New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    Tarquin would simply view that as abusing a "flawed" legal system.

Or it could just be that Rich hadn't decided on the characterization of someone who wasn't going to show up for another, what, 600 strips? 650?
    I think his first appearance is:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0722.html

So, that'd be 672 strips.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul-n View Post
    Btw.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

According to this, Tarquin dumps his wife 'on the grounds on Irreconcilable Alignment Differences'.

Double standarts much, or a bit of character development maybe :D?
    Tarquin didn't say that--his lawyer did, so neither.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Pixie in the Playground

And if what Tarquin says is true that flashback scene is false. Elan's mother was the one to initiate the divorce according to Tarquin.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    I just noticed that each of the strips in this ambush showcase a different member of the order doing something awesome. So I'd guess we got Roy Elan and V left.
    Though Roy's Moment of Awesome may just be the plan itself, and who knows at this point if V will even be involved in this battle.

Quote Originally Posted by kickassfrog View Post
    How much damage has Nale taken from the trap + the arrows + Belkar?
    Hard to say. Do note that Haley is not getting sneak attack dice on her arrows, though, so they are probably just 1d8 bow damage + 1d6 cold damage each.

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Tarquin didn't say that--his lawyer did, so neither.
    Exactly. And even if you aren't looking at an absolute Good vs Evil chart, you can still see that Tarquin and Elan's mother are on completely opposite ends, so it wouldn't really even require him compromising his beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    And if what Tarquin says is true...
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... *ahem*
    ...that flashback scene is false. Elan's mother was the one to initiate the divorce according to Tarquin.
    Fair point. But yeah, I really wouldn't put too much stock in Tarquin being completely honest on any issue, especially this one.
    Last edited by Sorator; 2012-08-13 at 08:13 PM.
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    Fair point. But yeah, I really wouldn't put too much stock in Tarquin being completely honest on any issue, especially this one.
    Well since it's Nale recounting the flashback, technically it's Nale claiming Tarquin's lawyer said it, and I wouldn't put much stock on him being honest about it either.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Well since it's Nale recounting the flashback, technically it's Nale claiming Tarquin's lawyer said it, and I wouldn't put much stock on him being honest about it either.
    Of course, more likely than either possibility is that Rich chose the chance for a throwaway legal joke over consistency with a storyline he hadn't yet invented.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2012-08-13 at 08:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    And if what Tarquin says is true that flashback scene is false. Elan's mother was the one to initiate the divorce according to Tarquin.
    Not necessarily. What Tarquin says is that Elan's mother asked him to leave. The court room scene shows us that Tarquin sued for divorce. It's entirely conceivable that Elan's mother just asked Tarquin to leave. Tarquin decided that their split needed to be properly and legally carried out, because, hello, Lawful. This prompted him to sue for divorce, a formality that his Chaotic wife didn't care enough about to initiate.

Edit: In fact, Tarquin states that he's the one that took her to court (although over visitation rights) so it seems entirely plausible that this is what happened.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-08-13 at 09:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

And once again we see that Roy's Int score was not wasted. And we can see it all slipping away from Nale. Brilliant, Giant!
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    Not necessarily. What Tarquin says is that Elan's mother asked him to leave. The court room scene shows us that Tarquin sued for divorce. It's entirely conceivable that Elan's mother just asked Tarquin to leave. Tarquin decided that their split needed to be properly and legally carried out, because, hello, Lawful. This prompted him to sue for divorce, a formality that his Chaotic wife didn't care enough about to initiate.

Edit: In fact, Tarquin states that he's the one that took her to court (although over visitation rights) so it seems entirely plausible that this is what happened.
    Ah, very nicely done sir.
    LGBTitP

I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    I think his first appearance is:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0722.html

So, that'd be 672 strips.
    +
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html

My name is always coinciding with major plot developments. How about that?

So far so good, but I'm not sure what Roy or Elan can do at that range, though, besides commanding/supporting the ambush. So far they're the only ones not to pull something on the Guild personally. I wonder if that means the next strip(s) will be of V, and then we will cut back to the ambush which by then will be a streight up brawl.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kickassfrog View Post
    How much damage has Nale taken from the trap + the arrows + Belkar?
    OotS does not try to follow reasonable rules specific tallies on this topic, but I will indulge anyway.

I would expect Belkar to be dishing ~12 damage per hit. He looks like he connected 4 times.

IIRC that bow is a +3 frost burst bow. It might be Mighty (or Haley could have other boosts on her). I would guess d8 + d6 + 4 per hit (~12 damage). Two hits. (Note that she hit 2 of 4 times, which suggests Tarquin is right -- Haley can pinpoint the exact square based on hearing Nale trundle around loudly. Also a 4th iterative attack suggests she might be a 15th level Rogue. Or she is Hasted from a potion.)

The trap looks nasty (long red torso slash marks) and there are two hits. 20 points each maybe?

Total damage: 112?

Based on the fact Nale is not blind, he must be exactly one level higher than Durkon. If Nale has some booster spells up (very likely), I would expect him to have between 120 and 140 HP.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    ...Also a 4th iterative attack suggests she might be a 15th level Rogue...
    The thread on the subject says she's at least 15th level, yes (she has Improved Precise Shot).

Also, the bow is +5 icy burst, so you can bump that up a bit. Nice estimate, on the whole.
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #433
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Huh. I had my money on Tarquin getting at least deafened as well, but it looks like I was wrong. Belkar's Death From Above is a really nice touch too. Also, am I the only one who automatically plays sound effects in his head when reading OOTS? I could actually hear a low rumbling and a weird oscillation in Sabine's voice just before she got banished, and when in 859 Durkon cast Holy Word I heard an angelic choir ^^

Should I get myself checked by a trained professional? :D

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you're hearing the characters in the first place, it's perfectly normal to hear sound effects.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow, I haven't legitimately laughed out loud at a strip for a couple of years now, but the "I think they casted a silence spell" had me going pretty hard. Then I got to the "It's not a bug" line, and I lost it again.

16. - Top - End - #436

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    OotS does not try to follow reasonable rules specific tallies on this topic, but I will indulge anyway.

I would expect Belkar to be dishing ~12 damage per hit. He looks like he connected 4 times.
    There are two more 'slash' sound effects in the final panel, which I believe are Belkar's. Also, does anyone else thing the "SCHLRKT!" on the first hit could indicate a critical?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One thing I haven't seen pointed out in the many pages of this thread: Panel 4, Durkon blocking T's axe attack. The smoke is helping I'm sure, but people underestimate Durkon's melee capability all the time. There should be plenty of time for Roy and Elan to get into the fray before we have to worry about our stout friend.

18. - Top - End - #438

Quote Originally Posted by Kenage View Post
    One thing I haven't seen pointed out in the many pages of this thread: Panel 4, Durkon blocking T's axe attack. The smoke is helping I'm sure, but people underestimate Durkon's melee capability all the time. There should be plenty of time for Roy and Elan to get into the fray before we have to worry about our stout friend.
    Well, Tarquin isn't trying to kill Durkon either. He promised or gave his word to Malack that he wouldn't kill the dwarf.

19. - Top - End - #439

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    There are two more 'slash' sound effects in the final panel, which I believe are Belkar's. Also, does anyone else thing the "SCHLRKT!" on the first hit could indicate a critical?
    I think more likely it's the sound of a stab rather than a slash.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kenage View Post
    Yes, as a "sword & board" plate armored cleric, with many excellent defensive boosts available, he could last a very long time soloing against Tarquin. Durkon is in no danger unless the LG can team up on him for multiple rounds. In fact, he could easily outlast Roy in a similar situation, even if Roy vs. Tarquin is probably closer to a fair fight.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I dunno if anyone already mentioned this, (I was going to read through the thread to check, but...15? pages) but as far as what Elan is going to do, what about his secret plan to beat Tarquin? Which, incidentally, involved a certain Dwarf Cleric currently involved in combat with Tarquin? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html

Anyway, great comic. Cracked up at Belkar's "WHAT!?"

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailowynn View Post
    I dunno if anyone already mentioned this, (I was going to read through the thread to check, but...15? pages) but as far as what Elan is going to do, what about his secret plan to beat Tarquin? Which, incidentally, involved a certain Dwarf Cleric currently involved in combat with Tarquin? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html

Anyway, great comic. Cracked up at Belkar's "WHAT!?"
    This relies on both Elan and Durkon being aware that this is Tarquin, which has not been established. All they know is that it's some guy pretending to be Thog.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #443
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Excellent strip, as usual; some general thoughts on the discussions thus far:

-I think Durkon will be able to hold his own against Tarquin. First of all, because Tarquin promised not to kill Durkon, and second of all, because Durkon is clearly skilled at defense. He is wearing full plate, carrying a shield (which is likely a heavy shield), and given the amount of planning and preparation that went into the counter-attack, Durkon has some buffs up.
    In addition, I think he'll pull out Thor's Might if he gets swarmed or overwhelmed.
    So all in all, Tarquin has his work cut out for him - especially if Roy flanks him. Despite his high level, Tarquin will probably take a fair amount of damage from coordinated attacks by the two most martial characters of OOTS.

-As for what happens next, I see one of two things happening: First, the Order totally and completely crushes the LG, and Elan pulls out his secret plan to take down Tarquin.
    Or second, everything seems to be going as planned, until Tarquin or Malack pull a fast one, and lay shame to the OOTS once more.

Thoughts?
    Abed is Batman now.

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by weirdowonder View Post
    -As for what happens next, I see one of two things happening: First, the Order totally and completely crushes the LG, and Elan pulls out his secret plan to take down Tarquin.
    The first part of this could work, but the second would depend entirely on whether the Order knows that it's Tarquin - which they haven't shown any indication of, so far.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Sorry if this has already been covered,but isn't the suggestion spell also an audible spell? How did the dark elf get fizzled and Nale didn't?

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnis View Post
    Sorry if this has already been covered,but isn't the suggestion spell also an audible spell? How did the dark elf get fizzled and Nale didn't?
    There's only a 20% chance of spell failure if you're deaf - and even then, that only applies to spells with verbal components. As someone else here put it, Nale's dice simply liked him more than Zz'dtri's dice liked him. For all we know, in the next comic Zz'dtri could succeed on a spell and Nale will fail his next spell. Or both will fail. Or succeed.
    Last edited by Emperordaniel; 2012-08-15 at 04:09 AM.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by weirdowonder View Post
    Or second, everything seems to be going as planned, until Tarquin or Malack pull a fast one, and lay shame to the OOTS once more.
    You forgot option 3: Xykon arrives and curbstomps everyone...

28. - Top - End - #448

ClericGirl

Tarquin and Malack drive the Order back, but not before Belkar knocks Nale into the negatives. Tarquin orders Malack to heal his son, Malack agrees and...

"Inflict Critical Wounds"

29. - Top - End - #449

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You forgot option 3: Xykon arrives and curbstomps everyone...
    Option 4: The Order's incompetent liability, V, reappears and screws up the plan.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Option 4: The Order's incompetent liability, V, reappears and screws up the plan.
    That is the possibility. The prophecy also mention that Durkon will comeback to his home if he died, which means Durkon will die from V's incompetence.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3