New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightbulb Materials of Lore

Doing this because im remaking the metallurgist class. also the earth nodes have been used in my games, and i thought it was time to complete a list.

I hope others will submit theirs below as well.

Arcanite – White metal crafted into armor and weapons are as light as air, all weapons and armor weight 20% the normal; reducing armor type to light always, reducing spell failure chance by 20%, armor check penalty by 4 (to a minimum of 0) and raising maximum Dex by +3. Weapons are treated as being one size smaller for wielding purposes.
    Atium – Blue metal, items crafted are treated as having a +2 enhancement bonus, adding +2 bonus to Attack and Damage rolls and is treated as magic for ignoring DR. for armor and shields it functions like +2 armor or +2 shield, gaining a +2 on Armor or Shield bonus to armor class.
    Balthazate – Deep red metal, weapons carries flame easily when touched to a torch (1d4 fire) or similar fire, dealing double fire damage on critical hits, sparks fly when struck causing all adjacent flammable objects to catch fire (like the spark effect).
    Galvorn – This Metal looks like black steel, ignores half sunder damage taken from sunder attacks and is treated as Magic for ignoring DR.
    Insidium – Transparent ore that can be forged into invisible metal, but rather dull and fragile, -1 damage and fragile quality. An invisible weapon can still be detected by touch, but the bearer gains a +5 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal the weapon, and casual inspection does not reveal it at all. Other effects that detect or reveal invisible things work normally on the weapon.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2012-06-28 at 03:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Materials of Lore

Earth Nodes
    Secretions from nodes fired becomes a hard stone and are wearable by druids. nodes appear as science project volcano's in shape and size, domed on the bottom, mountain shaped on top. They are about 10 ft. tall and no wider than 5 ft. at mid bottom. They secret about 10 pounds of fireable resin a day. Only one node of each type appears to exist in any one plane.

Blue – armor crafted from blue resin grants water breathing when worn, weapons crafted from blue resin deal double damage to creatures of the fire subtype. (IE: A Blue longsword would deal 2d8 plus strength vs. fire subtypes instead of 1d8 damage).
    Red – armor crafted from red resin grants immunity to heat effects as endure elements, weapons crafted from red resin deal double damage to creatures of the cold subtype (IE: A Red longsword would deal 2d8 plus strength vs. cold subtypes instead of 1d8 damage).
    Green – items crafted from this are treated as Mithril, all attacks are treated as silver like mithril is. The material is also immune to Acidic damage, as well as rusting effects.
    Yellow – Slightly magnetic, granting +2 on attack rolls when target is wearing a ferrous metal (any metal that attracts magnets; like iron, mithril, adamantine, etc.).
    Purple – Armor crafted from purple resin grant all divine spells cast within a range of 30 ft. +1 CL checks.
    Black – Armor crafted from this resin dims light sources within 30 ft., decreasing light one step. All necromancy spells cast within 30 ft. gain a +1 on CL checks.
    White – Armor and weapons absorb light during the day and shed light as a torch during the night. No other properties, but makes for an excellent source of coinage in my world. Also known as Nighteyes for their signature glow. Worth is equal to gold for coinage purposes.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2012-09-23 at 10:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Materials of Lore

Quote Originally Posted by LordErebus12 View Post
    Doing this because im remaking the metallurgist class. also the earth nodes have been used in my games, and i thought it was time to complete a list.

I hope others will submit theirs below as well.

Arcanite – White metal crafted into armor and weapons are as light as air, all weapons and armor weight 20% the normal.
    Atium – Blue metal, items crafted are treated as having a +2 enhancement bonus. To what?
    Balthazate – Deep red metal, weapons carries flame easily when touched to a torch or similar fire, doubles fire damage on critical hits, sparks fly when struck causing adjacent flammable objects to catch fire.
    I don't get this, how much fire damage does it do?
    Galvorn – This Metal looks like black steel, ignores half sunder damage.
    Insidium – Transparent ore that can be forged into invisible metal, but rather dull and fragile, -1 damage and fragile quality.
    What are the effects of having a invisible weapon?
    Earth Nodes
    Secretions from nodes fired becomes a hard stone and are wearable by druids. nodes appear as science project volcano's in shape and size, domed on the bottom, mountain shaped on top. They are about 3 ft. tall and no wider than 2 ft. at mid bottom. They secret about 10 pounds of fireable resin a day. Only one node of each type appears to exist in any one plane.

Blue – grants water breathing when worn, weapons deal double damage to fire subtypes.
    Red – grants immunity to heat effects as endure elements, deals double damage to cold subtypes.
    Green – treat as Mithril for abilities, attacks are treated as silver.
    Yellow – Slightly magnetic, granting +2 on attack rolls when target is wearing a ferrous metal (ones attracting magnets).
    Purple – Treat all divine spells cast within 30 ft. as +1 caster level
    Black – light decreases one step within 30 ft.; necromancy spells cast within 30 ft. gain +2 caster level.
    White – absorbs light during day and sheds it during the night. no other properties, but makes for an excellent source of coinage in my world. known as Nighteyes for their signature glowing. worth equal to gold for coinage purposes.
    Responses in bold.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I figure Balthazate would deal as much fire damage as a torch (1d6? that or somewhat less, I believe), same as the torch the flame came from originally.

Insidium should bestow a benefit, like +X on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I figure Balthazate would deal as much fire damage as a torch (1d6? that or somewhat less, I believe), same as the torch the flame came from originally.

/agree

Assuming Atium's bonus acts like a +2 enchantment on a weapon or armor, that makes it significantly more powerful than the others.

Perhaps Galvorn should also deal extra sunder damage itself?

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

1d4 fire is standard torch, if i remember correctly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

And perhaps Arcanite could have a reduced Arcane Spell Failure Chance due to decreased weight? Would be in keeping with the name..

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

welknair, morphbark, gnomegninjas...

i did some minor revisions as to your suggestions...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

my biggest issue is costs. i dont really want to make actual costs up. i think DM's using them should decide on where it can be found and how much it costs. the metallurgist class will convert mixes of standard metals with magic to artificially create these extremely rare metals, normally only found on the Elemental Plane of Earth, in tiny amounts.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Atium: What about Atium armor and shields?
    Galvorn: "...for ignoring DR" I would replace with "...for ignoring DR and Hardness".

my biggest issue is costs. i dont really want to make actual costs up. i think DM's using them should decide on where it can be found and how much it costs. the metallurgist class will convert mixes of standard metals with magic to artificially create these extremely rare metals, normally only found on the Elemental Plane of Earth, in tiny amounts.
    Well, the power level of these seems to vary a significant bit. Arcanite and Atium are going to be much more sought-after than Balthazate. In general, price is a function of supply and demand. How common these are in a world will play a large part in how expensive they are.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I had a few for Etherworld. I wanted to base them on the four elements, but got a bit stuck on the way.
    Anyway, I had Ur-Stone (elemental earth) which was a kind of black alchemical super-metal. Absolutely indistrictible with any known process, up to and including disintegration, and extremely dense and heavy. The only problem is that it is so resistant that you can not forge it in any way, only make small alchemical pellets.
    Then I had Phlogiston, which is a gas-like, weightless substance made of pure fire. Deals a lot of damage, but hard to control.
    Luminiferous Aether, as the name suggests, is an intangible (in fact, it is incorporeal, similar to the creature type) gaseous matter that has the ability to conduct light. It is used in making light batteries, magical jars that can catch light and then store it for use later.
    Vitriol is just super-acid.

Hm. But I digress, you wanted Metal.
    I had True Iron, which is like Cold Iron, except that it deals 1d6 points of damage to any creature with DR/cold iron that touches it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I had True Iron, which is like Cold Iron, except that it deals 1d6 points of damage to any creature with DR/cold iron that touches it.
    It would be exceedingly ironic if this damage didn't overcome the DR.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

The "as cold iron" thing of course also refers to overcoming damage reduction.

But yeah, would be fun.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Atium: What about Atium armor and shields?

functions like +2 armor or +2 shield, gaining a +2 on Armor or Shield bonus to armor class, as usual. is it necessary to word it? i thought +2 enhancement bonus covered this...

Galvorn: "...for ignoring DR" I would replace with "...for ignoring DR and Hardness".

no. it a tough metal, for sure, but it doesn't slice through weaker metals like adamantine, its just very resilient to damage. it will never ignore hardness.

Well, the power level of these seems to vary a significant bit. Arcanite and Atium are going to be much more sought-after than Balthazate. In general, price is a function of supply and demand. How common these are in a world will play a large part in how expensive they are.
    my comments in bold italic.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

my comments in bold italic.
    Atium: I was meaning to point out that your description specifically mentions bonuses to attack and damage rolls, but not armor/shield bonuses. I found that a bit peculiar.

Galvorn: Fair enough.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

added to Atium description

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision