brown avarice covet control of the 36 directions. 72 pairs of illusions, 13 pairs of hunting horns, the right hand of a monkey grasps the star. Embraced by the sun of 25 rings, the cradle of the sand gives forth blood!"

Incantation - Continuation: "Fate of the three sparrows, bond of the four dragons, obstructing the five directions, return to the six villages. Heavenly wind, orangutan, spoon, cane of elm, a thousand ashes, a thousand wisdoms, the measure of white clouds, tread not on the scarlet light that embraces the moon..."
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-23 at 02:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, that. I have no problem with including that in their curriculum, since it's canon ability and all. Maybe their architechtural engineers would specialize in it?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, that. I have no problem with including that in their curriculum, since it's canon ability and all. Maybe their architechtural engineers would specialize in it?
    I meant more, including it and expanding on it. Kido is Kido but...that's directly called out as Magic. But I have no problem with the Architectural engineers having it as a specialization.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-23 at 03:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're going to stick to the guidelines derived from canonical Earth Magic, then they should all be limited to alteration of existing substances, as opposed to conjuring things from wholecloth.

Actually, I think that'd be a fairly nice and clear distinction between the two. Roughly:

Kido: creation of objects and natural forces from one's Reiryoku.
    Elementalism: alteration of existing substances without changing their basic nature.

This does raise the question what Void Magic should do. The others are fairly straight-forward.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're going to stick to the guidelines derived from canonical Earth Magic, then they should all be limited to alteration of existing substances, as opposed to conjuring things from wholecloth.
    I don't see why we should go from canon. It's a shame it wasn't explored more in the series but there is so many other things wasted or lost that it's barely without mention.

Actually, I think that'd be a fairly nice and clear distinction between the two. Roughly:

Kido: creation of objects and natural forces from one's Reiryoku.
    Elementalism: alteration of existing substances without changing their basic nature.
    I don't think that's a bad idea really.

This does raise the question what Void Magic should do. The others are fairly straight-forward.
    Well...I actually deleted that bit of the post more because I didn't really know how to parse it out at that moment. Earth Magic seems to reduce things to sand. How would that translate with wind, water and fire?

As for Void...I figured we could just leave it out without any real harm

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

For fire, it's bolstering or extinquishing existing flames and directing their spread. Useful for firefighting, but also certain construction processes. Since many Kido generate fire, it would also be useful in defending against them or reducing collateral damage.

For water, it's turning ice to liquid or evaporating liquids, and vice versa. Widely useful for, say, gardening, or defending against ice-based Kido.

For air, what's left is pretty much controlling movement and direction of gases. Minor wind-based defensive and offensive ability, but could also be useful for generating vacuums in closed spaces.

Earth could be widened to reversing the original process, that is, turning loose ground into solid blocks for construction.

Also, terry made me do this because he's lazy ():

The Commanding Division: Gotei 6 Headquarters

Spoiler
    Show

Once, there was neither Gotei nor Seireitei - there was just the Shinōreijutsuin, where ghosts with great power were taught to use it for the benefit of those alive and dead both. However, as time passed, some of these souls began arguing that since they had more power and duties, so they should have more rights too. The Spirit King acknowledged this, and so the Noble Houses were formed. Not everyone was happy with this change. Some people rebelled, and the Houses had to raise their own milities to keep the unruly peasants at bay. Uneasy peace was restored... but as more time passed, one of the five Houses grew much bigger than others. Head of said house was not above abusing his position, and started placing demands on the other Houses, threatening them with violence should they disobey.

The other four appealed to the Spirit King for help. The King, starting to feel threatened by the fifth House himself, turned to the founder of Shinōreijutsuin, Izanagi-no-Mikoto, for help. He agreed, on the condition that all four of the disparate Noble Houses would surrender command of their militias to him. Grudgingly, they accepted. Once the fifth house saw the might of all its rivals placed under the commaned of the eldest Shinigami in existence, they surrendered without a fight. All members of the House were stripped from their Zanpakuto, and they were exiled to the far reaches of Rukongai. Ever since, there have been just four Noble Houses.

But though civil war had been averted, Izanagi saw that should the Nobles be allowed too much independence, such situation might arise again. The King saw wisdom in his words, and so Gotei 13 was founded, to protect the King and his court from threats both internal and external, and to ensure Shinigami would remain united in spirit and purpose ever since. This happened some fifteen centuries ago.

Much has changed since then, but the 1st Division, Headquarters, still exists. It's the Division that's been in operation for the longest, overseeing organization and actions of the whole Gotei. It's where Captains gather to plan long-term strategy and co-operative missions, where performance files are kept of every person on Gotei, and where leadership training for new Seated Officers is often arranged. It's also where most everyday paperwork regarding the organization is done, with reports coming in and going out constantly. Most low-ranking officers and Unseated in HQ are couriers and, in increasing amounts, IT support personnel, for ensuring smooth flow of information between all Divisions. They also have gardens for breeding Hell Butterflies.

The past Commander-General, venerable Izanagi-no-Mikoto, used the King's Key to go to the Royal Palace and procure help from the fabled Royal Guard shortly after the start of the recent crisis. He has not been seen since. Fortunately, he left behind a letter and (supposedly) the Key for his successor.

Major locations:

Barracks:
    The 2nd tallest of HQ buildings, it's a wooden building standing on ancient stone foundations. The uppermost floor has a great hall is divided into two parts by a sliding door. The first part (about on-quarter of the hall) is a waiting room and the Vice-Captain's office; the rest three-quarters serve as the Commander-Generals office and place for Captains' meetings - it has great view over Seireitei due to walls that can be slid to the side. Lower floors hold living quarters and offices for other HQ personnel.

Canteen: a low but vast wooden hall separate from the barracks, it has a large kitchen and myriad tables for serving food to all HQ personnel and whoever happens to be visiting.

Jigokuchō gardens: at the edge of HQ grounds lie six plexiglass greenhouses filled with various plantlife. These serve as home and breeding ground for Jigokucoho used for Shinigami communications.

Communications towers: a huge modern radiomast sticking from between the ancient stone and wood buildings, it's one of the two main link towers for Reiphone network, the other one residing in Reconnassaince grounds. Next to it is a heavily-guarded building responsible for recording all radio communications in Seiretei. It also has main server room for electronic communications in Seireitei.

Black Dragon Gate:
    a traditional Ryokan, that is, an inn, used for housing guests from Noble Houses or other people who can't be made to stay in the Barracks. Despite its initially unassuming appearance, it is a very luxurious establishment, with everything there being of finest quality available. As a result, it's also hideously expensive for non-nobles or HQ personnel to get a reservation.

Organization:

Commander-General: The leader of whole Gotei 6. While Seireitei is under martial law, the Commander is the effective ruler of whole Soul Society.
    Vice-Captain: supervisor of most everyday affairs in HQ. Should something happen to the Commander, the Vice-Captain assumes command over Gotei.
    Seated Officers: higher-ranking officers work on new strategies and training curriculums for Officers in all Division. Lower-ranking officers oversee information channels and direct couriers.
    Unseated Troopers: mostly couriers, carrying information and messages when other means would be unsuitable or unsafe.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-09-23 at 06:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

For fire, it's bolstering or extinquishing existing flames and directing their spread. Useful for firefighting, but also certain construction processes. Since many Kido generate fire, it would also be useful in defending against them or reducing collateral damage.

For water, it's turning ice to liquid or evaporating liquids, and vice versa. Widely useful for, say, gardening, or defending against ice-based Kido.

For air, what's left is pretty much controlling movement and direction of gases. Minor wind-based defensive and offensive ability, but could also be useful for generating vacuums in closed spaces.

Earth could be widened to reversing the original process, that is, turning loose ground into solid blocks for construction.
    Sounds fine to me.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So... what all needs to be done before we can actually start?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Terry needs to get our IC thread up. On AIM, he said he was working on it.

Besides that, we just need to get to playing and hope we attract more players to fill the empty spots.

26. - Top - End - #266

I need to write no less than 3 seperate OPs:

Seireitei's, The Mortal World's, and Hueco Mundo's.

It's gonna be annoying.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

I need to write no less than 3 seperate OPs:

Seireitei's, The Mortal World's, and Hueco Mundo's.

It's gonna be annoying.
    Wait. Why? Can't we just have one thread? We don't have to many people? Might I suggest, at least for now, a single thread with something akin to this? I got it from a game that I am playing in that's also mostly free form.

It would be something like

Character: Sawada
    Time of day: Afternoon
    Date: December 30th

This would allow us to keep in a single thread, and also allow us to have multiple scenes going on at multiple times without having to keep track of timelines and things like that.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-24 at 01:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268

3 seperate OPs, ergo [I]three different worlds[I]. Its all one thread, but different places. Even if it weren't one thread, id still need an introduction for MW, HC and SS.

Typed on my droid, my bad for typosnand such.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Has anyone made a potential captain for the head of the Internal Security Division? I was originally going to go for Reconnaissance, but I think Internal Security might work better with the more political direction I wanted to take.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

No one has no.