New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Buying The Adventure Game just for the art/jokes: worth it?

I've been looking at the possibility of purchasing the OOTS Adventure Game ever since I saw the picture of Sticky Shticks that Rich posted during the Kickstarter drive and some of them made me chuckle.

The thing is though: I've got absolutely no one to play the actual game with. Very few of my friends know English, and virtually nobody is interested in board games.

So the question is: how well does the rest of the game hold up, joke-wise? I understand it's probably just OOTSers behaving like themselves on various cards or what have you, but I'm still tempted to buy it, if only for a few chuckles.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Buying The Adventure Game just for the art/jokes: worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    I've been looking at the possibility of purchasing the OOTS Adventure Game ever since I saw the picture of Sticky Shticks that Rich posted during the Kickstarter drive and some of them made me chuckle.

So the question is: how well does the rest of the game hold up, joke-wise? I understand it's probably just OOTSers behaving like themselves on various cards or what have you, but I'm still tempted to buy it, if only for a few chuckles.
    If you appreciated the Sticky Shticks jokes, you'll certainly appreciate the hundreds of other jokes in the rest of the game. I think it's worth it.

I think the game would also make a good solo game, and while I haven't tried that yet, I hope to do so soon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I certainly chuckled enough reading the cards, and a few - like the "universal solvent" or haley's "hide" when she disguises herself as a potted plant - had me roll over on the floor with laughter.
    But I don't think it would have been worth the 80 euros it cost me between game and expedition costs if I couldn't also play it. my suggestion is that you try to interest your friends too oots, like I did.
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2013-01-31 at 03:35 PM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The rule book/comic is also hilarious in classic oots style. I don't really see how we can say if it is worth it though, as that depends a lot on your own finances and shipping expenses, customs, etc. All I can say is yes, there is a lot of humor to it, and it is known to make people who previously showed no interest in oots want to read the comic and become a fan and fall in love with Elan (hey, that's what happened to my wife when I got the game)
    Last edited by Shivore; 2013-02-01 at 10:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

The cards truly are hilarious. The quick start rulebook is also a hoot and a half, and worth reading even if you never play the game.
    That being said, you would have to be in a pretty good place financially to buy it just for reading the funny cards.
    I suppose you could buy it, laugh at it a few times, then donate it to a local youth club or something like that :)