New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    And so we once again see a return of spells not affecting Belkar! Oh, and Nale is stupid.

Well in Greek/Roman mythology gods fell in love with mortals all the time. Of course, I don't actually think Sabine has any feelings for Nale at all, she's probably just using him for the benefit of the IFCC.
    Nah, she truly loves him.
    This was also covered in this strip

I have a feeling that both that strip and this one foreshadow trouble for Sabine - a conflict of interest between the plans of her employers and the continued well-being beau.

All numbers are grammatically correct

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Its not a bug its a feature -- very nice.

Oh and this confirms that Belkar and Durkon are the exact same level as is Nale meaning Elan is probably the same level or less also.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Why does everyone think that their is gonna be an epic fight to the death. Personally I think Tarquin will attempt allly with the OOTS (possibly after Nale has been knocked unconcious) as it's his best chance of winning (he won't have forgotton xykon, he's far too savvy to forget that and this shows he knows he exists). So my prediction will be a couple of rounds of fighting, Tarquin being unveiled, followed by (In no particular order) Team Evil, The Free city of doom resistance, Haley's father and friends, V discovering the gate and being taken over by IFCC, Gobbtopia trying to subvert Redcloak and steal the gate for themselves, some paladins come to help, and Tarquin's backup force with which he intends to overcome everyone and win.

4. - Top - End - #124

Actually, iBear, I feel the Linear Guild is going to be scattered and mostly broken.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the Linear Guild were at full strength, there's a chance they could unite with the Order against Xykon. This isn't a victory — this is attacking potential allies the Order might soon need.

Even if nobody is killed per se, these are spells and hit points which are being wasted on lesser battles.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Hah! Classic Belkar.

Also, I know that Nale hasn't got what you would call the best success rate, but he seems to have lost that needlessly complicated flare that defined all of his previous attacks. He was never one for plowing in heedless before. Or is it that he's just standing next to his more experienced father?
    Last edited by Cynric; 2012-08-09 at 05:10 PM.
    Check out my Order of the Stick tribute art at:

http://afreon.deviantart.com/

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Good to see that OOTS actually has the advantage for once, and is doing a good job at maintaining it.

7. - Top - End - #127

SamuraiGuy

Why does everyone think that their is gonna be an epic fight to the death. Personally I think Tarquin will attempt allly with the OOTS (possibly after Nale has been knocked unconcious) as it's his best chance of winning (he won't have forgotton xykon, he's far too savvy to forget that and this shows he knows he exists). So my prediction will be a couple of rounds of fighting, Tarquin being unveiled, followed by (In no particular order) Team Evil, The Free city of doom resistance, Haley's father and friends, V discovering the gate and being taken over by IFCC, Gobbtopia trying to subvert Redcloak and steal the gate for themselves, some paladins come to help, and Tarquin's backup force with which he intends to overcome everyone and win.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyger View Post
    Suggestion is Language-Dependent, and "
    A language-dependent spell uses intelligible language as a medium for communication. If the target cannot understand or cannot hear what the caster of a language-dependant spell says the spell fails."
    Then I'm confused ... Does that make Belkar's swirling eyes an art error / OotS-specific rule? It pretty clearly looks like the spell succeeded, but after it took effect, Belkar's deafness prevented him from hearing the instruction.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I wish V was around to see this. V will never believe the Order worked together this effectively!

I wonder which plane Sabine and Nale will be on when they next meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Oh wow, that was a fun read. A few more pages of this and people will start whining how the Order never loses and how they should get to the plot already.
    I lol'd.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Good gods, that was satisfying. Completely worth the buildup.

I also love how Belkar is shouting at Roy that he thinks he's been silenced.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Shreav View Post
    It pretty clearly looks like the spell succeeded, but after it took effect, Belkar's deafness prevented him from hearing the instruction.
    That's how I read it.

I anticipate that at some point in the future, when Belkar's deafness wears off, Nale may accidentally issue a spoken suggestion that Belkar will then obey...
    Last edited by Fish; 2012-08-09 at 05:41 PM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

At first I thought that Belkar couldn't hear Nale because Nale was affected by Holy Word. Then I realized that Belkar couldn't hear at all. And that makes this strip truly awesome.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I think Roy just hit Epic level with this plan.
    I don't know. I'm not so sure Roy's plan is really that good of one. Hopefully he's got somthing else up his sleeve, because as it stands right now it seems like he's shot his bolt and all he's accomplished is to take out the weakest members of the LG at the cost of leaving his own people scattered and vulnerable. His plan hasn't even scratched any of the LG's heavy hitters. Haley is out of position for sneak attacking. Durkon is engaged in melee one on one with a fighter who was previously able to best the entire Order. And Belkar wasted his part of the ambush on the relatively minor threat of Nale, instead of going after the much more dangerous Malack or Z. If Z was paying attention in his last fight with V, and if he has Dominate Person, then this fight could turn real ugly real fast for the Order with a dominated Belkar switching sides. But even if Z doesn't have access to Enchantment, he's still a wizard who is easily a match for V (considered the most powerful of the Order), who has an 80% chance of having his spells fly true. Failing to take Z down in the first round or even put him under threat of attack is a major flaw in Roy's plan, that will likely prove very costly to the Order.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

At first I thought Sabine saying not to trust any of them referred to Tarquin and Zz'dtri, but I think I get it now. She mostly means Tarquin and Qarr, I figure. He has no reason to ever trust Malack, of course.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

BWAHAHAHAHHA

It's a feature...
    Disciple Primus of Belkar, The Redeemer.
    Church of Banjo (Orthodox)

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Shreav View Post
    Then I'm confused ... Does that make Belkar's swirling eyes an art error / OotS-specific rule? It pretty clearly looks like the spell succeeded, but after it took effect, Belkar's deafness prevented him from hearing the instruction.
    It's possible the Rich forgot about the language-dependent rule, but I'd say it's more likely he just went for the more humorous interpretation of the rules- the magic still "works" in that it makes the subject amenable to his suggestion, but it has no effect because the actual suggestion is never heard. In effect, it's just a flavorful interpretation of the rules text, based on the way spells are shown to work in the OoTS-verse; shouting the word "suggestion" still activates the magic, the same way that shouting "fireball" activates that magic, but because the actual suggestion is never heard, nothing really happens.

Now, it would be more of a house-ruling than a flavor thing if Nale could still activate that spell later, after Belkar regains his hearing. And we can't rule it out, but as always the Rich will let humor dictate the rules, not the other way around.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

I nearly died when Belkar was deaf, the suggestion spell worked but it is like V and the Young Black Dragon. If they can't understand you then it won't work. But still I was laughing so hard at the last few panels. Like we all assumed Tarkin wasn't effected

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I wonder if this is the end for Belkar, he along with Durkon are isolated from the rest of the order facing a fighter who has in the recent past fought them to a standstill alone.

Not sure how we are going with regards to the year end for Belkars prophecy.

Also wondering if V might turn up deafened from the HW.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh wow, did something actually go right?

Their ambush is going well. So that must mean...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

My theories.

Elan is going to show up to interact with Malack and the imp, impersonating Nale.

Z was blinded which is why hes trying to gust of wind, no one else seems to have an issue with the smoke. He might not know hes blind yet.

Sabine only has a school girl infatuation with Nale. "Love" can be totally self centered. Her demonic version is nothing but a complete bastardization of true, self sacrificing love. Until she proves otherwise, I can't accept that a being of evil and chaos is more complex. It work well, great even with material plane foes such a goblins. Demons, they are literally the embodiment of evil traits. Creations. Abominations and constructs. No different than the undead in that regard.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Brilliant duplicate effect, I had to go look up Holy Word after the last comic. I never anticipated the effect on the Belkstar.

I LOL'ed. At Work. Then tried to explain to a customer. Who also LOL'ed.

Thank you for the joy.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

This is so much awesomage in one strip.

And for the Nale hp discussion he could have taken a prc advancind caster and rogue lvls or caster and fighter lvls.

Ow Giant thanks for these amazing last few comics!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snurk View Post
    And for the Nale hp discussion he could have taken a prc advancind caster and rogue lvls or caster and fighter lvls.
    No, unless he was lying to his brother without a reason to do so.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ReDragon View Post
    I wonder if this is the end for Belkar, he along with Durkon are isolated from the rest of the order facing a fighter who has in the recent past fought them to a standstill alone.

Not sure how we are going with regards to the year end for Belkars prophecy.

Also wondering if V might turn up deafened from the HW.
    This is, thus far, a direct result of the ambush Roy planned. Why would you think that Roy planned to have Durkon and Belkar end up in a situation where they would die easily?

Belkar and Durkon will die at some point, but it won't be here and now.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

I love Roy.
    “But he had not that supreme gift of the artist, the knowledge of when to stop.”

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder” in The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So, Belkar is also affected by Holy Word for obvious reasons, and yet no one predicted this? Definitely the Giant's quality!

Looking back at the previous strip, I've noticed that all of the characters were portrayed to be affected by Holy Word in sequences of 3 consecutive afterimages, and their expression changed gradually.

Sabine's expression turned to suffering on the second sequence, and she was banished. Both Nale and Z's expressions turned to bewilderment at the second sequence and then turned to suffering at the third. Both of them are now deaf. There's not even a need to mention Tarquin.

However, what I'm pondering now is Kilkil's expression. It turned to bewilderment at the second sequence, but stayed the same for the third one. If previous relation applies, then I believe our flying Kobold is still in battle condition.

So, assuming that Kilkil is not affected by Durkon's magic, could anyone speculate his level?
    Last edited by M.A.D; 2012-08-09 at 07:19 PM.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    That's how I read it.

I anticipate that at some point in the future, when Belkar's deafness wears off, Nale may accidentally issue a spoken suggestion that Belkar will then obey...
    Like..."FML!" ?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    However, what I'm pondering now is Kilkil's expression. It turned to bewilderment at the second sequence, but stayed the same for the third one. If previous relation applies, then I believe our flying Kobold is still in battle condition.
    His body almost makes a complete 180 as if he's falling over and his expression never changes throughout all 3. I think he's paralyzed.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Good to see the Order's plan continue to work out for the nonce.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Aaaand, Tarquin hold to it. Which means he is, at least, two levels over Durkon.

And, as a matter of fact, Belkar is not.