New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World's End

1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: World's End

Spoiler
    Show
    Lyude and Renlan probably going to run into Torak and Fedris outside?
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

You manage to find your way down an overgrown path, with no sign of life, after scrambling over the shoddy attempt at a barricade.

After a bit of following the winding trail through the eerily quiet woods, you catch sight of a broken down keep, with a wall surrounding it that's fallen into disrepair, a single broken tower jutting skyward next to a gate that fell down years ago.

You four:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh yeah, you all run into each other outside the tavern.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Jim will walk straight up to the gate and take a peek inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

Watching the two leave the Inn, Torak makes an attempt to greet them as they head out. "Hello fellow travelers, my acquaintance and myself here were just actually going to head although we've been looking for more to join us for a little adventuring." With an honest smile, he bows his head slightly. "My name is...perhaps we could head out together? Why not, what's the worse that could happen..."orse that could happen..." Realizing this could be seen badly, Torak kind of muffles the rest as he smiles.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena smiles warmly towards the man in front of her. "I need to talk to a magister, I have a 'problem' that needs dealing with, and well, I always heard that you were the most powerful mages in the city. I knew I'd need the cleverest one for this thing you see."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+6)[21]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[12]
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Noticing the two strangers, and especially the weapons they carry with them, Renlan seems slightly concerned. "We are adventurers, yes. I don't know about travelling with the likes of you, though." He points at their weapons. "You are carrying those because you want to defend yourself in the wilds, don't you? Let me inform you that, if you want to travel with us, those will have to stay in their sheaths for most of the time. I will not tolerate reckless use of them."
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Noticing the two strangers, and especially the weapons they carry with them, Renlan seems slightly concerned. "We are adventurers, yes. I don't know about travelling with the likes of you, though." He points at their weapons. "You are carrying those because you want to defend yourself in the wilds, don't you? Let me inform you that, if you want to travel with us, those will have to stay in their sheaths for most of the time. I will not tolerate reckless use of them."
    "That can be arranged. But be warned, I will slay our enemies in combat by weapon, not with magic."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

"I would prefer people not to be slain at all, whenever possible. I don't care if you use magic or steel to cause unnecesarry deaths. Of course, I understand that you have no other choice. What else are you supposed to do with weapons but murder? Even the greatest knight in the kingdom wouldn't be able to save a life by swinging his sword at it."
    He glares at Fedris for a second, but calms his expression quickly.

"I suppose you could manage to at least save our lifes by swinging those daggers of yours. If you show decency in your ability to judge when to stab something, then working together can prove valuable for both of us."
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

9. - Top - End - #99

SwashbucklerGuy

"I would prefer people not to be slain at all, whenever possible. I don't care if you use magic or steel to cause unnecesarry deaths. Of course, I understand that you have no other choice. What else are you supposed to do with weapons but murder? Even the greatest knight in the kingdom wouldn't be able to save a life by swinging his sword at it."
    He glares at Fedris for a second, but calms his expression quickly.

"I suppose you could manage to at least save our lifes by swinging those daggers of yours. If you show decency in your ability to judge when to stab something, then working together can prove valuable for both of us."
    Fedris looks very sad, almost as though he would cry, despite the rest of him looking like a hardened warrior.

"These daggers aren't for swinging. I am a warrior. A warrior carries weapons and carries himself in such a manner that he might avoid violent conflict. A warrior is truly to protect, not to kill. Deaths are always to be avoided, and your impressions of me based on my tools designed to primarily intimidate potential attackers... Well, I don't want to travel with a bigot who thinks anyone trained for combat enjoys it."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Renlan flinches back at Fedris' words, clearly hit. He stays quiet for a few seconds.

"I am sorry for my harsh words. If you truly avoid killing wherever you can, and seek to subdue your foes rather than harm then, then I have judged you too quickly. I have found better ways to protect people, but I forgot how difficult it can be for those without any sorts of magical abilities. I'm sorry. Can you accept my apology?"

11. - Top - End - #101

SwashbucklerGuy

Renlan flinches back at Fedris' words, clearly hit. He stays quiet for a few seconds.

"I am sorry for my harsh words. If you truly avoid killing wherever you can, and seek to subdue your foes rather than harm then, then I have judged you too quickly. I have found better ways to protect people, but I forgot how difficult it can be for those without any sorts of magical abilities. I'm sorry. Can you accept my apology?"
    Fedris almost smiles, but contains himself.

"Gladly. Let us be off."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Rignar remains wordless through the exchange, choosing to lean against the tavern wall until they finish. With his hood drawn again, his face is cloaked and any armaments are hidden. He follows the group wherever it may go.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lyude walks his cane a bit ahead of the group, determined to not prove himself a burden physically. He proceeds past the city gates due east, occasionally checking behind him for his new friends.
    Last edited by Black_Zawisza; 2012-09-08 at 10:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Renlan turns towards Rignar. About those kobolds you mentioned yesterday, where do we need to go? It's about time we get going."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

As you do so, you see inside that a rough wooden door closed on the tower, and crudely barred shut with a stick shoved through the handle. In addition, there's a burned out bonfire pit in the center of the small courtyard, and a somewhat beaten path leads into the keep's gaping, unprotected open doorway, the doors of which look to have vanished years ago. In addition, a fainter path leads around to the back of the keep.

Javelin Attack: (1d20+3)[18](resolve against flat footed)
    Damage: (1d4)[1]

A heretofore concealed goblin behind you in a tree hurls a javelin at you as you peer inside, but as you glance back, he's clearly exposed now, reaching for another javelin and whooping a war cry.

Al'Lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

The elderly fellow smiles warmly at Selena, and replies "Thanks for your compliments, lass. We do alright for ourselves here, and we're clever enough to avoid the hustle and bustle of big city life, I suppose. What can I help you with?"

East Gate Party:
    Spoiler
    Show

The road outside of town is cobbled for only a short distance outside of town, becoming a well beaten path. It leads over a remarkably solid, large stone bridge, upon which a young lad is fishing off of. Immediately afterward, the path splits into three.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Jim takes the scratch without a grunt.

"Clever." He says. "Allow me to show you my trick."

A line of entangling flame hits the goblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    half of ref dc 13 - (d6)[2] and entangles for (d4)[3] rounds. Each turn, it takes d6 damage while entangled.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-09-09 at 07:46 PM.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

17. - Top - End - #107

SwashbucklerGuy

Fedris stops.

"What are you doing here, boy? It's dangerous out here. Especailly if you go alone. What is your name?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Rignar moves to examine the stream, watching the water and fish pass.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena, conscious she won't have long in her disguise, tries to approach the man in a conspiratorial fashion. "My family has a serious problem, my husband is a woodsman, but there is something out in the woods that has attacked him, and scared all of the game away: we are struggling to feed ourselves and our children. So I went there yesterday, since I have a little magic of my own, but the creature was resistant to my spells: it is some monstrous stone construct. I was hoping you would be able to give me a spell or item I could use to stop it, before it hurts more people."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+6)[12]
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

The goblin teeters a bit as the force of impact hits him. You see his arms flail a bit as he tries to catch his balance, but the flames do him no favors, and he plummets to the earth. A painful sounding muffled thud accompanies his dissapearance into the underbrush.

From ahead, you hear movement in a few places, probably alerted by his cry. Certainly at least some hubbub is coming from the main keep enterance, and you hear the sound of something large moving in the castle.

+100 xp.

Rorikdude12:
    Spoiler
    Show

The lad says "My name's Little George, and me mum said it was ok to fish here, long as I didn't get in the water, or go exploring or nothin'. Oh, and to be back home well before sunset, on account of the barrow-wights, but my friend Abel claims he's been out here at night, and they never come this far. She's a worrier, me mum is, sure enough."

newBlazingAngel:
    Spoiler
    Show

You hear the lad respond to your comrade's query with "My name's Little George, and me mum said it was ok to fish here, long as I didn't get in the water, or go exploring or nothin'. Oh, and to be back home well before sunset, on account of the barrow-wights, but my friend Abel claims he's been out here at night, and they never come this far. She's a worrier, me mum is, sure enough."

The river seems to be teeming with life, with minnows darting this way and that, and large fish lazily swimming along up the stream, one of them looking like he's considering the lad's bait. None of the things seem to be swimming underneath the bridge itself, though, they mostly seem to stop a couple feet away from it.

Al'Lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

The fellow looks quite concerned, and replies, "Oh dear, I fear that might be some sort of golem or construct, perhaps. Is your husband alright? The woods are dreadfully dangerous, with all manner of things out there. I'm afraid I don't have any items that might be of help against them...but you'll be safe in the city. Nothing comes in here on account of our golems. I could, I suppose, forget to charge you for copying a spell, if you see anything in our list that's of help. And, if you could provide any information as to the type of golem or thing it was, perhaps I might be able to research what exactly it is."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Jim will call out, "The name is Jim Dandee, destroyer of worlds. Dare you to face me in combat?" Bravado never hurt. intimidate - (d20+3)[6]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena looked at the man gratefully: "Thank you so much, I guess I'll have to remain in the city, but my husband needs those woods to earn a living." Selena gives the man a description that matches anything she knows about the golems that patrol the city, although obviously without any insignia, and darkened by plants/foliage/detritus from the woods.

She moves to the scroll cabinet and attempts to copy a Scroll of Identify: "Perhaps I can use this to find out more about the creature." She states naively.
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-09-12 at 10:49 AM.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

Three goblins pile out of the main doorway, looking entirely undaunted. The lead one points at you with his spear and bellows in response to your challenge. Behind him, his two compatriots fiddle with crude shortbows and wicked, jagged tipped arrows.

You definitely hear more noise behind them as well, looks like there's a whole warren of the buggers.

If you speak goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show

Die, tresspasser!

Init:
    Spear Goblin: (1d20+1)[20]
    Bow Goblin #1: (1d20+1)[16]
    Bow Goblin #2: (1d20+1)[12]

Al'Lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

The mage makes no attempt to prevent her from copying the scroll, but his brow wrinkles with concern. "I don't know if that'll help you lass. That sounds like a pretty big problem indeed. I don't suppose you could cut the trees somewhere else until it goes away?"

OOC: standard ink/component prices are necessary to actually make the scroll, but there's no fee for the copy itself.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2012-09-12 at 12:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Jim will respond in their language with "No, it is your turn to die."

init - (d20+2)[6]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    So would there be supplies there that Selena could pay him for? Or should she come back with them?

She smiles sadly: "Unfortunately it's his whole livelihood and he hunts there as well: lots of his equipment is stored there as well, and it would take months to fully relocate his craft." Selena hoped that the old man would know little of hunting and woodscraft and that he would be convinced by this.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

SwashbucklerGuy

"Barrow wights? Where and what are these, George?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Rignar steps off the bridge, and tries to get a better look at the underside of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Planswalker:
    Spoiler
    Show

The spearman charges at you confidently, whooping as he does so.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[19]
    Dmg: (1d6)[2]

Following his lead, the two archers stand their ground and loose arrows at you, reloading swiftly from their quivvers and readying another volley.
    Attack: (1d20-1)[11]
    Dmg: (1d4)[4]
    Attack: (1d20-1)[12]
    Dmg: (1d4)[3]

Nobody else has arrived as of yet, but the footsteps sound closer, practically on top of you.

Al'Lan Mandrag:
    Spoiler
    Show

His concern is palpable, and he seems most worried as he urges the utmost caution against going back to the same area, at least.

OOC: Supplies are available and plentiful, or you could come back later, if you preferred. He rolled a nat 1 on sense motive. =)

Rorikdude:
    Spoiler
    Show

The kid's eyes brighten, and he eagerly relates what he knows. "Well, I ain't never seen 'em, but Abel said he did, and everyone knows there's horrible things out there. Me mum told me that they're horrible dead things that come out at night from the hummocks on the plain out thataway", he says, waving generally to the east. "She says they'll get you for sure if you're out at night, or if you don't clean your plate at dinner. Ain't no way to fight 'em either, she says. Sticks and stones just go right through em, and then they eat you allll up." He grins as he finishes his story, clearly relishing his chance to share his knowledge.

NewBlazingAngel
    Spoiler
    Show

As you explore, you hear the kid continuing to chatter: "Well, I ain't never seen 'em, but Abel said he did, and everyone knows there's horrible things out there. Me mum told me that they're horrible dead things that come out at night from the hummocks on the plain out thataway. She says they'll get you for sure if you're out at night, or if you don't clean your plate at dinner. Ain't no way to fight 'em either, she says. Sticks and stones just go right through em, and then they eat you allll up."

The bridge hangs low over the water...it's quite thick, really, now think about it, even for a stone bridge. You can barely see under it at all, but by putting your head barely above the water, you can peer underneath, where you see a set of green, roughly human-sized eyes balefully staring back at you.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Deciding that maybe attacking a fortified goblin encampment head-on wasn't so smart, Jim will breathe and entangling exhalation of fire on the leader and begin a hasty retreat.

ref dc 13 for half of - (d6)[3] rounded down, min 1. If damage is dealt, entangle for (d4)[2] rounds. Each round, foe takes d6 fire damage on their turn.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena copies the scroll and leaves him a couple of silvers for the ink and parchment, thanking him heartily. "I hope you can think of something.. Oh I'm sorry, I never did ask your name. I'm Marta, Marta Greenhill." After finding his name she bids him farewell and hurries off with the scroll.

That could have gone better she mused, when in the open and once again resuming her normal form. At least I have a contact there now, but if I'm going to get these people to band together behind a leader, then I need something that will give them cause to fear, something that will show them the Empire's protection is not enough.

She paused. Whilst that mage is coming up with a Golem-slaying spell, maybe I should find out what else is around this place, perhaps if I hurry I can find those men who were planning on leaving town...

Selena heads to the Inn, hoping to catch up to the other adventurer types. If she doesn't see them there, then she asks the barkeep if he knows anything of them and their whereabouts.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show