New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming (Cold Days Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    All this Star Trek talk reminds me of the most pressing question to ever face Dresden fans...

Which Trek Molly is best Trek Molly?

My vote's on Chekhov Molly.
    Nah, Scotty Molly all the way.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    To clarify: I really don't consider "lack of scientific rigor" to be a point against either Butcher or the series. I'm aware of it, but it's simply not relevant to the reasons I enjoy the books.

I do consider it a serious knock against Star Trek, but that's due to that franchise's presentation - largely by the fandom, admittedly - as actually incorporating (or even being about) real science.
    I don't consider it a knock against the Dresden Files either. Or much of one against Trek since it ultimately originates not too far from flying saucers from Mars and sci-fi is just plain hard to do well on the science front. Both fall in the category of being "light entertainment" so I don't expect certain things of them.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-03-08 at 02:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    To clarify: I really don't consider "lack of scientific rigor" to be a point against either Butcher or the series. I'm aware of it, but it's simply not relevant to the reasons I enjoy the books.
    I have to agree with this. The Dresden Files isn't exactly The Great American Novel or anything, but I like it and I don't think scientific rigor even plays a part.
    I do consider it a serious knock against Star Trek, but that's due to that franchise's presentation - largely by the fandom, admittedly - as actually incorporating (or even being about) real science.
    I don't agree with this though. I don't care what the insane Trekkie Fandom has to say, Star Trek was never hard science fiction. It is about the future in the societal sense, not the technological sense, technology is just there to drive the story and the humanist message of the series.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Banned

Just putting this out there.

I think "Death Curse" would be a fantastic name for a casefile/title as it fits the criteria & is kinda badass

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Just putting this out there.

I think "Death Curse" would be a fantastic name for a casefile/title as it fits the criteria & is kinda badass
    Mmmm, it does, although I'm more a fan of the titles that are puns of some sort. (Fool Moon, Grave Peril, Dead Beat, you know...)
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Well it does rather fit the naming scheme.

7. - Top - End - #817

Speaking of names, we know at least the back-of-book-jacket premise of Book 15, so why don't we start speculating what it could be named?

8. - Top - End - #818
    Banned

Demon Deals?

9. - Top - End - #819
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Speaking of names, we know at least the back-of-book-jacket premise of Book 15, so why don't we start speculating what it could be named?
    I'm pretty sure that's already been said: Skin Game.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought it was said that Grevanne didn't unleash his death curse because he couldn't believe he would actually fail/die until it was too late. They're not something you can throw on impulse or unconsciously, by evidence given to us.
    That's what Dresden said. I still think it was because if he did fire his Death Curse he couldn't have come back. In other words, he didn't believe he was about to die because he was not about to die.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #821
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Mmmm, it does, although I'm more a fan of the titles that are puns of some sort. (Fool Moon, Grave Peril, Dead Beat, you know...)
    "Death Curse" could very well be made up as some sort of pun.

I'd read Death Curse.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, Skin Game is the name of the next book.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

I've been out of the loop for for a bit; do we actually know anything about Skin Game except for the title? We know the Denarians should make a showing, and the title suggests maybe a skinwalker or something (or someone running around in the nuddy), but anything concrete?

Also, I just checked Butcher's website: he's writing a steampunk series? Hells yes please.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2013-03-13 at 02:20 AM.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I've been out of the loop for for a bit; do we actually know anything about Skin Game except for the title? We know the Denarians should make a showing, and the title suggests maybe a skinwalker or something (or someone running around in the nuddy), but anything concrete?

Also, I just checked Butcher's website: he's writing a steampunk series? Hells yes please.
    Yes please indeed.

But it's called Skin Game because it involves Harry teaming up with (possibly) Nicky and the Nickelheads to steal the Golden Fleece from Hades.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Yes please indeed.

But it's called Skin Game because it involves Harry teaming up with (possibly) Nicky and the Nickelheads to steal the Golden Fleece from Hades.
    Huh. I didn't see that coming.

Should be interesting, at least.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Well you should have seen Nick coming... its not a very well hidden pattern.

Now Mab in collusion with Nick I think poses the question, was Harry set-up to become the Winter Knight specifically not just in general?
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-03-13 at 08:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Well you should have seen Nick coming... its not a very well hidden pattern.

Now Mab in collusion with Nick I think poses the question, was Harry set-up to become the Winter Knight specifically not just in general?
    I think specifically. Is it really a coincidence that an Outsiderbane who's grandfather is the blackstaff and who's godmother is the Leansidhe just happened to become the Winter Knight? Plus why does Mab spend so much effort trying to recruit him when we know that the Courts go through knights like paper cups? We also know that Maggie was heavily involved with the Winter Court.

18. - Top - End - #828

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Yes please indeed.

One's a millenia-old supervillain with a noose of invincibility and a fallen angel's coin. One's a badass modern wizard with soulfire and the Mantle of Winter. They Fight Crime.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I think specifically. Is it really a coincidence that an Outsiderbane who's grandfather is the blackstaff and who's godmother is the Leansidhe just happened to become the Winter Knight? Plus why does Mab spend so much effort trying to recruit him when we know that the Courts go through knights like paper cups? We also know that Maggie was heavily involved with the Winter Court.
    No we know he was set up in general I mean that he was set up specifically.

Namely Mab arranged with Nick for Nick/Anduriel to sneak into the Church to manipulate Harry into becoming the Winter Knight. Possibly this mission being the payoff, possibly other favors in addition to it.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Namely Mab arranged with Nick for Nick/Anduriel to sneak into the Church to manipulate Harry into becoming the Winter Knight. Possibly this mission being the payoff, possibly other favors in addition to it.
    This is speculation right? I never really assumed it was Anduriel who whispered to Harry in Changes. I kind of assumed it was higher up, someone on par with Uriel which would be some sort of fallen Archangel (e.g., Lucifer).

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    This is speculation right? I never really assumed it was Anduriel who whispered to Harry in Changes. I kind of assumed it was higher up, someone on par with Uriel which would be some sort of fallen Archangel (e.g., Lucifer).
    Who's the only living shadow we know? And the demon in the church manifested as a shadow.

Anduriel needs to be on the top of any suspect list for that particular event. Sure like Kincaid for Harry's murder there's plenty of other potential shooters but I'm not exactly saying this is a conviction in a court of law.

Its the simplest method going by what we know. And the synopsis of the next book adds gives us a potential motive.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Who's the only living shadow we know? And the demon in the church manifested as a shadow.

Anduriel needs to be on the top of any suspect list for that particular event. Sure like Kincaid for Harry's murder there's plenty of other potential shooters but I'm not exactly saying this is a conviction in a court of law.

Its the simplest method going by what we know. And the synopsis of the next book adds gives us a potential motive.
    We know of one other shadow related to fallen angels that Harry has dealt with. And it would know Harry a good deal better than Anduriel. Admittedly the reason why it would lie to him and give him that push is unknown but it would be in the right place.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lasciel? After all she is a "woman scorned":

Q: Will we see Lash or Lasciel again?
    A: Lasciel’s story is not over. And keep in mind what’s said about ‘a woman scorned.’ Also keep in mind that Lasciel is NOT Lash; Lasciel did not reabsorb the entity that Harry actually changed. (Yes, he use those words “that Harry actually changed.”)
    And we know she appeared in Ghost Story:

Is Lasciel going to make a comeback? The coin is still buried in the lab, right?
    Her coin isn’t in the lab anymore. Her story is not yet over. However, both Lasciel and Lash appeared in Ghost Story, but not under those names.
    I can't think of anywhere else where she might have appeared except by being the Parasite (and I'm pretty sure that's Lash).

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

Until someone points to where else Lasciel appears in Ghost Story, I'm assuming the shadow is Lasciel.
    Edit: Ninja'd by a vampire.

Also, Skin Game blurb:
    Ok, the next novel in the Dresden Files is called Skin Game, it’s a heist. Mab goes to Harry and says, “You have to help this guy steal something”. And the person they’re ripping it off from is the lord of the underworld, Hades, who has re-purposed Daedalus’ labyrinth as his, kind of as his personal safe. So Harry and Nicodemus are off to rip off the lord of hell. We’ll see how that goes.
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2013-03-13 at 03:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #835

Another thing I noticed re-reading the series - how smart is Hendricks?

At the beginning of the series, and through most of it, he's been portrayed as dumb muscle. Even as far as Small Favors, he has to count on his fingers to get to six. But in the Marcone short story, he's writing a thesis paper. Was he meant as dumb muscle early on who evolved into a more complex character? Does he use Obfuscating Stupidity when he's out and about, or is it just Dresden's prejudices and preconceptions keeping Hendricks locked away under 'stupid gorilla'?

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Another thing I noticed re-reading the series - how smart is Hendricks?

At the beginning of the series, and through most of it, he's been portrayed as dumb muscle. Even as far as Small Favors, he has to count on his fingers to get to six. But in the Marcone short story, he's writing a thesis paper. Was he meant as dumb muscle early on who evolved into a more complex character? Does he use Obfuscating Stupidity when he's out and about, or is it just Dresden's prejudices and preconceptions keeping Hendricks locked away under 'stupid gorilla'?
    I think its half and half of your last question. His job is essentially Marcone's bodyguard, but he often acts as Marcone's right hand man. And you don't get to do that with out both skill and the discretion to know when to use those skills.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, Hendrick's is clearly an extremely sharp and dangerous individual who cultivates a bit of a "dumb muscle," image to get the threats he needs to bodyguard against to underestimate him. Its not clear whether Harry falls for it or is just so petty as to constantly trash talk him even in his "personal private case files." But Harry freely admits that in some ways he's a very petty man.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

I definitely think Harry's biases are showing when it comes to criminal thugs.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I can't think of anywhere else where she might have appeared except by being the Parasite (and I'm pretty sure that's Lash).
    Did Mab ever identify herself as the Inez in the graveyard or Harry for her? I can't seem to confirm that and that would seem significant if she wasn't confirmed to be Mab. (Actually Mab had Lea for a proxy...)

Or maybe the Parasite is both of them somehow and that's why Harry's head is exploding. Someone new from the book like Childs or Fitz or even someone established that was handed a coin? The vaguely hints of danger around deadland Chicago? Something we're all missing?

Its a sizable book.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

And the girl who takes Harry's order at the burger king is Harry's mother.