Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 638
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    The maximum effective range against non-massed targets SHOULD be a couple hundred feet at most with maybe another few hundred feet against massed targets, but in D&D land sensible armies should open up at the maximum range they can get line of sight at and count on the odd 20 to actually hit.
    FWIW, Olympic/FITA competition archery takes place at ranges up to 90m (300 feet) with a target size of 122cm (4 ft). [British] Clout (Long range) archery takes place at a maximum range of 180 yards, with scoring being based on distance from a flag. It dates back to pre-Elizabethan times (at ranges up to 240 yards) when the long bow was a viable weapon of war, and was inherently designed to train for use against "massed targets" since that what sensible armies did.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Random thoughts, after reading ten pages of thread:

    According to Vaarsuvius's theory, Belkar's Favored Enemy is anyone he doesn't lust after.

    Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    However, Tarquin is guilty of certain crimes. If nothing else, he's plotting (and likely has committed) treason against the Empress of Blood, so there's a potential judge.
    Treason is a crime, defined by law. The technicalities of whether or not a given act is treason depend on the legal code - which Tarquin wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    Now, if Tarquin had some other significant card up his sleeve to play (blackmail, maybe)...
    He does. I don't know what it is, but I'm confident that Tarquin has something else up his sleeve.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harbajar View Post
    Now for V to *pop* out and Fireball...
    If V is within 40 feet of the Holy Word, s/he may not be casting very well at present.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I'd probably actually go for even shorter range than than, something like full effect up to 30' (sneak attack maximum range), and attack at a substantial penalty up to 100' or so (reasonable maximum for light skirmishers vs. other light skirmishers) and end up with 4th edition type ranges.
    Longbows aren't a D&D concept created for game balance. They are real bows that have real ranges. The range for an actual weapon should be looked up, not made up.

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Random thoughts, after reading ten pages of thread:

    According to Vaarsuvius's theory, Belkar's Favored Enemy is anyone he doesn't lust after.
    That doesn't mention anything about favored enemies, actually. (Also, I wouldn't take V's speculations in that strip to be anywhere near accurate, but YMMV.)
    Edit: There's an argument that if Belkar cannot differentiate between groups of beings beyond Hate or Lust, he must only have Favored Enemy: Hate; that may be what you're trying to go with? But even V mentions that's only categorizations for the purpose of emotions, not creature type. I'm pretty sure Belkar can tell the difference between a human and a goblin (though he may not care, that's an entirely different issue). Not to mention that it doesn't matter what differentiation Belkar can make; just because you're a blind ranger doesn't mean you get Favored Enemy: Everything I Attack.

    If V is within 40 feet of the Holy Word, s/he may not be casting very well at present.
    I doubt that V will play any part in this battle, tbh. (Not to mention the issue of line of effect/being able to hear the holy word.)

    Longbows aren't a D&D concept created for game balance. They are real bows that have real ranges. The range for an actual weapon should be looked up, not made up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Sorator; 2012-08-10 at 07:13 PM.
    LGBTitP

    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    I doubt that V will play any part in this battle, tbh. (Not to mention the issue of line of effect/being able to hear the holy word.)
    V was probably far enough away not to be hit, but close enough that V and Malack are about to duel on the other side of that steel door.

    Blackwing vs Qarr, Round 2
    Last edited by Smolder; 2012-08-10 at 07:24 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    I doubt that V will play any part in this battle, tbh. (Not to mention the issue of line of effect/being able to hear the holy word.)
    Why do people keep bringing this up? Holy Word's rules text is very explicit about ignoring line of sight and effecting people regardless of whether they are even aware of it happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Longbows aren't a D&D concept created for game balance. They are real bows that have real ranges. The range for an actual weapon should be looked up, not made up.
    Because, clearly, when making a game your concern should be if everything is historically precise and accurate, not whether the game is fun.
    Last edited by FujinAkari; 2012-08-10 at 07:28 PM.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    Except Durkon, who is standing as close to him as Nale is.
    Except Durkon was in the wall and could not see Kilkil. And Kilkil only spoke in conglomeration with the others. Perhaps Durkon could pick out Kilkil's voice among the others, perhaps not. So he isn't that likely to have recognized Kilkil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    Every time Miko smiles, an angel commits suicide.
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD!!! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE!!! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!!!

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Except Durkon was in the wall and could not see Kilkil. And Kilkil only spoke in conglomeration with the others. Perhaps Durkon could pick out Kilkil's voice among the others, perhaps not. So he isn't that likely to have recognized Kilkil.
    And Durkon is also affected by the smoke, so his visibility is low.

    I think that Kilkil was blown off-panel for a reason, or punchline, which has yet to be revealed.

    Maybe he's dead, but more likely paralyzed and lying in a corner. Banished is a remote possibility.

    But at least we now know Kilkil probably isn't some powerhouse in disguise.
    Last edited by Smolder; 2012-08-10 at 07:40 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    V was probably far enough away not to be hit, but close enough that V and Malack are about to duel on the other side of that steel door.

    Blackwing vs Qarr, Round 2
    Why would they duel? Qarr can become invisible, and can hide from V if he really wants, or if Malack bullies him into doing so. V and Malack have no problems with each other personally, and V isn't thinking clearly enough to be suspicious of Malack's presence. Malack, meanwhile, might want to use V to peg Nale while maintaining plausible deniablity for Tarquin as to his involvement.
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good...Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim. Too ugly or too this or too that....I'm out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world...no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Except Durkon was in the wall and could not see Kilkil. And Kilkil only spoke in conglomeration with the others. Perhaps Durkon could pick out Kilkil's voice among the others, perhaps not. So he isn't that likely to have recognized Kilkil.
    I was meaning in reference to identifying Tarquin based on his speech, rather than seeing Kilkil. I agree that he probably didn't see/hear the kobold well enough to identify him.

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Why do people keep bringing this up? Holy Word's rules text is very explicit about ignoring line of sight and effecting people regardless of whether they are even aware of it happening.
    As someone else pointed out earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Any nongood creature within the area that hears the holy word suffers the following ill effects.
    The part that applies regardless of hearing is the banishment, and that only because it explicitly says so:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Furthermore, if you are on your home plane when you cast this spell, nongood extraplanar creatures within the area are instantly banished back to their home planes. Creatures so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the holy word. The banishment effect allows a Will save (at a -4 penalty) to negate.
    Line of effect may or may not be needed, I honestly don't know that off the top of my head (Thanks Debatra!) Line of effect is needed, (and note I said line of effect, not sight), and hearing the word is also required to be killed/paralyzed/deafened/blinded.

    So you're right, it is quite explicit about targets needing to hear it in order to be affected in any way apart from being banished to their home plane.
    Last edited by Sorator; 2012-08-10 at 08:31 PM.
    LGBTitP

    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Area: Nongood creatures in a 40-ft.-radius spread centered on you
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.
    Line of sight not needed; line of effect needed.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    I can't post Tuesdays.

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Are demons immortal in D&D? If so then could Sabine expects to see Nale in the afterlife or plan on making him immortal? Forever seems an odd word to choose for a being who has watched generation after generation of people be born, grow old and die.

    Of course, I am probably reading too much into it, but that's what happens when you get a story in little bits at a time.

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Akritas View Post
    Are demons immortal in D&D? If so then could Sabine expects to see Nale in the afterlife or plan on making him immortal? Forever seems an odd word to choose for a being who has watched generation after generation of people be born, grow old and die.
    There's a LG afterlife where souls seem to exist eternally...or at least until they reach "true perfect enlightenment", whatever that means. The souls of the Dark One's army seem to be eternally sustained as well in their afterlife. It seems to me that, in the OOTS-verse, a mortal's soul lives eternally in whatever afterlife they end up in.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-08-10 at 09:24 PM.
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good...Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim. Too ugly or too this or too that....I'm out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world...no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    That I figured. What makes me curious is if Sabine can still be with Nale in whatever afterlife he ends up in, I wasn't really thinking in terms of Nale leaving his afterlife is be with her.

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Akritas View Post
    Are demons immortal in D&D? If so then could Sabine expects to see Nale in the afterlife or plan on making him immortal? Forever seems an odd word to choose for a being who has watched generation after generation of people be born, grow old and die.

    Of course, I am probably reading too much into it, but that's what happens when you get a story in little bits at a time.
    Now, I've never played a game of DnD in my life. However, I think I'm right when I say just like Celia, Sabine is an outsider. And we have confirmation from Celia here that outsiders can't be raised from the dead. And the srd20 website says it takes a spell like miracle or wish or something to bring an outsider back.

    So if demons are outsiders, which I think they are, then they are not immortal as they can be killed. They don't grow old and die, however. If Nale is Chaotic Evil and goes to that afterlife, then Sabine should be able to be with him there forever, assuming she isn't killed... and assuming Nale's soul isn't taken by Malack.
    Last edited by RustyVenture; 2012-08-10 at 10:22 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Akritas View Post
    Are demons immortal in D&D?
    Do they age or die of natural causes? No.

    Can they be killed? Ambiguous (see panel 11).
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Hmm, I'm starting to think that after tattling on Sabine, Qarr was given an order to eventually pit Nale against Sabine because she knows too much and her loyalty is questionable. It'd be fitting, too: She was sent to tap out his evil potential, and in doing so she made him Evil enough to kill the one person closest to him.
    THE SCRYING SENSOR AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Mongolian hordes. Lots of lots of mongolian hordes. With a mongolian warrior chief. They will conquer Gobbotopia and rename it as Mongolitopia. Because that makes so much sense.

    Also ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    Spoiler: NSFW
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Because, clearly, when making a game your concern should be if everything is historically precise and accurate, not whether the game is fun.
    Actually, your guess about my line of reasoning turns out to be completely inaccurate.

    In fact, I do not believe that fun requires ignorance of facts. I can actually have fun in a game which is well-informed and accurate. In fact, I have had fun playing D&D under rules that gave long ranges to longbows. Lots of people have enjoyed playing D&D under the current rules.

    So your accusation that I believe game design should not be concerned with fun is simply untrue.

    Wouldn't it have made more sense for you to ask for my motives, instead of making up a guess that is easy to disprove?

    If somebody wrote a game in which swords were used to wash dishes, longbows were used to clean floors, and dishcloths were weapons with 500 foot range, most people would consider that bad design, and would have less fun trying to understand the absurd rules.

    Nobody with any knowledge of dishcloths believes that they are weapons with a 500 foot range, and nobody with any knowledge of longbows believes that they have a short range.

    But I won't guess about your motives. Would you please explain why you believe that rules for long-range weapons indicate that the designers had no concern for "whether the game is fun"?

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Did Nale hear Sabine say she loves him forever?

    So Nale is completely deafened, and as Belkar confirmed, all they hear is "silence." So there's no way Nale could have heard Sabine if she audibly said "I love you" and "forever." However, the srd20 states that succubi have telepathy, so is it possible that Nale heard those last two things from Sabine? The text isn't in speech bubbles, but Sabine's mouth is open and the words are similar in design to the mummies' speech in the previous strips. I was wondering how others interpreted that?

    I just can't shake the feeling that this may be the last time they ever see each other, given Malack desire for Nale's soul.

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    If somebody wrote a game in which swords were used to wash dishes, longbows were used to clean floors, and dishcloths were weapons with 500 foot range, most people would consider that bad design, and would have less fun trying to understand the absurd rules.
    Jay R, Kingdom of Loathing. Kingdom of Loathing, Jay R.

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground
     
    turkishproverb's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under a 1st Ed AD&D DMG

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ghoul-n View Post
    So, Tarquin wasn't affected at all.
    How can you be so sure? So far he's only reacted to things likely visible.
    Avatar by Akirim.Elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

    OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Absolutely beautiful.
    And what's better, they found a way that deafening the little psychopath worked to everyone's advantage.
    Belarus can kill Nale in a magic less fight, right?

    Edit: will Tarquin kill Belkar to protect Nale?
    (personally I was hoping for an Elan vs Nale death match, where T had to intervene to save one at the cost of the other, but this would be cool, too
    Last edited by kickassfrog; 2012-08-11 at 12:44 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    How can you be so sure? So far he's only reacted to things likely visible.
    "Unless they're strong enough to resist, like I am"
    Seems unaffected, too


    Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    And Durkon is also affected by the smoke, so his visibility is low.

    I think that Kilkil was blown off-panel for a reason, or punchline, which has yet to be revealed.

    Maybe he's dead, but more likely paralyzed and lying in a corner. Banished is a remote possibility.

    But at least we now know Kilkil probably isn't some powerhouse in disguise.
    Unless, like Z, kilkil is custom build to be particularly good at dealing with one class. Say, dual wielding murderous halfling barbarian rangers.
    Doubtful, since his primary job probably gives a bad tax return or something as his most challenging problem, but you could see the irony.
    Last edited by kickassfrog; 2012-08-13 at 12:07 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Did Nale hear Sabine say she loves him forever?

    As one of the three permanent members of the Linear Guild, Sabine is an important villain, so I don't think its close enough to the end of the strip to kill her off. I think this will result in a sit-down with her higher ups, or Quarr's.
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground
     
    turkishproverb's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under a 1st Ed AD&D DMG

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kickassfrog View Post
    "Unless they're strong enough to resist, like I am"
    Seems unaffected, too
    My bad. Missed the obvious.
    Avatar by Akirim.Elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

    OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Chessgeek's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Guertana's Gallery
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Did Nale hear Sabine say she loves him forever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Umberhulk View Post
    As one of the three permanent members of the Linear Guild, Sabine is an important villain, so I don't think its close enough to the end of the strip to kill her off. I think this will result in a sit-down with her higher ups, or Quarr's.
    I don't think the question here is "will Sabine die?" Since she is A. already out of the battle without being killed, and B. involved in the still unexplored IIFC plot.
    But Nale on the other hand is looking like he's in pretty poor shape, getting wrecked by Belkar and all. If one of them goes down, it would still be the last time they saw each other.
    Anyway, as for the OP, I don't think we'll have a real chance to find out. Like I said before, I think Nale's going to die in the near future, and I doubt it would be brought up over that time. As always, only time will tell.
    Last edited by Chessgeek; 2012-08-11 at 01:06 AM.
    I'm a part of China: Teaching English Through Play! It's an incredible project; if you're interested in what the program is about please read about it on our website or check out the thread where I beg for help!
    Spoiler: Image
    Show
    "Charming her with the ukulele... I see you enjoy a challenge."
    My extended signature.

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    What does your humble opinion say about Belkar being level 16?

    (Twelfth level was a barbarian level; Belkar has had the experience point penalty--which is 20%, not 10%--ever since then.)
    Ghostwise halfling?

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    But I won't guess about your motives. Would you please explain why you believe that rules for long-range weapons indicate that the designers had no concern for "whether the game is fun"?
    Nope, because you are putting words in my mouth, and I have no desire to fill in the blanks for a strawman argument you are attempting to refute.

    My statement is and continues to be that the chief concern of game designers should be to make a balanced and fun game, not a historically accurate one. If the two are both possible, great. If not, I can tell you exactly how much sleep I will lose over the loss of the latter.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    But I won't guess about your motives. Would you please explain why you believe that rules for long-range weapons indicate that the designers had no concern for "whether the game is fun"?
    Nope, because I never said anything even remotely like that. I just noted that
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    They are real bows that have real ranges. The range for an actual weapon should be looked up, not made up.
    is the wrong way to go about game design.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ridureyu's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Actually, your guess about my line of reasoning turns out to be completely inaccurate.

    In fact, I do not believe that fun requires ignorance of facts. I can actually have fun in a game which is well-informed and accurate. In fact, I have had fun playing D&D under rules that gave long ranges to longbows. Lots of people have enjoyed playing D&D under the current rules.

    So your accusation that I believe game design should not be concerned with fun is simply untrue.

    Wouldn't it have made more sense for you to ask for my motives, instead of making up a guess that is easy to disprove?

    If somebody wrote a game in which swords were used to wash dishes, longbows were used to clean floors, and dishcloths were weapons with 500 foot range, most people would consider that bad design, and would have less fun trying to understand the absurd rules.

    Nobody with any knowledge of dishcloths believes that they are weapons with a 500 foot range, and nobody with any knowledge of longbows believes that they have a short range.

    But I won't guess about your motives. Would you please explain why you believe that rules for long-range weapons indicate that the designers had no concern for "whether the game is fun"?
    But I use swords to wash dishes all the time! Swords are my favorite dishwasher. I just swing and swing and swing and I never have to wash the dishes again!



    Yes, I came out of lurking just because that one phrase got me laughing so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

    I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Besides, a bow's maximum range in a hallway is much less than in an open battlefield... a longbow (and every other missile weapon) shoots parabolically, and its maximum-distance shot would look like a taller (thirty-to-forty-five-degree perhaps) arc.
    But in the stickverse, they go like laser-pointers. Fine with me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •