New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    He says that the laws only apply to humans, but then his next statement makes it sound like exactly the opposite is true. It's weird.
    I believe his point is that the Law makes the distinction between mind-controlling another human and binding non-humans with circles and such (in D&D terms, dominate person and suggestion are bad, geas and planar binding are fine), so he's saying "You know that only mind-controlling other humans breaks the Fourth Law, but even if the Law did apply to faeries, what I did wasn't mind control so it wouldn't matter anyway."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Harry actually says both, that the law only applies to humans and that he wasn't binding Toot-Toot. Here's the quote from the book:

He says that the laws only apply to humans, but then his next statement makes it sound like exactly the opposite is true. It's weird. Then during the fight with the demon he reinforces again that they don't only apply to humans:
    We know that Jim sometimes makes stuff up and changes stuff on the fly (see Ivy). This may be a case of that. However unlike in other instances there is nothing that really contradicts Harry's statement except in the same book. It's murky.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

So, chapter 2 is up now…

Spoiler
    Show
    Any guesses as to whose birthday party it is?
    It's possible that it could be Harry's, though that would mean it took approximately eight weeks to start remembering who he was after he initially came out of his coma. So the time frame feels a little wrong on that.

It would, however, account for Cat Sith's comment about how Harry "Cannot possibly be that stupid."

Celebrating birthdays strikes me as a very mortal thing to do. I don't think it would have the same meaning for one of the major fae.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-11-06 at 05:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Oh look, it's Cat Sėth.

That's... actually very cool.

My cat is called Cat Sėth.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

Got a link to that chapter? I can't find it on Butcher's site.

Edit: Wait, now I hvae it. It's not on the page of Cold Days, just on the main page.

Cat Sith is surprisingly helpful, for a Winter. Oh, he's casually threatening, and he refuses to follow the spirit of a command, but he's actually giving Dresden advice, voluntarily.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-11-06 at 10:09 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

On whose birthday it is:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's his own birthday. the other birthdays he wouldn't know without really forshadowing and the remark form Cat Sith is indicating that harry woudl be stupid. And no one would be stupid enough to ferget one's own birthday (except for harry who never really got round to celebrating it under justin and continued the tradition afterwards). Besides, he's the only mortal elft and the question is if you still celebrate your birthday when you are immortal (aka when age doesn't matter anyway or when you are too old to remember your age anyway).
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, wasn't this second chapter in the paperback version of Ghost Story? Because I swear I've read this before.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dante & Vergil View Post
    Wait, wasn't this second chapter in the paperback version of Ghost Story? Because I swear I've read this before.
    Yes, the first two chapters of Cold Days came out as an early-spoiler in paperback Ghost Story.

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    On whose birthday it is:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's his own birthday. the other birthdays he wouldn't know without really forshadowing and the remark form Cat Sith is indicating that harry woudl be stupid. And no one would be stupid enough to ferget one's own birthday (except for harry who never really got round to celebrating it under justin and continued the tradition afterwards). Besides, he's the only mortal elft and the question is if you still celebrate your birthday when you are immortal (aka when age doesn't matter anyway or when you are too old to remember your age anyway).
    And it's a hilarious opportunity for major complications involving faerie gifts.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And it's a hilarious opportunity for major complications involving faerie gifts.
    Again. Because the last time that happened it worked out so well.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Sith
    I am most often called Sith
    But... Sith is just the Scottish version of Sidhe/Sí (i.e. his name is "Fairy Cat", like Leanan Sidhe is "Fairy Lover", Banshee is "Fairy Woman", etc.), and he himself uses Sidhe as a general term about a minute later.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

I like to think that the binding of creatures of Faeries in the like through Names is, technically, a violation of the law against binding, but the spirit of the law was to prevent the binding of humans. It's enough for an overzealous zealot of a Warden to get you in trouble for, but otherwise it's hardly enforced, and if you don't establish any control, that Warden would have even less ground to stand on.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, so when you post about a chapter being up could you please link to it? The chapter is nowhere on Jim's website that I can find.
    I've read the first two though, so it's all good.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank God Jim said no more surprise children. If it were Mab's child's birthday I would be very sad.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    all part of the learning process i guess
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Ok, so when you post about a chapter being up could you please link to it? The chapter is nowhere on Jim's website that I can find.
    When you type in www.jim-butcher.com it's the first thing you see on the page. As such, I have to think that your search may have been rather less comprehensive than you claim.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

16. - Top - End - #226

Just got around to rereading Chapter Two from Jim's website (I have the Ghost Story paperback already, but didn't want to look for it) and am curious about something.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mab apparently sent Harry's mothers silver pentacle to a jeweler to have the ruby he got in Changes properly set into the thing, rather than just letting it be there with the hot glue. Do you think they were able to undo the damage to the pentacle itself from dealing with the loup-garou? Seems like that sort of thing would take nothing less than a faerie craftsman to take care of. It's also entirely probable I'm thinking too much about this.

17. - Top - End - #227

A little off topic here: how come I never see you guys on the DF forums? Do you go by different screen names?

18. - Top - End - #228

Not on there. The only other forum I post at is Spoony Experiment.

19. - Top - End - #229

I've posted on the DF forum once or twice, but why would we want to go there when we have a perfectly serviceable Dresden Files thread right here? Mostly I hang out around Roosterteeth, but there's a couple of threads like this one and the GG thread that make coming to GitP very worthwhile.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm on the forums as Mauve Shirt, but I don't go over there that often. When I do I hang out in the DF Spoilers subforum, where all of the most interesting threads are thousands of pages long and I can't contribute anything.

21. - Top - End - #231

I am very excited for this. I've loved all the Dresden Files and the potential for Harry is simply enormous.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

22. - Top - End - #232

Ok, so new question, is there any character that Harry knows that you think might secretly be part of the black council? Maybe all the crap that's gone wrong in Harry's life has made me paranoid for him, but there are several people I'm suspicious of.

I like Harry/Elaine as a couple. There's something about first love, it would be nice to see it win. On the other hand, I don't trust her. She was deep in that Aurora thing, and we know the summer lady was probably being manipulated by the black council. She's always lying to and tricking Harry when they meet up, and the last time she stopped the Skavis but got injured too much to be on hand to take on the black council agents (Vitto and Madrigal).

I've got the same suspicions of Ramirez. He's so powerful and so young and so much on Harry's side, but we know so little about him. He could easily be a traitor. Of course, if he was he could have knifed Harry in the back when they were riding that T-Rex and let Cowl win, but still.

Maybe the most wild of all, I've always been a little bit suspicious of Ebenezar. What if being the Blackstaff and going against the laws of magic really has corrupted him (even though there seem to be things in place to prevent that). Him being part of the black council would put a whole new spin on all the things he's done. Even creating the grey council. It could be a way of bringing together all the black council's most savvy enemies into one place. Then they could take them on or just reveal their existence to the white council, which, as Harry says at the end of Turn Coat, would make everyone think they were the black council and probably get them executed.

That's just a few. There's been times I've even thought that maybe Murphy, but no, that's probably too far. Harry is the only one who really knew from way back how capable Murphy was.

Anyway, paranoid? Maybe, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.

23. - Top - End - #233

Personally, I don't trust the Gatekeeper. Now, I don't think he'll actually be on the Black Council. He seems to be set up as a mysterious mentor figure for Harry.

My question is this. He seems to be connected to several of the laws of Magic. The Outer Gates - he's the Gatekeeper. There are some indications he has something to do with time travel or prophecy as well. The Outer Gates seem to have been breached, if someone's summoning outsiders. Why is no one the least bit suspicious about the Gatekeeper?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

I've heard the theory about Eb. I'm not sure what to think of it. I mean, we know his daughter was black council, and we know he seriously didn't like it.

Elaine I suspect is still on the side of the summer faeries. Since Titania is probably on the black council, Elaine could end up on the black council. She's also Outsiderbane, and if they can't have Harry they'd probably be happy to have Elaine.

Carlos? I doubt it. Too young, too anti-black-magic, too many chances to kill Harry and never did so. He didn't help Cowl when he attacked in White Night either.

Murphy is WAY far-fetched.

25. - Top - End - #235

If Cowl is on the Black Council. I sort of doubt it.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the black council is nothign more then supposed bad guys in an organised setting. The kemmler students do seem to fit that description. Now if they are part of the black council, or are the black council remains to be seen. for now I think it's interesting to see what happens.

On the note of (prominent) councilmembers belonging to the black council: I don't suspect Injun Joe, Ebenezer and the Gatekeeper. The rest is as suspect as anything IMO. I mean, if you can't trust the bureacrats naymore, the world really has gone to hell and even the grandmeister can be corrupted. (I'm lookign at you merlin who still after all this time doesn't trust Harry)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

27. - Top - End - #237

I think the Merlin is fine, more or less. Because Butcher does good twists, and the Merlin would be too obvious.

About the Kemmlerites and the Black Council: some of them are in it, if there is one, I agree. But they were fighting each other, and some were a lot, well, nicer than others. So, I think Cowl is okay. Unless I'm misremembering which one cowl was.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Of the Senior Council I'm most suspicious of Injun Joe. We only have "Ebenezar trusts him" as really vouching for him and a great reason for going off the well-intentioned-extremist end of the pool. Though we have no good reason to clear Martha Liberty or Ancient Mai. LaFortier is busy being dead with Simon RussianName. Cristos and Langtry go under "stupid is everywhere, everyday" though we really can't clear Cristos. The Gatekeeper is clearly the only guy with a brain and the only one on the Council playing the Real Game we're only starting to learn about.

However I think at this point I'd say Peabody strongly speaks against suspecting the Senior Council. You don't have the butler do it for there to still be the master under suspicion.

Also pretty evidently Grevane and Corpsetaker were not Black Council but very possibly had dealings with it. Just as Justin Cowl clearly is, also demonstrating the real name is the Circle.

I still kinda get the feeling Elaine is up to something, but only because she seems to be in some tragic heroine niche. Or just the Catwoman to Harry's Batman.

And unless Lara is playing both sides we've nobody else to be suspecting. I'm reasonably sure she will end up on the "good guys" probably by being the only one to successfully play the Black Council for some crucial info.

29. - Top - End - #239

I agree about Lara. Like Marcone Lara doesn't work for anyone but herself. Besides which, the black council (the circle) tried to decapitate the white court back in White Night. Cowl had Vitto and the super goblins (and a freaking Outsider) move to take them all out in one stroke. No reason to do that if the Circle was already secretly controlling the white court through Lara. That, of course, will make Lara and Marcone (and maybe even Nicodemus?) perfect allies for Harry if/when he has to move against the black council. They all have an interest in taking them out, and they're all too stubborn/full of themselves to be working for the secret group.
    Last edited by datalaughing; 2012-11-12 at 01:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be... disappointed... if Nicodemus ended up an actual ally. It would positively ruin his most repugnant douchery. I mean maybe do a quick "favor" or something that nominally counts as helping, but not in the end showing up for the side of Harry. Killed off before would be a good resolution perhaps.

Lara and Marcone are totally going to end winner by hitching themselves to the real winning side. I more then half expected Marcone to be a member of the Grey Council.