Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: PTA: Dusk Island (IC)

"thank you I would appreciate that"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    Sarah looks at you quizzically, "Huh? Oh, right! You and your ground types! Well next time we're sent to the caves I'll drag you along, how's that sound?"
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Chuckling as he listens to the conversation, Blake asks, "Just out of curiosity... do you have anyone in the gym with much medical skill?"
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Blake:
    "Medical skill? Taylor is our in-house medic," Sarah says to you. "She's not as skilled as those in the Pokecenter or the hospital, but she gets us through our wounds. She and Andrew spend most of their time in the kennel tending to the eggs and parents alike."
    Games GMed

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MintyNinja View Post
    Collin:
    Sarah looks at you quizzically, "Huh? Oh, right! You and your ground types! Well next time we're sent to the caves I'll drag you along, how's that sound?"
    "Thank you. I cherish the opportunity."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Smiling, Blake nods, and says, "I'm actually studying medicine myself, so I might be able to help out there from time to time."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Mika starts her way back, taking her time as she enjoys the scenery. Her 2 pokemom following close behind her. Once she gets closer to the arena she returns them to their balls.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mika:
    You are able to just get inside the doors of the Arena before it closes and as you look around hopelessly for a seat, you see a familiar face. Fred waves you over to a section in the middle of the Arena and he's seated with the other four from the Courier's Office. You scramble into the empty seat and he says, "Hey guys, this is Mika, she also just joined the Gym last night." A handful of others nod and wave in acknowledgement, but soon...

Everyone

The lights in the stands dim and a voice comes through the speakers, "Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the Dusk Island Arena!" A chorus of cheers erupt from the stands. Say what you will, these people are happy to be here. "Today, we have an event you've all been waiting for! Dusk Island Gym Leader Joan Darc," -Another roar of applause and cheers- "versus, the Challenger!" At this point you can see a man in a silver looking suit step up to the trainer's platform on the left and a woman with black, flowing hair step up to a similar platform on the right.

"Each will use two pokemon, that's right folks, two pokemon. An agreed upon wager of ^40,000 is at stake here." This drew a gasp from the crowd and many more eyes began to take in this challenger. "This is not a League match, the Challenger is not here for the Shadow Badge. We are here, for a SHOW!"

The Arena is marked off at 5 meter intervals and you can see that it's currently 40 meters long and 20 wide. Joan releases her two pokemon, what seem to be a pair of black dogs with demonic horns. The challenger releases his as well, a gargantuan snake that gleams with metal and a spinning ball of spikes that seems green beneath the iron plating. There's a flurry of movement as waves of people scan the mon's with their Pokedex's.

The black dogs go first and each charge towards the center of the arena, one with a howl, the other glimmering with an image of swords about it. The giant snake barrels forward as well, taking a small turn at the last second to better angle itself. The spiky ball had rolled forward too, but much more of it seemed to be covered in iron as if it were defending itself.

Some of you notice a large clock and can see that only seconds have passed by. The closer of the two black dogs then changes course and cuts across the path of the other. Those of you with keen eyes can even see that it's stepping a much more complicated pattern than it needs, as if it were showing off it's agility. For a split second, you see it's tail flicker to something larger, but then back to normal. The other dog lets out another howl and you feel the hairs on your arms prick up a bit. It keeps running strait but begins to turn at the last second. The massive snake is still moving and by the time it stops it's almost within reach of the dogs. The spike ball rolls forward tentatively, it seems to be the slowest of the bunch.

The first black dog speeds forward and comes to a stop just ahead of it's partner. Once again, it seems as if it's claws on the ground sound like swords. The other black dog slows to a stop and opens it's maw wide. You brace yourself for what you expect to be another howl, but instead a great gout of flame bursts forth from it's jaws. It flies at the spiky ball and on impact it blasts into a small explosion. As the flames clear, the ball is nothing more than melted slag and burnt off vines. "Ladies and gentlemen, please pause a mo-" the announcer is cut off by the giant snake's leap into the sky, and back down into the earth, right next to the black dogs. The ensuing earthquake shakes the teeth in your head, and people almost begin panicking. But as the dust clears you see what you're Dex is now telling you, that Joan released one Houndoom, which lay crumpled on the ground, and one Zoroark. The Ferrothorn must have still been alive, because the challenger recalled it as Joan recalled her knocked out Houndoom.

The Zoroark, heavily wounded, stands at it's full height and with a sudden movement it thrusts its fist towards the Steelix, sending a part of its Aura with it. There's a tension in the air that you can almost see, as the move misses the giant steel snake. In a single, smooth movement, the Steelix dodges the blast, and swings its tail around in a sweeping motion that brings its body to the other side of the fox like creature.

But the dark pokemon nimbly jumps the tail and throws a sneaky kick at the giant snake. It misses, however, and so the Zoroark uses the momentum to run. It's speeding towards the group of you and you can see its determination. You can also see the Steelix rise up and leap after the much smaller fox, its jaws wide. With a sound similar to steel on ice, it bits down on the Zoroark, leaving frosted fang marks.

"Stop! I concede! Zoey, return," Joan's voice cuts through the tense silence as her pokemon is returned. A glance to the clock reveals that all of this happened in just moments, but it feels like longer. Video screens everywhere are replaying the highlights and stats are flying across boards. Applause and cheers begin and soon reach a roar.

The anouncer has to wait a few minutes to be heard over the crowd, but he says, "And that, folks, is that! Please keep in mind that the Dusk Island Gym is accepting trainers and challengers alike, of almost any skill level. Go out and enjoy your day, and thank you for watching!"

It's now 9:15 AM. You five are free to do as you wish.
    Games GMed

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Smiling as the battle finishes, Blake says, "Hmm... that's actually not a bad idea. We're planning to head over to the gym now, right guys?" he asks Dave and Collin as they begin working their way towards the exit.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Everyone:
    As the crowds start draining out of different exits, Sarah and the other Gym Trainers lead you five through a maintenance passage and out into the alley beside the gym. "Little shortcuts like that are useful," Sarah says cheerily.

"Sarah," an older guy catches up with you and Mika recognizes him as Fred. "Joan's not gonna be happy with this loss, couple of us are going with her to the Center." He looks are the group of you, nodding towards Mika and Collin. "Hey guys, name's Fred. I'm one of the Senior Gym Trainers, responsible for excursions and basic duties. I'll get more time to talk to you later, I'm leaving you with Sarah for now." He turns back to her and says, "Ben and Cathy?"

"Ben and Cathy."

"Then...?"

"Andrew still has that pup, and the other one'll be happy with a stone," she says. She glances at Chuck and adds, "Nicole's been bored. If he wants to join she'll take him. Still got that 'krow hanging around."

"Good. Sounds like you've got it figured out. Don't forget to get numbers this time," Fred says. "If you're around when I come back, I'll see about duties. Take care." And with that he and about seven others head back into the Arena.

"Okay, I guess that leaves me in charge of you five, eh?" Sarah says with a little bit of nervousness in her smile. "First, you two have already passed initiation, we need your numbers." She registers Collin and Mika's P-Gear numbers before continuing. "The rest of you, into the gym. If you two are still interested in joining then we'll get you a battle set up."

As you enter the guy from earlier greets you and before anyone can tell him how it went, he touches his temple lightly and his smile disappears. "Close one, eh?" he says to Sarah.

"Yeah, Zoey almost had him," Sarah responded, apparently used to the psychic's ability. "Could you get Cathy out here, Ben? We got two new potentials and Fred gave the go ahead for a double. Probably inspired by that battle."

Ben nods and soon a woman enters the room and you can see the resemblance between them. Both short and thin, with flat noses and dull brown hair. Hers reaching her shoulders and his spiked. They lead you five into the battle room that both Collin and Mika have previously seen. "Okay," Cathy says. "To head off the questions: Yes, we're psychic twins. No, we will not be finishing each other's sentences."

"We won't?" Ben says with a smirk. She must have replied telepathically because he backed down right then.

She gestures to Blake and Dave, "One pokemon each, no items other than what they're holding. No trainer interference." The emphasis is aimed at Ben. They walk to the far side of the room and each release their pokemon. She a black and gray bird with a bone like shell still attached, and he a small grey and black puppy with yellow eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]X|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11
    A|X|X|X||Vu||Po||X|X|X
    B|X|X||||||||X|X
    C|X||||||||||X
    D|||||||||||
    E|||||||||||
    F|||||||||||
    G|||||||||||
    H|||||||||||
    I|X||||||||||X
    J|X|X||||||||X|X
    K|X|X|X||||||X|X|X[/table]

Vu-grey bird
    Po-grey puppy

You guys start at K5 and K7.

Chuck:
    (I have no idea what you want to do. If you're interested in joining the Gym as well, I can have someone fight you after this battle. If not, feel free to go back to whatever you wish to do. But this would be a good time to get someone's number if you wanted to go out training together or something.)

Collin and Mika:
    (You guys can get the scans in for what you haven't seen already, but if you don't wanna watch the battle you don't have to. Now that Sarah has you two registered you're free to go do whatever you want and if you're needed you'll be called.)
    Games GMed

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Nodding, Blake looks over at Dave and says, "Well, looks like another team-up for us. Should be interesting." Looking at the two opponents, Blake thinks for a moment before flipping out a Pokeball, releasing his Misdreavus. "Alright, Varen, let's go!"
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Chuck says, "Ma'am, I thank you for your offer, but I have no desire to join your gym whatsoever, as I am already a member of the Rangers. That said, a friendship would be of mutual benefit to both of us. If you don't mind, I will follow along to know your members better."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Chuck:
    Sarah looks at you in confusion for a moment before she seems to understand what you're talking about. "Yeah, we don't have a Ranger's Outpost here on Dusk Island. Laws are upheld by private security forces and general altruism." You can tell she's being sincere, in fact, thinking back on it, you haven't seen a single Ranger or police officer during your stay. "As for getting to know our members better, I'm sorry but the battle room is as far as you're allowed in. If you ever change your mind, or want to challenge Joan herself, feel free to stop by."
    Games GMed

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Collin will stick around long enough to scan the new 'mons then head out to acquaint himself with the city a little better. If anyone would like to join him, they are welcome to do so.

After a few minutes of wandering around aimlessly, he buys a couple more basic balls and stares at his map. Without a further word, he takes back past the Arena and straight beyond the museum to the entrance to the cave system indicated on the map.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

dave mutters to himself"ok dave you got this birds eat bugs remember" dave switches his hand to nosey's ball "Lets do this nosey!" the phanpy materializes at K7 trumpeting through its trunk. "does ^400 sound good for a wager?"

dave starts scanning the 2 pokemon
    Last edited by passinglurker; 2012-08-28 at 07:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    You find yourself at the well lit entrance to the caves of Dusk Island. A small guard's shack is just inside and an old man hands you a flashlight and an emergency beacon. "You get lost, you set off the beacon and we'll send someone in to get ya." After a few minutes the path curves hard to the right and you follow it along. Soon you come to a T. Right or Left?

It is now 11:30 AM. There is no map. You can roll a 1d100 for an encounter as of this point. Beware of Zubat.

Blake and Dave:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You both release your pokemon across from the others. Varen is fastest.

{table=head]X|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11
    A|X|X|X||Vu||Po||X|X|X
    B|X|X||||||||X|X
    C|X||||||||||X
    D|||||||||||
    E|||||||||||
    F|||||||||||
    G|||||||||||
    H|||||||||||
    I|X||||||||||X
    J|X|X||||||||X|X
    K|X|X|X||Va||No||X|X|X[/table]

Initiative:
    Va-Varen
    Vu-bird
    No-Nosey
    Po-puppy

Games GMed

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

on a 1 he goes left on a 2 he goes right - (d2)[1]

(d%)[59]

"Can do." Collin says as he heads in, humming some vague tune under his breath.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    You take the left path and you can see that it curves back and forth. There's a slight downward slope that's almost imperceptible. A couple of minutes more and you almost trip on a rock. Shining your light at it, you realize the "rock" has arms. And eyes. It's a pokemon!
    Games GMed

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey there buddy. Enjoy this cave?"cha - (d20-4)[3]

He scans it while he talks.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    The rock stares at you for a moment before using it's hands to run away. It has reached just the perimeter of your flashlight's reach. Will you chase after it, attack it, or let it go?
    Games GMed

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

"Sybaris, that is our new friend. He just doesn't know it yet." Collin says as he releases her.

"Give it a love-nip to convince it to come with us."

She very dutifully goes over and bites it. ac 2 flinch on 15-20 - (d20)[3]

dark physical - (2d8+24)[34]

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    Sybaris gets in a hard bite, but the rock holds her jaws wide open. It looks like it's struggling to keep the stalemate, right up until it brings it's body down hard on Sybaris, dealing 18 damage after defenses.
    Games GMed

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Infuriated, Sybaris feints one way before delivering a sneaky hit from the other.

faint attack, cannot miss

dark physical - (d10+25)[34]

Collin will then try to catch it on his turn gotta catch it - (d%)[68]

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    Your pokeball flies through the darkness and hits the rock squarely before bouncing almost perfectly up. Normally at this point the ball would make an attempt to contain the pokemon, but it does nothing and falls back to the ground unharmed. A closer look reveals that the Geodude, as your dex now informs you, is knocked out cold. The faint attack finished it off.

Sybaris gains 90 XP.
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2012-08-28 at 02:43 PM.
    Games GMed

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Collin picks up the pokeball and puts it back in his belt.

After poking the geodude, Collin will recall Sybaris and send out Ganga. "Well, Ganga, Syb was a little too rough with our new friend here and we'll have to heal him before he's ready to join us. Think you can take point as we continue deeper?"

Ganga wasn't too sure about this, but she grunts once and puts on a brave face as she takes up a position to Collin's right. She'll show her new master how reliable she could be. He'll come to depend on her so much she'll never be alone again. Maybe that scary mouth-thing he also has will even come to be her friend one day.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    You, Ganga, and the unconscious rock pokemon travel deeper into the depths. You come to a crossroad in the tunnels. The left and right paths sloping upward a bit and the middle continuing the descent. You keep going straight and follow your current path. All around you is cold rock and dirt. The path curves slightly to the left and soon there's another fork. Before you make a decision, you are sprayed with mud! Looking around frantically, your light eventually falls on another Geodude, coated in mud itself.

Geodude used it's turn. Your go.
    Games GMed

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ganga panics when she sees it splash around mud and runs up and bites it flinch on 15-20 - (d20)[6] physical dark - (2d10+20)[31]

If this one survives the hit and remains conscious, Collin will drop the geodude in his hands, trusting the rock to not be hurt by dropping it and throw a ball at this one. If it is also knocked out, he'll admonish Ganga "Look, dear, I know you're just enthusiastic, but I'd really like it if we don't take out potential friends in one blow. You're very strong, and that means you have to be more responsible than others."

(d%)[37]

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    In her excitement, Ganga bites the Geodude as hard as she can. It tries to slip away in the mud, but the attack connects and it passes out from the pain. Collin notices just in time to not throw the pokeball, and instead returns it to his belt.

Ganga earned 90 XP. Are you going left or right?
    Games GMed

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Collin will pick up both geodudes and try to decide which is heavier. He'll take the lighter one with him.

"Don't mean to just leave them here, but I can really only carry one at once. Bigger one is more likely to be able to fend for itself."

Feeling justified in why he's taking the lighter load, he'll continue on down the right.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collin:
    Collin collects the original Geodude and continues along his way. The dark caves offering echos and other sounds. There's a faint rustling of wings, but you don't see anything. A path opens up on your left, and just as you flick your flashlight down it a small, yellow ball rolls out at high speed. It hit's a slanted rock and bounces off the side of the cavern. It barrels through Ganga and comes to a stop on all fours just past your pokemon.

Summary: Surprise round, yellow ball hits Ganga for 6 damage after Defenses and is standing right next to her. Ganga's turn.
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2012-08-28 at 04:01 PM.
    Games GMed