New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

So I found CD in my local bookstore today (wasn't it supposed to come out Nov 27?). Have half finished it. Very good so far. Here's a non-spoilery tidbit of info for those of you who haven't gotten in yet: there is a major widening of perspective in it. I have confidence that things will only get crazyier the more the series goes on.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

AAAAAAAAGH I WISH I HAD IT

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    AAAAAAAAGH I WISH I HAD IT
    Hmmm...this is a new experience for me. I'm usually the guy who gets there 10 minutes after everyone else has left. The urge to spoil is strong...must...limit self..to...unimportant things GAAAH!.

If it's any consolation I have to wait until tommorow to finish the rest of the book due to circumstances.

Also one wierd thing I noticed was that Harry says the F-word more in this book than in the others. It's only noticible in comparison to the other books but it's still strange.

Oh and Maeve makes a pop culture reference.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I just read the first four chapters that are up on the website ... and can only state that Jim Butcher is (both of these, at the same time):
    1. A grim, sadistic, evil man who puts Harry Dresden through some of the worst tortures that can be imagined, far beyond the paltry powers of any D&D devil or demon I have encountered, and
    2. A thoroughly addicting writer, and I cannot wait to get the book (hopefully next week).

I love Harry Dresden's world ... I would not want to actually live there, but I have always greatly enjoyed visiting when time (and new books) allowed. Now, however, my feelings have gone from "greatly enjoy" to "waiting for it like a drug addict waits for his next hit."

Huzzah, Jim Butcher, and thank you for yet another scary, sexy, and terrifying journey into Harry Dresden's world!

I like quizzes. Can you tell?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Also found a copy in my bookstore today. Reading it now. Here are my thoughts so far.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like how new characters and old are being introduced, like how Harry's battle with corruption is being handled, but I find that his power level is getting too high to the point that everything they throw against him had to be either a pushover or something seemingly impossible to fight.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loss View Post
    Also found a copy in my bookstore today. Reading it now. Here are my thoughts so far.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like how new characters and old are being introduced, like how Harry's battle with corruption is being handled, but I find that his power level is getting too high to the point that everything they throw against him had to be either a pushover or something seemingly impossible to fight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well we all knew the position of Winter Knight made you a supernatural heavyweight even if granted to a vanilla human. Given how strong Dresden already was this problem was probably inevitable. And according to WOJ he still has at least a couple more power ups to go before the Apocalypse Trilogy renders him an outclassed underdog again.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well we all knew the position of Winter Knight made you a supernatural heavyweight even if granted to a vanilla human. Given how strong Dresden already was this problem was probably inevitable. And according to WOJ he still has at least a couple more power ups to go before the Apocalypse Trilogy renders him an outclassed underdog again.

Spoiler
    Show
    we were warned before hand (it was so obvious that it's no way a foreshadowing. But if it works, then it's ok. I'm not asking for spoilers, but I'm wondering how harry will handle Being a winterknigt with the council. I hop ehe meets the gatekeeper again and gets to make his home on the island (where he made his sanctum). that would be awesome...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Can't go into this thread until I have finished the book. Now no way to get my dresden fix. Brb rereading *rolls dice* Proven Guilty.

9. - Top - End - #279

RogueGuy

Bwahaha....reading it now. Suck it, Amazon!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    we were warned before hand (it was so obvious that it's no way a foreshadowing. But if it works, then it's ok. I'm not asking for spoilers, but I'm wondering how harry will handle Being a winterknigt with the council. I hop ehe meets the gatekeeper again and gets to make his home on the island (where he made his sanctum). that would be awesome...
    Mild, vague spoilers below.

Spoiler
    Show
    The white council have turned into bit players. Considering the levels of power being tossed around, they're not strong enough to have much of an effect on the events in the book. And the Gatekeeper does indeed show up, in a very interesting way, although we don't see much. I'm at page 411, so what I just said could change, mind you.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

11. - Top - End - #281

Mild, vague spoilers below.

Spoiler
    Show
    The white council have turned into bit players. Considering the levels of power being tossed around, they're not strong enough to have much of an effect on the events in the book. And the Gatekeeper does indeed show up, in a very interesting way, although we don't see much. I'm at page 411, so what I just said could change, mind you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I disagree. The Senior Council are still strong enough to compete (remember that Eb caused a freakin earthquake). The other members of the WC make up for weakness in sheer numbers.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Very true. Upon posting that, I rethought it and realized I was way wrong. Finished the book. I liked the ending, I have to say. I find the last line took away from the ending, but that's a tiny nitpick. Humanizing Mab to an extent was really well done. I also liked the bits with the Erlking and Kringle. And Molly. What the hell is going to happen with Molly.

Not my favorite of the series, but definitely very good. Very cohesive, good pace.
    Last edited by Lord Loss; 2012-11-23 at 09:14 PM.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283

RogueGuy

Wow.

So many answers.

And answer-answers, not LOST- here's-another-question-answers.

Loved it...will post more later.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Very true. Upon posting that, I rethought it and realized I was way wrong. Finished the book. I liked the ending, I have to say. I find the last line took away from the ending, but that's a tiny nitpick. Humanizing Mab to an extent was really well done. I also liked the bits with the Erlking and Kringle. And Molly. What the hell is going to happen with Molly.

Not my favorite of the series, but definitely very good. Very cohesive, good pace.
    I made an account just to ask this.

Spoiler
    Show
    What happen to Molly? WHAT HAPPEN TO HER? YOU CAN'T JUST SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND THEN WALK AWAY!!!

Did she leave Harry side as his sidekick? Become the new Winter lady? Make some horrible deal with a faerie. Was she killed? Please tell me, it won't ruin the book for me. I will still read it. In fact, you could message me any spoilers about the book.
    Last edited by Lalabing; 2012-11-24 at 01:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lalabing View Post
    I made an account just to ask this.

Spoiler
    Show
    What happen to Molly? WHAT HAPPEN TO HER? YOU CAN'T JUST SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND THEN WALK AWAY!!!

Did she leave Harry side as his sidekick? Become the new Winter lady? Make some horrible deal with a faerie. Was she killed? Please tell me, it won't ruin the book for me. I will still read it. In fact, you could message me any spoilers about the book.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's the new Winter Lady.

Seriously, no-one else check this. Super-major spoiler alert.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's the new Winter Lady.

Seriously, no-one else check this. Super-major spoiler alert.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have to be f--ing kidding me? How that happen? How did it skip Sarrisa or w/e her name is again? I mean Molly is mortal.
    Last edited by Lalabing; 2012-11-24 at 02:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    No. Mab selected her as a potential successor to Maeve since Proven Guilty. Did you think Leah's tutelage in Ghost Story was just for Harry's benefit?

Not sure precisely about your concern- have to re-read. Don't know if this gets addressed. Also, please edit your response a bit- it's bordering on spoilers.
    Last edited by Somebloke; 2012-11-24 at 01:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No. Mab selected her as a potential successor to Maeve since Proven Guilty. Did you think Leah's tutelage in Ghost Story was just for Harry's benefit?

Not sure precisely about your concern- have to re-read. Don't know if this gets addressed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OH DAMN!! Please give me more details on the book. Does Harry get bob back?
    What was the reunion like for Murphy and Harry. Is Lara in the book? Also is Sarissa evil and using Harry?
    Last edited by Lalabing; 2012-11-24 at 02:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289

RogueGuy

OH DAMN!! Please give me more details on the book. Does Harry get bob back?
    What was the reunion like for Murphy and Harry. Is Lara in the book? Also is Sarissa evil and using Harry?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bob appears but is more or less passed on to Butters for good.
    Murphy and Harry have yet another deep and meaningful. Short version is that they're still being morons.

Sarissa is not evil but is hiding something major about herself that really deserves to be discovered for yourself...it's epic and hilarious when its discovered.

Lara just gets a mention. She's gaining huge amounts of power fighting the fish people.

Sorry about before- could you remove mention of i'it skipping Sarissa'? In the context of the Queens this is a major hint.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Bob appears but is more or less passed on to Butters for good.
    Murphy and Harry have yet another deep and meaningful. Short version is that they're still being morons.

Sarissa is not evil but is hiding something major about herself that really deserves to be discovered for yourself...it's epic and hilarious when its discovered.

Lara just gets a mention. She's gaining huge amounts of power fighting the fish people.

Sorry about before- could you remove mention of i'it skipping Sarissa'? In the context of the Queens this is a major hint.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow things really change in this book. One last question, because I figure I'm just being annoying to you now.

Does Harry have to serve Molly, now that he's the Winter Knight, or is he done?
    Last edited by Lalabing; 2012-11-24 at 02:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291

RogueGuy

Wow things really change in this book. One last question, because I figure I'm just being annoying to you now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Harry have to serve Molly, now that he's the Winter Knight, or is he done?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dresen is stilll Winter Knight. he sure as hell didn't bow to Maeve. Of course, he actually respects Molly. .

22. - Top - End - #292
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dresen is stilll Winter Knight. he sure as hell didn't bow to Maeve. Of course, he actually respects Molly. .
    Thanks posting this stuff. Sorry if I annoyed you in any way. You gave me a lot to think about. If there's anything else that happens in the book that is post worthy. It would welcome and appreciated.

23. - Top - End - #293

RogueGuy

Thanks posting this stuff. Sorry if I annoyed you in any way. You gave me a lot to think about. If there's anything else that happens in the book that is post worthy. It would welcome and appreciated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    no worries. If you could spoiler your response to the reveal, that would be great- sorry to nag on about it, but I would have been crushed if I had found out beforehand, and the'skipping' reference might tip someone off.

Seriously, the entire book is one long spoiler- pretty much every mystery (apart from the black council's identities) gets explained. Demonreach is very heavily covered.

Thanks! Enjoy the book!
    Last edited by Somebloke; 2012-11-24 at 02:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Pixie in the Playground

I hid all my reply, but one. Thank again.

25. - Top - End - #295

So you guys where able to get a copy in some form, how? I heard there was a strict No Sell policy before the 27th, when it's released, so I ask.

26. - Top - End - #296

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dante & Vergil View Post
    So you guys where able to get a copy in some form, how? I heard there was a strict No Sell policy before the 27th, when it's released, so I ask.
    Waterstones in London on Friday. Maybe it's an Over the Atlantic thing.

27. - Top - End - #297

Waterstones in London on Friday. Maybe it's an Over the Atlantic thing.
    Lame, I want it here too.

28. - Top - End - #298

RogueGuy

Well according to Jim's forums, it's also available in Montreal.

You guys get to lead the free world, we get early release for Dresden files.

Seems fair.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

You guys get to lead the free world, we get early release for Dresden files.

Seems fair.
    Extended sigging this one.

30. - Top - End - #300

All I want to know is: Does Mother Winter play a role in the book above cameo? And, if so is it awesome?

Really want to see her again.

Chapter 4 Spoilers

Spoiler
    Show
    So we see Maeve attempt to use her mental link with the Winter Knight to dominate Harry like she did Lord Slate only to find out Harry is having none of that. It's been stated before in earlier books and short stories that the Winter Queens all have a mental link to the Winter Knight and can use it to subtly influence his thought processes molding the Knight more to their liking. I speculate that while true its not the whole story. No, the full truth is that the link is two-way and the Winter Knight also has the power to influence the natures of the Winter Queens. Its just that Maeve always made a point of picking Knights too hidebound/weak-willed to realize it/do anything with it. But Mab chose the Knight this time specifically to help fight against the upcoming Outsider incursion and therefore sought out the strongest willed potential Knight she could find. Maeve is terrified by this Mab finds it exciting.
    Last edited by Spamotron; 2012-11-25 at 07:03 PM.