New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Dominion of the New World - A Mythic American Steampunk for Legend (WIP, PEAC

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Why don't we give them a hospitality tradition, where visitors would be given a hot meal and possibly a place to stay? That would lend itself well to an outside stereotype of "mean, wet place, nice, wet people" with the relative crudeness of the meal leading to the reputation of old-fashioned-ness.
    Sounds good.

Funny, I don't really like the Wolf Man version at all. It has fewer plot holes, yeah, but I'm not certain why a werewolf would bother with clothes at all, unless it was an uncontrolled transformation (as it so often is...). But as I recall, that's not what I originally pitched when I suggested them. Let me see if I can find the post.
    Yeah, alright. I always liked using the Wolf Man look just because no one else seems to. But the other way seems more realistic.

The American Being Human has very few changes from the original, mostly tweaking the strengths and weaknesses to a resembling-but-legally-distinctive version. It's supposedly worth a look as well, but I've never cared enough to read about it beyond the recaps on io9. Agreed in that one of those two should be the path our vamps take (and really, they are in fact very similar).
    But the BBC one was better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Dominion of the New World - A Mythic American Steampunk for Legend (WIP, PEAC

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Yeah, alright. I always liked using the Wolf Man look just because no one else seems to. But the other way seems more realistic.
    Of course, if we're going for realism, it would be better to just have something like this rather than something more badass. (In case you can't tell, we should cheat in favor of badass)

But the BBC one was better.
    Probably. I haven't really seen either one, so I can't comment. Just noting that there is, in fact, a difference in the way they each treat their vampires.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

OK! So we've got a little bit about the Basara, and we're having trouble settling on a visual representation of our Russian-esque werewolf mobsters. Here's an important question: should the mobsters be publicly werewolves? Or do you think that's something better left to the realm of rumors and secrets?
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

4. - Top - End - #34

PirateCaptain

If we go with secretly lycanthropic, it lets GMs hide the fact initially from their players, allowing them to pick a fight with the Mahigan Mob and get horribly mutilated drawn into a mystery.

I'd still prefer public werewolves. If their Old World culture was heavy into lycanthropy, then it would appear like a RL instance of a group holding onto old traditions. The general populace dislikes them because of their Lycanthropy ways at first, but by the time of the Post-Bellum Era they've integrated nicely and their ways are almost celebrated. There's even Lycanfest (Oktoberfest), where the Mob pays for a big communal party. The beer's cold, the werewolves are transformed (should be able to think/act human in animal form), but the meat's a little rare.

Plus, depending on how far potential GM's want to place their adventures forward in time from the setting standard, Werewolves might become the target of mid-Great War Teutophobia, and there's lots of stuff there that can be used (I personally always think "German" when I think of werewolf tails tales).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think they should keep it a secret. Let's be honest, the lupine form is their biggest ace-in-the-hole, which means that it's very unlikely they should advertise it. Of course, we can keep the communal Mob-paid party, and even keep the wolf theme, but realistically they would do their best to sell the illusion that the wolves and the people are two different things. There's even an easy justification for it: "the local lord in in the Old World killed or took all our hunting dogs, so we formed an understanding with local wolf packs so we could have something to eat besides table scraps."
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I like where you guys are headed. I totally support Ninja's perception of the Mahigan Mob as more German (that's always been my perception of werewolves too!), but I think I prefer to make the "worst kept secret" in the Dominion. In the same way that everybody knew that Al Capone was a mobster even though he was strictly a "legitimate business man," I think people in this mafia should be obviously werewolves, despite the fact that they take care never to transform in front of people. Maybe they all have huge mutton chops as a symbol of their membership?

At the table, this can come out in a few ways. I think my favorite, though, would be something like
    The man standing before you is immaculately dressed for a middle-class fellow. Several golden rings adorn his fingers, and he carries a cane crowned with a large, clear gem. Perhaps it's the thick, long sideburns he wears, or perhaps it's a the strange glint in his--yellow?--eyes, but the man gives off a almost feral aura despite the finery he wears.
    I think Landis is dead-on about the Lycanfest having to do with the mob's "veneration for local wildlife." Maybe "there were a lot of wolves" in the area when they arrived, and since then some people tell tales of large, humanoid wolves prowling about. What is perhaps strangest of all is that the wolves didn't migrate as the city grew, and now it is not uncommon to see a pack of wolves stalking down the distant end of an alley in this booming metropolis.

Whaddayathink?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But again, there's a difference between Capone the "legit business man" and Mahigan Mob leader the boss "man". The latter is, to my mind, a much higher caliber secret than Capone's, if only because being a werewolf gives your enemies the "they're unnatural!" defense, while the former only has the illegality of it all. Agreed in that tufts of it should poke through, but it should be a higher-strength masquerade than what you're suggesting, IMO.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

But again, there's a difference between Capone the "legit business man" and Mahigan Mob leader the boss "man". The latter is, to my mind, a much higher caliber secret than Capone's, if only because being a werewolf gives your enemies the "they're unnatural!" defense, while the former only has the illegality of it all. Agreed in that tufts of it should poke through, but it should be a higher-strength masquerade than what you're suggesting, IMO.
    I can respect that, and I think it's just a matter of how you spin it. For my money, I think the whole "Oh, well they're 'just businessmen' but everybody knows there's something...shall we say 'wolfish'?...about them," seems to blend really well with the kind of exaggerated stuff we've been coming up with so far. President Lincoln is hooked up to a gargantuan steam monstrosity, vampires run New Orleans, and the Mexicans are busy worshipping aliens as gods, so it doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. In fact, it seems like a pretty tall tale, which is exactly what I'm going for.

So. The Rectorum. What if we changed the name to the Enigmati? Too heavy-handed?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

9. - Top - End - #39

PirateCaptain

In fact, it seems like a pretty tall tail, which is exactly what I'm going for.
    Fixed that for you...

So. The Rectorum. What if we changed the name to the Enigmati? Too heavy-handed?
    I wonder whether or not a secret society would call itself a secret society, even amongst themselves. I would go with Custodes Fides, Latin for Guardians of the Truth/Faith/Honor/Trust. It sounds quite noble, as people who perform such duties will like to think of themselves. And it sounds a little like Semper Fidelis, the US Marine slogan.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can respect that, and I think it's just a matter of how you spin it. For my money, I think the whole "Oh, well they're 'just businessmen' but everybody knows there's something...shall we say 'wolfish'?...about them," seems to blend really well with the kind of exaggerated stuff we've been coming up with so far. President Lincoln is hooked up to a gargantuan steam monstrosity, vampires run New Orleans, and the Mexicans are busy worshipping aliens as gods, so it doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. In fact, it seems like a pretty tall tale, which is exactly what I'm going for.
    Sounds good to me.

vampires run New Orleans,
    Vampires are a minor faction, just one of many currently vying for control of Coterois. Remember the fish guys?

We have a name for them. The Excelsii. If you want me to dig out the post from the first thread, I'd be happy to do so.

Fixed that for you...
    nyeheh, nyehehe

I wonder whether or not a secret society would call itself a secret society, even amongst themselves. I would go with Custodes Fides, Latin for Guardians of the Truth/Faith/Honor/Trust. It sounds quite noble, as people who perform such duties will like to think of themselves. And it sounds a little like Semper Fidelis, the US Marine slogan.
    Again, we already have a name for them, but if they still needed a name, that would work well.

11. - Top - End - #41

PirateCaptain

Vampires are a minor faction, just one of many currently vying for control of Coterois. Remember the fish guys?
    I thought that the fish-guys (um, did they have a set name?) were an antagonistic bunch of Cosmic Horror Worshipers who dwelt beneath the water. Or that they were a mutant race that ran from building to building in the Underwater Biome portion of Coterois, asking residents very politely, "Would you like to read some literature? It's about the F'taghn."

We have a name for them. The Excelsii. If you want me to dig out the post from the first thread, I'd be happy to do so.
    I only posted another name because I thought Zap was still looking. Maybe he just missed the earlier post.

nyeheh, nyehehe
    It was a slow one over the plate! You have to swing at those!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Fixed that for you...
    Whew, thanks! I hate typos!

Right right. I was just being facetious.

Oh, right! Sorry, I had completely spaced. I like Ninja's idea that the group shouldn't have an ominous name, but I like Excelsii better than Ninja's suggestion. I really prefer to keep names as obvious as possible when it comes to pronunciation. I like the meaning behind Ninja's suggestion, but there are too many ways that I can see it being mispronounced.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

How many different ways to pronounce Latin are there? I always found it and it's entire language family (except French) incredibly easy to learn to pronounce. All pure vowels, and very few letters with double sounds, unlike in English.

Go Tigers!

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    All pure vowels, and very few letters with double sounds, unlike in English.
    It's not English's fault! His parents weren't related language groups. He's gotta make do with 2-3 vocabularies and he's already dropped his second-person pronouns! What more do you want?

@Zap: I'm okay with Excelsii. Actually, I had a question: How was Excelsii founded?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Ninja's idea that the group shouldn't have an ominous name, but I like Excelsii better than Ninja's suggestion. I really prefer to keep names as obvious as possible when it comes to pronunciation. I like the meaning behind Ninja's suggestion, but there are too many ways that I can see it being mispronounced.
    It's better than Hidden Secret Guys Club.

Am I right in thinking it's pronounced Eck-Sell-See-Eye?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    It's better than Hidden Secret Guys Club.

Am I right in thinking it's pronounced Eck-Sell-See-Eye?
    That's what I'm assuming, yeah.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Point by point!

Excelsii: I picture it being pronounced "Eck-Sell-See-Eye," yes.

Without dwelling too much on it, I personally find Latin pretty easy to pronounce as well, but I know there are people out there that struggle with it. I can't be there to tell everyone how something is pronounced, so I'd rather make it as easy as possible from the get-go.

As far as how they were founded, I imagine the story is that they have been around since before the people of the Dominion came to the New World. They have always had their fingers in the affairs of mankind, and at different times they have held goals that could be seen either as helpful or hurtful to the common man. That said, I don't think we have anything official. I'll see if I can get a write-up together by the weekend.

...But after all this has been said, I'm changing my mind. Hidden Secret Guys Club is what we have to go with. They only hold their meetings in backyard tree houses, and there are no. girls. allowed.

Fish'tagn folk
    The only thing I remember about these guys is that they exists, and I'm pretty sure they were supposed to fulfill some sort of boogeyman niche in the lives of the people of Coterois. Should we work on them next?

As far as a name is concerned, I'm not really sure. I'd like it to be nonsense words (like the Cthulhu language), but I don't think I want it to be such an obvious homage. Then again, maybe an obvious homage is exactly what would be appropriate. Thoughts?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

18. - Top - End - #48

PirateCaptain

Fish'tagn folk
    The only thing I remember about these guys is that they exists, and I'm pretty sure they were supposed to fulfill some sort of boogeyman niche in the lives of the people of Coterois. Should we work on them next?

As far as a name is concerned, I'm not really sure. I'd like it to be nonsense words (like the Cthulhu language), but I don't think I want it to be such an obvious homage. Then again, maybe an obvious homage is exactly what would be appropriate. Thoughts?
    Dude. Fish'tagn. Amirite?

Actually, perhaps we could give them a Cajun-style name? Like how Cajuns were Acadians (say it fast enough to see how) before, the Fish-folk could have been the Les Mejues, and post-transformation have become Mashar peoples?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

...But after all this has been said, I'm changing my mind. Hidden Secret Guys Club is what we have to go with. They only hold their meetings in backyard tree houses, and there are no. girls. allowed.
    I dunno if you ever watched the old Avatar series, but there's this thing where literally everyone who counts as a mentor is part of the same Order of the White Lotus. Would it be terrible to incorporate something about how in every town there's at least one kid who's part of the Hidden Secret Guys Club, a pan-global organization dedicated to messing with bugs and dropping wet things on girls?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

20. - Top - End - #50

PirateCaptain

I dunno if you ever watched the old Avatar series, but there's this thing where literally everyone who counts as a mentor is part of the same Order of the White Lotus. Would it be terrible to incorporate something about how in every town there's at least one kid who's part of the Hidden Secret Guys Club, a pan-global organization dedicated to messing with bugs and dropping wet things on girls?
    We shall know them by their traditional cow-lick hairstyles.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude. Fish'tagn. Amirite?

Actually, perhaps we could give them a Cajun-style name? Like how Cajuns were Acadians (say it fast enough to see how) before, the Fish-folk could have been the Les Mejues, and post-transformation have become Mashar peoples?
    I like it! Let's go with it.

Canon.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, What's next?

23. - Top - End - #53

PirateCaptain

So, What's next?
    How are we on the Natives out west? We've got Thunderbirds running around like dragons in standard D&D, but what else?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the western natives are a good place to go at the moment.

So far we've got:
    • Disenfranchised eastern natives. These guys either live in the remnants of the eastern wild or on the plains, and either way they're basically bandits/terrorists.
    • Cooperative plains natives. These guys form a kind of shipping guild to transport goods safely across the midwest. At least on the surface, they get along with the Dominion, and may even have representation in the governing body of the nation.
    • Aloof mountain natives. These guys are the last remnant of unsullied native culture. A couple of decades before the current time, the Dominion tried to move into the mountains, but were beaten back by the stalwart mountain natives. The Dominion learned its lesson, and now the mountain natives keep a watchful eye on their land.
    • Rebellious western natives. These guys are the north pacific-esque culture that has always fought internally, and is totally willing to keep fighting the Dominion. However, many tribes are also willing to accept Dominion aid to dominate their enemies.
    • Mysterious northern natives. These guys live up in Achalka. They're into heavy furs, axes, and sleds. I remember we talked about these guys being a "American Vikings" expy, but beyond that we don't have a lot of info. I think they ought to be a cross between vikings and inuit culture, with more of the latter than the former. Really naturalized.

First off, would you guys rather tackle these one at a time? Or would you rather we each take 1-2 and work on them at the same time?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

25. - Top - End - #55

PirateCaptain

Mysterious northern natives. These guys live up in Achalka. They're into heavy furs, axes, and sleds. I remember we talked about these guys being a "American Vikings" expy, but beyond that we don't have a lot of info. I think they ought to be a cross between vikings and inuit culture, with more of the latter than the former. Really naturalized.
    Behold the Ochean, the Snowmen, the Warriors of the Winter Realm. Hailing from Iscandialand in the Old World, the original Karls (Vikings) began settling the northern reaches of the New World (Frisgard) centuries before the Imperial precursors. Low on supplies in the strange environs, the Karls eventually were forced to accept aid from the local natives, the Ileutians. Intermingling between the two races picked up swiftly as the incredible steel-working and sailing traditions of the Karls made them invaluable companions to the Ileutians. They eventually merged their societies during a particularly harsh winter, where the greater technology of the Karls allowed for far more efficient whale-farming, creating a surplus of blubber and oils that allowed the two to survive.

The Ocheans make up a large portion of the natives in the north, though they are not alone. Smaller tribes co-exist alongside them, including Hyiput, Nsim and Koroku people. They make up nearly 60% of modern Achalkans. Their tribal symbol, the Larch Tree, is emblazoned on the national flag in bright red, a hint at the Karlic origins. The old Karlic Tartans were also continued through family lines, now become the most popular pattern of traditional clothing in Achalka (including kilts).

Ocheans appear very similar to other Natives, though with bright blonde hair and gray eyes. Their society is based closely off the sea. Whaling and fishing provide most people food in Achalka, and various byproducts of this create whole industries. They are culturally very easy-going, being the product of peaceful co-existence and trading. The prevailing philosophy of the Ochean seems to be "Live and let live". Because of this, they got along famously with the Old World settlers of Achalka and later the Imperials.

Ochean culture contains many traditions and stories. Their belief system is highly shamanistic, focusing on the oneness of the world and the idea of all things possessing a spirit. Some Karlic gods were maintained in this system, though more as names for the natural forces these deities once controlled. They also lack any sort of afterlife, and are fairly fond of magic.

Some monsters of the north include the Qualik (a hairy, green-skinned, long-nailed sea beast that would hunt along the shore for misbehaving children), a Tuurngaq (sometimes helpful, other times malevolent spirit), and Saumen-kar (huge, hairy men who prowl the wastes [bigfoot]).

Spoiler
    Show
    Names of monsters somewhat changed from the wiki page on Inuit mythology. Need better name for the Karls.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

So I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread yet, but this is looking pretty good so far, and it's always good to see people enjoying and doing work with Legend. I'll try to keep up with the thread, but if you have any mechanical questions/concerns/etc. while working on the setting, shoot me a PM or drop by the Legend IRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.