New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Wars of Arithea

"Very well then."
    As you set off through the streets, it seems surreal. The city isn't burning. The clash of steel is long over. The world hasn't ended, here, however much it seems that it has to you. The one difference is that the majority of the townspeople are indoors, cognizant of the recent fighting in several locations, now. As you near the gate, you see that the healers, apprentices and minor mages trained and certified by the government in healing magic, are working with a few casualties, and the dead are covered by the side of the road. It's impossible to tell which of the bodies is your father's, if any. There are no soldiers in sight, except for the two standing at the entrance of a building (the one in front of which the bodies and injured are laid out} just inside the gate.

Gelvin looks at you. "This part is your show, how do you want to handle this? I don't see any other guards. We can try and talk our way past them if we want in that building they're guarding, but if your father is one of these out front, we'd need a distraction instead. We could try to sneak in another way, or just kill them and search the... casualties?"

He leans back around the corner of the building you are covered behind, and scans the street again.
    "That’s what I do. I drink and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

Currently playing:

Currently running:

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Isma stared dully at the covered corpses. The fact that they were discussing her father's body still seemed surreal, dreamlike. Some part of her still believed that Therron Altera could still be alive, somehow.

"I doubt they would leave my father's … body lying in the road," she said after a pause. "Wouldn't the Council wish to make an example of him? I think it's more likely that he's inside that building."

Isma blinked in sudden realization. "And perhaps they have my mother kept there as well, if the Army hasn't yet moved her! Is there any way to sneak in that you can see?"

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That building only has the one entrance, that they're guarding, but there are windows on the side here, and I bet there are more around back." he says. "We could cross the street here and use the buildings for cover until we get up to it. Is that what you're thinking?"

Currently playing:

Currently running:

4. - Top - End - #34

"Yes," Isma said. "Let's try that and see if we can enter through the windows."

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

"All right, let's move." he says, as he looks both ways over the mostly deserted cobble street and darts across into the shadows between two houses on the far side. He turns, beckons for Isma to follow, and then vanishes as he heads around the corner of the next building.

Spoiler
    Show
    Saving some inane conversation: Assuming you follow, when you arrive there, you can see that the window on your side of the building (if west was the front. facing the road, you're on the south side now, approaching along the buildings on this street) is open. If you get to where Gelvin is crouched, he will beckon you to go first into the window while he covers you, and that he will follow close behind. Make any relevant checks you'd like to, and if you miss any (or any passive stuff is needed) needed in the time ahead, I can make them.

Also, if you don't want to put the time into this, as the zombie game is looking to shape into something quite cool and perhaps time intensive, I'm fine if you want to quit, mine may end up boring. We've had a rough start, but I like where it's going to go if we continue, too, I think, so your call.

Currently playing:

Currently running:

6. - Top - End - #36

Following behind Gelvin, Isma was for the first time thankful that she had sold most of her heavy, clanking armor. As they approached the southern window of the building, Gelvin motioned with his hand: After you.

Isma nodded, sheathed her sword and peered cautiously inside through the window.

Spoiler
    Show
    Observation (SL11): [roll0] + any modifiers for cover

If it seems clear, Isma will climb inside. To do so silently … Stealth (SL10): [roll1]. The -1 is for my encumbrance.

And I definitely want to continue if you do! I'm enjoy this so far.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-10 at 02:57 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, this is weird. My rolls in the previous post don't seem to be processing correctly? Trying again.

Observation (11): (3d6)[5] + modifiers
    Stealth (10): (3d6-1)[12]

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as you open a post to edit it, the rolls break; that could be the issue, if you tried to edit the post?

Currently playing:

Currently running:

9. - Top - End - #39

Spoiler
    Show
    Like even if I just edited to fix the spoiler tags? It hasn't always been like that, right? Because I've edited posts for grammar and stuff before without damaging the rolls (e.g. this one).

I guess this is my punishment for not making proper use of the Preview function.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-10 at 04:58 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In my previous experience, I was always told that if you edit the post, the rolls break. I cannot conclusively say that's the case in every event, or, if it's not, what exactly are the criteria for a safe edit. Maybe it's in the OOTP rules somewhere? Or the dice roller thread? IDK, I'll look later

Currently playing:

Currently running:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

When you look inside, you see a nearly empty room. It appears to be a storeroom, with shelved walls. The room is full of creates and boxes, and there is a pair of brooms sitting in the corner near the door, which is cracked open only about an inch(it opens out, into the hall).

You slip into the window, perhaps not as quietly as you intended, but not loudly, either. If you move ahead, Gelvin slips through the window behind you, and then draws his sword.

He motions towards you, and then the door, pointing to the left; then taps his own chest and gestures to the right.

Currently playing:

Currently running:

12. - Top - End - #42

Isma drew her sword as well. As carefully as she could, she pushed the door open slightly and peeked out. If it seemed clear, she would head to the left as Gelvin instructed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Observation (SL11): (3d6)[12] + modifiers

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Down the hall to the left you see a door, on your left; the room neighboring this one. You also see a doorway, open, at the end of the hall, and quiet footsteps, perhaps someone walking about, from somewhere beyond. If memory serves, that is probably the main store area of this building (which is obviously closed at the moment). Visible through the door frame is a slanted wall, perhaps the staircase going up, and open store space to the right, where nothing is visible yet.

Gelvin slips out of the room behind you, headed the other way, and then he taps your shoulder and whispers 'last room down here is clear, I'm behind you'

Currently playing:

Currently running:

14. - Top - End - #44

Isma crept down the hall as quietly as she could, not wanting to catch the attention of whoever was in the room at the end of the hall. She leaned her ear against the door of the room to the left, trying to hear if anyone was inside. If she heard nothing, she would try to open the door and enter as quietly as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth (SL10): (3d6-1)[14]

Dunno if you want to make Perception rolls or me, since I guess there could be hidden things that I miss if I fail. If you want me to:

Perception, Hearing (11): (3d6)[15] +/- any modifiers

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

15. - Top - End - #45

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoops, just realized that I did my Stealth rolls wrong, I think. It should be a -1 to the effective skill level, not to the roll itself, right? So I rolled a 15, and had to roll 9 or lower to succeed.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-12 at 01:06 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Could've sworn I posted here, my bad, haha. I must have not actually copied it from notepad. Lemme find my reply

Currently playing:

Currently running:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Upon entering the leftmost room, you immediately take notice of a body, lying on a cot, with a shroud over it. The edges of a dark blue dress edge out from under the shroud.

The rest of the room appears to be some sort of office. There is the cot against one wall, a small chest at the foot of it, and then on the right side wall, a desk, a chair, an oil lamp (unlit). The room has no window, and is therefore only lit by the light from the hallway. Shelving covers the third wall, on your left, with miscellaneous items on it - parchment, a quill, some ink, a few bottles, a few pouches, a small chest, etc. The wall with the door on it is bare.

Gelvin steps carefully into the room behind you, keeping a watch out the door, towards the open front room.

Currently playing:

Currently running:

18. - Top - End - #48

With a trembling hand, Isma lifted the shroud covering the body on the cot.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

You see your mother, relatively unscathed except for the gaping hole in her throat where it appears that something, an arrow perhaps, was removed. She is pale, and clearly dead. She is wearing her dress, but carrying nothing that you notice, nor any jewelry.

Gelvin looks around at you. "Is that... is that her? Forgive me, I don't know her by sight." he whispers.

Currently playing:

Currently running:

20. - Top - End - #50

Isma sensed something inside herself slam shut like a prison door. She stared at the corpse of her mother—a woman she had both loved and hated—and felt absolutely nothing. Everything seemed distant, unreal.

When Isma spoke, her voice was dead and papery: "It is."

She suddenly noticed her mother's missing jewelry. Lady Altera had always prided herself on her elegant taste and fashion sense; she wouldn't have been caught dead leaving the manor without some sort of expensive ornament draped around her neck or wrapped around her finger.

With a steady, surprisingly gentle hand, Isma smoothed her mother's hair and closed her eyes. Lady Altera looked almost peaceful. Isma's eyes lingered over her mother's face for a moment—memorizing the curve of her nose, the softness of her lips—before she slowly lowered the shroud.

Goodbye, Mother.

Isma stared at the chest at the end of the bed and on the shelf. I won't let those murderers have your things, Mother. I won't.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if any rolls are applicable or needed for checking the chests for her mother's jewelry and things. If I need any, feel free to make them for me.
    Last edited by Inglenook; 2012-10-18 at 08:06 PM.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

The chest at the foot of the bed contains some clothing; mens, relatively nice common clothing - perhaps belonging to the shopkeeper.

The smaller chest on the shelf is locked, but jingles with the sound of coins when moved. (Small as in jewelry box sized, or a hand perhaps)

Gelvin: "I am... sorry for your loss. I believe we should get out of here, now, and not do anything... rash."

Currently playing:

Currently running:

22. - Top - End - #52

"I came here to find my father's body," Isma spat, rounding on Gelvin. "I will not leave until I do so."

She swept out of the room, uncertain and uncaring as to whether the rebel was following. The small box was still clutched in her left hand; if there were any chance that it were her mother's jewelery inside, Isma didn't dare leave it behind.

She moved down the corridor as quietly as possible, trying to peer inside the open doorway at the end of the hall without being seen or heard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth (SL10): (3d6)[6] +/- modifiers
    Observation (SL11): (3d6)[10] +/- modifiers

Sorry for taking so long!

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inside this room there is a row of four bodies on the ground, one apart from three others. It appears to be a storefront for some form of general goods store - foodstuffs, farming equipment, etc. This close to the gate, it is a store that provides goods to those who come in to resupply on items they cannot acquire themselves.

No staff are in evidence, but there are two soldiers standing near the counter, talking quietly (small talk).

The room is rectangular, and you are in the far, bottom left corner. The stairwell up is directly in front of you, and the...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ah, hell... Map There. Also forgive the drawing. It took awhile to draw. I'm not entirely sober. So I'm proud of the drawing... But I couldn't think of how to explain the room fairly to you. The shelving is the black rectangles. Stairs up right by your door. Two guys next to counter. Bodies are all covered.
    Last edited by Asherion; 2012-11-03 at 11:02 PM.

Currently playing:

Currently running:

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, I'm trying to think of a way to either distract the soldiers or fool them into thinking we're shopkeeps. Damn Gelvin's scar and Isma's fugliness!

Two questions:
    - Did Gelvin happen to follow?
    - Is there a window or anything similar within a line of sight? If so, maybe I could throw my knife through it or something. That might get the soldiers to go outside long enough for me to get a quick look at the bodies.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    always accepting players

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Gelvin is just behind you; there are two windows in the front room, on either side of the door (the left one is down the wall a bit, almost centered on those shelves). The left one is shuttered, although just with a catch inside; the right one is open. No glass.
    Last edited by Asherion; 2012-11-04 at 09:04 AM.

Currently playing:

Currently running: