New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World's End

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: World's End

"Renlon. Nice to make your aquaintance." Renlon lifts himself from his chair. "I still have to prepare for travelling, but we can talk some more tommorow. Is there anything else that you want to tell me before I go to my room?"
    He turns to go to his room, waiting a few moments in case Halon says something else, then walks away.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2012-08-14 at 07:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Couldn't help overhearing, fellows..." Lyude interrupted. He leaned his chair backwards and turned his head to meet their eyes with an honest smile. "I've been contemplatin' heading that way meself. Mind if I come along? ...hey, miss!" He tried to get the attention of the woman that had rebuffed him seconds before. "Looks like we've got ourselves a good ol' fashioned company of heroes assembled! We're heading for the wilds to the east in the morning. Whaddya say?"
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2012-08-14 at 11:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Rignar chose this opportune intrusion to put in his own words. "I'm afraid I'm just as gossip prone, as I was listening to the whole affair. If the invitation is open, I'm looking to stake my own reputation as an adventurer. On the way here I overheard a gentleman airing his grievances over a harvest stolen by some kobolds. Perhaps we could deal with this problem ourselves. He says in a mildly friendly tone.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena turned at the rather loud man who she thought she had dealt with.

Adventurers? Do I look like an adventurer? Well, still got my bow and rapier, so I guess so, but that's self defence.

She strolled over slowly, so as not to shout across the room: "I'm afraid I'm not one for heroism my friends, but I shall keep note of you in case I ever need a rescuer." This last is said with yet another winning smile.

Heroes are a lot more interesting than old men: I'm sure our paths will cross again...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Jim
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    [roll0]

If Jim goes first, he will bathe the dog in an entangling exhalation line of fire for half of [roll1] (round down, minimum 1). If it takes damage (aka, doesn't have evasion), it is entangled for [roll2] rounds and will take 1d6 fire damage at the start of each turn as long as it's entangled.

If Jim goes second, his actions might change depending on what the dog does.
    Jim does indeed go first, and the dog appears to be quite entangled(and a bit hurt). Despite the sudden slowdown, the dog manages to slowly struggle it's way over to him(double move action, is now threatening you).

The rest:
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't see any actions I need to handle at the moment...sleeping, eating, and chatting with other PCs is automatically successful.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

After wandering for several hours, and still unable to find anything remotely resembling a townhall or guardhouse, Nemo returns to the inn. He pays for a night's lodging and for some proper food, and makes his way to an empty seat in the tavern. As he sits, he overhears the conversation occurring between several other newcomers to the town. He gets up moves over to them. "Pardon, but did I overhear you say something about kobolds stealing crops and plans to do something about it? As well as further plans to venture into the wilds outside town?"
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After seeing Renlon leave, Halon finishes his drink while he overhears a few other adventures talking about a stolen harvest. He lingers for a moment to listen in on there conversation, then pays the tavernkeeper for a room and heads to bed.

Spoiler
    Show
    SPend 1 gold on a room for the night.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Jim
    Jim does indeed go first, and the dog appears to be quite entangled(and a bit hurt). Despite the sudden slowdown, the dog manages to slowly struggle it's way over to him(double move action, is now threatening you).
    On its turn, the burning entanglement hurts it for (d6)[4].

On his turn, Jim will stand his ground, growl at the puppy, and blast it for dc 13 - (d6)[1] fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing he has their attention, Rignar continues with the information he has. The man who I saw, was very finely dressed. Likely a plantation owner whose fortune is dependent on fine upstanding citizens like us returning his lost property. For a finders fee. I'm sure I could find him again. And, their kobolds. May as well be weeds. Only a real threat if they cover your entire lawn and only require a good firm pull to be removed.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

10. - Top - End - #40

"Kobolds. Not exactly a major threat to the town, but one has to start somewhere. Would it be alright if I joined you in resolving this issue?"
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

They seemed like a merry band all right, but something made Selena think it would be worthwhile keeping an eye on this lot.

It was still relatively early in the day, so she strolled away from them, circulating amongst the locals and trying to find out a little more about the town, high life and low.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Info to find out about the main players in the town: any big business men or gang groups, as well as whoever runs the town.
    (1d20+3)[13]

Also, would it be all right if I took 2 flaws and 2 feats? I posted my sheet before you allowed them.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

After preparing his equipment for traveling, Renlan decides to do some research on the kobold who have stolen the harvest. He tries to remember everything he knows of the local kobold tribes, and also tries to see if the natives know anything else.

Spoiler
    Show

know local(1d20+9)[24]
    gather information (1d20+5)[18]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Well, if that's everything, I must be going." Lyude stood himself up. "Let us meet back here in the morning...I have business to attend to before the sun rises..." He approaches the barkeep, engages him in idle conversation, and proceeds to order the finest food the barkeep has available. Lyude wraps it up and places it in two baskets, and heads for the poorer side of town. Once there, he looks for the most destitute family he can find, and shares an evening with them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Purchased one day's ration and a banquet's worth of food for three people, costing 31 gold in total.
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2012-08-18 at 03:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

"Agreed." Rignar said before leaving for his own room.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

15. - Top - End - #45

"Very well, then." Nemo returns to his food, and, once finished, heads up to his room for the evening.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

ToySoldierCPlus:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Apologies over not noticing the guardhouse bit.

You find nothing resembling a townhall or guardhouse proper...law enforcement/security of the town seems to be primarily handled by golems. No doubt there are humans behind the creation of such things, but human guards of any sort within town appear to be unusual. World's End also appears to be too small and out of the way to rate any sort of notable offices or dignitaries from the empire proper.

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

The dog keels over as flames lick over it's charred, crispy body. The scene appears peaceful once more.

+100 Xp

Al'Lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

You discover that the town is officially administered by the Empire, but beyond stationing the golems here and tossing up a wall, they've mostly ignored it. World's End is small, out of the way, and is not particularly important economically, so it doesn't seem to have a proper government as such. However, as the golems come down harshly on anyone initiating violence or overt crime, there's a semblance of order. You do discover a few businessmen of sorts, though none seem terribly wealthy. Beyond the shop owners, you spot a halfling directing the shipment of lumber, and a number of those involved in the transport or selling of farm goods. A small tannery also exists in town.

OOC: Go nuts with flaws. =)

Theoboldi:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kobolds locally are considered something of an infestation. They're not particularly organized...at least, not near town, though rumors of warrens positively infested with the filthy creatures further away persist. However, they can be quite dangerous to the unprepared traveler, and make a practice of stealing away with livestock and goods.

You're informed that they've been cropping up again this summer, and the farmland regions have made occasional, half hearted efforts to cull them, but it hasn't seemed to have much effect.

Black Zawisza
    Spoiler
    Show

You find the tanner's apprentice and his young wife. They live out of a small room in the side of the tannery, and the unfortunate smells of the hides inside waft through their living quarters. Your generosity is well received, and they welcome you into their humble abode and chat with you over the unexpected meal. The apprentice mentions that he hopes to one day own a tannery of his own, once he masters the trade, and is freely willing to give you tips as to what sort of hides are the best to seek out.

All the sleepers:
    Spoiler
    Show

The night passes uneventfully, and you find yourself feeling quite refreshed in the morning

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Satisfied with victory, Jim will enter the old house and poke around.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Rignar will rise, and go down to a hearrty breakfast of milk and oats.

OOC: Pricing?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Renlan meets with the others at breakfeast, enjoying a small meal of turnips and bread.

Spoiler
    Show

1 silver removed for a poor meal.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena retires after her enquiries, with much to ponder: the lack of structure indicated a huge power vacuum, but since no one seemed to have capitalized on it probably indicated other factors she didn't know about yet.
    As she slept in the inns uncomfortable bed she pondered whether this would be a means of supporting herself and regaining her power...

In the morning she rose, and after preparing a surprise in case her investigations went wrong, began to circulate amongst those who sell farm goods, knowing that the quickest way to people's hearts is through their stomachs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Retributive Spell: Whelm (using metamagic school focus to let me do it as a level 1 spell).

So whichever is most interesting, unless they're generally homogenous and lacking in ambition, in which case Selena will move on to the halfling.
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-08-22 at 01:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Nemo retires after finishing his meal, sleeping peacefully through the night. He wakes with the dawn, meditates, and then goes downstairs to find breakfast and, hopefully, his new companions.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lyude listens keenly to the apprentice's tanning monologue. Eventually, he requests to spend the night in their home and falls asleep. He awakens very late in the morning and rushes to the tavern, hoping that he wasn't late.
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2012-08-23 at 03:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Renlan looks slightly amused at the sight of the human hurrying into the tavern. "Good to see someone else was working tonight. Although we're probably both getting to old for the night-shifts." He calls for the barkeep, and orders another breakfeast. "I'll pay for this one. You probably haven't had the time to eat something yet, have you?"

Spoiler
    Show

3 silver removed for a common meal.
    Also, has everyone shown up at breakfeast by now?
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2012-08-24 at 08:47 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Heh. 'Fraid I didn't, buddy. The offer's appreciated." Lyude requests a mutton and cheese sandwich and a shot of whiskey from the barkeep. "Never was very good at getting up in the morning...I thought I might be the one holding errybody up, but looks like we're the early worms after all."

After a moment of thought, Lyude dips his sandwich in his whiskey and take a cautious bite. He enthusiastically proceeds to consume the rest of his meal in the same manner, while watching the doors for the next compadre to show up.

"Renlan, right? So what's your story? How'd you wind up in these backwaters?"
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2012-08-25 at 03:50 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

As you carefully step over the threshold and peer around, a patina of neglect and decay meets your eye. Timbers from the roof have settled to the floor on the left side of the house, bowing the floor downward, and water damage shows everywhere there. To the right, a broken table rests amid a puddle and wind blows through a broken window over a worn wooden countertop. You're pretty sure that over the ambient wind and water noises, you can hear a faint scratching or scurrying.

newBlazingAngel
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: All in prices are SRD standard, milk and oats would probably be a an average meal.

Al'lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

The main ambition of the tradespeople seems to be selling you their unimpressive wares, and appear to mostly live either in the town itself, or in one of the farms clumped up near the town's walls. They seem fairly little interested in leadership beyond the occasional one that wishes to hire an apprentice or the like.

The halfling introduces himself cheerfully as Skip Halfhand, and commenting that you seem an able worker, asks what you do.

Black Zawiswa:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your night is peaceful and uneventful, and your new friends and you can break your fast on the remenents of last night's feast. The weather appears a bit cloudy, but otherwise well enough.

All:
    Spoiler
    Show

Weather is cloudy, with the occasional scattered showers, but no strong winds or other adverse effects.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"I do whatever is necessary." Selena replies mysteriously, "I have various useful skills, but what you want to ask is what I can do for you. This town is a backwater because no one has taken charge, no one is there to put the city on the map. Not just because it will improve all of your businesses, but it'll be good for the people. Do you think the empire would step in if you were invaded? Not now that's certain, but if you had something to offer them then you'd have safety and security!"

Selena included the man in what she hoped was a conspiratorial whisper: "You seem like you have charisma, and the strength necessary to lead. What do you say?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+6)[25]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not quite sure where this came from, but Selena has decided to use her charming skills to establish a PR business in a backwater fantasy town. Yes, this got surreal quickly.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Jim will search for the source of the scratching noises, ready to burn it with fire if it attacks.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Rignar moves with his breakfast to join Renlan and Lyude. He's wearing the same clothes that he had last night, the weather stained cloak that conceals his weapons and armaments. The only difference being that the hood is drawn back, revealing a rugged face, that has seen it's share of hardships. "Welcome companions." He says in a fuller voice than the neutral tone he used the previous night.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Sacer

Entering into town unnoticed by most, Sacer takes stock of his surroundings. "Time to find out if this town will be suitable." He begins to make his way through town, taking note of his surroundings and tries to gather some intel about his new home and any inclinations towards his way of the Shadow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information: (1d20+3)[7]. Beyond the basics, just wondering what kind of knowledge there is within town of Shadow Magic.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Halon comes down from his room and joins Renlon and the other men at the table. He says to the strangers. " You adventurers aswell then? If your joining us, my names Halon."