New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Well I was going to continue to dance around saying that Mortals are the mightiest faction of the Dresdenverse and murderated a skinwalker with a nuke... but since you missed that.
    The Mortal World is called that for a reason. Unfortunately the Mortal world doesn't touch the Outer Gates. And thus becomes an issue for Outsiders trying to get in.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    The Mortal World is called that for a reason. Unfortunately the Mortal world doesn't touch the Outer Gates. And thus becomes an issue for Outsiders trying to get in.
    Think about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nemesis takes mankind. All of it. Its the Thing after all if you are making it so casual Peabody put most of the Wardens under its thumb.

Nemesis now controls the most powerful faction around. Target number two is the Wizards. Who are beaten easily being mere what a few thousand against billions. Add a few of them and you can now open the Ways and reach beyond the Outer Gates.

Send mortal armies into the Faerie armed with iron. Kill/Enslave Summer then start eating into Winter to the Outer Gates

Profit!

There's no reason to be sneaky when you can win outright. Ergo Nemesis has some limits on the ease at which it can expand/whatever. Or it literally has already won.

(Or Jim Butcher has a rather conspicuous hole in his pop-culture knowledge of things...)

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Think about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nemesis takes mankind. All of it. Its the Thing after all if you are making it so casual Peabody put most of the Wardens under its thumb.

Nemesis now controls the most powerful faction around. Target number two is the Wizards. Who are beaten easily being mere what a few thousand against billions. Add a few of them and you can now open the Ways and reach beyond the Outer Gates.

Send mortal armies into the Faerie armed with iron. Kill/Enslave Summer then start eating into Winter to the Outer Gates

Profit!

There's no reason to be sneaky when you can win outright. Ergo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nemesis
    has some limits on the ease at which it can expand/whatever. Or it literally has already won.

(Or Jim Butcher has a rather conspicuous hole in his pop-culture knowledge of things...)
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Peabody did get most of the Wardens under his control through use of his inks over the course of close to 5 years of continued exposure. That is a wee bit more then casual.
    2. Against overwhelming firepower of mortals I suspect every wizard capable of getting into Nevernever as Dresden calls it would make an effort too.
    3. And yeah its a powerful option but just skipping mortals, and going for wizards, or other powerful entities would work just as well.
    4. Fae may be hurt by iron, and it may wreck their spells but the can still pull a big mental whammy on mortals. Note except for this last time everytime Dresden has lead mortals against them he has had to provide them with some means of piercing the glamours. Not a deterent but it means Farie will have more time to get their act together and notice.
    5. And the whole Winter Knight thing. If Mab/ Winter Queen had any inclining she'd probably start sending her knight after those who were starting to be a threat. As a whole mortals are a danger, but as individuals against a World-Walking Assassin? Not so much.
    Last edited by jindra34; 2013-01-06 at 09:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show

Expanding on point .5, mortals as a whole also tend to be heavily dependent on heirarchy in combat situations - screaming mobs are scary, but their only advantage in a fight is numbers/density. Any of the supernatural factions could severely hamper any attempt by mortals to organize against them.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

Its a completely separate question really. As that ragged edge of physics is still strictly theories they are not nessecarily even true for the Dresdenverse. We know that any sort of magic implies a certain level of "wrongness" to physics from lacking facts, but to what extent we don't have data to determine.
    Harry does mention back in I think White Knight that magic obeys physics to a certain extent. You can use magic to draw forth power and throw a ball of fire, but once you throw it that ball will obey laws of heat, convection and so on. At one point, he was summoning up a lot of fire by drawing heat from the area around him, and as a result managed to freeze over the surface of the lake he was on.

Then there was that weird pseudo-science explanation for why he doesn't/won't age and why/how he eventually heals all the way instead of just enough like most humans. Something about his body's electrical field, or his cells replicating with much better accuracy than those of a normal human?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Then there was that weird pseudo-science explanation for why he doesn't/won't age and why/how he eventually heals all the way instead of just enough like most humans. Something about his body's electrical field, or his cells replicating with much better accuracy than those of a normal human?
    It was the latter, and it isn't really pseudo-science; replicating without degradation is how cancer and stem cells can grow with the speed and accuracy that they do, and the absence of telomerase (an enzyme that helps compensate for copying defects) is associated with premature aging syndromes.

Whatever the biological basis of the "wizard gene" that lets you manipulate magic is, it could plausibly have side effects involving enhanced cell repair functionality, particularly since natural selection would be likely to select for both "can use pyrokinesis and telekinesis" and "can survive doing stupid things with pyrokinesis and telekinesis" in the same organism.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    It was the latter, and it isn't really pseudo-science; replicating without degradation is how cancer and stem cells can grow with the speed and accuracy that they do, and the absence of telomerase (an enzyme that helps compensate for copying defects) is associated with premature aging syndromes.

Whatever the biological basis of the "wizard gene" that lets you manipulate magic is, it could plausibly have side effects involving enhanced cell repair functionality, particularly since natural selection would be likely to select for both "can use pyrokinesis and telekinesis" and "can survive doing stupid things with pyrokinesis and telekinesis" in the same organism.
    almost. is-able-to-do/does stupid things is usually found in unison with the extremely-lucky gene
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    It was the latter, and it isn't really pseudo-science;
    Eh, not pseudo-science so much, but very hand wavy. It was nice that some explanation was given beyond "magic!", but it really leaves a lot of questions. No more than the rest of the series though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    is-able-to-do/does stupid things is usually found in unison with the extremely-lucky gene
    Only in fiction.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Harry does mention back in I think White Knight that magic obeys physics to a certain extent. You can use magic to draw forth power and throw a ball of fire, but once you throw it that ball will obey laws of heat, convection and so on. At one point, he was summoning up a lot of fire by drawing heat from the area around him, and as a result managed to freeze over the surface of the lake he was on.
    Well you are going in a different direction here but no matter its worth discussing.

So yeah let me put it like this, the idea of "to a certain extent" makes this pretty much complete bull**** from a scientific point of view. At least from physics. Because physics is one of the few hard sciences where if it isn't numbers and math it isn't science. Physics demands precision and what little there isn't is due to outside forces under the same rules that are impractical to measure all the time. This is macro-scale so ignore quantum mechanics

Harry's own case with Lake Michigan is a good example. Sure he sucks heat out so it freezes. But if not the physicist then the engineer should be immediately be asking, how that worked. How did Harry draw a general diffused heat out of an area to put it into a chemical reaction creating luminescent gas in the atmosphere above the lake. Where did the energy to do the work of that come from, what mechanism created the conductive/convective/radiant cooling effect to draw the heat out. What further drew that into a shape. The questions go on and on.

The whole thing is a giant mixed metaphor with an explanation is no more scientific then just "its magic" for the whole thing. An effect merely describable in physics terms does not a science make.

I would not be surprised to learn that Harry in fact only "does business with" physics because his mind doesn't realize he shouldn't have to. Because he views magic as a sort of impersonal fact of reality and physics is another impersonal fact of reality, his willpower will not function to shape magic except in that model. Even then there are philosophical blind spots, like how "fire" is largely a phantom from a physics/chemistry perspective, since its a combination of chemical reactions and heat that give off light.

I suspect a Wizard educated under a different model could do magic that didn't "do business with physics" nearly as much as Harry. And thus create say a fireball with an exact radius because they don't think they shouldn't. But on the other hand couldn't draw heat out of a lake to make ice, because fire is not ice.

Exactly and pseudo-science is nothing to do with science. It can only go to a point and then becomes "that's impossible!" where the magic takes over entirely.

Don't confuse effect with process.

Certainly its not purely genetic, unless Charity isn't aging and will be around to badger Molly for another century or more. Suppressing your magical talent until you can't use it shouldn't effect a fact of your body's cellular reproduction. The wizard body is seemingly a side effect of the magical talent. While Butters has told us the science end result, the effect probably has more to do with an idea like "you are tapping into the force of the universe and filling yourself with life itself on a regular basis" thus promoting wellness. Or exercise for the spirit having a sympathetic magic type thaumaturgical reaction with the body.

The Dresdenverse uses pure magic without any science end mumbo-jumbo attached quite often too remember. Circles and Thresholds, sure Harry uses "energy" to describe some of that, but its not something anywhere close to physics being able to describe. Or why the Ways can have emotional connections, you go to a spooky place and you open a Way and chances are its a spooky part of the Nevernever. Or heck how emotions power magic, what's the numerical value on emotions and how do they convert to joules?

Now sure philosophically this might all work out so that the magic including science of the Dresdenverse is out there. There might even be a mathematical value for something like willpower to be found measured and used. But what we know of magic and what we know of physics isn't enough to get us there. And its equally possible (and philosophically probable) that the Dresdenverse is not reducable universally to numbers and thus is not scientific (from our perspective, it would be from its own) because it cannot fundamentally be measured and analyzed completely.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Eh, not pseudo-science so much, but very hand wavy. It was nice that some explanation was given beyond "magic!", but it really leaves a lot of questions. No more than the rest of the series though.

Only in fiction.
    not only in fiction. I know enough people who do stupid stuff and are lucky enough to tell the tale...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

11. - Top - End - #521
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

not only in fiction. I know enough people who do stupid stuff and are lucky enough to tell the tale...

Yeah, well, a lot of my friends have told me stories about the time they got themselves killed
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Well you are going in a different direction here but no matter its worth discussing.

So yeah let me put it like this, the idea of "to a certain extent" makes this pretty much complete bull**** from a scientific point of view. At least from physics. Because physics is one of the few hard sciences where if it isn't numbers and math it isn't science. Physics demands precision and what little there isn't is due to outside forces under the same rules that are impractical to measure all the time. This is macro-scale so ignore quantum mechanics

Harry's own case with Lake Michigan is a good example. Sure he sucks heat out so it freezes. But if not the physicist then the engineer should be immediately be asking, how that worked. How did Harry draw a general diffused heat out of an area to put it into a chemical reaction creating luminescent gas in the atmosphere above the lake. Where did the energy to do the work of that come from, what mechanism created the conductive/convective/radiant cooling effect to draw the heat out. What further drew that into a shape. The questions go on and on.

The whole thing is a giant mixed metaphor with an explanation is no more scientific then just "its magic" for the whole thing. An effect merely describable in physics terms does not a science make.

I would not be surprised to learn that Harry in fact only "does business with" physics because his mind doesn't realize he shouldn't have to. Because he views magic as a sort of impersonal fact of reality and physics is another impersonal fact of reality, his willpower will not function to shape magic except in that model. Even then there are philosophical blind spots, like how "fire" is largely a phantom from a physics/chemistry perspective, since its a combination of chemical reactions and heat that give off light.

I suspect a Wizard educated under a different model could do magic that didn't "do business with physics" nearly as much as Harry. And thus create say a fireball with an exact radius because they don't think they shouldn't. But on the other hand couldn't draw heat out of a lake to make ice, because fire is not ice.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I mean, in Changes his godmother comments on his combination of ice and fire magic, how is is able to use one to fuel the other, and how it shows an impressive understanding of magic.

I think, in this case, Magic is a energy source, and your willpower shapes that energy in certain ways, making a mechanism. So, a Wizard can basically create a giant heat exchanger with his mind.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Remember that, in Dresdenverse, magic is very much shaped by the mind of the wizard using it. Sure it follows some general rules, but each spell is very much a product of the Wizard casting it. That's why "Magic Words" are usually just nonsensical gibberish/mnemoic devices used by Wizards.

We've only ever seen Magic described from Harry's perspective. Harry views magic in terms of forces and energy, you shoot fire by sending out some fire magic, which then takes the form of a blast of heat and flame. You put up a shield by using some magic to create a plane of force, which then blocks projectiles.
    It's almost like Physics, but it's not. It's Psudeophysics. It is to Physics in the same way that, say, Astrology is like Astronomy. both of them are looking at stars, but they're using totally different sets of rules.

Now, remember that Harry's non magical education probably ended at a GED.

Harry, with a badly remembered high-school education, knows that Heat is a form of energy, and if you take Heat away from something, it gets colder, and Fire is Hot. So you can take the Heat out of a lake, leaving ice, and make Fire with it.

Now, for a physicist that doesn't make any sense. But this isn't physics, it's pseudophysics, and in pseudophysics Water-Heat=Ice+Fire, because that makes sense if you don't think about it.

You know, I wonder how much of each wizard's style/specializations come from their personal perception of Magic. Harry perceives Magic as moving forces around. His magical specialty is big, blasty evocations, which just so happens to translate very nicely into Pseudophysics. He describes Raising Sue as like "Lifting an Engine Block".

It would be interesting to see a story from the perspective of, say, Molly, who (making stuff up here) views Magic as using power to impose one's will on reality. Remember the first time Molly used magic was when she wished her mother couldn't see her, and then Poof, she was invisible. Outright conjuration seems to be beyond Dresdenverse magic, but Illusions are pretty close.

Harry sucks at Illusions because he perceives Magic as being all about forces, and veils and illusions really don't translate well into that sort of language. If Molly's perception of magic focuses on result (I want them to hear sirens/see fire), rather than Process (I need to vibrate the air in such a way as to make the sounds of sirens/ make light in such a way as to look like fire) it's much easier. However, That mindset would not work as well for big, smashy evocations, since you're trying to go straight to "I Want that guy to be on fire", rather than "I'm going to throw fire at that guy".

So basically, it's a magic feather.

No real evidence, just theory.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-01-08 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #524
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I realize that the Dresden Files have always contained a LOT of Male Gaze, and I realize that it's turned up to 11 in Winter Wizard Adventures to simulate the influence of the evil forces inside him now, but man, I really hope it gets toned down in the next book. Weird rapey thoughts are just weird to me.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

That's just because most stupid things are less risky than you'd think.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I mean, in Changes his godmother comments on his combination of ice and fire magic, how is is able to use one to fuel the other, and how it shows an impressive understanding of magic.

I think, in this case, Magic is a energy source, and your willpower shapes that energy in certain ways, making a mechanism. So, a Wizard can basically create a giant heat exchanger with his mind.
    Oh it can be understood (to a point) as a heat engine... but that's still effect not process oriented. Doing that in actual science demands well, an engine which you can't just do out of nothing. We can't just manipulate heat which is were the magic comes in.

Also Harry isn't producing hot air (the result of heat exchange) he's producing fire. We've been in his head and I can't recall him ever mentioning any of the fire triangle/pyramid pieces.

Harry makes fire but in the classical element sense. Which is fine really for since the beauty of the idea is that he can have these blind spots and make it still work. As Harry says magic is really all about will, his entire approach to magic is really a mental foci like his blasting rod is a physical one.

Now his dual elemental use is another mixed metaphor. Since he recognizes a relationship between the fire and ice (even if its technically nonsense) he can connect them with his own loose relationship framework and make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It would be interesting to see a story from the perspective of, say, Molly, who (making stuff up here) views Magic as using power to impose one's will on reality. Remember the first time Molly used magic was when she wished her mother couldn't see her, and then Poof, she was invisible. Outright conjuration seems to be beyond Dresdenverse magic, but Illusions are pretty close.
    That's an awesome concept. I've wanted something in the Dresdenverse not actually from Harry's point of view for quite awhile now. Though I'm not sure Jim Butcher is up to it per say. Because Thomas/Marcone/Murphy spent their stories convincing me how much like Harry they really are.

(For that matter I swear Molly's noodle incident in Cold Days feels like a plug for one. Is there one out there?)

That's all moving to another issue. Kinda make you wonder if Harry's early assumptions about Molly have permanently shaped her magic? And maybe Harry himself is a brawny arse bastard because that's what Justin intended. With Justin able to overpower Elaine and out-finesse Harry.

No real evidence, just theory.
    I personally think you are spot on here.

17. - Top - End - #527

I really like the 'magic is shaped by will' train of thought, because it leaves the possibility that Jim might decide to introduce a technomancer. Either a teenager or young adult, someone for whom technology, electronics, and machinery have been an inescapable part of their life growing up, and who didn't know they had magical heritage. So when they started being able to do magic, it worked fine on and around technology because they'd never been told otherwise. It would freak Harry the heck out, at the very least.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-01-08 at 09:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

I think I saw some WoJ that supports that idea. That aside from the gradually shifting thing, the level of tech unaffected is getting more advanced over time or by generation or such. (Harry of course just gets an extra helping to make him suffer)

And while outright technomancy might be a bit out there... I think from what we've heard the techbane problem should be actually solvable for some wizards. Harry did build a shielding spell when he was much less skilled then he was now, someone with a defter touch should be able to improve on that. Say instead of a container that fills up (like Harry did) one that continuously takes that buildup and turns it into say electricity then grounded out with a little wire to the earth.

Butters should test how Harry, a computer or three, and a Faraday Cage get along.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

Butters should test how Harry, a computer or three, and a Faraday Cage get along.
    *imagines a cagematch between harry and 3 computers*

Anyway, the thing about heat is that cold is absent heat. And even then it's a force thing: he effectively reduces the movement in atoms in the lake (solidification, this is highschool stuff right?)/drawing heat energy, and creating fire above (which every 12 y/o knows needs oxygen, heat and burnable stuff aka fuel). So what if magic is 'just' the ability to alter energy states and streams. it even meshes well with why electrics don't like Harry: It's like a giant unshielded capacitor (Harry has lots of power and can pump out lots in a very short time) whose field disrupts the flow ef electric energy that is going round in electrics.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

20. - Top - End - #530
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I've got a flight 'round the world in like three weeks, so I was wondering: How long are the audiobooks, and what's their level of quality?

21. - Top - End - #531
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMook View Post
    So I've got a flight 'round the world in like three weeks, so I was wondering: How long are the audiobooks, and what's their level of quality?
    I think they run between 10-12 hours and the majority are narrated by James Marsters(Spike from Buffy). I hear good things about them, but haven't listened to them myself.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think they run between 10-12 hours and the majority are narrated by James Marsters(Spike from Buffy). I hear good things about them, but haven't listened to them myself.
    James Marsters does the reading? That is awesome.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

*imagines a cagematch between harry and 3 computers*

Anyway, the thing about heat is that cold is absent heat. And even then it's a force thing: he effectively reduces the movement in atoms in the lake (solidification, this is highschool stuff right?)/drawing heat energy, and creating fire above (which every 12 y/o knows needs oxygen, heat and burnable stuff aka fuel). So what if magic is 'just' the ability to alter energy states and streams. it even meshes well with why electrics don't like Harry: It's like a giant unshielded capacitor (Harry has lots of power and can pump out lots in a very short time) whose field disrupts the flow ef electric energy that is going round in electrics.
    I have actually figured out a way for Wizardputers to work, although it requires some guesswork about how those nifty Magic Circles work.

1: We saw Harry cancel out his Tech-screwup field with a Chalk Circle, so we know that keeps Magic out just fine.
    2: we know that Crossing a Circle breaks it. However it considering modern buildings, wires moving underneath the Circle shouldn't break it, since otherwise you couldn't draw a Circle inside a city, unless you've managed to find a spot with no power lines or pipes underneath it, and no birds flying overhead.
    3: Harry was able to keep a phone line running in his house, which means that even in an area of high magical density, some, very simple, technology can work ("Anything Predating WWII" is usually the line).

Now, here is how you work a Wizardputer.

First you have a magic circle which contains the Computer, the Monitor, and a power source, probably an AC outlet set into the floor.

Outside the Circle you mount the input devices: a Keyboard and Mouse. Both should be old-fashioned mechanical affairs. They may postdate WWII, but the mechanics of these things are not that much more complex than a phone. The Wires travel into the desk, Under the circle, and then back up to plug into the Computer.

Ta-Da, the fancy computer bits are now isolated from meddling wizardmagics, while the input devices are mechanically simple enough to work.

If having wires cross like that does not work, there is another, less elegant option, which is you set up a computer with Vocal Recognition software. The Wizard just talks at the screen.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

I think I saw some WoJ that supports that idea. That aside from the gradually shifting thing, the level of tech unaffected is getting more advanced over time or by generation or such. (Harry of course just gets an extra helping to make him suffer)
    It's in the DFRPG book, I believe - it basically states that a Wizard's techbane is based on what the Wizard considers to be "complicated gadgetry," and IIRC posits that a sufficiently old Wizard might even techbane something as simple as Gutenberg's printing press. Intriguingly, this implies that someone who didn't find electronics to be dauntingly complex (maybe a kid who rebuilt old radios as a hobby before coming into his/her Power, or something of the sort) might be able to use computers, cell phones, and the like without Harry's difficulties. Might even be able to function as a "technomancer." (Speaking of the RPG, there's a character inspiration for later use.) AFAIK no one and nothing like that has been seen in the series to date, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    James Marsters does the reading? That is awesome.
    Yes. And again, yes.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    It's in the DFRPG book, I believe - it basically states that a Wizard's techbane is based on what the Wizard considers to be "complicated gadgetry," and IIRC posits that a sufficiently old Wizard might even techbane something as simple as Gutenberg's printing press. Intriguingly, this implies that someone who didn't find electronics to be dauntingly complex (maybe a kid who rebuilt old radios as a hobby before coming into his/her Power, or something of the sort) might be able to use computers, cell phones, and the like without Harry's difficulties. Might even be able to function as a "technomancer." (Speaking of the RPG, there's a character inspiration for later use.) AFAIK no one and nothing like that has been seen in the series to date, though.

Yes. And again, yes.
    If I recall, they say that the Inconvenient Wizard Side Effect has shifted throughout history. It used to be that Wizards would have nasty boils, or make fire burn different colors around them.
    Right now, it's that Wizards mess up technology.

The whole "Whatever the Wizard considers Advanced" thing would make sense if it was just computers, but it seems to mess up all electronics. I'm not super sure about Harry's age, but he would have been born well after the invention of stuff like lightbulbs, refrigerators, and water heaters yet he dosn't use either in his apartment since they break down so often.

Unless it's not so much "What the Wizard sees as advanced" as it is "What the Wizard understands", which means that Harry can't keep a refrigerator around, not because he thinks it's crazy newfangled supertech, but because he does not know how it works.

Hrmm...I'm liking the Technomancer concept. Molly was what, 17 or so when her Magic kicked in? By that age a sufficiently gifted kid could be a competent programmer. If you go with my "Your perception of Magic alters your competency", he might perceive Magic like a programming language. Rather than just pick some nonsense words, he builds himself an entire language of incantations which he then combines into increasingly complex spells, which he then stores in a Focus and sets to go off with a specific keyword.

So he's got a piece of paper with "
    Code:
    Begin Prog Incinerate 
    int dis= INPUT (Parse.Verbal)
    int dir= INPUT (degree.Point)
    Create.Fire(dis.dir)
    If (Call.CheckforFriendly(Dis.Dir) == true)
    Call.ExcludeFriendly(Dis.Dir)
    end
    So then he shouts "BEGIN PROG INCINERATE, 30 FT" then he points, and fire shows up 30 feet in the direction he's pointing. If somebody he's predefined as being on his list of friends is there, it targets itself more precisely.

Of course, considering the way Dresdenverse magic works, it's possible that any leftover magical energy stored in these foci would get wiped away at Dawn. Meaning he would have to refill these pre-prepared spells every day.

...Did I just make a logically consistent Dresdenverse Vancian caster? Because I think I just did.
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #536

Or maybe his magic-gibberish is leetspeek and internet memes.

Telekinetic grab: "I CAN HAS".
    Shield spell: "DO NOT WANT".

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

"So, Wizard ***[WCoW]MagicSniperXXX***. You managed to get this far, but all for naught. I have defeated you, and soon my plan will be complete"
    "That's what you think. But I know something you don't know."
    "And what might that be?"
    "IMMA FIRING MA LAZORZ" *Shoots massive energy beam out of his mouth* *Teabags Corpse*

Edit: He becomes a Warden, encounters a Warlock.
    "The Laws of magic are nothing more than the ramblings of old men afraid of True power!"
    "STFU, I R Admin, ur banned 4 hax"
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-01-09 at 12:34 PM.
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Not mutually exclusive.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    "So, Wizard ***[WCoW]MagicSniperXXX***. You managed to get this far, but all for naught. I have defeated you, and soon my plan will be complete"
    "That's what you think. But I know something you don't know."
    "And what might that be?"
    "IMMA FIRING MA LAZORZ" *Shoots massive energy beam out of his mouth* *Teabags Corpse*

Edit: He becomes a Warden, encounters a Warlock.
    "The Laws of magic are nothing more than the ramblings of old men afraid of True power!"
    "STFU, I R Admin, ur banned 4 hax"
    Admins would be SC, Wardens are more like mods

You have been found guilty of breaching the EULA, now feel the B4NH4MM0RZ (slings force spell)

Also, it would open a way for enhancing magics as G0DM0D3 and such
    Last edited by Socratov; 2013-01-09 at 01:04 PM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

30. - Top - End - #540

Fire magic's easy enough - OMGWTFBBQ.