New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Recommend Me A New Series?

So, I'm looking for a new show to get into, preferably something with a couple of seasons already out on DVD. Intelligent, quirky, oddball, compelling.

I know tastes will vary broadly, if not cosmically, so herein a brief rundown of the shows that I enjoy:

Spoiler
    Show
    --First, I loved Firefly. Unfortunately I didn't like Dollhouse and can't stand Buffy, so the Whedonverse may be less helpful than one might think.

I'm also a huge fan of the new Battlestar Galactica, so much so that I've watched the entire series four times through. (Hence this thread: frack me, it's time for a break. ;)

I've seen the first two seasons of Game of Thrones, and while there are many things I don't like about how HBO handles it, the show still works for my grim-fantasy fix. Right now, however, I'm looking for something a little more, umm, family-friendly.

On the SF front, I watched ST:TNG and Deep Space Nine back in the day, and more recently I really enjoyed Sarah Connor Chronicles. (In a grim, depressive, don't-get-attached-to-anyone kind of way.) Here lately I've been hooked on Falling Skies, owing to an impulse buy of Season 1. (Yes, hokey and goofy at times, but I have an odd fondness for it anyway.)

Further afield, and probably more obscure to the Playground, I absolutely loved Kings, which like Firefly was tragically cut short, and which was probably too thoughtful and intelligent for mainstream television. (I also appreciated Kings for other aspects which can't be discussed here.)

Much further from the Playground norm, and evidently not discussed around here, is Downton Abbey. Yes, it's true: I had a blast with this show, at least the first two seasons. I'm a sucker for sharp, meticulous period dramas.

And, for anyone who remembers it, I loved Cadfael with Derek Jacobi. Rarely have I seen a TV adaptation so true to the spirit of the original books.

So, all that by way of triangulating what I enjoy. Any suggestions along these lines--or outside them, if quirky and intelligent enough--would be very much appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Recommend Me A New Series?

Have you given a thought to Doctor Who? It's a mixed bag at times, but generally a fun watch that takes on gravitas during some episodes.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the suggestion...but alas, Dr. Who was not something I could really connect with. The interdimensional police box (yes, I know, Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) never quite worked for me.

I tried watching a couple episodes a year or two ago, possibly on SyFy, and just...couldn't. Not my cup of Earl Grey.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I might actually suggest Star Trek the Original Series, even though it's old, if you haven't watched it. Lots of really good classic sci-fi moments and a closer feel to Firefly and well newer Trek than Doctor Who (old or new) has. The words I have usually seen to describe it are intelligent, quirky (although more then than now), and compelling.

Maybe Stargate SGI only seen a few episodes myself but it's been ok so far.

Sorry not too good on new sci-fi, haven't had cable in years.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Have you given Stargate SG-1 or Babylon 5 a look?
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Zaydos
    I might actually suggest Star Trek the Original Series, even though it's old, if you haven't watched it.
    Thanks, great suggestion. I grew up on TOS.

(Yes, my memory reaches back even to the Elder Days....)

Originally Posted by erikun
    Have you given Stargate SG-1 or Babylon 5 a look?
    Ahh, Babylon 5. My friends and I were very excited when the pilot came out...but alas, the subsequent episodes didn't grab me, and I dropped out after the first season or so. I'm afraid I never much liked Sheridan or Garibaldi.

As for Stargate...I tried watching an episode with a now-ex girlfriend (the same one who introduced me to Firefly) and it just didn't grab me. Partly because this was probably several seasons in, and I had no idea what was going on, except--wait, was that Richard Dean Anderson?! Why isn't he, you know, all smart and stuff?

So, yeah. I wouldn't rule it out, just didn't feel a strong urge to pursue it at the time.

--Also, just to clarify, I'm not just looking for SF series, although suggestions along those lines are very welcome. I'm open to other things as well, but quality and a strong cool factor are key.

For instance, I loved Highlander back in the day, despite the fact that you could predict an episode's quality by its geographic location. More recently, I enjoyed Terranova, because, well, dinosaurs. And it was actually improving fast just before it was cancelled.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Couple of series I enjoy, your mileage may vary though:

Lost Girl - Fey live among us, this focuses on their stories, particularly those of the main character... a succubus. Canadian show IIRC, Season 4 just started.

Caprica - Haven't watched it, but it's set on Caprica 50 years prior to BSG. Keep meaning to watch it.

The Almighty Johnsons - A New Zealand show. Focuses on a family that are the incarnations of the Norse Gods living on earth. Suprisingly good given it's country of origin. Season 3 just finished.

Arrow - Live action based on DC's Green Arrow, currenty in Season 2.
    Last edited by Slylizard; 2013-11-11 at 11:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'd recommend Supernatural if you haven't seen it. It has issues, but I always find it entertaining.

I'd also recommend Life, although it was only on NBC for two season. About a cop imprisoned for murders he didn't commit, and released a decade later with a whole new perspective on the world. It's well written and well acted, I was sorry to see it go.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I can mostly recommend Sons of Anarchy. Doings of a motorcycle gang full of anti-heros (or downright villains) who are nonetheless less evil than everyone else they come up against. Currently in its 6th season. Very good characterisation, and who doesn't like watching a bunch of leatherclad bikers.

Plus, y'know, Ron Perlman.

(Life was great too.)
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I quite enjoyed Robin of Sherwood when it was aired here (a few years after it was finished).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know if it's really in line with what you like but one of my favorite shows is Dead Like Me which is a Canadian comedy about grim reapers. Only ran for two seasons but there's some decent comedy and drama in those.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks--keep 'em coming, they're very welcome.

Originally Posted by Kitten Champion
    I'd recommend Supernatural if you haven't seen it. It has issues, but I always find it entertaining.

I'd also recommend
    Life, although it was only on NBC for two season. About a cop imprisoned for murders he didn't commit, and released a decade later with a whole new perspective on the world. It's well written and well acted, I was sorry to see it go.
    Thanks for these. I may have occasionally seen Supernatural in Sam's Club, but not being that into horror and spookyness I never gave it much thought. However, if there's a strong recommendation to be made for it--good acting, good stories, a finely-crafted atmosphere?--then I'll give it a shot.

As for Life, I assume this is the one with Damian Lewis? (Amazon has a whole slew of things called Life, including a show from David Attenborough.) If that's the one, it does look interesting.

Sons of Anarchy...not really my thing. "Macho high-school dropouts randomly whaling on everyone" is what I gleaned from the previews for the current season. That's...kinda not me. "Quirky and intelligent" is more the direction I'm looking.

--Quirky, madcap, often mind-boggling and always finely-crafted, with occasional bouts of riotous laughter...that would be my ideal. Really, if there's a TV show like Girl Genius, I'd be happy.

That said, again, I certainly appreciate the suggestions, and very glad to hear some more.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

If there were a Girl Genius TV Show Kickstarter, I think I would have no money left.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I have yet to support a Kickstarter, but that would definitely do it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Slylizard View Post

Seconding this. Loving this show.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

A very good reality show (WITHOUT the petty jealousy and backstabbing, they actually help one another) is Face Off. You get to see how some of those movie monsters are created. Season six just wrapped this week. Also family friendly.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-11-12 at 11:49 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

How is it that Agents of Shield hasn't been mentioned yet?

I'd also recommend Grimm, just beware that the quality takes a sharp nosedive during the first half of season 2 and it only really recovers from it near the end of the season. Season 3 is airing now and so far it is looking very hopeful.

Another good one that I'm watching right now is Haven.

As for the already mentioned suggestions:

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Seconding this. Loving this show.
    Thirding.

Lost Girl - Fey live among us, this focuses on their stories, particularly those of the main character... a succubus. Canadian show IIRC, Season 4 just started.
    Ugh, lost girl. I really wish this show was better. Awesome concept, intriguing world, but bland execution and way to much focus on the lovelife of the main character killed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Thanks for these. I may have occasionally seen Supernatural in Sam's Club, but not being that into horror and spookyness I never gave it much thought. However, if there's a strong recommendation to be made for it--good acting, good stories, a finely-crafted atmosphere?--then I'll give it a shot.
    I'm not a big fan of horror myself, but I found that it didn't bother me as much for this show. The key part about horror that I dislike is that the good guys are always fighting this unknown all powerful evil somethingorother, but this was nicely averted in Supernatural because the two main characters hunt these things for a living so they know what they are doing (most of the time).

I eventually gave up on it, but if your only issue with it is a dislike for horror then I would definitely recommend giving it another shot.
    Last edited by Silver Swift; 2013-11-12 at 12:20 PM.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sherlock Holmes might be to your liking. There's also other big series like The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, though I assume you've thought of them.

I'd suggest Red Dwarf, but it's likely a bit too wacky.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's a bit older, but Farscape might be to your liking. The first two seasons are very good, and then it gets... um... wonky... You might like it, you might not. The later seasons are not in the same tastes as the earlier ones. Either way, it's done and over with, so what's out there is all there is (4 seasons and 1 movie, I believe?).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I've found myself quite enjoying Scrubs recently. Its a medical Dramedy that is surprisingly and refreshingly accurate on the medical side of things. Plenty of character hijinks ensue, but if you want to see a comedic look of what working in a hospital is actually like its worth a look (coming from someone who has worked in a hospital for over 6 years now.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

21. - Top - End - #21

This one is probably just me, but the British sci-fi show Primeval might be worth a look. For me it had that charm that the quirkier episodes of shows like Star Trek had, though it's set in present day.

...and that's really all I can think of right now. Just goes to show how little TV I watch these days.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Caprica - Haven't watched it, but it's set on Caprica 50 years prior to BSG. Keep meaning to watch it.
    I second this, I actually got into BSG after finishing this because I just loved the show. I was disappointed it got cancelled and didn't get a second season but even with only one it is really good.

Also if you have an interest in anime, I would recommend Sword Art Online, think of it as Code Lyoko+an MMO (which as a gamer really interested me). The first arc was really good because it emphasized the MMO aspect, but the 2nd arc was only so-so, and I was really only in it to see the conclusion of the series. Luckily though there are rumors a second season is on its way, with the 3rd arc from the manga/light novel(s) being much better.

Btw side note, I'm assuming the BSG you're referring to is the re-imagined series so I wanted another opinion, was I the only one disappointed by the ending? It kinda seemed like an asspull to me.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. Anime is a whole 'nother (wonderful) rabbit-hole. But not one that everyone wants to get into.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Ahh, Babylon 5. My friends and I were very excited when the pilot came out...but alas, the subsequent episodes didn't grab me, and I dropped out after the first season or so. I'm afraid I never much liked Sheridan or Garibaldi.
    Do you mean Sinclair (Michael O'Hare's character)? Or did you actually make it into the second season, when Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner) took over?

This one is probably just me, but the British sci-fi show Primeval might be worth a look. For me it had that charm that the quirkier episodes of shows like Star Trek had, though it's set in present day.
    Primeval's a good suggestion. It feels similar to Doctor Who to me (maybe just for as shallow a reason as being a british weird science show), but there are significant differences that may make it work for Palanan.

Fringe would be another suggestion, "Intelligent, quirky, oddball, compelling" are all words that fit it for me.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I've found myself quite enjoying Scrubs recently. Its a medical Dramedy that is surprisingly and refreshingly accurate on the medical side of things. Plenty of character hijinks ensue, but if you want to see a comedic look of what working in a hospital is actually like its worth a look (coming from someone who has worked in a hospital for over 6 years now.)
    OH. OH YES. WHY DID I FORGET THIS.

Scrubs is amazing. On the surface it looks much like a sitcom, except the primary setting is a hospital, and partially as a natural result of that it deals with some heavy stuff at times. However, overall it's pretty light in tone and very uplifting.

I'm a fan of sitcoms for their humour. I'm a huge fan of Scrubs because it touched me in ways I'd never expected it to do.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I quite enjoyed Robin of Sherwood when it was aired here (a few years after it was finished).
    Best rendition of Robin Hood sage ever. I could probably babble peans of praise for quite a long time, but I'll contain myself. Great music, magnificant bastard of a Sheriff and unforgetable climat.

If anime is a go, then you will probably like Cowboy Bebop - it fits all the adjectives you have given and tops it with a great jazz soundtrack. It is a short (the only problem with the show), mostly episodic series about a small band of misfit bounty hunters in the future.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh, new suggestions, thank you all! Let's see here:

Originally Posted by MikelaC1
    A very good reality show (WITHOUT the petty jealousy and backstabbing, they actually help one another) is Face Off. You get to see how some of those movie monsters are created.
    I've been allergic to reality shows since, what, 1999? I've seen the ads for this one on SyFy, and wasn't intrigued. However, based on your recommendation, I'll give it a look.

Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow
    How is it that Agents of Shield hasn't been mentioned yet?
    Well, I'm about to watch that later tonight. So far, despite very high hopes, it's been unimpressing me more every week. But like Arwen says, there is still hope.

Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    Sherlock Holmes might be to your liking. There's also other big series like The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, though I assume you've thought of them.
    You know, I've had Sherlock recommended to me before. Hmm. Is this the BBC version with Smaug, or the New York show with Lucy Liu?

The others you mention really aren't my thing, although I might watch Red Dwarf with the right girlfriend. If there was a couch involved.

Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers
    Oh my. My antennae, they do quiver. This seems...interesting.

*search search*

I assume Primeval comes before Primeval: New World? Tell me more. Without spoilers, if that's possible.

Originally Posted by Reverent-One
    Do you mean Sinclair (Michael O'Hare's character)? Or did you actually make it into the second season, when Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner) took over?
    You know, I'd completely forgotten that happened. It's been a long time since I watched any of that, and I doubt I went much into the second season. --Sorry, really not a B5 fan.

Originally Posted by ChaosArchon
    I second [Caprica], I actually got into BSG after finishing this because I just loved the show.
    Without going into detail, I will just say that, despite loving BSG, I did not love Caprica.

Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem
    Anime is a whole 'nother (wonderful) rabbit-hole. But not one that everyone wants to get into.
    Very true. My entire experience with anime involved the first season of Rurouni Kenshin. I loved it, but overall I'm just not into anime culture.

Also, finally:

Originally Posted by At Least Three People, If Not More
    Try Arrow already!!
    I've been hearing about this, and if it's really that good, I'll give it a looksee.

...But, Primeval. From reading the first sentence of the Amazon listing, it sounds like Terranova in reverse. That...could be fun. Really, it's hard to miss with dinosaurs.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, I've had Sherlock recommended to me before. Hmm. Is this the BBC version with Smaug, or the New York show with Lucy Liu?
    Not sure if this is the one he's referring to, but the BBC version (yes, with Benedict Cumberbatch, who you're likely to recognize by his weird face, and also Martin Freeman, who seems to be in just about everything these days) is certainly worth a look, though there are only six episodes.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Have you watched Eureka? or Warehouse 13? Both are family friendly and mostly smart.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Not sure if this is the one he's referring to, but the BBC version (yes, with Benedict Cumberbatch, who you're likely to recognize by his weird face, and also Martin Freeman, who seems to be in just about everything these days) is certainly worth a look, though there are only six episodes.
    The one with Lucy Liu and Johnny Lee Miller is called Elementary. I actually enjoy it. Nothing spectacular, but Miller's acting is great. A couple rather smart mysteries, too.

Plus, y'know, Lucy Liu.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2013-11-13 at 02:49 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).