Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World's End

1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World's End

Al'Lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

Selena sees a glint of greed and lust for power in his eyes as he responds "Well, 'course the place would be better off with someone competent in charge. Someone like me, sure." He pauses, looking a touch suspicious, before asking "So, what's your angle then? You after a percentage, most like?"

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

As you poke carefully through the wreck, trying to locate the source of the noise, you glance down between the beams and see thousands of tiny eyes staring back at you in sets of eight. The wood comes alive as the arachnids swarm upward toward you. You also catch the slightest hint of something shiny gleaming in the depths beneath them.

Init:
    Spider Swarm:(1d20+3)[5]

SandDemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

The townsfolks seem blissfully ignorant of the finer distinctions of magic. They don't seem to generally distinguish much beyond "religious folks from the temples" and "mages and such". They respect the power such folk wield, naturally, but none seem to have much inclination to investigate the arts beyond that.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

Not having much luck, Torak is actually not surprised - those that understand true power are few and far between. Accepting the chances being slim, he knows his best chances might be at the local magic shops....but that's for another time - for now he was wasting his life away with the rabble when he clearly needed to find others like-minded. Survival works best in numbers.... and he wouldn't improve his art with commoners. Time to find sustenance!

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming he can figure out where the locals rabble over drinks, Torak will head on out to a tavern looking for adventurers.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

initiative - (d20+2)[15]

if Jim goes first he will breathe a cone of entangling exhalation fire at the swarm for half of - (d6)[4] reflex dc 13 half (overall minimum 1). if damage is dealt to the swarm then it is entangled for - (d4)[4] rounds. It will take d6 fire damage at the start of each of its turns that it is entangled for.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena laughs: "Your very perceptive. I like you already. Let's say that if I help you, I'd like help in return. But yes, I would require some sort of financial reward for my services." Selena found his blatant greed useful, but hoped she could make him more friendly towards her in the future.

"So to start. I'd like to know what you do exactly, how many people work for you, and what kind of organisational groups there are, official or unofficial, even if it's only the Builder's wives book club."

"Oh, and my name is Selena, Selena Trimaine."
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-08-28 at 06:39 AM.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

SandDemon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You easily find the Inn of Moderate Comfort, which has an adequate area for dining and drinking.

OOC: all the shops and things listed in the first post are public knowledge, and you can easily find your way to them all.

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

You do indeed go first, and the spiders fail the reflex save and take an additional 3 rounds of damage on their turn. Despite their numbers being greatly lessened and entangled in burning webs...they're close enough to reach you and attack on this round. (feel free to AoO if you're holding a weapon that will damage them).

Attack: (1d6)[2] dmg + DC 11 fort save vs (1d3)[3] Str damage. In addition, make a DC 13 fort save vs nauseate on your round.

Al'Lan Mandrag
    Spoiler
    Show

He grins knowingly as ask for gold. "Figured as much...people are always after coin. Me, I just organize the chopping of trees near the walls, sell a bit as lumber, some as firewood...the town gets by well enough on what I bring in, and how many folks I hire depends on demand. Try to get a few more folks chopping firewood before winter, of course. On a good day, maybe two dozen people are out handling wood.

As for organizations, ain't much. There's the empire, but after they founded this place, they just dropped the golems and left. I figure they mostly just wanted this place to exist so any monsters what cause problems hit us instead of them. Ain't like there's much trade out this way. Now, most of us tradesfolk know each other a bit. Ain't nothin' formal, but you got to know people to get anywhere in life. Once or twice, some sprightly young chap will pull out a sword and try to force people into line or some such, but the golems zap him right quick, and that's the end of it."
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2012-08-28 at 03:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

vs str damage - (d20+5)[24]

nausea - (d20+5)[11]

The spiders take an aditional (d6)[5] damage. Jim will blast them with fire again for ref dc 13 half - (d6)[1].

Jim spends his turn retching at the image of flaming spiders crawling all over his face.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-08-28 at 03:25 PM.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

Fortunately for Jim, the residual fire gets to the remaining spiders, and one by one, they all fall from him to the ground, burning to tiny crisps as they fall(5 damage to them).
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2012-08-28 at 03:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

With the spiders gone, Jim sticks his hand in the hole and tries to get ahold of the shiny.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

Peeking out from under the grime, you find some kind of cut, pretty yellow stone. Looks like it might be worth at least something.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Satisfied, he'll pocket the stone and continue to poke around the house for a while. If nothing else interesting turns up, he'll continue on his way.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Torak just entered the Inn of Moderate Comfort, who all is there right now? Are Rignar, Selena, etc there?
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

(Selena isn't in the inn at the moment)

Selena nods towards Skip. "Well it would seem like you already have a starting point. I have a number of ideas about how we can help each other. I've found this conversation most enlightening. Join me at the Inn of moderate comfort tonight, and we can discuss this further."

Selena left the man, content with her beginning. It looked like these other business men lacked the ambition needed to bring them power, so she would have to herd them, a bit like cattle. There were two big motivators Selena found, greed and fear: she'd found her greedy little halfling, now she just needed something to cause a bit of fear. Wondering what was most likely to scare the city, she headed to the magister's tower, in the hopes of finding an aged librarian to discuss her new magical interests with.
    Just before she entered, she ducked into an alleyway and wove a spell of deceit about herself, changing her young appearance to an older one.
    A woman in her fifties, with reddish cheeks and still golden hair left the alleyway, headed towards the tower with a determined gait.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Disguise Self. Level 1.
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-08-29 at 10:52 AM.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Fedris Kellen walks around, having entered through the North Gate in the hope of adventure, along with an eventual fortune. He walks into the Inn of Moderate Comfort and spends a few hours trying to look for rumors of jobs, or monster outposts, or monsters in general.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking ten on Gather information, and I'm taking (1d4+1)[3] hours.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

Noticing the man entering the Inn of Moderate Comfort, Torak turns to Fedris Kellen and greets him fairly amiably. "Greetings traveler - it seems we're both new to the establishment. Perhaps it is in our best interest to join forces? Much more can be accomplished....assuming you can hold up your end." That last part seemed like it was intended to be a playful pun but his eyes are obviously scanning for a strong individual and not dead weight. At the end after a pause, Torak holds out his hand, "The name's Torak."
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-08-29 at 03:59 PM.
    PbP Game List:

15. - Top - End - #75

SwashbucklerGuy

Fedris looks at Torak. After the pause, he leaves his hand alone.

"That sounds like a decent idea. I think I can hold up 'my end'. Do you have anything in mind in terms of things to do or accomplish?"
    Last edited by rorikdude12; 2012-08-29 at 07:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

Torak smiles faintly at the declined handshake. "Your guess is as good as mine, just got here myself. There has to be something out there that needs doing....let's combine our efforts and look for something to accomplish." After another pause, he asks "And your name.....or is that to be withheld as well?"
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2012-08-29 at 07:32 PM.
    PbP Game List:

17. - Top - End - #77

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SandDemon View Post
    Torak

Torak smiles faintly at the declined handshake. "Your guess is as good as mine, just got here myself. There has to be something out there that needs doing....let's combine our efforts and look for something to accomplish." After another pause, he asks "And your name.....or is that to be withheld as well?"
    Fedris stares at him coldly. "Kellen. I'd tell you what friends call me, but you don't seem to be a friend yet. I'll tell you when I find a lead."

Fedris continues his three hours of searching.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, I used to be a guardsman back in the more civilized parts. But it never seemed to be quite the right work for me." Renlan looks deep into his mug, obviously disgruntled at talking about his past. "It's a dangerous job, and it always seemed like I was the only one who actually wanted to help the people we were arresting. More often than not, the other guards left no, or only few survivors. And don't get me started on the guard-golems. Mindless, horrid automatons! So I came here. So I could do things my way."

He bites into another turnip, calming down slightly. He is visibly embarrassed. "Excuse me, I lost my temper there for a second. It won't happen again."

Not noticing Halon, he waits for Lyude's response.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2012-08-30 at 07:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your poking about uncovers nothing additional of note.

SandDemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pretty open ended as far as who's there...you can generally assume that moving about town at will is fair game without needing DM input or the like, and we're not worrying about in-game time overmuch.

Al'Lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

" 'allo, madam, name's Arty, whatcha be needin' today?" says the crusty looking mage as you enter the Magisters Tower. Behind a clear panel, you can see a few scrolls available for purchase, and there's a little study within which scroll copying takes place.

Rorikdude:
    Spoiler
    Show

You know of all the public locations in town, and you hear an elderly gentleman muttering about the new folk comin' into town of late. "Damned adventurers, most like. When I was a lad, hard work and a trade was the way to get ahead, not this muckin' about in the woods, hopin' to come across some ancient treasure"

20. - Top - End - #80

SwashbucklerGuy

When Fedris encounters the old man, he strides up to him quickly.

"Do you know where any of them might be? Adventurers, that is."
    Last edited by rorikdude12; 2012-08-31 at 03:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Jim will leave the old house and continue on his way.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

rorikdude:
    Spoiler
    Show

He wags his finger at you while saying, "Positively infesting the inn, they are! In and out, all day. My guess is they'll soon wander off into the woods and never be heard from again, though. Always happens soon enough, then we can get on in peace."

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Almost forgot xp...+300 xp for the spider swarm.

Further east, behind the house(where rolling hills are visible) or further south, into the forest?
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2012-09-04 at 07:39 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    d'oh, I had forgotten.

Jim will head deeper into the forest.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

The very edge of the forest has a few saplings growing round it's edges, with not much in the way of brush. As you step into the forest, a quietness settles over you. The thick underbrush is cut well back from the trail, and large, thick trees loom overhead. The occasional bird call can be heard throughout the trees, and the trail continues to the south. Smaller dirt trails wend off to both the east and west, though no sign indicates what awaits in either path. It does look like someone once attempted to board up the path to the west, but the boards have mostly fallen off the trees.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Deciding that exciting things are more likely on the west path, he takes that one.

26. - Top - End - #86

SwashbucklerGuy

Fedris walks up to Torak.

"We have our job. Stay outside the inn and keep watch for people who look like adventurers. We can group up with them and go for some adventuring from there."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Think nothing of it, brother. Forget not that some circumstances justify righteous anger - violent expression of it, even. That's something many of my ecclesiastical brethren have difficulty understanding." Lyude's face saddens for a moment, but perks up at the words of the two newcomers to the conversation. "Well, this has been quite a test of my patience! When on earth were you planning on getting here? Hmm...Halon, and...Rignar, correct? Good morning!"

He stands and reaches out to shake each of their hands. "I'm ready to shove off, I think. How about we leave a message with the barkeep, that anyone who comes here askin' for adventurer types is to be told we're headed east and anyone who wants to join us is welcome?" Without waiting for a response, he stands up and does precisely that.
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2012-09-06 at 06:25 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rorikdude12 View Post
    Fedris walks up to Torak.

"We have our job. Stay outside the inn and keep watch for people who look like adventurers. We can group up with them and go for some adventuring from there."
    Torak

Torak looks fairly surprised at Fedris' statement. "Wait, we're just going to wait here for others? Seems pretty...dependent. Why not just go out a bit ourselves and see how it goes?"
    PbP Game List:

29. - Top - End - #89

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SandDemon View Post
    Torak

Torak looks fairly surprised at Fedris' statement. "Wait, we're just going to wait here for others? Seems pretty...dependent. Why not just go out a bit ourselves and see how it goes?"
    "We have no idea where to go. If you just want to explore, that's fine. I just thought you were looking for treasure. Off we go then. I'll follow you."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Renlan stands up with Lyude. "Yes. Let's just leave a message for other people. It's a about time we left town."

Quickly checking his possesions and adjusting his backpack, he follows him, ready to hit the road.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.