Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 638
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    If Belkar was hiding in the trapdoor and was affected by the Holy Word, where do you suppose the Order is keeping Mr. Scruffy? The cat has 4 1/2 HD at most, and that's instakill territory for Holy Word. Maybe he's with Elan.
    Where is Mr. Scruffy, you ask?
    Spoiler
    Show


    I would argue that a creature with animal intelligence would be unable to understand concepts of alignment and would therefore be unaffected by holy word.
    2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

    Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

    Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.


    And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Did Nale hear Sabine say she loves him forever?

    Sabine is a thoroughly house-ruled succubus. She has never demonstrated telepathy and there is not the slightest indication that her speech bubble represented anything other than speech when she was desperately trying to talk to Nale and he was bellowing, "WHAT?" just now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Nope, because I never said anything even remotely like that. I just noted that is the wrong way to go about game design.
    There is some indication that Rich disagrees.

    (Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails spoiler):
    Spoiler
    Show
    4ed-Haley commenting that someone needs to google "historical crossbow range," and Rich's title for that strip commenting that it was very quick for him to do so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Besides, a bow's maximum range in a hallway is much less than in an open battlefield... a longbow (and every other missile weapon) shoots parabolically, and its maximum-distance shot would look like a taller (thirty-to-forty-five-degree perhaps) arc.
    But in the stickverse, they go like laser-pointers. Fine with me.
    Not sure about the distances here, but as an archer i can say that in "normal" range a bow shoots pretty straight - of course, a maximum range shot will be parabolical, but i don't remember to see something in the comic where a max distance shot went along a straight line.

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unisus View Post
    Not sure about the distances here, but as an archer i can say that in "normal" range a bow shoots pretty straight - of course, a maximum range shot will be parabolical, but i don't remember to see something in the comic where a max distance shot went along a straight line.
    This good enough?
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "I'm the R to the E to the T-C-O-N, and I change the past so the now makes sense again. I'm Retconlicious!"
    Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels, doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles, wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings, these are a few are my favorite things.
    Humanized stick figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find the full set here.

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    But at least we now know Kilkil probably isn't some powerhouse in disguise.
    This has been a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    I was meaning in reference to identifying Tarquin based on his speech, rather than seeing Kilkil. I agree that he probably didn't see/hear the kobold well enough to identify him.
    Except Elan heard his dad speak, and didn't recognize him then. So most likely Durkon hasn't either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    Every time Miko smiles, an angel commits suicide.
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD!!! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE!!! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!!!

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground
     
    stsasser's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    But I use swords to wash dishes all the time! Swords are my favorite dishwasher. I just swing and swing and swing and I never have to wash the dishes again!



    Yes, I came out of lurking just because that one phrase got me laughing so hard.
    Changes the meaning of 'throw in the sponge', don't it?

    In fact, facts are overrated.

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Nope, because you are putting words in my mouth, and I have no desire to fill in the blanks for a strawman argument you are attempting to refute.

    My statement is and continues to be that the chief concern of game designers should be to make a balanced and fun game, not a historically accurate one. If the two are both possible, great. If not, I can tell you exactly how much sleep I will lose over the loss of the latter.
    The chief concern of game designers should be to make a fun game for all of their buyers, not to ignore many buyers because FujinAkari is the only one whose opinion matters.

    As long as there are gamers who know what longbows are and how they work, and who want to play a game with longbows that act like longbows, then a desire for a fun game includes some degree of historical accuracy.

    [And a new rule shortening the range of longbows, thereby reducing the abilities of Fighters and Rogues, but not casters, does not contribute to balance.]

    But my view of game design states that they should design for you just as much as for me. So I have to ask: why do you think a game with inaccurate longbows is more fun than one with accurate longbows?

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Ok, didn't remeber that one.

    But if Haley had a real longbow (i mean the 6-foot English longbow), that shot would have been a direct shot with only a slight bend downwards. With Haley's bow on the other hand - yes, she would have had to make a ballistic shot.

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Adeptus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Turku, Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    One of the most satisfying and funny OotS strips of all time
    Thinker, dreamer and adventurer

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    In a comic strip in which a straight line can represent all the bone structure, musculature, flesh, and clothing of a human arm or a leg, I don't think we can trust any analysis based on how a line is drawn.

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Gender
    Male

    Question Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Sofa!

    Nale should have cast Charm Person instead of Suggestion. Then Belkar would at least regard him as an ally.

    How is it that Z'zdtri can't cast spells while deafened, but Nale can?

    If Nale is deaf, how can he hear Belkar say "WHAT?"

    Why is a succubus, an ancient being of pure evil, in love with a mortal? Sabine is a shapeshifter, she only appears fair in form because she wants to.
    Even when you can't hear anything, the facial expression of someone who can't hear you is easy to read, and with the cue from Belkar's mouth movement it makes sense that Nale could piece together him saying "WHAT?"

    Why do you think Sabine is ancient? And think you not that love is also a villain's motivator, as with Darth Vader, Marcus Brutus, and numerous vampires? For indeed it is a valid emotion for evildoers.
    Every rose has its thorn, that's why I prefer daisies.

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The chief concern of game designers should be to make a fun game for all of their buyers, not to ignore many buyers because FujinAkari is the only one whose opinion matters.

    As long as there are gamers who know what longbows are and how they work, and who want to play a game with longbows that act like longbows, then a desire for a fun game includes some degree of historical accuracy.

    [And a new rule shortening the range of longbows, thereby reducing the abilities of Fighters and Rogues, but not casters, does not contribute to balance.]

    But my view of game design states that they should design for you just as much as for me. So I have to ask: why do you think a game with inaccurate longbows is more fun than one with accurate longbows?
    This is a baffling argument. "I like games with superheroes, and you like games with gunslingers. Game designers need to please all their customers, so games should have superheroes." Is that about right?

    Anyway, the "realism" argument was going on thirty years ago in the pages of Dragon, and it was just as pointless then. People wrote multi-page articles about falling damage and whether it should be calculated linearly or geometrically, then other people wrote multi-page rebuttals, and people wrote letters to the forum, and it went on forever.

    Here's the thing: D&D doesn't simulate reality. There are games that attempt that, and more power to 'em, but D&D was designed to simulate heroic pulp fantasy. That means that "Does this fit with the real world?" is a fundamentally misguided question — the question should be "Does this fit the tropes of heroic fantasy?" In heroic fantasy, heroes can fall from great heights, dragons can fly despite the square-cube law, and archers can shoot longbows at point-blank range. Why? Because it's cool, because Legolas could do it in the movies, because D&D is about imagining yourself performing impossible feats.

    If you prefer realism, feel free to house-rule it, or play a different system. But saying that a D&D rule is bad because it's unrealistic is as pointless as complaining about banking X-Wings in a Star Wars RPG or saying "Superman would've given Lois whiplash if he stopped her fall like that!" in a golden-age superhero RPG. It's not a question of realism; it's a question of genre.

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Finagle's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauscrypts View Post
    Why do you think Sabine is ancient?
    Spoiler
    Show
    In one of the books, it is stated that Sabine is over 2000 years old.


    And think you not that love is also a villain's motivator, as with Darth Vader, Marcus Brutus, and numerous vampires? For indeed it is a valid emotion for evildoers.
    Sure, obviously. Tarquin/Elan. Nobody's arguing that, least of all me. The question is why an ancient otherworldy being of evil falls in love with a puny mortal who's just going to die in another 50 years anyway, alignment issues aside.

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kickassfrog View Post
    Unless, like Z, kilkil is custom build tone particularly good at dealing with one class. Say, dual wielding murderous halfling barbarian rogues.
    Doubtful, since his primary job probably gives a bad tax return or something as his most challenging problem, but you could see the irony.
    Especially when Belkar effortlessly killed him, laughing, "Too bad for you I'm not a rogue!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrodoxin View Post
    Ghostwise halfling?
    That all depends on which is more likely. That Rich will want to make a joke about Belkar being an obscure subrace halfling. Or that Rich will want to make a joke about the multiclassing rules and Belkar being stupid.

    One of these looks way more likely than the other to me.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-08-11 at 12:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    If somebody wrote a game in which swords were used to wash dishes, longbows were used to clean floors, and dishcloths were weapons with 500 foot range, most people would consider that bad design, and would have less fun trying to understand the absurd rules.
    Sorry, but that sounds like an awesome game, and I would buy it immediately if it came out.

    For what it's worth, I don't think the previous poster was impugning your motives or saying that you didn't want to have fun. He was simply pointing out that in this instance, the desire for historical accuracy would necessarily make the game less fun. The same could be said about any damage model that wanted to realistically depict the way wounds affect people- if you used a realistic damage model, everyone in both parties would be incapacitated or dying within two rounds, and would need to rest for about a month to recover from their wounds, making rolls against infection every day. I doubt most people would find this realistic system as fun as the current one.

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Sure, obviously. Tarquin/Elan. Nobody's arguing that, least of all me. The question is why an ancient otherworldy being of evil falls in love with a puny mortal who's just going to die in another 50 years anyway, alignment issues aside.
    Love isn't reasonable.

    Besides, mortal souls in the OOTSworld afterlife seem to persist for an arbitrarily long amount of time.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-08-11 at 12:48 PM.
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "I'm the R to the E to the T-C-O-N, and I change the past so the now makes sense again. I'm Retconlicious!"
    Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels, doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles, wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings, these are a few are my favorite things.
    Humanized stick figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find the full set here.

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The chief concern of game designers should be to make a fun game for all of their buyers, not to ignore many buyers because FujinAkari is the only one whose opinion matters.
    I certainly never siad only my opinion mattered, and I have to question why you are making up completely implausible arguments and attempting to attribute them to me. I'll politely ask you to stop.

    As long as there are gamers who know what longbows are and how they work, and who want to play a game with longbows that act like longbows, then a desire for a fun game includes some degree of historical accuracy.

    [And a new rule shortening the range of longbows, thereby reducing the abilities of Fighters and Rogues, but not casters, does not contribute to balance.]

    But my view of game design states that they should design for you just as much as for me. So I have to ask: why do you think a game with inaccurate longbows is more fun than one with accurate longbows?
    And... none of this matters a whit to me. My comment has nothing to do with longbow range, historical accuracy, changes to existing rules, or the price of tea in china. My comment is about
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    They are real bows that have real ranges. The range for an actual weapon should be looked up, not made up.
    being the wrong way to go about game design. ((I do believe I've mentioned this before, but you keep trying to engage me in arguments which I'm not making, so apparently I need to re-iterate))

    Historical Accuracy is well and good, but should (nearly) never be the standard. The standard of a game is fun, and however you arrive at fun depends on your audience, theme, and setting. D&D represents a world of swords, sorcery, fantastical heroes, and mythic monsters. It is not attempting to be a realistic depiction of medieval combat, and therefore gamers who seek such systems are much better off looking for it in other games which do specialize in that.

    D&D needs to look at whether a given mechanic is fair within the system. If so, and that mechanic is historically accurate... well whoop-de-do. If not, then thats fine. D&D makes no promises towards historical accuracy, and so they simply need to focus on balance and enjoyability. Simply plugging in real numbers and letting the game be as broken as it falls because
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Real bows have real ranges. The range for an actual weapon should be looked up
    is absolutely atrocious game design.
    Last edited by FujinAkari; 2012-08-11 at 01:01 PM.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Sabine is a shapeshifter, she only appears fair in form because she wants to.
    In one of the bonus strips, a fiend she hasn't seen in 2000 years recognizes her, so I think it's safe to assume that the fiendish form we usually see her in is indeed her true form, or at least not a form she took on specifically for Nale.
    THE SCRYING SENSOR AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Mongolian hordes. Lots of lots of mongolian hordes. With a mongolian warrior chief. They will conquer Gobbotopia and rename it as Mongolitopia. Because that makes so much sense.

    Also ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    Spoiler: NSFW
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Probably should put this in the Belkar will die because... thread so I apologize but what about this hypothesis:

    Nale was successful in the Suggestion spell and that spell remains in effect after the deafness of the Holy Word spell wears off.

    Nale reissues the Kill the Dwarf command and now Belkar is forced into compliance.

    None of the OoTS know of this spell and think that it's just Belkar finally giving in to his Chaotic Evilness and they intercede on Durkon's behalf to keep him from getting dead.

    During that melee Durkon could be killed as could Belkar (heck, Malack could even show up and coup de grace Belkar for seeing him kill Durkon) but the OoTS would refuse to resurrect Belkar because he 'Finally showed his true colors' and none of the Linear Guild or anyone else would attempt to convince them otherwise.

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FujinAkari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by semi View Post
    Probably should put this in the Belkar will die because... thread so I apologize but what about this hypothesis:

    Nale was successful in the Suggestion spell and that spell remains in effect after the deafness of the Holy Word spell wears off.

    Nale reissues the Kill the Dwarf command and now Belkar is forced into compliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 SRD
    A language-dependent spell uses intelligible language as a medium for communication. If the target cannot understand or cannot hear what the caster of a language-dependant spell says the spell fails.
    The spell failed, since Belkar couldn't hear. Nale won't be able to simply re-issue the suggestion. I'd certainly presume that the swirly eyed-ness is for humor, not to suggest the suggestion somehow took hold, but not quite yet. Certainly possible, but I'm not betting on it :P
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

    English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Ach. Guess I was wrong in a couple of places. Here's Haley with an arcing shot: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0059.html

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    This has been a legitimate concern?



    Except Elan heard his dad speak, and didn't recognize him then. So most likely Durkon hasn't either.
    Listening is a Wisdom based skill. As Durkon is a middle-upper level cleric (WIS casting stat) with at least three (possibly four) level based stat adds and quite possibly magic items that augment his Wisdom further, I would guess that Durkon has an extra +6 or +7 on his Listen roll as opposed to Elan (who probably has a Wisdom no higher than 8 from observation over the years). Also, Elan only heard that one sentence at close range while Durkon heard several in a short period. This all assumes that neither man invested skill points in Listen--a reasonable assumption also based on observation.

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    rewinn's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Love isn't reasonable.

    Besides, mortal souls in the OOTSworld afterlife seem to persist for an arbitrarily long amount of time.
    Yes, indeed. PLUS: literature is full of cases of immortals falling in love with mortals. Plot points and tragedy often ensues. Perhaps Nale/Sabine are just the starcrossed victims of a genre - kind of an evil Aragorn/Arwen thing!

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    Here's the thing: D&D doesn't simulate reality. There are games that attempt that, and more power to 'em, but D&D was designed to simulate heroic pulp fantasy. That means that "Does this fit with the real world?" is a fundamentally misguided question — the question should be "Does this fit the tropes of heroic fantasy?"
    Actually, the combat system of DnD was originally a minatures wargame system. TSR had a set of minatures rules for medieval warfare, and they got the idea to add fantasy elements, and the RPG as we know it was born. So originally, the combat system was supposed to simulate reality.

    Of course, we're a long way from original DnD at this point.

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Actually, the combat system of DnD was originally a minatures wargame system. TSR had a set of minatures rules for medieval warfare, and they got the idea to add fantasy elements, and the RPG as we know it was born. So originally, the combat system was supposed to simulate reality.
    The last sentence there seems a non-sequitur.

    Originally, the combat system was supposed to be a wargame, with perfectly balanced sides and considerably less concern with verisimilitude than modern D&D possesses. I wish you much luck finding a wargame that simulates reality, or tries to very hard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Actually, the combat system of DnD was originally a minatures wargame system. TSR had a set of minatures rules for medieval warfare, and they got the idea to add fantasy elements, and the RPG as we know it was born. So originally, the combat system was supposed to simulate reality.

    Of course, we're a long way from original DnD at this point.
    Yeah, Chainmail was a long way from trying to simulate reality at the time, though. IIRC, figures were healthy, wounded, or dead, and that was that, for instance. Magic spells were introduced to simulate artillery (fireball) and rifles (lightning bolt). The super-fiddly tabletop miniature simulations came later.

  28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Regarding the longbow discussion, can I just bring up the catgirl point once again? Just... just sayin'. (Also, remember that houserules are easy and almost painless to make, if it's really bothering you that much, Jay R.)

    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Except Elan heard his dad speak, and didn't recognize him then. So most likely Durkon hasn't either.
    Fair point. Though as others have said, Durkon's heard several lines instead of just one, and lines that are... more displaying of personality than the one Elan heard, and Durkon likely has a higher Listen bonus anyway. So I'll still stick with Roy knowing who Tarquin is by the end of this current battle.
    LGBTitP

    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Did Nale hear Sabine say she loves him forever?

    While you're right that those last few lines were a bit odd, not having a speech bubble, considering that Nale didn't react in any way consistent with actually hearing them, I think that was just a side effect of Sabine being forcibly banished from the Material Plane.
    LGBTitP

    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

    Jay R is not the one who objected to the existing D&D rules. Although he might, the current argument started with him making this post in reply to this post. His objection was to Doug Lampert's proposed house rules; he has not to my knowledge expressed an opinion on the D&D rules.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •