New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Connection and Contention (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiplanar View Post
    Outwardly, Reynald smiles at Malenth's curiosity. The older man gets up, motioning for the noble to do the same. There was no more time to be wasted here: they would need to get to Morganstern Hall, to the Signing Chambers. However, behind the mask Reynald cannot help but feel a tinge of disappointment clouding his satisfaction.
    He is already displaying arrogance... Making assumptions and asking questions in an informal manner. His smile is good for the public, but in here it is anything but appropriate. Does he truly not know that the test isn't over until he signs the admission papers? Reynald turns to the mage, stepping close. His voice is slightly hoarse: the product of several sleepless nights.
    "I will say this but once. Yes, sometimes we will expect loyalty without answering your questions. The Morganstern Society operates on a strictly need to know basis. You will buy nothing: as an apprentice, you have no Society holdings and as such are not a liable source of capital. All funding is to come from the Society treasury. Now, follow me. There is of course paperwork that needs doing." His speech over for the time being, Reynald leads the fire mage out of the Sapphire Swan, out into the street. He looks around. The tavern seemed to be somewhere in the Noble District, by the looks of their surroundings. Gods, it had truly been a lifetime since he was back here. From this very corner, the merchant could pick out the way to his old manor! The temptation to take a trip down memory lane nearly overwhelms him, but Reynald shoves back down into oblivion. Time for that later, perhaps. His thoughts are interrupted by a foreign voice.
    Sir? We have found an interested party. A thief, seems kinda desperate to get out of Aldhaven, of you ask me. His price was a bit too low.
    That's alright, Kirin. We'll just have to keep an eye on him as well. I have no doubt that we will run into our fair share of trouble along the way. That's just the way of the universe.
    As you say. Where should we meet?
    Hmmm... let's say outside the Hall, in an hour. I have a recruit with me, he will need to sign some papers before we can get him up to speed.
    Reynald had barely noticed the route Dimitri had led him on to get him here, but he knew the route to Morganstern Hall easily enough. Nodding once, he sets off, navy blue coat streaming behind him and ivory cane at his side.

Malenth rose with his contact, suprised by the sudden decision. He seemed to have decided that he would recieve a yes before the fact. "I can understand the need for secrecy where sensitive matters are concerned, but in a situation like this one, the more I know about this warlord the better my ability to plan. I doubt I'd be much good to you as simple hired muscle."

Fastening his cloak and putting his hat back on, Malenth followed Reynald into the street. "With your hurry, I assume time is of the essence. Lead on then, Mr Lheureux."

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Jägerstein gives off a big grin. "Tha' sounds interestin'. Ave never had Dragon Stew before, sounds good."

The Dwarf walks over to some stairs. "Come 'ere, n' bring yer stuff. Ah can' have you sleepin' out 'ere when ah still 'ave people drinkin' down 'ere still, now can we?"

If he follows him, he'll find the Dwarf's upstairs room. It's rather nice and quaint, full of earth tones. Thankfully, it has a high ceiling, so you don't have to crouch as you walk in. The roof is a cross-thatching of branchesThe walls are lined with shelves and cabinets, which have yet to be filled with books, beer, herbs, and other tools of this Druid's trade. Streams of sunlight pour through the windows, and all of the furniture is set in place. Under the window is a long couch which doubles as a bed.

"Ya can sleep 'ere, n' use yer roll fer a blankie. Now, if ya don' mind, ave got a pub to run."

The Dwarf heads back downstairs to cater and see what shenanigans his Bear has gotten himself into.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Lanath
    Lanath rubs the midday sun out of his eyes. Even after all these years, noon could still be a deadly time of day for a drow. Usually, his men are advised to cover up around this time. Moreover, as a commander Lanath tried to avoid engagements of any kind during these hours. The Legion had made healthy progress during the day, crossing the tributary at its shallowest point. They were entering the foothills now, the crags rising all around them. Lanath glances over his shoulder. The wagons seemed to be falling behind again. By the Underscourge, could they really not keep up? The terrain was getting harder to navigate, but that was little excuse. The urge for harsh discipline, however, is mitigated by circumstances. A good warlord expected diligence from his men, but he knew when to chastise and when to reward.
    "Aumerle. Gather a team to replace today's wagoneers, and send them to me. I want them here in five minutes at most, fully armed. Tell the rest of the marching captains that the pace can be slowed down somewhat. We've made good time today, I don't want to tire them out." Climbing to the top of the nearest rise, the drow takes a sweeping survey of the valleys in which his Legion has found itself. The mountain range did not seem too much closer from this location, but Lanath knew the deception of distance well. It would only be a day or two before his company made it to Aldaris Pass. Then, they would need to prepare. As it stood, their supplies were in good condition, but it was no secret that food would be scarce up there. Furthermore, they would need to familiarize themselves with the surrounding area, in order to set traps and ambushes for the Society members that would come chasing them. Down here, all kinds of game and berries existed, a stark contrast to the wintery steppes above. Even now, Lanath could almost feel the chill in his bones. He takes a moment to breathe in the valley air before hopping down to face the group that had already assembled. The wagoneers. Himself included, the party would number at eight. Perfect.
    "You all know why you are here. Now, since you have proven to be useless at directing beasts, you will be directed by them. The seven of you are to scout out the surrounding area, while hunting down supplies. I have instructed your replacements and the rest of the column to set a slower pace towards the mountains, so if you cannot find the Legion, that means you have fallen behind. Don't bother coming back before dusk, and without getting at least one clean kill." As he dismisses the now-hunters, Lanath's fingers begin to itch. There it was, the hunger for blood. In a flash, Harbinger is out of its sheath on his back and is held out in front of him. Dark, necromantic energy runs down the shaft and across the blade of the spear. It hums softly. It had been too long since he bathed his blade in blood. Lanath looks to his second-in command. He nods once, taking off after the smaller group into the underbrush.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-08-19 at 11:20 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #64

GnomeWizardGuy

Iothfrahar takes his things upstairs and lays down on the couch. After a half hour of rolling around he throws his bedroll on the ground and curls up next to Gix. A few hours later he gets up and goes downstairs I don't sleep much anymore and the couch is uncomfortable as hell. he says simply before pouring himself an ale and starting work.
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2012-08-19 at 11:18 PM.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Connection and Contention (IC) Now Open!

Reply from Gyork to Wilstaff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    If Gyork continues to look through his glass, he will see a a pair of specks heading toward his clan at a plodding pace. They grows closer and closer, revealing themselves to be an old, red-skinned hobgoblin, ropy muscles flexing tightly as he grips the reins of his slow-moving and similarly elderly horse with what appears to be mortal terror, and a human with a quiet air of dignity about him astride a somewhat less ancient steed. They approach the halfling camp, and the hob dismounts, bending down and kissing the ground as he does so. He then looks to his companion.

Good grief! I could feel my life flashing before my eyes every time this speed demon took a step. Why must we embrace such a hair-raising mode of travel, dear B?

The human says nothing.

Yes, I know, keeping up appearances. Still, this has to be like seventh on my list of preferred traveling methods, well below 'carried by several buxom babes'. Or even 'carried by magically animated rotting piles of flesh', for that matter.

He then remembers they are not alone, and turns with a grand sweeping gesture to face the halflings.

Greetings, tiny almost-people! I am Chief Advisor Wilstaff, and I give you a message in the name of The Boss: we surrender!

He looks over his shoulder at the human behind him.

No? That's not right? What part did I-oh, right! I'm sorry people, I meant you surrender. Yes, that's it. You surrender to us or we shall destroy you. However, if being destroyed would put a crimp in your long-term goals, we offer an alternate solution: you pay us an exorbitant wage, and in return we raze your enemies to the ground and make you a dominant force in this area. You have no less than seventeen minutes, and also five additional 'bonus time' minutes to decide. Thank you for choosing Blue Hands Inc. for all your ultimatum needs.

He then awaits their response while having a long and rather one-sided argument with his human friend about who had received the more comfortable saddle for their ride.
    Gyork is surprised by the sudden turn of events. From his perch in the rocks, he watches two individuals of the hobgoblin camp riding toward his camp. Just two.

"What are these two characters trying to pull?" Gyork removes a phial of water and a basin from his bag and pours the liquid in. After a few incantaions murmured under his breath, the water stills and the two slow moving members of the Hob' Clan come into view. "Better warn the camp, Tonda. We have some uninvited guests."

Tonda hurried off, disappearing around the bend. Judging by the speed the strangers were traveling, she would reach the clan before they did. Aside from the cries of unhappiness from the hobgoblin, the two weren't discussing anything that might give themselves away. He let the spell go and climbed a little higher on the rocks.

Through his spyglass he watched Tonda finish threading her way through the outcroppings. She moved quickly for one of her size, and he was pleased to see her make it to the camp ahead of the two. Grenier appeared from his tent, and walked out to meet the two, with one of his guards. Looks like they were going to try diplomacy. Surely two members of a clan were sent to make some sort of offer of alliance. Whatever the case, it took balls to walk to a potential enemies camp unsupported. He couldn't help but wonder if they had an exit strategy. He focused on the pool in front of him, and watched it ripple and then still once more. This time he focused on his Clan leader - Grenier. He was just slowing as the two opposing clans met, just outside the Halfling camp. Guards were watchful but kept thier distance.

If Gyork could describe the two Hobgoblin members, "strange" would downright be an understatement. One didn't talk at all, the other spoke in a conflicted nature. One moment he was saying that he surrendered, the next, asking Grenier TO surrender. Gyork liked this less and less. He assumed Tonda had told Grenier the size and organization of the Hobgoblin camp. If the Hobs and them battled, it would be heavy losses on both sides. The Halflings likely would not benefit, even if they did win. Easy pickings for another clan. Grenier certainly didn't look happy. Ultimatums. Gotta love em.

Grenier spoke a word of introduction to him and his personal guard, Jethos. Seeing as time was of the essence, he got straight down to business. "What kind of 'exorbitant wage' are we talking about, Wilstaff?" Grenier looked wary to Gyork, and well so. The non-assuming pair from the Hob clan provided ample threats, but they were only two. Still, the Halflings were not unfamilar with the power of the clan. After all, there used to be an orc clan in the area the Hobs were now residing. This wasn not an empty threat.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-08-20 at 07:42 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Replying as Captain Deneth Vims to Graeden and Greenwing:

Spoiler
    Show

Replying as Graeden to Deneth and the (HOLY CRAP WHERE DID THAT GUY COME FROM) Greenwing:

Spoiler
    Show

“Aye, returning,” Graeden replied, stifling a yawn. He waited for the Captain to sit and took the other available to him at the table. Deneth got the seat he’d have liked in any case - it faced the door. Graeden always liked seeing what was going on and who was coming in. He’s nosey, some might say. Curious, others might answer. Honestly, Graeden’s job was to be both. You pick up some habits when that was the case. For instance, he always cut up all his food before eating it. He never slept with the window unlocked. He put a piece of paper in the crack of his door so he’d know if it had been opened. Paranoid, maybe, but he was still alive, and it helped him sleep. “Been on the wall for a couple of years now. Used to do foot, though. That was hairier, but I kinda liked that. Take last night. We get this small band of orcs demanding entry. Wanted to get at some drow he claimed was in the city…but he likely just wanted to cause trouble or check out our defenses. They’ve been getting braver.” He sighed at that. They had the whole of The Reach, why would they need Asarenholm? Aldhaven was happy to let in orcs, it was these bands of them that were the problem. And worse, now people were profiling orcs. The Guard had more and more reports of attacks ON orcs than the other way around.

"And between you and me... there aint no avoiding paperwork... it always gets you in the end!"

“Well, I—“

And then leaning against the wall appears a green skinned dragon man. He eyed the thing warily, but it seemed the captain was unperturbed. In fact, it seems they were friends. Deneth didn’t even flinch. After introductions were made, he found that the man was from House Astrine. I thought it was another House that was affiliated with dragons…

“Graeden Leventhair,” he said, offering a hand. “That’s a neat trick you got there, mind sharing your secret?”

Deneth mentioned eating the pies while they walked, and so Graeden offered Greenwing one of his own. He didn't think he could or should finish two this late in the day. He asked Deneth if he wanted Graeden to walk with them or if to head on home.

Spoiler
    Show
    [quote]

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    "Oh yes, I agree with your tactics on keeping a secret so long as you are not being actively followed. However, secrecy isn't the issue at all in this case. The invisibility is just my personal taste for theatrics. You know how I love to shock and awe the rubes. We can talk while you walk."

As they take a stroll and the Captain enjoys his pies, Greenwing Drake catches him up to speed.

"Apparently last night, Edward Zane, a small-time petty thief pulled off the caper of his life. He absconded with several very valuable heirlooms from the Houses, especially the recently recovered Cup of Astrid. There is also a concern that one of the items taken was home to a powerful efreeti. If that creature is released, recovery of the items will get... complicated. Not to mention the threat the man will represent. As a marqued agent of one of the major houses, it is my prerogative to accomplish the tast set out by my leal lord by any means necessary. When I thought of allies I would need to help me in this fight, you were the first I thought of. I ask your aid in tracking down and apprehending the thief. You're the best trained investigator I know. Besides, if things do go sour, I figured you could beat out the efreeti's power through sheer crusty stubbornness if nothing else."

"Oh, and I object to being accused of being on the nobles' side. I'm not nearly so heartless. Besides, it's more like they're on my side."

The old captain gave a short nod to Graeden noting the interesting part about an orc band close to the city. That meant more reports...

He indicated that the man should follow if he wished realising how tiring he must be and wondering if he would chose to be part of these discussions but all these thoughts were quickly cast aside for the shake of the new case before him.

"Interesting. You did well to come to me not only because of my personal abilities Greenwing but also because its the right thing to do... we have had this discussion before and we both know where I stand on how marqueed agents are basically vigilantees with a crown valid permit... but crime and stopping it belongs to the Guard..." he says firmly.

"But, given that we go a long way back and that I actually like young Jana I can allow you to join in the investigations and work as a consultant... just be aware that unfortunate accidents of the thief after his capture is something I often enough investigate more than the theft itself given how I dislike people dieing in my cells... just saying so that we are clear..." he continues before mellowing out.

"So. Lets start with the basics, I dont have much to do this morning so let us take a stroll at the scene of the crime and see what exactly was stolen and how... I would assume the Houses and all their fancy private security, as they dont want us guarding them and dirtying out the place, must have had top notch stuff so before we even get there I can tell you that someone must have helped him out..."

And with that the old hound was off. His pace quickened and his posture changed from one of curious amusement to hardened determination. His feet made almost no sound on the stone bricks that comprised many of the city's newest roads. He kind of disliked those... he used to know where he was in the city just by walking with his eyes closed and letting his feet sense the land below from his thinly soled boots... but those bricks where still a new thing for him... oh well... adapt and improve...
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The old captain gave a short nod to Graeden noting the interesting part about an orc band close to the city. That meant more reports...

He indicated that the man should follow if he wished realising how tiring he must be and wondering if he would chose to be part of these discussions but all these thoughts were quickly cast aside for the shake of the new case before him.

"Interesting. You did well to come to me not only because of my personal abilities Greenwing but also because its the right thing to do... we have had this discussion before and we both know where I stand on how marqueed agents are basically vigilantees with a crown valid permit... but crime and stopping it belongs to the Guard..." he says firmly.

"But, given that we go a long way back and that I actually like young Jana I can allow you to join in the investigations and work as a consultant... just be aware that unfortunate accidents of the thief after his capture is something I often enough investigate more than the theft itself given how I dislike people dieing in my cells... just saying so that we are clear..." he continues before mellowing out.

"So. Lets start with the basics, I dont have much to do this morning so let us take a stroll at the scene of the crime and see what exactly was stolen and how... I would assume the Houses and all their fancy private security, as they dont want us guarding them and dirtying out the place, must have had top notch stuff so before we even get there I can tell you that someone must have helped him out..."

And with that the old hound was off. His pace quickened and his posture changed from one of curious amusement to hardened determination. His feet made almost no sound on the stone bricks that comprised many of the city's newest roads. He kind of disliked those... he used to know where he was in the city just by walking with his eyes closed and letting his feet sense the land below from his thinly soled boots... but those bricks where still a new thing for him... oh well... adapt and improve...
    Greenwing and Cronies

Greenwing follows the Captain to the scene. He doesn't deign to reply about who has authority or who is helping whom in this case. "Calling marqued agents sanctioned vigilantes is the most silly thing I've ever heard. Good one. If someone is officially sanctioned, then they are by definition NOT vigilantes. Your logic would paint the Guard as officially organized vigilantes. I can promise you that when Zane is lawfully executed, it won't be while being held under your authority.

As for the private security that House Licorta had guarding the palace, I personally don't trust them much either. Their loyalty was purchased, and I do not trust that.
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying to Deneth as Graeden:
    Spoiler
    Show

Graeden saw this as his chance to get away from anything resembling duty, being that he was off the clock. He nodded and thanked the captain for his generosity, and then headed off in the direction of his home on the edge of Midtown. He expected he would sleep quite well that night. Deneth was right. The meat pie was quite delicious. He'd have to remember the n...crap. It seems the name had already slipped through his fingers. Someday when he was less tired, he'd have to find it again. He supposed he'd only have to follow the wonderful smells.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post

Malenth rose with his contact, suprised by the sudden decision. He seemed to have decided that he would recieve a yes before the fact. "I can understand the need for secrecy where sensitive matters are concerned, but in a situation like this one, the more I know about this warlord the better my ability to plan. I doubt I'd be much good to you as simple hired muscle."

Fastening his cloak and putting his hat back on, Malenth followed Reynald into the street. "With your hurry, I assume time is of the essence. Lead on then, Mr Lheureux."

Their progress is fast. After all, there is little stopping the two, and Reynald is in somewhat of a hurry. As the pair speed through the Aldhaven streets, the old merchant's calm exterior begins to crack. Sweat beads down his forehead and around his lips, the product of both effort and concern. Truly, he had no idea what awaited him at Morganstern Hall. From what he had seen with the Polyae girl, things had changed in his absence. There was a sort of... sanctity before. A sense of decorum, even amongst the criminals and the schemers. He couldn't feel that, not anymore. Making sure that Malenth continued to follow, Reynald approached the doors of the Hall. He greets the doorman, who stands with his mouth open and eyes wide. Clearly, he was not expecting Reynald.
    So, they have yet to tell any of the others of my return into the Aldhaven world. This should be interesting. He knows the way by heart: after all, he had been one of the planners of this very building. There was not a secret passage or ancient nook that Reynald did not know. Into the entrance hall, through the first corridor on the left and up a flight of stairs. Of course, knowing the way and walking the way differ greatly. He had often dreamed of returning home triumphant, his enemies vanquished at his feet. A hero. It wasn't supposed to be this way. As they walk, Reynald cannot help but feel countless gazes on him. Couriers stop in their tracks and clerks drop their utensils. His step quickens: there was only so much of the staring that he could take. He guides the fire mage through the entrance hall, the corridor and up the stairs. At the top of the staircase, Reynald stops. Facing the pair is a set of rather ornate double doors. The wood is beech, inlaid in silver, and the Society crest is engraved into the metal. On either side of the portal is a statue, encased in armor. Beyond was the Hall of Transcription, the chamber at the heart of Morganstern Hall. It is here that new initiates are brought to bind themselves to the Society, under the penalty of law and order. Mr. D'Everet's time was fast approaching.
    "Are you ready?"

Winner of the MtG card design contest 'Winner is the Judge', Week 5!

10. - Top - End - #70

Spoiler
    Show
    Their progress is fast. After all, there is little stopping the two, and Reynald is in somewhat of a hurry. As the pair speed through the Aldhaven streets, the old merchant's calm exterior begins to crack. Sweat beads down his forehead and around his lips, the product of both effort and concern. Truly, he had no idea what awaited him at Morganstern Hall. From what he had seen with the Polyae girl, things had changed in his absence. There was a sort of... sanctity before. A sense of decorum, even amongst the criminals and the schemers. He couldn't feel that, not anymore. Making sure that Malenth continued to follow, Reynald approached the doors of the Hall. He greets the doorman, who stands with his mouth open and eyes wide. Clearly, he was not expecting Reynald.
    So, they have yet to tell any of the others of my return into the Aldhaven world. This should be interesting. He knows the way by heart: after all, he had been one of the planners of this very building. There was not a secret passage or ancient nook that Reynald did not know. Into the entrance hall, through the first corridor on the left and up a flight of stairs. Of course, knowing the way and walking the way differ greatly. He had often dreamed of returning home triumphant, his enemies vanquished at his feet. A hero. It wasn't supposed to be this way. As they walk, Reynald cannot help but feel countless gazes on him. Couriers stop in their tracks and clerks drop their utensils. His step quickens: there was only so much of the staring that he could take. He guides the fire mage through the entrance hall, the corridor and up the stairs. At the top of the staircase, Reynald stops. Facing the pair is a set of rather ornate double doors. The wood is beech, inlaid in silver, and the Society crest is engraved into the metal. On either side of the portal is a statue, encased in armor. Beyond was the Hall of Transcription, the chamber at the heart of Morganstern Hall. It is here that new initiates are brought to bind themselves to the Society, under the penalty of law and order. Mr. D'Everet's time was fast approaching.
    "Are you ready?"

Malenth kept pace with the old banker as he raced through the city. It would seem that the situation was more urgent than he thought. While his daily sword drills kept him in better shape than Reynald, Malenth did not have the stamina for long distance running, and soon began sweating and panting alongside his contact.

As the pair approached Morganstern hall, Malenth slowed his pace slightly in order to catch his breath. As he followed Reynald through the building, he made sure his hair and clothing were still presentable, all the while taking note of the architecture, layout, and general environment of the building.

Coming to a stop before a pair of massive double doors, Malenth straightens his hat. "Mr Lheureux, I was ready from the moment I walked into the Saphire Swan."

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Spoiler
    Show

Malenth kept pace with the old banker as he raced through the city. It would seem that the situation was more urgent than he thought. While his daily sword drills kept him in better shape than Reynald, Malenth did not have the stamina for long distance running, and soon began sweating and panting alongside his contact.

As the pair approached Morganstern hall, Malenth slowed his pace slightly in order to catch his breath. As he followed Reynald through the building, he made sure his hair and clothing were still presentable, all the while taking note of the architecture, layout, and general environment of the building.

Coming to a stop before a pair of massive double doors, Malenth straightens his hat. "Mr Lheureux, I was ready from the moment I walked into the Saphire Swan."

"Good. Prepare yourself." The banker moves the mage aside, taking a place directly opposite the doors, in the center of the antechamber. He closes his eyes, and speaks two simple words.
    "Solium lovis." In the split silence that follows, Reynald's eyes snap open, a brilliant blue. It is broken by the grinding of stone on steel, as the two golems awaken. They take hold of the doors, pushing them open wide and opening the passage into the chamber beyond. The space is quite sizable for a building such as the Morganstern Hall, an oval construction that spans several stories below them and into darkness above. Six immense pillars span the gap between sky and earth. Ahead, a staircase descends downward. The entire chamber gleams as if buffed to perfection. However, Reynald can almost feel the age in the place, despite the date of construction being only a decade before. He takes a deep breath, inhaling the dust accrued by years of invention.
    "Welcome to the Hall of Transcription. You are one of hundreds of initiates to walk these steps. Follow me please, Mr. D'Everet. Just a little bit farther now." He begins to walk downwards, towards what looks like a slab made of light in the center of the chamber. As they get closer, the slab begins to glow with a golden hue, burnished motes swirling around the pair. Halfway there, Reynald stops. He holds out his arm, gesturing forward towards the center.
    "I can go no further. Approach the basin, speak your full name, and touch the altar. Then, you have to repeat these words: After fortune, wealth. After plenty, harvest. After death, opportunity. This creed is at the heart of the Morganstern Society, and the altar will tell if you are worthy of embodying it. This is a ritual that is at least as old as the Society, so it goes without saying that you will show respect. I will be waiting at the entrance." His part done for now, Reynald begins to walk back up the stairs, leaving Malenth alone.

12. - Top - End - #72

Malenth
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Good. Prepare yourself." The banker moves the mage aside, taking a place directly opposite the doors, in the center of the antechamber. He closes his eyes, and speaks two simple words.
    "Solium lovis." In the split silence that follows, Reynald's eyes snap open, a brilliant blue. It is broken by the grinding of stone on steel, as the two golems awaken. They take hold of the doors, pushing them open wide and opening the passage into the chamber beyond. The space is quite sizable for a building such as the Morganstern Hall, an oval construction that spans several stories below them and into darkness above. Six immense pillars span the gap between sky and earth. Ahead, a staircase descends downward. The entire chamber gleams as if buffed to perfection. However, Reynald can almost feel the age in the place, despite the date of construction being only a decade before. He takes a deep breath, inhaling the dust accrued by years of invention.
    "Welcome to the Hall of Transcription. You are one of hundreds of initiates to walk these steps. Follow me please, Mr. D'Everet. Just a little bit farther now." He begins to walk downwards, towards what looks like a slab made of light in the center of the chamber. As they get closer, the slab begins to glow with a golden hue, burnished motes swirling around the pair. Halfway there, Reynald stops. He holds out his arm, gesturing forward towards the center.
    "I can go no further. Approach the basin, speak your full name, and touch the altar. Then, you have to repeat these words: After fortune, wealth. After plenty, harvest. After death, opportunity. This creed is at the heart of the Morganstern Society, and the altar will tell if you are worthy of embodying it. This is a ritual that is at least as old as the Society, so it goes without saying that you will show respect. I will be waiting at the entrance." His part done for now, Reynald begins to walk back up the stairs, leaving Malenth alone.

Malenth smiles to himself, making sure to take in the whole room. After using his magic to search the room for auras, he closed his eyes in though.

OOC:I'm assuming there is some kind of magic here, though it is to complex to figure out anything beyond the basics

This place reeks of magic. Most likely a method of dealing with the unworthy or unloyal. What fate awaits those who fail? Will the ritual bind me to the society? What kind of tricks could they have placed in this ritual?

Malenth opened his eyes, and they burned with determination. All worries pushed aside, he strode forward with certainty.

Reaching the basin, he spoke with all the conviction he could muster. "I am Malenth D'Everet, Head of the noble D'Everet house and the man who will restore it to greatness!"

Slamming his hand down on the Altar, Malenth D'Everet stared straight ahead and continued. "After fortune, Wealth! After plenty, Harvest! After death, Opportunity!"

The oath complete, Malenth stood proudly in silence. And after hardship, strength.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Kiley to Adeak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Replying as Adeak to Kiley
    "Heh, I'm out for a new job, and some quick coin. I'm up for about anything you can lead me to."
    “Anything, huh? Oh I know a job that’s…ahem…new, to you at least. And it certainly has quick coin,” she said flirtatiously. “But judging for your ever lack of enthusiasm in my line of work…that idea would likely be turned down.” She eyed him up and down. “Such a pity,” she said wistfully. She began walking toward a stairwell the two had used often enough in other such meetings of information. “I may have something you may be interested in, however,” she called back. Kiley looked coyly over her shoulder to make sure Adeak was coming, and then began to move up the steps.

Replying as DM to Erinde
    Quote Originally Posted by Debatra
    Erinde jotted down the item recovery and Licourta jobs before heading to the Noble District. She didn't have many clients among the "high-society", and had to ask directions, but she found her way to the listed address for the item recovery.
    As Erinde walks through the streets of the Oldtown District, she’ll notice the buildings get taller and nicer as she gets closer to the noble district. Many of these buildings are residential, some with workshops underneath. A blacksmith, a glassblower, a fletcher; all these shops look to be more for decorative work than the for normal wear and tear work. The swords were chased with gold and silver, with intricate patterns on both hilts and blades alike. The glass was in ornate and sometimes impractical shapes, or sculpted to look like an animal or object. The Fletcher had bows that were carved and painted in beautiful patterns that likely would be damaged in regular use, with strings so fine, it almost appeared to be a spiders webbing.

When she gets to the noble district, Erinde is stopped at the gated entry. There appears to be a wall that continues along to either side, likely encompassing the entire district. A guard stops her at the gate. “Identification, please,” he says with all the air of suspicion. Erinde did not appear to be the normal type to be passing through his gate. “State your business.”
    ((Identification is a normal thing, since the magic registry act. It will tell him your name, whether you can cast magic, and what your district is. Everyone is required to carry them on their person, but some do not, and others have fake ones, despite the difficulty to replicate the seal.))

Replying as Arlar to Zhin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    Zhin waits for a few minutes, impatiently expecting the people of the market to bow, or at least do the failing salute that the guard did. Not even one... apparently warriors carried much less respect here, and now.

Even worse, not a soul spoke up about magic. Apparently, communication was VERY different from his hometown. Despite the unbearable din of the crowd, few people were yelling, bellowing, or screaming.. it was sort of orderly, actually. Each stall was separate from the next, had its own purpose... Strange, but useful. If he could find one for magic, then, presumably, it would be able to help him, or at least command a minor spirit for his aid.

Spirits. Bah. Idiot slaves, to be trapped and contained, hedged, tied, hindered, destroyed. If he could get his hands on one... well, there was the problem, right there. He had heard something about a robbery from the guard, but not much. Still, a powerful and evil spirit trapped in a bracelet could only give him more power, even if it wasn't the one he wanted.

Each step carried him closer to his goal -or, conversely, farther. Either way, he was going to something, and, eventually, he'd find someone to help. For now, Zhin turned his massive frame towards an enclosed shop, and stepped through the door without regard to the ceiling.

After brushing off some of his shoulder spines and removing chunks of wood from his head, Zhin turned to the shopkeeper of "Arlar's Arcana," some sort of gaudy magic dealer.

"I seek magical spells to be cast. For eternity. Do you, keeper, know of one who could wield them?"

Spoiler
    Show

Permanence is level 5, Speak Tongues is 3 if I remember correctly.

Arlar was quite alarmed at the entrance of the spiked hulk that entered his establishment. “ACK!” He proclaimed. He also groaned for good measure as the preposterous pincushion managed to splinter the door frame. He could see the door waving lopsidedly behind the brigand. “You better have something to pay for that with!” he cried out in anguish as the thing wiped splinters from its shoulders.

"I seek magical spells to be cast. For eternity. Do you, keeper, know of one who could wield them?"

“Yeah, and I seek customers that don’t begin negotiations with property destruction. We can’t all have everything. That will be 25 Gold for the door. Then we’ll talk sales.” Arlar closed his hand around a small wand his grandfather had given him. It likely had only a few fireballs left. He waited for the thing’s response, eyeing him distrustfully.

Replying as Sergeant Irena Bruger to Captain Deneth and Chief Advisor Greenwing of House Astrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Greenwing and Cronies

Greenwing follows the Captain to the scene. He doesn't deign to reply about who has authority or who is helping whom in this case. "Calling marqued agents sanctioned vigilantes is the most silly thing I've ever heard. Good one. If someone is officially sanctioned, then they are by definition NOT vigilantes. Your logic would paint the Guard as officially organized vigilantes. I can promise you that when Zane is lawfully executed, it won't be while being held under your authority.

As for the private security that House Licorta had guarding the palace, I personally don't trust them much either. Their loyalty was purchased, and I do not trust that.
    "

Irena had had a late night, and was pretty irritable. She’d already snapped at one of the Guardsmen working under her when he asked a question she didn’t have the answer to, and to others for asking questions that didn’t need to be answered. She surveyed the area. Four good men dead. What a waste. She clenched her fists as she paced around the scene, trying to find anything that she missed.

“WHERE’S THAT LIST OF PEOPLE THAT CAME INTO THE DISTRICT IN THE LAST DAY!?” she shouted to no one in particular. She looked around, and instead of finding a soldier coming toward her with said list, instead she saw two individuals she certainly recognized walking toward her at a swift pace. Wonderful.

“Welcome to ground Zero, Deneth,” she said in exasperation. “We have four dead guards, seven missing items, five houses in uproar, and zero leads as to what actually happened. Only thing I know is they had help. The escape was too clean. Someone would have seen the thief leave the district, but none of the guard…that’s alive…has seen anything.”

Replying to Malenth as the "Thing that Reeks of Magic":
    Spoiler
    Show
    Malenth smiles to himself, making sure to take in the whole room. After using his magic to search the room for auras, he closed his eyes in though.

This place reeks of magic. Most likely a method of dealing with the unworthy or unloyal. What fate awaits those who fail? Will the ritual bind me to the society? What kind of tricks could they have placed in this ritual?

Malenth opened his eyes, and they burned with determination. All worries pushed aside, he strode forward with certainty.

Reaching the basin, he spoke with all the conviction he could muster. "I am Malenth D'Everet, Head of the noble D'Everet house and the man who will restore it to greatness!"

Slamming his hand down on the Altar, Malenth D'Everet stared straight ahead and continued. "After fortune, Wealth! After plenty, Harvest! After death, Opportunity!"

The oath complete, Malenth stood proudly in silence. And after hardship, strength.

As soon as the oath was spoken, the feel of the room changed completely. What was once a quiet glow of power now became a brilliant force that rushed out of the basin like a fountain. The dank air began to rush around is a circular pattern, causing Malenth’s clothes to flap and hair to stir.

He believes, thought the spirit.

The aura of the spirit was a twisting flowing tendril of lines, dancing around in arcs and swirls in front of Malenth. It appeared to be excited. Playful. Happy.

The aura began to glow, first a deep red. The red was the color of a ripe apple, a fading sunset, and the color of newly shed blood. It pulsed and twisted, and from somewhere, the sound of a child laughing came.

Then the red began to fade and the aura burst into a brilliant green. It was hard to determine if it was a pale green like the sea’s foam, or the rich green from a nourished forest. The wind began to rush around Malenth, and the spirit began to circle the human twisting up and down his figure. The air around Malenth then turned warm. The feeling was like the sun suddenly washing over a person who was laying in the shade.

Last, the color changed to a rich gold, almost too bright to look at. It was mixed with yellow of marigolds, and the blond hair of a child. The aura passed through Malenth, embracing him from behind and exiting through his chest. It left a residual feeling of mixed emotions, and of fullness: The joy of a task completed, the quickening of the heart after seeing one that awakens desire, the longing of something distant, the heartbreak of loss, the anger of betrayal and calm of simple understanding.

Malenth would never be the same.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-08-21 at 12:19 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Replying as Sergeant Irena Bruger to Captain Deneth and Chief Advisor Greenwing of House Astrine

Irena had had a late night, and was pretty irritable. She’d already snapped at one of the Guardsmen working under her when he asked a question she didn’t have the answer to, and to others for asking questions that didn’t need to be answered. She surveyed the area. Four good men dead. What a waste. She clenched her fists as she paced around the scene, trying to find anything that she missed.

“WHERE’S THAT LIST OF PEOPLE THAT CAME INTO THE DISTRICT IN THE LAST DAY!?” she shouted to no one in particular. She looked around, and instead of finding a soldier coming toward her with said list, instead she saw two individuals she certainly recognized walking toward her at a swift pace. Wonderful.

“Welcome to ground Zero, Deneth,” she said in exasperation. “We have four dead guards, seven missing items, five houses in uproar, and zero leads as to what actually happened. Only thing I know is they had help. The escape was too clean. Someone would have seen the thief leave the district, but none of the guard…that’s alive…has seen anything.”
    Greenwing Drake, et al

With yet another person pointing at an inside job as the means, Greenwing says to Deneth, "Wow, what's this, someone in the guard betrayed the nobility? And you wonder why they keep marqued agents on hand."

When the bedraggled sergeant takes a breath, he quips in with, "Why, hello to you too, Irena. Glad to see you remember all the good times we've had together. Anyways, I'm here now so I'm sure it won't be too long before the thief is hanging at high noon. After all, it takes a marqued agent to catch a theif."

15. - Top - End - #75

Malenth closed his eyes as the magic washed over him. He tried to get a feel for the energy, and work out what it was trying to do, but this seemed different from any magic he had encountered before. Malenth soon stopped analysing and simply let the magic wash over him.

When the power waned, Malenth opened his eyes and grinned, striding confidently toward the exit. Upon seeing Reynald, he speaks without slowing his pace.

"It would seem I have completed your ritual successfully. Since time is of the essence, we should walk and talk, since I assume there is somewhere we need to be. Are you able to answer my questions about this operation, or will that have to wait until we're away from prying eyes and ears?"

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Zhin looks at the man questioningly, weighing the options. Clearly he was of higher importance than many. "I apologize, your grace." Bowing deeply, he rummages underneath his shoulder plate and pulls out a small chunk of unrefined gold. "I presume that this is enough for damages, and perhaps to begin discussion of arcana?" He tries a diplomatic smile, and bows.

Hm. Perhaps those of this new age do not appreciate the impact of the bow? The complete defenselessness of anyone offering such a powerful gesture of trust? This is quite an unwary age...

Standing again, he leaves the oblong chunk of shining metal alone on the counter, as if to be the only necessary thing said. "What, now, do we need to speak of?"
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Irena Bruger to Greenwing Drake
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greenwing Drake, et al

With yet another person pointing at an inside job as the means, Greenwing says to Deneth, "Wow, what's this, someone in the guard betrayed the nobility? And you wonder why they keep marqued agents on hand."

When the bedraggled sergeant takes a breath, he quips in with, "Why, hello to you too, Irena. Glad to see you remember all the good times we've had together. Anyways, I'm here now so I'm sure it won't be too long before the thief is hanging at high noon. After all, it takes a marqued agent to catch a theif."
    Irena almost rolled her eyes. She’d turned away several representatives from the houses involved already, so keeping Greenwing would be trouble. However, he had proved his merit in the past, and that was a fact she couldn’t ignore. Green had certainly gotten to the root of the problem, no matter his bluntness. In fact, she liked blunt, so long as it was placed correctly.

“Alright Greenwing, you can stay and do your own investigation.” It wasn’t like she’d be able to stop him. If she turned him away now, he’d just find some way to maneuver around her, and likely by his disappearing act he always did. She'd rather have him working with her. Speaking of disappearing. “Though, I’ve already turned down the help of other houses in the investigation…do you mind if you do that…disappearing thing? I have enough of a headache as it is without it looking like I’m favoring a house.”

Replying as Arlar to Zhin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zhin looks at the man questioningly, weighing the options. Clearly he was of higher importance than many. "I apologize, your grace." Bowing deeply, he rummages underneath his shoulder plate and pulls out a small chunk of unrefined gold. "I presume that this is enough for damages, and perhaps to begin discussion of arcana?" He tries a diplomatic smile, and bows.

Hm. Perhaps those of this new age do not appreciate the impact of the bow? The complete defenselessness of anyone offering such a powerful gesture of trust? This is quite an unwary age...

Standing again, he leaves the oblong chunk of shining metal alone on the counter, as if to be the only necessary thing said. "What, now, do we need to speak of?"
    It seemed Arlar underestimated the situation at hand. Property damage in the morning might have put him in a bad mood, but then a gold nugget appeared on his counter. Nothing got Arlar in a good mood like gold did. The thing made something of a bow, and had called him ‘your grace’. A little rough around the edges, but it seemed the two would get along very nicely.

“Ah, you seek a permanency spell? What spell do you need to last? A light spell perhaps? Disguise? Really I generally deal in already existing magical items, so I might indeed have what you need. But if I don’t, I have a friend who can make magical items. A little hard to find, however.”

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Replying as Irena Bruger to Greenwing Drake

Irena almost rolled her eyes. She’d turned away several representatives from the houses involved already, so keeping Greenwing would be trouble. However, he had proved his merit in the past, and that was a fact she couldn’t ignore. Green had certainly gotten to the root of the problem, no matter his bluntness. In fact, she liked blunt, so long as it was placed correctly.

“Alright Greenwing, you can stay and do your own investigation.” It wasn’t like she’d be able to stop him. If she turned him away now, he’d just find some way to maneuver around her, and likely by his disappearing act he always did. She'd rather have him working with her. Speaking of disappearing. “Though, I’ve already turned down the help of other houses in the investigation…do you mind if you do that…disappearing thing? I have enough of a headache as it is without it looking like I’m favoring a house.”
    Greeenwing Drake

"So kind of you to let me play with you. After all, it would have been really embarrassing if I'd gone over your head to myself and have to pull rank as a marqued agent whose purview this falls into as a crime against my House. You must have been really scary, though, if you managed to get the other four agents whom I am sure have already been here to back off. Good for you. Marqued agents are such tools."
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Malenth closed his eyes as the magic washed over him. He tried to get a feel for the energy, and work out what it was trying to do, but this seemed different from any magic he had encountered before. Malenth soon stopped analysing and simply let the magic wash over him.

When the power waned, Malenth opened his eyes and grinned, striding confidently toward the exit. Upon seeing Reynald, he speaks without slowing his pace.

"It would seem I have completed your ritual successfully. Since time is of the essence, we should walk and talk, since I assume there is somewhere we need to be. Are you able to answer my questions about this operation, or will that have to wait until we're away from prying eyes and ears?"

"Yes." While Reynald smiles inwardly at the mathematician's answer, he does realize that Malenth will need to be informed about the situation at hand. All would be divulged eventually. The banker does not have time to think, however, as a distant voice rings in his ears.
    Sir, I've got the other guy in the entrance hall. He says his name is Zardek. Seems a mite jumpy, so any time you want to meet us would be great.
    On my way. Where is your brother?
    I'm out by the East Gate. Apparently, Orcbane took Alderan due east, out towards the mountains. I've found someone to sell us horses, rations and equipment.
    Good. We will meet you there.
    He seems to be following the fire mage now. Reynald makes his way up the steps quickly, stopping Malenth before he can make it through the double doors. He rests his hand on the younger man's shoulder.
    "Listen. I know you have questions, and I have some of the answers. Just be patient, though. Once we leave the city, I will tell you everything I know. I don't trust this place anymore." As the words leave his lips, Reynald realizes how true they have become. What had happened to the Society that he had built, the guild that promoted brotherhood and rewarded ambition? It had been replaced by an oppressive regime that catered to the sycophants and the nobles. The realization saddens him, but there is no shock in it. He takes a moment to reflect. What had gone wrong? At what exact point had the Board stopped guiding the Society's policy and begin to dictate it? Even the veil of secrecy that protected the most senior members was all but gone - anyone with half a brain could pick out the Board members in a crowd. Reynald bows his head. staring at the buffed stone floor. He remains like that for less than a minute, gathering his composure for the walk back outside. Thankfully, they would be out of Aldhaven soon.
    "Alright, let's go." The walk back into the entrance hall is brief. There, among the couriers and paper pushers, stood two figures. Kirin sees him first, her eyes brightening noticeably. He would have to do something about that. Reynald was much more interested in the other figure, however. 'Zardek' seemed... average. Dark hair, dark eyes, and fair skin, he seemed the typical middle class man. His clothing was loose, but practical. He wore boots and a short cloak, all part of the stock adventurer's gear. At least he knew what was appropriate for an expedition. One other thing catches Reynald's eye, though: a bracelet that the man wears on his right arm. The gleaming piece of jewelry seemed out of place among the Zardek's other clothing. He approaches the man, offering his hand in greeting.
    "Good afternoon. My name is Reynald Lheureux, and this is Lord Malenth D'Everet. I will be heading this mission, and he will be acting in a support capacity. You have already met Kirin. Come, walk with us. We have a long road ahead, and need to make up for lost time!"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes." While Reynald smiles inwardly at the mathematician's answer, he does realize that Malenth will need to be informed about the situation at hand. All would be divulged eventually. The banker does not have time to think, however, as a distant voice rings in his ears.
    Sir, I've got the other guy in the entrance hall. He says his name is Zardek. Seems a mite jumpy, so any time you want to meet us would be great.
    I'm out by the East Gate. Apparently, Orcbane took Alderan due east, out towards the mountains. I've found someone to sell us horses, rations and equipment.
    He seems to be following the fire mage now. Reynald makes his way up the steps quickly, stopping Malenth before he can make it through the double doors. He rests his hand on the younger man's shoulder.
    "Listen. I know you have questions, and I have some of the answers. Just be patient, though. Once we leave the city, I will tell you everything I know. I don't trust this place anymore." As the words leave his lips, Reynald realizes how true they have become. What had happened to the Society that he had built, the guild that promoted brotherhood and rewarded ambition? It had been replaced by an oppressive regime that catered to the sycophants and the nobles. The realization saddens him, but there is no shock in it. He takes a moment to reflect. What had gone wrong? At what exact point had the Board stopped guiding the Society's policy and begin to dictate it? Even the veil of secrecy that protected the most senior members was all but gone - anyone with half a brain could pick out the Board members in a crowd. Reynald bows his head. staring at the buffed stone floor. He remains like that for less than a minute, gathering his composure for the walk back outside. Thankfully, they would be out of Aldhaven soon.
    "Alright, let's go." The walk back into the entrance hall is brief. There, among the couriers and paper pushers, stood two figures. Kirin sees him first, her eyes brightening noticeably. He would have to do something about that. Reynald was much more interested in the other figure, however. 'Zardek' seemed... average. Dark hair, dark eyes, and fair skin, he seemed the typical middle class man. His clothing was loose, but practical. He wore boots and a short cloak, all part of the stock adventurer's gear. At least he knew what was appropriate for an expedition. One other thing catches Reynald's eye, though: a bracelet that the man wears on his right arm. The gleaming piece of jewelry seemed out of place among the Zardek's other clothing. He approaches the man, offering his hand in greeting.
    "Good afternoon. My name is Reynald Lheureux, and this is Lord Malenth D'Everet. I will be heading this mission, and he will be acting in a support capacity. You have already met Kirin. Come, walk with us. We have a long road ahead, and need to make up for lost time!"
    A single stomp shakes the entire landscape, cracking open the baked earth into two, and the Efreeti grinned as Djinn and the like screamed and flailed as they ran away from the godly being. Another Efreeti growed and charged, but KimZahn raised a hand, and the resulting explosion resulted in a multilated corpse. He grinned at turned to the heavens and roared in laughter. He would be king, he would rule this place forever! He would not bow down to-

He groaned. On hindsight, doing that was probably pushing his luck. Looking from his prison, he peers as the chains that bind it so; they were worn and old, but so was it; a shadow of his former self. He doubt he could kill an Efreeti right now- heck, even fighting a lowly Djinn would be diffcult. How the have fallen, and he was furious about it. When he got out, he would raze the place to the ground, let it repopulate, and raze it again.

The bracelet glows slightly in arcane symbols as he tests the limits of his prison once again. Not long now. Not long at all.

His wielder is a man named Zane, that much he could tell. Maybe he'll be a simpleton and help him achieve his goal of many decades.

"Please...save me..." he said in Zane's mind, magically altering his voice to sound like a desperate, sexy lady. Nothing like a maiden in distress to have control over mortal men.

Suckers.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-08-22 at 08:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zane
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    A single stomp shakes the entire landscape, cracking open the baked earth into two, and the Efreeti grinned as Djinn and the like screamed and flailed as they ran away from the godly being. Another Efreeti growed and charged, but KimZahn raised a hand, and the resulting explosion resulted in a multilated corpse. He grinned at turned to the heavens and roared in laughter. He would be king, he would rule this place forever! He would not now down to-

He groaned. On hindsight, doing that was probably pushing his luck. Looking from his prison, he peers as the chains that bind it so; they were worn and old, but so was it; a shadow of his former self. He doubt he could kill an Efreeti right now- heck, even fighting a lowly Djinn would be diffcult. How the have fallen, and he was furious about it. When he got out, he would raze the place to the ground, let it repopulate, and raze it again.

The bracelet glows slightly in arcane symbols as he tests the limits of his prison once again. Not long now. Not long at all.

His wielder is a man named Zane, that much he could tell. Maybe he'll be a simpleton and help him achieve his goal of many decades.

"Please...save me..." he said in Zane's mind, magically altering his voice to sound like a desperate, sexy lady. Nothing like a maiden in distress to have control over mortal men.

Suckers.

Edward Zane had been having a strange day. The rush of the crime, breaking into the Astrine vaults, and making away largely unscathed comprised one of the most eventful nights of his shining career. Glorious. The four casualties he chalked up to bad luck: the guardsmen involved should never had had the misfortune of meeting him on a dark night. He chuckles softly to himself. He had found a safe house, where he had stored the majority of the loot. Zane remembers the last coherent image from the previous night: sleeping next to a small pile of priceless artifacts, gold and precious gems.

The euphoria couldn't last, of course. He woke up in the morning with a heavy head and the imminent realization that House Astrine would already be mobilizing forces for the loot's recovery. After all, one did not simply get away with a heist like that. It was only afterward, when he was trawling the taverns near the North Market (in disguise, of course), that he realized the magnitude of the scenario that he had found himself in. Apparently, a large guard investigation was already underway. Seeing no other immediate options, Edward Zane turned to the people who were known for helping thieves and outlaws: the Painters Guild. Contacting them had been easy, but their price was high. In return for stashing nearly everything that he had stolen and paying off the right officials, they had assigned him a job: infiltrate a Society mission by posing as a mercenary adventurer.

So there he was, standing in Morganstern Hall. The woman who picked him was, in a phrase, drop dead gorgeous. Really. She looked like she knew how to use those swords under her cloak, and by the way she kept eying him and the lordling over there, she planned on using them soon. She hadn't given him any real details on the way over, only that it was a rescue op, and likely to be extremely dangerous. The last man to greet him, however, seemed very different from the thug. His hands were soft, for one. A paper-pusher no doubt, someone who wasn't accustomed to manual labor. On top of that, he looked older, more worn somehow. The man's blue-grey eyes, on the other hand, were keen and bored right back into Zane's own hazel ones. The old man extends a hand.
    "Good afternoon. My name is Reynald Lheureux, and this is Lord Malenth D'Everet. I will be heading this mission, and he will be acting in a support capacity. You have already met Kirin. Come, walk with us. We have a long road ahead, and need to make up for lost time!" Following the Society agents, Zane adopts the stride of an adventurer: confident, but not a strut. There was a presence that came with being one of the great trailblazers. A sense of physical purpose. Yes, that was it. He channeled that theme into his movements. For this mission, the Painters had told him to be Zardek, so that was who he was becoming.
    "So, where are we going? Kirin over there said that this was a rescue. Who are we rescuing, exactly?"
    "Patience. Like I told Malenth over here, I will divulge more information as to our task once we are free of Aldhaven. Come on now, keep up Zardek! We have an agent waiting on us at the East Gate."
    Great. I can already tell that working with you is going to be a -
    Please... save me...
    The voice is soft, feminine. But where in the Nine Hells did it come from? No one else seemed to have heard it. Whatever it was, it sounded... sad. There was also a sultry tone beneath the sorrow, the promise of reward. Zane finds himself fascinated by the voice already. He calls out within his own subconscious, on the same level that he heard the emanation.
    Hello? Who are you?
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-23 at 06:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Malenth
    Spoiler
    Show

Malenth's mind raced as he followed his new senior. Troubles and divisions made for greater risks, but also greater opportunities. For now, focusing on the current situation seemed more productive than simply speculation. Given that they were dealing with a large force on the move, an ambush seemed like a suitable course of action. Hopefully there would be a location where the terrain was to their advantage.

For now, he kept his head down and listened to the others. Better to learn than teach in situations like this.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Lanath
    The wolf whimpers as it dies, throat pierced by Lanath's spear. The drow can feel the last of the beast's vitality flow into him through the wound, the exertions of the hunt fading away. He looks down at his hand for a moment. It had already fully healed, dark skin re-knitting over the stitches from only several hours ago. The breath that passes over Lanath's lips begins as just that - an expression of effort. But as he allows the glory of the kill to fill him up, to consume his very being, the breath grows until peals of harsh musical laughter echo off the sides of the valley. Once again, his body had proven to be simply superior to anything from the surface world. Lanath begins to picture the landscape under the reign of the Underscourge. Would that plant several feet away from him, that loathfully mundane piece of fauna, soon drip with luxurious poison? Yes, it would start at the roots. Eventually, the magnificence of Nasus would work its way up the stem, choking the life out of the greenery and replacing it with a menagerie of violent color. Next, the rocks themselves, bones of the earth, would rise up like teeth to crush the great places of the world. Finally, there would be the soil. Such storms would arise as had never been seen, set in motion to scour the surface of most living beings. His people would of course be sheltered from the worst of the changes. Nasendel was safe, as it had always been. The drow would gather there, marshaling an army to lead against the surface in the wake of the desolation. It would be almost too easy. Lanath's laughter is long gone now, a thoughtful expression instead occupying his face. It remains as he trusses up the corpse of the beast and hauls it onto his back. He sets out in a vaguely eastward direction, trying to intuit the next twist or turn before he comes to it. His pace is quick, his step balanced. Even amongst the drow, Lanath was considered an optimal physical specimen. After all, he dwarfed most men at 6'5, and his body was that of a warrior hardened by years of battle and training. Of course, Lanath tries not to pay attention to vain trivia. It didn't really matter how tall he was, as long as he got the job done. The amount of pleasure garnered while fulfilling the job was also his prerogative. Soon, Lanath is able to spot the large grey line in the distance that signifies the Legion. They were just about climbing now, the slope steadily increasing under their feet. By nightfall, they would be nearly at the mouth of the pass. He meant to be there when they did.
    Hold on, my brothers and sisters. Your liege is on his way.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-08-22 at 09:59 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Edward Zane had been having a strange day. The rush of the crime, breaking into the Astrine vaults, and making away largely unscathed comprised one of the most eventful nights of his shining career. Glorious. The four casualties he chalked up to bad luck: the guardsmen involved should never had had the misfortune of meeting him on a dark night. He chuckles softly to himself. He had found a safe house, where he had stored the majority of the loot. Zane remembers the last coherent image from the previous night: sleeping next to a small pile of priceless artifacts, gold and precious gems.

The euphoria couldn't last, of course. He woke up in the morning with a heavy head and the imminent realization that House Astrine was already mobilizing forces for recovery. However, when his contact mentioned that Greenwing Drake was the one hunting him, Zane began to know fear again. They had truly sent out their best for this. It was only afterward, when he was trawling the taverns near the North Market (in disguise, of course), that he realized the inconsistency. House Astrine had really sent out the legendary agent to track him down, on top of nearly a third of Aldhaven's guard force? There was something downright suspicious about the whole scenario. Realizing exactly how much trouble he was in, Edward Zane turned to the people who were known for helping thieves and outlaws: the Painters Guild. Contacting them had been easy, but their price was high. In return for stashing nearly everything that he had stolen and paying off the right officials, they had assigned him a job: infiltrate a Society mission by posing as a mercenary adventurer.

So there he was, standing in Morganstern Hall. The woman who picked him was, in a phrase, drop dead gorgeous. Really. She looked like she knew how to use those swords under her cloak, and by the way she kept eying him and the lordling over there, she planned on using them soon. She hadn't given him any real details on the way over, only that it was a rescue op, and likely to be extremely dangerous. The last man to greet him, however, seemed very different from the thug. His hands were soft, for one. A paper-pusher no doubt, someone who wasn't accustomed to manual labor. On top of that, he looked older, more worn somehow. The man's blue-grey eyes, on the other hand, were keen and bored right back into Zane's own hazel ones. The old man extends a hand.
    "Good afternoon. My name is Reynald Lheureux, and this is Lord Malenth D'Everet. I will be heading this mission, and he will be acting in a support capacity. You have already met Kirin. Come, walk with us. We have a long road ahead, and need to make up for lost time!" Following the Society agents, Zane adopts the stride of an adventurer: confident, but not a strut. There was a presence that came with being one of the great trailblazers. A sense of physical purpose. Yes, that was it. He channeled that theme into his movements. For this mission, the Painters had told him to be Zardek, so that was who he was becoming.
    "So, where are we going? Kirin over there said that this was a rescue. Who are we rescuing, exactly?"
    "Patience. Like I told Malenth over here, I will divulge more information as to our task once we are free of Aldhaven. Come on now, keep up Zardek! We have an agent waiting on us at the East Gate."
    Great. I can already tell that working with you is going to be a -
    Please... save me...
    The voice is soft, feminine. But where in the Nine Hells did it come from? No one else seemed to have heard it. Whatever it was, it sounded... sad. There was also a sultry tone beneath the sorrow, the promise of reward. Zane finds himself fascinated by the voice already. He calls out within his own subconscious, on the same level that he heard the emanation.
    Hello? Who are you?

"I am...Kim."

A faint smoke floats out of the ring, and gently floats around Zane in shades of grey and black.

"Wish me free"

A distinct figure can be seen in the smoke, or is the smoke turning into a figure?

"Wish me free"

The figure becomes more solid. The faint smell of roses wafts forth.

"Wish me free"

The smoke parts, and a beautiful lady, long hair flowing down her shoulders, with perfect teeth and eyes of the most mysterious green, with semi-transparent clothes that assault the sensibilities, she uses one long finger the softly caress Zane's chin, whispering in his ear.

"Wish me free"

This almost too ea-

He finally notices that Zane is not alone, and inwardly sighs.

Crap.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-08-23 at 12:04 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post

"I am...Kim."

A faint smoke floats out of the ring, and gently floats around Zane in shades of grey and black.

"Wish me free"

A distinct figure can be seen in the smoke, or is the smoke turning into a figure?

"Wish me free"

The figure becomes more solid. The faint smell of roses wafts forth.

"Wish me free"

The smoke parts, and a beautiful lady, long hair flowing down her shoulders, with perfect teeth and eyes of the most mysterious green, with semi-transparent clothes that assault the sensibilities, she uses one long finger the softly caress Zane's chin, whispering in his ear.

"Wish me free"

This almost too ea-

He finally notices that Zane is not alone, and inwardly sighs.

Crap.

Crap. Is that a spirit coming out of the ring? Almost instinctively, Reynald begins to prepare a spell: a temporary re-binding. The djinn would be unable to leave the ring for a time. The old man can already feel the power coursing through his veins, draining his very soul. Of course, this had to happen now, in broad daylight and in plain view. Heads were already turning, at both the appearance of the spirit and its... appearance. He nods to Kirin, who walks up to Zane and gives him a less than gentle nudge in the side, as if to say "get it out of here". The spell was still brewing, but it would be released in a minute or so. Until then, he needed to do some damage control.
    "Malenth! Go meet Arlin by the East Gate. I trust you know the way." Leaving the impoverished nobleman, he turns back to the spirit. It was strangely enticing, and yet Reynald already knew what it was. Thankfully, spending a year abroad had its benefits, such as contact with outlandish magic. This was a wish slave. A closed door in his mind opens, letting the magic flow through. The spell is cast. Unfortunately, conjuration was not Reynald's specialty. In the schools of illusion or enchantment, he was second to none. However, his strength in the world of the arcane did not extend too far beyond that. By his odds, the spell had an even chance of working - or fizzling out, leaving the spirit free to continue its show.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn
    "Wait, is that a spell? That's a real miserable spell if I ever saw one. The ugly man sucks, big time. He should go home and cry for being a shame to every spellcaster in existence" he thought as he mentally shrugged off the puny spell that was trying to hold him captive. He had half a mind to revert to his favored form and pummel the idiot through a wall, but his plan with simple-minded Zane was already in motion, and he had one shot at it.

"AHHHH! THE EVIL MAN CASTED A SPELL AT ME!" he screamed the top of his female form's voice, trying to sound scared and desperate, which is a challenge when he's trying hard not to laugh.

Hugging Zane tightly in a warm embrace, she stuck her tongue out at Reynald, her facial shennanigans hidden to Zane by the hug.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Irena to Greenwing:
    Greeenwing Drake

"So kind of you to let me play with you. After all, it would have been really embarrassing if I'd gone over your head to myself and have to pull rank as a marqued agent whose purview this falls into as a crime against my House. You must have been really scary, though, if you managed to get the other four agents whom I am sure have already been here to back off. Good for you. Marqued agents are such tools."
    "Indeed," Irena murmured quietly. That's about as much as she could say on the matter of marqued agents without feeling the consequences. Most of them were not as active as Greenwing, that was for certain. Irena wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. It let her do her job, certainly, but in other matters, their cooperation might have gone a long way in slogging through some particularly sticky tape. She moved over to the crime scene and pointed to the various pieces of evidence.

"As you can see, the door lock was removed from the door. Not certain what device was used, but it was a clean cut. The guards went down with slashing weapons. One guard did not draw his weapon in time. A discarded wand was found by the vaults. Since no tampering is apparent, I assume it was some kind of magic that let him circumnavigate the lock. It must have been powerful, though, because the vaults were powerfully warded. Had it not been for the encounter with the guards, we might not have known for a while that there was even a theft."

She looked to Greenwing and Deneth to see if they had any questions. Even if they did not know (and likely they did), Irena knew that that wand meant trouble.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-08-23 at 11:38 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Replying as Irena to Greenwing:

"Indeed," Irena murmured quietly. That's about as much as she could say on the matter of marqued agents without feeling the consequences. Most of them were not as active as Greenwing, that was for certain. Irena wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. It let her do her job, certainly, but in other matters, their cooperation might have gone a long way in slogging through some particularly sticky tape. She moved over to the crime scene and pointed to the various pieces of evidence.

"As you can see, the door lock was removed from the door. Not certain what device was used, but it was a clean cut. The guards went down with slashing weapons. One guard did not draw his weapon in time. A discarded wand was found by the vaults. Since no tampering is apparent, I assume it was some kind of magic. It must have been powerful, though, because the vaults were powerfully warded. Had it not been for the encounter with the guards, we might not have known for a while that there was even a theft."

She looked to Greenwing and Deneth to see if they had any questions. Even if they did not know (and likely they did), Irena knew that that wand meant trouble.
    Greenwing with Deneth and Irena

"Damn, mage-thief. Didn't realize we had a thief of that caliber running around. He's not with the Knaves, I know that. Don't ask me how I know. You don't want to know. Well, fellows, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go act on this intel immediately. There are certain forces I can tap into to help reduce the surprise of a mage quarry if I act swiftly. I'd strongly urge you bring me in if you corner him before I get back. House Astrine can contact me instantly if you get word to them. I've dealt with mages before. Now then, forgive the abruptness of my departure."

With that, Greenwing Drake vanishes from sight and flies off on silent wings.

He's flying over the city on his way to Old Town when he sees a woman appear out of thin air in the middle of one street on the way to East Gate.

Dear Tiamat, if this could be something very unrelated, I would be greatly overjoyed and happy right now. If that is not the efreeti being released, I promise to sacrifice at your temple for a week. He prays silently while perching on a nearby rooftop to observe.

29. - Top - End - #89

Malenth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crap. Is that a spirit coming out of the ring? Almost instinctively, Reynald begins to prepare a spell: a temporary re-binding. The djinn would be unable to leave the ring for a time. The old man can already feel the power coursing through his veins, draining his very soul. Of course, this had to happen now, in broad daylight and in plain view. Heads were already turning, at both the appearance of the spirit and its... appearance. He nods to Kirin, who walks up to Zane and gives him a less than gentle nudge in the side, as if to say "get it out of here". The spell was still brewing, but it would be released in a minute or so. Until then, he needed to do some damage control.
    "Malenth! Go meet Arlin by the East Gate. I trust you know the way." Leaving the impoverished nobleman, he turns back to the spirit. It was strangely enticing, and yet Reynald already knew what it was. Thankfully, spending a year abroad had its benefits, such as contact with outlandish magic. This was a wish slave. A closed door in his mind opens, letting the magic flow through. The spell is cast. Unfortunately, conjuration was not Reynald's specialty. In the schools of illusion or enchantment, he was second to none. However, his strength in the world of the arcane did not extend too far beyond that. By his odds, the spell had an even chance of working - or fizzling out, leaving the spirit free to continue its show.

Melenth nodded to the old banker and set off for the east gate. Whatever that thing was, it seemed best not to become involved with it if possible. Moving at a quick pace, Malenth held his cane in his left hand and kept his hat on with his right, worried it might fall amid the hustle and bustle. If he had known he would be dragged off after a drow, he would have dressed more practically.

Still, no time to worry about that. With the footwork learned from his fencing lessons, Malenth ducked and weaved through the crowds, making his way to the east gate.
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2012-08-23 at 12:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Zhin nods to the small shopkeep. Hm... That nugget appeared to be worth quite a lot more than I supposed... I only have one other, so it seems I'll have to take greater care with it. Time to cut to the point. Taking a deep breath, Zhin does his best to keep his spines flat as talks.

"I come from a distant land, of many miles... and years... distant. It is thus that I speak no word of your tongue here. There are several spells for such uses, and I desire one. It is no large thing, no onerous task to cast it. Perhaps the gold should suffice?" Foolish, foolish, warrior, you. Now that he knows you have at least one of these worthless chunks that he so values, he may seek others... and without appropriate reconnaissance of the prices here, you may well lose a sum...

Leaning back, Zhin decides to play it calm, and pops his knuckles in a manner either threatening or entirely at peace -interpretation to be left up to the shopkeep, it would seem.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII