New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Star Child? Whassat?

I still think Murphy > Molly as far as romantic partners go, but we all know that whichever is first it's going to end tragically.
    Whichever is first? Please this is Harry Dresden EVERYTHING is going to end badly.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

I know right? How much do you want to bet he fails at averting the Big Apocalypse that happens in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

And then Butters declares TPK and has them all roll new characters, and this time don't just make copies of themselves for the next campaign.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You gotta be wondering who's on the bad guys side for the BAT. I mean the Outsiders sure, but who amongst the earthly races wants it all to end?
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    You gotta be wondering who's on the bad guys side for the BAT. I mean the Outsiders sure, but who amongst the earthly races wants it all to end?
    Its not going to "end" its going to get new ruler ship. So has anyone considered the implications of the titles of that trilogy. Jim released them a while back and every time i think of them i get little chills.

for anyone not aware the titles are Hells Bells Stars and Stones Empty Night
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

There is a world of difference in no longer being directly taught by him and not being "His Student" At the end of the day Harry is her Mentor, her gate to world of her adult life. It would be Icky and Immoral for him to take advantage of that situation to date her until well into her more mature years.
    Yes and no, actualy at the end of the day, Harry was dead and Molly was forced to stand on her own, she is no longer a child but an adult, and that makes her fair game in that regard.

Plus, GHOST STORY SPOILERS
    Actualy no, that did not break the 3rd law, the important part here is that there was no forced entry.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    for anyone not aware the titles are Hells Bells Stars and Stones Empty Night
    "There's a reason those are swears."

Who's on the Bad Guy's Side? Everyone who sides themselves with the Outsiders. Cowl, Justin (DED dead, like Harry) and their ilk. Unless Cowl and Kumori are revealed to be time travelling Harry and Molly.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Star Child? Whassat?
    I just listened to the Ghost Story audiobook. He Who Walks Behind calls Harry a Child of the Stars. I guess that's the proper name for people with Anti-Outsider power.

As for the titles, I'm thinking:
    Hells Bells: Hell
    Stars and Stones: Sidhe
    Empty Night: Outsiders. Previously, I thought vampires, but they are sort of gone. Unless the Black Court and/or White Court is behind it all.

Currently, I'm considering the Fomorians to be a good candidate for Big Bad. wide collection of monsters from all mythologies, banned to the oceans by the surviving surface supernaturals in a gigantic war, and out for revenge at all cost? Those might be mad and angry enough to deal with outsiders.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

We're not even really sure what the Fomorians' deal is, yet, as I recall, or I might have just missed it.

As I see it, they're really just a side show for the moment until Harry gets back to Chicago for real and asserts control, which I think is going to be the end result of Cold Days, or the theme of the book after that, perhaps. Harry, realizing now that he created a power vacuum of mega proportions, is going to make the decision that he's the best (or at least least horrible) person to fill it up again and turn Chicago into a White Council town, possibly even the new home to the Council after the old headquarters get thrashed.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    We're not even really sure what the Fomorians' deal is, yet, as I recall, or I might have just missed it.

As I see it, they're really just a side show for the moment until Harry gets back to Chicago for real and asserts control, which I think is going to be the end result of Cold Days, or the theme of the book after that, perhaps. Harry, realizing now that he created a power vacuum of mega proportions, is going to make the decision that he's the best (or at least least horrible) person to fill it up again and turn Chicago into a White Council town, possibly even the new home to the Council after the old headquarters get thrashed.
    Or, maybe he could turn to Marcone for that. Marcone has been setting himself up for it the whole time. Sometimes the evil you know is better than the evil you don't. And Harry might be willing to throw into this one, as he knows that Marcone prefers order and "gentlemanly" villainy.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    The Leanansidhe gives a bit of detail on them in Ghost Story. Apparently, they are a loose alliance of various powerful critters banished from the land to the ocean by other supernatural powers. Titans, giants, demons, serpents, spirits, whatever they were called in their own mythologies.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    Or, maybe he could turn to Marcone for that. Marcone has been setting himself up for it the whole time. Sometimes the evil you know is better than the evil you don't. And Harry might be willing to throw into this one, as he knows that Marcone prefers order and "gentlemanly" villainy.
    Marcone has actually, as I read it, been trying to do this since Changes. Without a whole lot of success.

It isn't Marcone that kept Chicago stable and really bad guy light (not free, but light) for all those years, it was really Harry. Yeah, that city had its fair share of evil and then some, but it was Harry's presence, and the fear of the realization that nobody quite knew who's side he was on, what he would do at any given moment, and just how absurdly powerful he appeared to be (and might actually be in some ways) that kept a lot of the really bad folks from trying to put down roots in town. Really, it was only those already entrenched and too tough to argue with at the time that stuck around: the Red Court, the White Court to a lesser extent, and some of the low level villainy, but for the most part, Chicago was relatively free of supernatural predators.

To be fair, it was certainly the Red Court as well that kept a lot of the stability going if only for the simple reason that there's a lot of folks who didn't want to screw with those crazy blood suckers, but . . . well . . . we all know what that led to. And imagine if the end of Changes was just a little different and Ghost Story wasn't a Ghost Story.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The Leanansidhe gives a bit of detail on them in Ghost Story. Apparently, they are a loose alliance of various powerful critters banished from the land to the ocean by other supernatural powers. Titans, giants, demons, serpents, spirits, whatever they were called in their own mythologies.
    Yeah, I saw that part, but it seemed either that she didn't really know a whole lot on the matter, or she did and was simply not telling for reasons of her own. Probably a little of both, actually.

We, the readers, don't really know their game, yet. I'm sure we'll find out that it's not just a loose alliance and that there's something else at work there, but relatively minor when compared to an infestation of power hungry necromancers by comparison.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

I do kind of wonder what will come of Marcone's deadly Harry trap.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

First thought: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! That release date is too far away!!!!!

Second thought: Nice cover, but I wish he'd get a freaking haircut.

17. - Top - End - #77

Did anyone else just automatically insert a "DUN DUN DUNNNNNN" at the end of the description?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wait...

Once the revision of COLD DAYS is done, I will be writing the first book of my Steampunk series, which is called The Cinder Spires at the moment. The first book, (working title of 'The Aeronaut's Windlass') should be around the length of the first Alera book, and I'm planning to get it done by year's end, AT WHICH POINT I will then begin the next Dresden novel.
    ...Steampunk series by Jim Butcher.

eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Clearly, the only equitable solution is for Winter Knight Denarian Black Councilman Harry to rule the world with an iron fist while Molly, Murphy, and Luccio kneel chained to his throne in go-go outfits.
    You forgot Elaine. *nods*

Also, *starts nosebleeding at mental image*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, so "The Aeronaut's Windlass" is a super goofy title and I was never able to get into Codex Alera, but I will be checking that out. As long as the next Dresden book is earlier next year! Hopefully the break from Dresden will speed his process along!

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    You forgot Elaine. *nods*

Also, *starts nosebleeding at mental image*
    I totally did, my bad. Can I make up for it by adding in Andi and Georgia?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Did anyone else just automatically insert a "DUN DUN DUNNNNNN" at the end of the description?
    Yes. Yes I did.

But November is so far away... I need my Dresden fix dammit.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

I know right! And I will probably be in a land with limited Internet and cell phone reception when it comes out so downloading it to my ereader becomes impossible!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I pretty much bought and read the whole damn series over the past week or so. And it has, in fact, ruined every villain everywhere for me. Now, whenever I am reading their descriptions, or the DM is making the ominous introduction, all I am going to be able to think about is Harry sitting there making wiseass comments about them.

That said, it is something of a credit to Jim Butcher that I can still take his bad guy's seriously even when the protagonist is mouthing off to them. The Sidhe are kinda scary. Even... especially when Harry's godmother starts jumping up and down clapping and giggling. That is just all kinds of disturbing right there.

Personally, I'm hoping for at least one scene in Cold Days where Harry actually has to introduce himself in a formal setting. Preferably to a session of the White Council. Bonus points if no one attending realized he was still alive before he turned up.

Because Harry Dresden basically gets a narcotic high off of making dramatic entrances, and he deserves a little happiness.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    ...Steampunk series by Jim Butcher.
    Yeah, I pretty much had your reaction.

I am so going to read the hell out of that.

But 27 November is like... so far away.

Also I am steadfastly refraining from speculating anything about Cold Days to preserve the resulting awesomeness.

Also also, is that a gun in his hand on the cover? That's... odd.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

26. - Top - End - #86

Why? Harry loves his revolver.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-08-17 at 08:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is anyone else unhappy about the less than puntastic title? I mean, it's not even Cold 'Daze' which is totally obvious.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #88

Better than "Winter Nights", the original working title. That would have just been confusing.

29. - Top - End - #89

Unless I'm very mistaken (and I can't check from here), he's holding a rifle, but no staff.

I assume Mab won't give him the time to make new foci, so he has to use bought weapons instead?

30. - Top - End - #90

Hm, it is a rifle. I hadn't looked at it yet, I assumed his .44 was the gun in question.