New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Favourite Character Tournament

Hmm, the first one is tough, but I think I'll go with Hinjo. A personable paladin is always welcome in my book.

The Ancient Black Dragon as my second choice. Her contribution to the plot was appreciated, and her demise was sufficiently ignominious to earn some sympathy, despite her questionable behaviour.

Finally, Geoff and The Empress of Blood can have my vote. No strong opinion on either of the four proposed characters, but those two had some funny lines.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

2. - Top - End - #902
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Shojo
    Ancient Black Dragon
    Who is a sexy shoeless god of war?

Yeah.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shojo for his performance art.

Blackwing for his saurian heritage.

Geoff for his dodging.

Empress of Blood for her defiance of the laws of physics.

4. - Top - End - #904

ClericGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    11: Hinjo - 11 - 25.00%
    Shojo - 33 - 75.00%

Ancient Black Dragon - 17 - 39.53%
    23: Blackwing - 26 - 60.47%

Zit-Faced Goblin - 15 - 44.12%
    Geoff - 19 - 55.88%

Yukyuk - 9 - 27.27%
    8: Empress of Blood - 24 - 72.73%

I agree with most of the choices this round, but I liked Zit-Faced Goblin... well, liked him more than Geoff anyway. Seriously, I don't even remember why I included the guy. Now I have to find some other time he's said a noteworthy sentence in the comic.

FCT
    Spoiler
    Show
    5: Vaarsuvius (29) d. Skullsy (3)
    Soon Kim (24) d. Death Knight (9)
    Therkla (23) d. Yokyok (10)
    20: O-Chul (31) d. Julia Greenhilt (2)

"I may be in error, but I believe the appropriate proclamation is, 'Sneak Attack, bitch."
    5: Vaarsuvius
    VS
    Soon Kim
    "Perhaps if you had more time... but then again, perhaps not. Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone."

"No thanks then... I'll take my chances that the Afterlife... won't have any punishment worse... than not being with you."
    Therkla
    VS
    20: O-Chul
    "Without your cowardly actions, I could not have gone where I needed to be, difficult though it was. However, should I learn of you treating any other person in this manner, I will gut you with my hands."

LC
    "Look on the bright side: You're mindless, good at hitting things, and you do what a wizard tells you to do. You're finally the perfect fighter!"
    2: Eugene Greenhilt
    VS
    Samantha's Dad
    "I would brag that I would allow any bandit that defeated me in solo combat to claim leadership of the camp. It seemed fair, you know? Imagine my embarrassment when my teenaged daughter whips my ass in front of the entire clan."

"Choose your doom, then, chicken-mage: Original Recipe, or Extra Crispy?"
    Death Knight
    VS
    Evisceratus
    "It's about time someone brought you to justice for your vile behavior."

5. - Top - End - #905
    Halfling in the Playground

Now it's getting tough.

It has to be Vaarsuvius, but only because Soon hasn't had enough screentime. I suspect that once his backstory is more fleshed out, he'll start deserving to win this one.

O-Chul. I like Therkla, I like her very much in fact, but she's just a little too much of a "suddenly stricken teenage girl in love" to beat the mighty O-Chul, toughest of us all.

Eugene Greenhilt. Samantha's Dad didn't do enough, but the "I challenge you for leadership of the bandits!" line was nice.

Death Knight. Nonentity versus nonentity. The Death Knight is slightly more of a character.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Vaarsuvius
    VS
    Soon Kim
    V is a great character, Interesting character development, lots of funnies. Soon is a memorable minor character, but is out of his league.

Therkla
    VS
    O-Chul
    Fan favorite Daddy Chul is gonna take this one.

Eugene Greenhilt
    VS
    Samantha's Dad
    I kinda liked the bandit side quest, and found Samantha's Dad memorable. Eugene is a little too one sided for me, though he does get in some good zingers on Roy.

Death Knight
    VS
    Evisceratus
    Minute characters, but at least evisceratus had a proper characterization before he died :P

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

Eugene
    Death Knight
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #908
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Vaarsuvius - Still my favourite character, and her story has taken some interesting turns.
    O-Chul -

-----
    Samantha's Dad - Just because I can't stand Eugene, dude's an ass.
    Death Knight - He had some great lines there.
    Last edited by CWater; 2013-03-13 at 07:12 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

9. - Top - End - #909
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Oh, definitely Vaarsuvius. (S)he is by far my favorite character in the whole comic and I'm totally in love with hir

Again, easy choice. O-Chul, along with other Sapphire Guard paladins is really interesting, complex and lovable character. Therkla was simply some generic bad guy, she redeemed her evil deeds and properly died in the hero's arms. Nothing very original here.

LC:

I can't stand Eugene either, but Samantha's Dad was no better. There is nothing to like in any of them, so I abstain here.

Death Knight is simply hilarious in Xykon-like way. Evisceratus was OK I suppose, but a cat toy is no match for an old classic.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Colossus in the Playground

Soon Kim, O-Chul, Evisceratus. And I wonder if that third contest will have a record number of abstainers.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Barbarian in the Playground

Got to be...

Vasuuvius
    O-Chul

Eugene Greenhilt
    Death Knight

O-Chul, take all the votes, man!

12. - Top - End - #912
    Dwarf in the Playground

FCT

I liked Soon Kim very much, but Vaarsuvius is my favourite character.

Poor Therkla, she was a nice character, but O-Chul is at a higher level, both in favouritism and story weight.

LC

Eugene beats Sam's Dad easily, not having a name despite being OK hurts a lot, especially when Eugene it's damn hilarious.

Two minor guys, I guess Evisceratus was funnier tho.
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!

13. - Top - End - #913

Vaarsuvius
    VS
    Soon Kim

Ok, a really tough choice here; I don't want to see either of these two characters fall. The Ghost Martyrs strip is probably my favourite moment in the story so far, and Soon appears to be an honourable and heroic character. But V's story in this arc andthe last book has been great, and she is good for a lot of laughs too. The wizard gets it on a points decision, mostly for the "can we please resume saving the world" line.

Therkla
    VS
    O-Chul
    Another tough one. O-Chul is a great character, but maybe a bit too relentlessly wise and tough and awesome. I have a lot of time for Therkla, who was something of a tragic anti-heroine even at her most teeny emo moments. So I'd call this a tie. But as I don't like to abstain, so I'm going to chuck a sympathy vote Therkla's way; I think O-Chul will probably walk this one, and she deserves better than to be white-washed.

Eugene Greenhilt
    VS
    Samantha's Dad
    No contest really; Eugene is a bit of a heel, but he is more memorable and important than the bandit chief.

Death Knight
    VS
    Evisceratus
    I've not re-read this arc, so can't remember who Evisceratus is. Death Knight wins by default.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

14. - Top - End - #914

Vaarsuvius. A tragic hero in the Greek sense. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Darth Vaarsuvius was the best arc in the strip.
    O-Chul. Wisdom, dignity, grace, a cool scar.

Eugene was always an old man in his heart. That's interesting. He gives us some insight into Roy's characterization. And as bad a parent as he was, haven't you ever wondered if Roy wouldn't be much better off if he had gone to wizard school?
    Death Knight was pretty funny.

15. - Top - End - #915

AssassinGuy

Vaarsuvius still got a long way to go, and Soon was a pretentious jerk, albeit a cool one.
    O-chul his friendship with MitD will have world changing effects.

Samantha's Dad
    Death Knight

16. - Top - End - #916
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hinjo...Ancient Black Dragon...*weeps*

Soon Kim is pretty cool, but not cool enough to beat Vaarsuvius. Sorry.

O-Chul beats out Therkla in a heartbeat.

LC:

Samantha's Dad, because anyone not actually annoying beats out Eugene.

Given that even with looking at the strip, it took me five minutes to remember "Evisceratus," I'm going with the Death Knight.
    Avatar by the lovely Paisley. Isn't she awesome? :)

Read my writing on AO3.

17. - Top - End - #917

PaladinGuy

Vaarsuvius for the first vote. Soon Kim is a good character on all respects, but didn't get enough screentime to compete on this one, I'm afraid. Better luck after an Order of the Scrible flashback, maybe ?

O-Chul as the second. I wasn't a huge fan of Therkla, so this one is a no brainer for me, really.

Eugene Greenhilt as the third. I must say, I really like this character, despite (or because of ?) his flaws. Against a character who's not even named ? Please.

And to wrap this up... hmmm. I'd go with the Death Knight. Without much enthusiasm. Well, he was funny while he was there, I guess.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

18. - Top - End - #918
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

V! V! V!
    Oh jeez. Too bad. Therkla deserves better than to get walloped by someone so clearly superior as O-Chul. If he were any other paladin, she'd have a fighting chance. I'm still going with her, as much as I like O-Chul -- her strips were some of my favorite in the comic, and her jokes & sass around the orcs, Kubota, and Qarr were top shelf. Anyone else gonna show some love?

Battle of the Dads! Greenhilt in a walk.
    Evisceratus! That line by the death knight is the only interesting thing he does, but the morally-crystalline, hilariously-underpowered, wannabe avenger? Awesome.

EDIT: Also, anyone else hear Elan's song "Resist, resist, resist the deadly poison" to the tune of "Little Fall of Rain"?
    Last edited by Bluepaw; 2013-03-13 at 10:32 AM.
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

19. - Top - End - #919
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vaarsuvius - Love Soon, but it's not a competition. You can't stop love
    her!

O-Chul - Didn't like Therkla at all, and O-Chul is a great character that I love a lot.

Eugene Greenhilt - Pfff. Eugene is a great comedy and I love his lines, easy.

Death Knight - Funnier than the other one.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

V
    O-Chul
    Eugene
    Evisceratus
    Last edited by Lord Ruby34; 2013-03-13 at 10:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #921

DwarfFighterGuy

V, O-Chul. Both are pretty self-explanatory. Although this is setting up a pretty titanic match-up next round.
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-03-13 at 11:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oof, this first one's a doozy. I would seriously consider voting for Soon Kim over one or two other PCs, but not over Vaarsuvius. Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable, but V's been broken again and again now, and he/she is a better character for it. Not to mention one of the funniest characters in the strip.

The next one is easier. O-Chul is a heroic and poetic badass, one of the best characters in the series. Therkla is an alright minor character, but I find her fairly forgettable for the amount of screentime that she got and I never really enjoyed the whole "redeemed because Elan is just so beautiful" angle.

---

Samantha's Dad is actually one of my favorite minor characters from early in the story. Eugene is a better character overall, but Sam's dad was actually pretty hilarious (way better than Samantha herself) and I enjoyed him a lot.

And...I have a hard time caring about these last two. Not every minor NPC can be Wizard Guy. I guess I'll go with Evisceratus because the housecat killing a commoner joke was pretty amusing.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Orc in the Playground

FCT
    Vaarsuvius
    O-Chul

LC
    Eugene
    Death Knight

24. - Top - End - #924

Vaarsuvius
    O-Chul
    Last edited by Rakoa; 2013-03-13 at 11:50 AM.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

25. - Top - End - #925

Soon Kim - As much as I love V, and she has had some amazing moments, Soon's lines in "The Land of the Rising..." still give me chills. He gets my vote, because V's going to crush him anyway, and he deserves to at least be able to put up a fight.
    O-Chul - This one isn't close. Not even a little. O-Chul is an awesome character, and the personification of what a Paladin should be. Therkla is my least favorite major character in the entire comic.
    Samantha's Dad - "I challenge you for leadership of the bandits!"... heh.
    Death Knight - Man, this guy was funny. Evisceratus? Seriously, I lost track of who that guy was while that arc was still going on.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2013-03-13 at 08:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926

Soon was OK. He had his stick-up-the-butt moments, and his actual-wise-paladin moments, and his crowning moment of awesome. None of this qualifies him to compete with an amazing main character like Vaarsuvius.

I was never a big Therkla fan. O-chul all the way. The quote selected for him this round is one of his best, showing how awesome he really is.

Argh, I hate Eugene. But sometimes, that's the mark of a really well-written antagonist. He's interesting, that's for sure. Not Lawful Good Heaven material, but interesting.

I never found the Death Knight funny. Evisceratus was funny, for the whole strip and a half that he existed.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Obviously Vaarsuvius
    O-Chul, because of his time with MitD
    Who is a sexy shoeless god of war?

Yeah.

28. - Top - End - #928

V, easy
    Therkala: the more interesting character
    Eugene: Samatha's dad was a wimpy antagonist. Eugene was the true emotional antagonist of his own plotline.

EDIT: oops, I forgot the last one:
    Death knight, given that I could remember who he was without having to check the link.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2013-03-13 at 02:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929

Ouch! Another round of major victories over minor favorites!
    Next level's gonna be hell...

FCT

Vaarsuvius, O-Chul

I'm a big fan of Therkla and Soon Kim (Ghost Martyrs of the Saphire Guard- ATTACK!) but unfortunately for Soon, V is a protagonist, and one with heavy detailing in recent strips; and as for Therkla, she's great but O-Chul is still O-Chul... Sigh, Neutralize Poison another time, dear...

LC

Eugene - Roy's sarcastic father? Of course! Didn't like Samantha or her Dad much...
    Death Knight - Reread the Death Knight strips recently, so I guess he's still fresh in the head. Evisceratus wasn't bad either though...

30. - Top - End - #930
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Vaaruvius Soon was cool, but was only showed up a bit, V's been a lot deeper of a character

O-chul Didn't like Therkla much at all. Also, it's O-chul.

Eugene Definitely more interesting

Evisceratus I thought his one panel of fame was funnier