New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LI: FE

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    For you, anything ^^
    (blushy)
    Thankies ^^
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not biased against masks that aren't possessed or anything. I just haven't met any nonpossessed masks that are also cool."

You know what? I don't honestly care how much of a crush the Commander has on you. If you want to risk destroying your mind and bringing about the end of your backwater little planet, who am I to stop you? Pick any damn mask you like, or don't and stay as nothing more than Sundancer.

I'll deal with her pouting about it if and when it becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Wait, screw Silent, I am utterly sure that I have seen you before. Like, at a family gathering or something. Are you sure?

Three thousand years ago, on another plane in an alternate timestream, I summoned to me the souls of all remaining members of my entire extended family line, living, undead or otherwise and burned them in an astral pire of impossible strength. In that dread conflagration of the souls of all who held ties to me, I forged a weapon of terrible power and purpose and with it slew the twisted entity that would call itself the God of my world.

I don't do family gatherings.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

Three thousand years ago, on another plane in an alternate timestream, I summoned to me the souls of all remaining members of my entire extended family line, living, undead or otherwise and burned them in an astral pire of impossible strength. In that dread conflagration of the souls of all who held ties to me, I forged a weapon of terrible power and purpose and with it slew the twisted entity that would call itself the God of my world.

I don't do family gatherings.
    Ah.

.......Family friend, then? I dont want to be grasping straws, realy, but I dont see any alternitives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Ah.

.......Family friend, then? I dont want to be grasping straws, realy, but I dont see any alternitives.

I very much doubt it.
    Perhaps I simply have one of those...lack of faces?

5. - Top - End - #605
    Colossus in the Playground

You know what? I don't honestly care how much of a crush the Commander has on you. If you want to risk destroying your mind and bringing about the end of your backwater little planet, who am I to stop you? Pick any damn mask you like, or don't and stay as nothing more than Sundancer.

I'll deal with her pouting about it if and when it becomes an issue.
    "Just once I'd like to be kidnapped by something that doesn't have a crush on me."

"Fine. Let's try this one!"

Sundancer takes down something that looks kinda like a Mexican wrestling mask and pulls it down over her face.

"I AM LUCHADORE MASK!" she roars in a voice deeper than any mere pony throat could manage, muscles bulging with infernal energy, "I HAVE THE POWER TO WIN ANY FIGHT, SUPLEX ANY MONSTER, AND THROW MY OPPONENTS THROUGH THE DOME OF THE SKY! WHO AMONGST YOU IS A WORTHY CHALLENGER?"

6. - Top - End - #606

I very much doubt it.
    Perhaps I simply have one of those...lack of faces?

Well, its the fact that you kinda...have the same magical aura outline as I do. Well, thats not true, realy, but I am utterly sure that we are related somehow. Ever been to Fleece? Roam?
    "Just once I'd like to be kidnapped by something that doesn't have a crush on me."

Sundancer takes down something that looks kinda like a Mexican wrestling mask and pulls it down over her face.

"I AM LUCHADORE MASK!" she roars in a voice deeper than any mere pony throat could manage, muscles bulging with infernal energy, "I HAVE THE POWER TO WIN ANY FIGHT, SUPLEX ANY MONSTER, AND THROW MY OPPONENTS THROUGH THE DOME OF THE SKY! WHO AMONGST YOU IS A WORTHY CHALLENGER?"
    ....Oh me.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #607

....Oh me.
    "YOU? VERY WELL! NOT MY STANDARD FAIRE, BUT I WILL HONOUR YOUR CHALLENGE!"

*Dive tackle*

8. - Top - End - #608
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I'm not biased against masks that aren't possessed or anything. I just haven't met any nonpossessed masks that are also cool."
    Since when was Garo's mask possessed?
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

9. - Top - End - #609

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Since when was Garo's mask possessed?
    All the masks in that game are possessed.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

"Understanding what Thanqol is on about" counts as a major unforseen life event.

Roll four dice.
    *Fails, at forum roller, goes and rolls 4 dice*
    4,1,3,10. One success. It appears that I will not suffer any kind of moral degeneration for understanding Thanqol...this time.

Then why would it kidnap you?

All the masks in that game are possessed.
    The best part is how everybody in MM treats the crazy possessed mask thing like its totally normal. Majora's mask plus moon falling, totally crazy insane weirdness, but all the other magical masks are just a part of daily life.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-08-15 at 10:20 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #611

*Dive tackle*
    Ahhh!

"Seemingly Teliports"

Ahhhhhh- wait, I am still alive! Yay!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

You realise the alternate type of kidnapping either involved bits of you being cut off and mailed to your relatives, or you simply being murdered without so much as an explanation?

You know what, it doesn't matter. You've made a choice, we're done here.

Well, its the fact that you kinda...have the same magical aura outline as I do. Well, thats not true, realy, but I am utterly sure that we are related somehow. Ever been to Fleece? Roam?

....Oh me.

I have never before so much as set hoof on your world, let alone visited any such places.

*Dive tackle*

I can work with this.

*Shadows envelop all three of them suddenly, depositing them in the ruins of Canterlot moments later*
    If you must behave like this, you will do so on your own planet. Ugh, look at the state of this place. Wasn't this supposed to be your Capitol?

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

I can work with this.

*Shadows envelop all three of them suddenly, depositing them in the ruins of Canterlot moments later*
    If you must behave like this, you will do so on your own planet. Ugh, look at the state of this place. Wasn't this supposed to be your Capitol?
    *Quantum Mareuit looks up from where she had been taking notes on the effect of channeling magic into the old castle stones after having to suddenly teleport out due to some crazy pony with a can of paint.*

Er, uh. Hi there. Did you want to know about the castle here? It used to be the capital a long time ago, but now it's actually outside the borders of our current kingdom. Not too many ponies come here anymore, but it's great for studying and you can practice without setting anypony on fire! Well, except yourself I guess, and maybe you now that you're here. Not that I would set you on fire, of course.

Uh, how do you do? I'm Quantum Mareuit.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-08-15 at 10:28 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

14. - Top - End - #614

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Then why would it kidnap you?
    "CIVIL DISCOURSE?"

You realise the alternate type of kidnapping either involved bits of you being cut off and mailed to your relatives, or you simply being murdered without so much as an explanation?

You know what, it doesn't matter. You've made a choice, we're done here.
    "I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I CAN THINK OF PLENTY OF REASONS WHY I'D KIDNAP PONIES WHICH DON'T INVOLVE EITHER OF THOSE THINGS! MAYBE YOU'RE JUST UNCREATIVE?"

I can work with this.

"WHAT, CANTERLOT IN RUINS!?" Luchadore Mask raises a hoof to the sky, "I SWEAR UPON MY SECRET TECHNIQUE TO FIND THE ONE RESPONSIBLE BOFFINSPARK AND HEADLOCK HIM INTO SUBMISSION!"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-15 at 10:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615

I have never before so much as set hoof on your world, let alone visited any such places.

Oh, realy? Well, I am sorry for-

I can work with this.

-Ahh! Wait, white marble, smells vaugly of burning flesh and roses.....

Canterlot? Huh, it looked better last week.

*Quantum Mareuit looks up from where she had been taking notes on the effect of channeling magic into the old castle stones after having to suddenly teleport out due to some crazy pony with a can of paint.*

Er, uh. Hi there. Did you want to know about the castle here? It used to be the capital a long time ago, but now it's actually outside the borders of our current kingdom. Not too many ponies come here anymore, but it's great for studying and you can practice without setting anypony on fire! Well, except yourself I guess, and maybe you now that you're here. Not that I would set you on fire, of course.

Err, what year is it? I am utterly sure I saw repairs going on last time I was here.
    "CIVIL DISCOURSE?"

"I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I CAN THINK OF PLENTY OF REASONS WHY I'D KIDNAP PONIES WHICH DON'T INVOLVE EITHER OF THOSE THINGS! MAYBE YOU'RE JUST UNCREATIVE?"

"WHAT, CANTERLOT IN RUINS!?" Luchadore Mask raises a hoof to the sky, "I SWEAR UPON MY SECRET TECHNIQUE TO FIND THE ONE RESPONSIBLE BOFFINSPARK AND HEADLOCK HIM INTO SUBMISSION!"
    Whoo, close one there.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

*Blank, eyeless stare*
    Set me on fire and I will do terrible and inventive things to you.
    Pleasure to meet you Quantum Mareuit, you may call me Joyreaper.

Name three.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds like a grand idea, have fun with that.

17. - Top - End - #617

Whoo, close one there.
    "DON'T -" *Cough, hack* "Don't worry, I have no intention of dishonouring you like that!"

*Suplex*

Name three.
    "Wrestling partner! Involuntary spectators for your wrestling matches! Luring your rival into a final showdown on top of a dam! Ha!"

18. - Top - End - #618
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    And this is why you should always kill your enemies. Yes, even death is not a garentee (but if they can escape from being dead, imprisioning them ain't gonna work either anyway), but generally works as Best Prison for 99% of all things that exist, especially the ones that are particularly hard to kill or claim they are unkillable manifestation of sommat or other, as they tend to be far worse off when actually killed.

Were I Celestia/Luna/remotely present, I'd have taken Discord's statue, shattered into bits and dumped the fragments into a volcano. Or at the very least, dumped it into the deepest part of the sea or send it to the moon or space or something (lobbing it out into the void seems pretty well within abilities) and then no amount if discord is going to break him out if he's drifting petrified in the depths on interplanetary space with no sentient/sapient creatures within a couple of light-years or something.
    *sigh*

No.

Just... no.

Space is really, really REALLY big. I'm not even going to bring up the Hitchiker's quote this time. It's also really, really, REALLY empty.

If you chucked Discord on a trajectory out of the system, the statistical likelihood is he would not encounter ANYTHING. At ALL. EVER. And be floating slowly out of the solar system into empty space until the universe ends.

There are no analogies big enough to describe the relationship in size between a, what, six-foot lump of rock and the size of entire universe.

You would be unlikely to find him even if you were looking for him, and even if you knew exactly what exit vector he went off on. Do you not recall how many sci-fi stories and stuff point out that you can't find a floating man, lost in space? That's entirely correct. This is exactly the same.
    You're wrong.

Prove there is a space that is infinite, and then we'll talk. But your go-to solution might not work in this instance.

Also, random tangent. In my first 3.5 game as myself, magic user extraordinaire, I ended up doing basically this very thing. Noun the man's living soul in a tortured, undying body in a timeless, eternal prison guarded by everything I could bind or create, lashed into a jewel and bequeathed to a divine guardian.

- Having the statue of a chaos god on hand makes a really good deterrent for people planning on hitting your capital with an orbital strike.
    Far lot of good that did.

It's MAD at it's most basic. You nuke me from orbit, I unleash an undying chaos monster that makes the planet permanently uninhabitable.
    Classy.

Scale, people, scale. Space is unfathomably huge. It is finite, but the numbers are so high that they are nearly meaningless in any concrete sense.
    Scale is unfathomably huge because you subscribe to a notion of power which works only within that paradigm. My specialty has always been finessing tertiary and unrelated systems into a useable an unpredictable tool. Getting mad because your enemy doesn't play by physics is just as valid as your enemy getting mad at you by not playing by the Rules f Honorable Engagement.

Look. Practical experiement. When you next go outside for a walk or something, take a straw and a piece of cardboard and paper with a hole in it to put the straw through. Get a pebble or something, find a field (or perhaps, if you want to be clever, some bio-degradable thing that floats and a duck-free pond). Lob said object to the best of your abilities, and then try to find it again - but you're only allowed to use what you can see through the straw.
    Falls apart when drawing that bauble from memory and pulling it out of the paper is a valid method of retrieval.

It is just not statistically plausible that anything that small lost in that big a space is ever going to encounter anything at all.
    I've had an entire existence wherein my main power was huge intellect and the ability to bend odds to my will. It was fun, if exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    To be fair, the sun is still more powerful in Japanese mythology, as evidenced by the time the moon got kicked out of the house for murdering the goddess of food.

And to be even fairer, the moon wasn't that angry all the time, he was just offended that his hostess would serve him divine vomit. Total breach of protocol, y'know.
    I also tend to generalize Onotangu from legend of the five rings in with the actual Japanese mythos.

Chinese myth had 14 suns, each about the size of a jumbo beach ball. They weren't all powerful. They were just jerks until they got shot to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    The problem with sending Discord into space is that it doing so fails to address the problem of him breaking out when the element bearers pass on, and could even speed up the process if the magic sealing him requires that he remain within a certain proximity to the elements.
    And the moment he does escape, you're right back to square one, given that distance has no real meaning to the spirit of chaos. So all you've accomplished is likely spent a great deal of time and resources storing the statue in a manner that's ultimately no more secure than leaving it in the garden anyway.
    There is no basis for Discord's imprisonment weakening due to the elements passing to new owners, or to being a continuous rather than instantaneous effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Your argument for the limits of Discord's power is based on the fact that he has been beaten by the concentrated power of the conduits to the most powerful underlying force in the MLP universe.
    There is likewise no reason to believe the elements of harmony are the Biggest Baddest.

That's a bit like arguing that an object is flammable because it would ignite if tossed into the sun. The example is simply too extreme to build a useful argument around. Discord might not be completely omnipotent, but he's close enough that the distinction is irrelevant.
    Different materials have different temperatures at which they evaporate, ignite and explode. Some objects will burn before they evaporate, some explode before they burn, etc.

It is entirely possible for an object to be disintegrated completely before burning at all. So where r not it burns is a meaningful distinction, however asinine the assertion may be.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    As for SiuiS, Pinkie isn't an eldritch abomination, she just channels the energy of The Pink One as one whose mind can comprehend and manipulate the powers without going mad. *Or as the Lich would post, Superpowers, superpowers everywhere.
    So the Pink One is called such despite having nothing really to do with pinkie at all? I dunno. Too contrived and Lovecraft For The Hell Of It for my liking. Just because something is hyper dimensional and has the [aberration] tag does not make it an unfathomably horror, no matter how insane it is.

19. - Top - End - #619

"DON'T -" *Cough, hack* "Don't worry, I have no intention of dishonouring you like that!"

*Suplex*
    Guuuuurrrrrk!
    Show

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, sorry to be the downer here folks, but better we self regulate before the Modguin wakes up.

*Spritzes the RP-in-spoilers bottle at the thread*

Sheesh, with the amount of spontaneous RP in this place, you'd think we were all completely insa ...

Ok, well that explains it.

Back to the part where I ask everyone for GMing tips; I know Thanqol's mantra that successful RP's are made or broken during the character creation stage. I'm thinking of starting recruitment soon, even though the RP is at least two months off, just so we can have a bit of a discussion around character types and how the group may work together.

Am I jumping the gun here? (Also, is anyone else interested? )

I'm not having much luck identifying potential quests and things. I keep tossing around ideas but just thinking "Well, it really depends on what kind of ponies these are"

As food for thought, have a poem I found that I think I'll use as part of the OP for the game;

Spoiler
    Show
    I read within a poet's book
    A word that starred the page,
    "Stone walls do not a prison make,
    Nor iron bars a cage."
    Yes, that is true, and something more:
    You'll find, where'er you roam,
    That marble floors and gilded walls
    Can never make a home.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

Spritzed:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They aren't your anything partner if they aren't willing. If they are willing, it's not a kidnapping.

Involuntary spectators? You can bring them to the match, but you can't make them watch. Not without magic, anyway.

And as for luring your Rival for a final showdown, if you have already kidnapped him then there need be no showdown, simply kill him whilst he is at your mercy and throw his lifeless body from the damn. Preferably in pieces.

...why am I even discussing this with you?
    That's it, I need a latte.

*evaporates*

In honor of Sundancer's entirely rational choice, some Luchador Ponies;
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-08-15 at 11:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #622

Guuuuurrrrrk!
    "Don't worry! Nine times out of ten this next move is nonlethal!"

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Well, sorry to be the downer here folks, but better we self regulate before the Modguin wakes up.

*Spritzes the RP-in-spoilers bottle at the thread*
    Hiss!

Back to the part where I ask everyone for GMing tips; I know Thanqol's mantra that successful RP's are made or broken during the character creation stage. I'm thinking of starting recruitment soon, even though the RP is at least two months off, just so we can have a bit of a discussion around character types and how the group may work together.

As food for thought, have a poem I found that I think I'll use as part of the OP for the game;

Spoiler
    Show
    Nor iron bars a cage."
    Can never make a home.
    Which game was this, again? What's the pitch?

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Which game was this, again? What's the pitch?
    The Pony PbP game I've been wanting to participate in for so long that I got fed up and decided to try running it

As for the pitch, it comes in varying levels of cheesy depending on your appetite. From least silly to most;

• It's an adventure/journey trip about trying to find your way home set in the wider MLP verse and tone of fics such as "Dangerous Business", "Off the Edge of the Map" and "One Last Quest". Making liberal use of the Where the World Ends wiki.

• It's a story about the small decisions that, thanks to simple fate, sometimes have an impact that vastly dwarfs our expectations.

• It's a story about four ponies, stranded on the far side of the world, who might find that getting home is very different from going home.

• Travel the world, meet interesting people, save and/or destroy Equestria in the process.

24. - Top - End - #624

The Pony PbP game I've been wanting to participate in for so long that I got fed up and decided to try running it

As for the pitch, it comes in varying levels of cheesy depending on your appetite. From least silly to most;

• It's an adventure/journey trip about trying to find your way home set in the wider MLP verse and tone of fics such as "Dangerous Business", "Off the Edge of the Map" and "One Last Quest". Making liberal use of the Where the World Ends wiki.

• It's a story about the small decisions that, thanks to simple fate, sometimes have an impact that vastly dwarfs our expectations.

• It's a story about four ponies, stranded on the far side of the world, who might find that getting home is very different from going home.

• Travel the world, meet interesting people, save and/or destroy Equestria in the process.
    When is it being run, and where is the link to this game of thrones wonders?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625

That's the primary reason why I run anything.

I'm actually interested, particularly if it's a more serious take. Depends on a number of things, particularly other players, but put me down as interested.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Great, all this Okami talk has make me want to make an OC that is a spirit/element of Rejuvenation. Although one wonders if her presence would put in a dent in all the havoc that goes on occasionally. Randomness is fine, but chaos not so much.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay I hate to do this to you guys but I have to ask. What's been going on since page 9?
    In the arena of logic I fight UNARMED!!!

Current Avatar by zimmerwald1915
    Former Avatars by the amazing Dirtytabs
    Former avatar 1

Former Avatar 2

28. - Top - End - #628

Quote Originally Posted by CrnivorousMeece View Post
    Okay I hate to do this to you guys but I have to ask. What's been going on since page 9?
    Metal Mask is now a mexican wrestler.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Our friendships are bonds made in IRON (and Lithium)
    What would lithium friendship look like? What would iron friendship look like, for that matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

RP: now in spoilers and slightly damp
    Spoiler
    Show

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Err, what year is it? I am utterly sure I saw repairs going on last time I was here.
    Why, it's year 2 of the glorious joint reign of the royal pony sisters, forever may they prosper. What year did you think it was?

*Blank, eyeless stare*
    Set me on fire and I will do terrible and inventive things to you.
    Pleasure to meet you Quantum Mareuit, you may call me Joyreaper.
    Hi there Joyreaper. It's a pleasure to meet you. What brings you to these-

*Suplex*

"Wrestling partner! Involuntary spectators for your wrestling matches! Luring your rival into a final showdown on top of a dam! Ha!"
    -AHHH what are you doing?!

I'm not having much luck identifying potential quests and things. I keep tossing around ideas but just thinking "Well, it really depends on what kind of ponies these are"

Spoiler
    Show
    Nor iron bars a cage."
    Can never make a home.

Sounds like a pretty interesting game, though I'm curious about how your two different pitches interact. A traveling home journey, to me, is not usually the best place for tiny decisions making a big impact because you don't have time to hang around any one locale and see how you tiny decisions influence others over a long time. Random powerful ponies wandering into new locations is more of a big decision kind of thing.

But, to answer your actual question, 2 months is fine, just make sure your players are engaged and discussing stuff and if everything seems to be ready early, try to be prepped to start early.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes