New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Banned

Default Re: Favourite Character Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I did like Therkla, but I agree that she was a pretty shallow character for the most part.
    "She had more character depth than YOU, you big meanie!"

Did you intend to abstain from versus Skullsy? It may be a foregone conclusion but still.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Vaarsuvius
    Soon Kim
    Therkla
    O-Chul
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    "She had more character depth than YOU, you big meanie!"

Did you intend to abstain from versus Skullsy? It may be a foregone conclusion but still.
    I don't like V enough to give him/her an extra vote s/he doesn't need, but I also don't like Skullsy enough nor am I hipster enough to vote for him just because he's the less popular choice.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Halfling in the Playground

V-Undead are just tools, tools to help popular characters advance to the next round more easily or (in Xykon's case) knock out a mildly popular character out of the tournament. This guy is in the first category. Also V is cool.

Soon Kim-He's cool, that knight's just a tool.

Therkla-Only because of more depth and story importance.

O-Chul-A real man gets my vote, not that cheap faux-punk whore.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vaarsuvius
    VS Skullsy

No contest here, surely; Skullsy is quite funny, but with V we get a few laughs and a lot of Meaty Character Development too.

Death Knight
    VS
    Soon Kim

Again, an easy one; Soon Kim's appearance with the Ghost Martyrs is still my favourite moment in the story. So far.

Therkla
    VS
    Yokyok

Emo ninja chick vs. the Linear Guild's Kobold of the Week. A pretty easy one for me; I'm looking forward to seeing the 'Backer's Choice' Therkla story.

Julia Greenhilt
    VS
    O-Chul

I'd quite like both of these characters to progress; I love the sibling interaction with Roy and Julia, and O-Chul's scenes with the monster in the darkness. O-Chul gets my vote for the "one saving throw at a time" line.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

6. - Top - End - #396

DwarfFighterGuy

What are the chances we wind up with an Elan vs. Tarquin matchup at some point? That would be epic.

Also, who do people think are going to be in the last set of round 1 match-ups? The only really major character I can think of who hasn't been up yet is Redcloak (and to some extent Kotuba), although I can think of a few minor characters that might show up (Windstriker, Dorukan, Lirian, Chuck (the arcane trickster), the Azure City High Priest, and Argent)
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-02-10 at 04:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    What are the chances we wind up with an Elan vs. Tarquin matchup at some point? That would be epic.

Also, who do people think are going to be in the last set of round 1 match-ups? The only really major character I can think of who hasn't been up yet is Redcloak (and to some extent Kotuba), although I can think of a few minor characters that might show up (Windstriker, Dorukan, Lirian, Chuck (the arcane trickster), the Azure City High Priest, and Argent)
    Don't think we've seen Thog yet.

Redcloak & Kubota, I'm sure you're right about.

As for the remaining five, I bet some of your other guesses will be right, too. And, maybe the Wight in Thanh's shoes? Maaaybe the Snarl? Though, the Snarl especially hasn't got much in the way of pull quotes.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-02-10 at 05:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398

Vaarsuvius
    Death Knight
    Therkla
    O'Chul

9. - Top - End - #399

Skullsy was funny but of course Vaarsuvius wins.

Soon Kim of course.

Yok Yok had Princess Bride references on his side, and Therkla was just kind of annoying.

O-Chul was a decent character. Julia, like Therkla, is annoying. Maybe I just don't like females.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

10. - Top - End - #400

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post

As for the remaining five, I bet some of your other guesses will be right, too. And, maybe the Wight in Thanh's shoes? Maaaybe the Snarl? Though, the Snarl especially hasn't got much in the way of pull quotes.
    Oh god, how could I forget about Thog! He's easily in my half dozen favorite characters in the whole strip!

11. - Top - End - #401

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post

Redcloak, Daimyo Kubota and Thog will be featuring in the last round.

Unfortunately, there will be no Dorukan and Lirian (only really involved in SoD, not as important as the Secret SoD character), Windstriker, the Snarl and Argent (animals who can't talk, and aren't Mr. Scruffy), and the Azure City High Priest, Booted Wight and Chuck (one-gag characters who didn't make it past the other one-gag characters who squeaked in to die out in the first round. Although looking back, those three could probably have made it over characters like the three spliced casters or the two resistance leaders.)

12. - Top - End - #402

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post

Unfortunately, there will be no Dorukan and Lirian (only really involved in SoD, not as important as the Secret SoD character), Windstriker, the Snarl and Argent (animals who can't talk, and aren't Mr. Scruffy), and the Azure City High Priest, Booted Wight and Chuck (one-gag characters who didn't make it past the other one-gag characters who squeaked in to die out in the first round. Although looking back, those three could probably have made it over characters like the three spliced casters or the two resistance leaders.)
    Dorukan and Lirian are probably more important to the plot, although they're less important to the development of one of the main characters

13. - Top - End - #403

That all makes perfect sense. Though, too bad Redcloak and the priest can't re-enact "THE ULTIMATE DUEL BETWEEN CLERICS!"

As long as we're playing the guessing game, maybe we'll go old school (and adolescent) with the zit-faced goblin or the young black dragon.

14. - Top - End - #404

ClericGirl

Little contest for anyone closely following the thread; there are eight contestants remaining.

Redcloak
    Thog
    Daimyo Kubota
    _____
    _____
    _____
    _____
    _____

Anyone who wants to play, fill in the remaining 5. Closest entry wins something. (Note: Closest entry will probably not win anything.)

15. - Top - End - #405

Guesses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yukyuk
    Colossal Fiend
    Zit Faced Goblin
    Young Black Dragon
    Gladiator captain ("Alright, you sons of whores!") I know he's a one-page wonder, but he's friggin' hilarious.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-02-11 at 03:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #406

DwarfFighterGuy

Little contest for anyone closely following the thread; there are eight contestants remaining.

Redcloak
    Thog
    Daimyo Kubota
    _____
    _____
    _____
    _____
    _____

Anyone who wants to play, fill in the remaining 5. Closest entry wins something. (Note: Closest entry will probably not win anything.)
    Well, considering the ones you ruled out, I'm gonna have to go with:

Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak
    Thog
    Daimyo Kubota
    Yukyuk
    Team Peregrine Leiutenant
    Isamu
    Amun-Zora
    shaman vurkle
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-02-11 at 09:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Young Black Dragon
    Yukyuk
    Crazy Arena Warden
    Amun Zora
    Pit Fiend
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Orc in the Playground

Unfortunately, there will be no Dorukan and Lirian (only really involved in SoD, not as important as the Secret SoD character)
    Awww, that's a shame. I like Dorukan and Lirian.

19. - Top - End - #409

Vaarsuvius, Soon, Therkla, O-Chul

This was mostly an easy one for me. V is a main character who's been quite interesting so far Soon is quite awesome- I love that quote, and he nearly killed Team Evil!

The third choice was the only tough one- I love both characters, but Princess Bride quotes aside, Therkla actually had a role in the story and boy, what a role that was... Plus she has a kickass headstone now

And, of course, the last one was a no-brainer...
    Last edited by LuPuWei; 2013-02-12 at 02:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410

ClericGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    5: Vaarsuvius - 29 - 90.63%
    VS
    Skullsy - 3 - 9.38%

Interesting tidbit; second most competitive PC match in the first round. Still not particularly competitive.

Death Knight - 9 - 27.27%
    VS
    Soon Kim - 24 - 72.73%

Soon Kim had one of the greatest strips in the comic. An army of ghost paladin martyrs? Awesome.

Therkla - 23 - 69.70%
    VS
    Yokyok - 10 - 30.30%

Yay, Therkla won. For a moment it looked like her hatedom + Princess Bride fans could put Yokyok over the line.

Julia Greenhilt - 2 - 6.06%
    VS
    O-Chul - 31 - 93.94%

No contest here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bird 4/5
    Adolescent Black Dragon
    Amun-Zora
    Pit Fiend
    Yukyuk

Zit-Faced Goblin

Procyonpi 2/5
    Amun-Zora
    Yukyuk

Isamu
    shaman vurkle
    Team Peregrine Lieutenant

2323mike 4/5
    Adolescent Black Dragon
    Amun-Zora
    Pit Fiend
    Yukyuk

Gladiator Warden

Characters I Now Wish I Had Included
    Azure High City Priest
    Booted Wight
    Gladiator Warden
    Zit-Faced Goblin

Redcloak: "If it's all the same to you, I'm going to try not to waste my breath trading threats with a dead man. Damn it, I just did it right there, didn't I? Screw it. Implosion."
    Team Peregrine Commander: "Wha- what's-"
    *SPPLRTCH!*

8: Redcloak
    VS
    Amun-Zora
    Amun-Zora: "Damn you! I told you last night and again when you summoned me to your bedchambers this morning: I am already married!!"
    Tarquin: "Yes, you mentioned that. To a pikeman on the... south wall, was it? I assure you that your marital status is no longer an obstacle as of around midday today. 'Til then did you part, it would seem."
    Amun-Zora: "BASTARD!"
    *SLASH!*

"Twelve Gods, woman! I mentored you in villainous Best Practices for years now, and you didn't even have the decency to betray me for a man who at least just PRETENDED to love you?"
    Daimyo Kubota
    VS
    Huecuva
    "I know I was ordered to withdraw, but I haven't gotten my Recommended Daily Value of dead heroes yet. A huecuva's gotta stay healthy, you know."

"Geez. What am I doing with my life? Taking orders from an imp? All the guys I went to high school with have gone on to be men of wealth and taste. Just leave me alone."
    Pit Fiend
    VS
    Adolescent Black Dragon
    Vaarsuvius: "The laws of probability dictate that you will fail a Will save before I run out of Suggestion spells. Suggestion!"
    Adolescent Black Dragon: "Clever. However, there's one number you've failed to include in your analysis." *swallows lizard!Vaarsuvius whole.* "Your hit point total."

"Lookee here. What's a nice kitty cat like you doin' in a place like this? Are you scared, little guy? Is that why you're hiding? You don't need to be scared, I'm a ranger. I love animals." *shoots Mr. Scruffy with a crossbow* "They make great entertainment, don't they, Sir Scraggly?"
    Yukyuk
    VS
    17: Thog
    "thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!"

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn, why'd you have to go and use my favorite Redcloak moment? Oh well, I'll still vote for Amun-Zora because the more people out there who want Tarquin dead, the better.

Kubota
    Pit Fiend
    thog
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Redcloak for being hardcore.

Daimyo Kubota for his moustache.

Pit Fiend for his luck with cards.

Thog for his smashing.

23. - Top - End - #413

Redcloak for being fascinating and generally awesome.

Huecuva for not being Kubota. Actually, I'm gonna change this vote. Kubota it is. I really dislike Kubota, but since that was literally his design intent, I think I'll vote for a character who accomplishes his narrative role perfectly.

Pit Fiend because, well, this one was close, and I ultimately just defaulted to the fact that I like Pit Fiends better in general (mostly due to Goblins' awesome Pit Fiend Not-Walter).

Thog because I had to check to see which of the kobolds Yukyuk actually was.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2013-02-13 at 09:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Colossus in the Playground

Amun-Zora, Kubota, Adoloscent Black Dragon, Thog.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Redcloak! The brains, the looks, the power!
    Meh.
    Pit Fiend.
    Poor guy deserves a break.
    Mog--I mean Thog
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Redcloak

Daimyo Kubota

Pit Fiend

Thog

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Redcloak

Daimyo Kubota, who is the very definition of "hateable in a good way".

The Pit Fiend, who had a couple funny bits of dialogue. While I kind of wanted to vote for the Young Black Dragon, the Ancient Black Dragon plot was partially effective because of how much the YBD had been forgotten, so...

thog. I doubt I'd vote for any of the interchangeable kobolds to begin with, and Yukyuk wasn't the most memorable of that group.

28. - Top - End - #418

Was the last vote still the first round?? Damn, I had more to say for O-Chul then... Ah well, next round. As for this round- all easy votes!

Redcloak - - Red-tribution!!!! Well, wrt the quote at least... not Amun-Zora...
    Daimyo Kubota Though his villainous career was prematurely ended by V, for the time he was with us, I really really hated him. Which means he was a great character for a villain. Well done, indeed...
    Pit Fiend - Though I feel sorry for the aBD, for the few lines he he had, the Pit Fiend was hilarious!
    Thog - Yukyuk was fun (while he lasted), but Thog... I still laugh out loud when I read his lines... - what is offal?

29. - Top - End - #419

Redcloak

Kubota, though I'm apathetic towards both the Daimyo and the Huecuva.

Pit Fiend by a nose because "Great, now I'm cursed."

Thog

30. - Top - End - #420
    Halfling in the Playground

Redcloak VS Amun-Zora

Redcloak is probably my favorite character in the comic. An intelligent antagonist who is willing to play second fiddle in order to achieve a long-term goal. Yet, he knows when to display some force when necessary (Tsukiko anyone?). Amun-Zora isn't bad, but there's absolutely no chance against Redcloak.

Daimyo Kubota VS Huecuva

As much as I cannot stand politics in real life, I love them in fictional settings. A political villain in a comic? Lots of fun, especially since they're so good at making a parody of the real ones.

Pit Fiend VS Adolescent Black Dragon

I have no favorite here, but since I already voted against the elder black dragon, I can't really vote for the younger one, can I?

Yukyuk VS Thog

This isn't even a fair fight, but I'll give Yukyuk a token vote, mainly because I think Thog is highly overrated. Sure, he's funny at times, but there are times when I find him annoying beyond belief.
    Administrator of the DnD gaming server, Sea of Dragons: Moonsea - a Persistent World set in the Forgotten Realms that uses the Neverwinter Nights 2 game.

See what the server has to offer without leaving these boards! Sea of Dragons on OOTS Forum