Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

So, yes, those rituals allow you to summon earth elementals (specifically mudmen), hell hounds and Nightmares to your service. Doing so is difficult and expensive, but it might well be worth it.

(The Nightmare in particular, given that they're basically evil Pegasi that can breath fire. For when you need to get around in style.)
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    So, yes, those rituals allow you to summon earth elementals (specifically mudmen), hell hounds and Nightmares to your service. Doing so is difficult and expensive, but it might well be worth it.

(The Nightmare in particular, given that they're basically evil Pegasi that can breath fire. For when you need to get around in style.)
    Pegasi, Pegasi! The four horsemen on flaming steeds! I suppose I would be death or pestulence... Viktor or Kydrak would be war they could fight over it and Qint would be... Quint? Maybe famine since he could always project images of food in front of slow witted people and they would simply starve.
    A big shout out to myself for the custom Thanatos Avvie... never again lol
    Is the proud owner of 7 cookies and 1.5 internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Benny Hill theme, firing terminal velocity zombies via portals, with your wife as backup.
    ... I'm pretty sure you win an internet. Maybe even two internets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

Red Wizard avvie by Kymme

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

The four evil magic horsemen on nightmares would be amazing. Kydrak would want to be war. But maybe we could all just be a combonation of all four.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    The four evil magic horsemen on nightmares would be amazing. Kydrak would want to be war. But maybe we could all just be a combonation of all four.
    Lol the two Wars could fight it out in a controlled contest... Quint could start the bets and Schtein could always revive the loser into a somewhat same state if an 'accident' occurs... We could also have a new group name other than our organization name: the four horsemen
    Benny Hill theme, firing terminal velocity zombies via portals, with your wife as backup.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh. The position of the Four Horsemen is already claimed. There's a temple to them on the third floor, after all (well, them and Vetra-Kali). But then, who am I to stop such ambitious blasphemy?

You do still have Boggard minions, but they've been left behind in the caves. That's the assumption I've been going with, anyway.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Heh. The position of the Four Horsemen is already claimed. There's a temple to them on the third floor, after all (well, them and Vetra-Kali). But then, who am I to stop such ambitious blasphemy?

You do still have Boggard minions, but they've been left behind in the caves. That's the assumption I've been going with, anyway.
    I was under the impression we had several assigned to come with us as per the request Schtein made before they went up... though we did spend a night upstairs... I think so they have left, but no worries we can gather up minions and start from the bottom up since we know where the two top ones are.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if you head off for the caves, we can get started on finding that last Eye. And then the proper meat of the adventure can begin.

Actually, I don't mind giving you some clues as to the larger adventure in advance. The ritual is going to take quite some time, and it is going to be attracting adventurers and general do-gooders to the Horn in an attempt to stop you. So start having a think about how to go about fortifying this place and being prepared to defend it from the assorted heroes.

Traps, minions, magical distractions, it's all possible. You have your own resources and the contents of that treasure vault to properly prepare. Best make use of them.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you head off for the caves, we can get started on finding that last Eye. And then the proper meat of the adventure can begin.

Actually, I don't mind giving you some clues as to the larger adventure in advance. The ritual is going to take quite some time, and it is going to be attracting adventurers and general do-gooders to the Horn in an attempt to stop you. So start having a think about how to go about fortifying this place and being prepared to defend it from the assorted heroes.

Traps, minions, magical distractions, it's all possible. You have your own resources and the contents of that treasure vault to properly prepare. Best make use of them.
    ...Well if being Canadian has ever taught me anything is that borders are impregnable when you have the ulmighty orange pylon guarding it! (At one point this is what we had at a couple of border crossings between the US and Canada )
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

9. - Top - End - #339

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah, I definitely have started thinking about defenses. We need to look at our weaknesses and how we would attack this place if we were a group of mid-level do-gooders.

10. - Top - End - #340

SwashbucklerGuy

In the words of the 10th Doctor Who, "Allons-y!"

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

So yeah. Not that part of the caves - it just looks unnatural because it's where the cult hid the staircase up towards the Sanctum. And yes, without flight or teleportation, the only way to reach the Sanctum is to go all the way down to the bottom of the mountain, and then climb about 400ft of a narrow spiral staircase.

My knees ache on your behalf.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

So then... grease would be invaluable for defending the stairs... maybe one can summon an angry gorilla to throw barrels down it, or a small fire elemental or two
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

13. - Top - End - #343

SwashbucklerGuy

Dude, a flaming grease trap with a barrel chucking infernal gorilla at the top! Not only will we be safe, we'll have produced the next blockbuster platformer game!

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Just some rolls, once again, no need for concern. Well, there might be some need.

(1d20+9)[21]

(1d4)[1]
    (1d4)[3]
    (1d4)[3]

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

And... Pit traps. How I love pit traps. Especially when filled with spikes.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

To clarify...

The pit trap there had a magical trigger, hence why it only collapsed in once everyone had stepped on it. If you pass the DC20 reflex save, you take no damage as you avoid falling in all-together.

Morbis, did you roll at all there? I can't see the dice roll anywhere. And shush, I can never remember the difference between Stalactites and Stalagmites...

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Redundant Save (1d20+2)[10]

Officially dead -11

Though to be fair a 30 ft fall takes 9 seconds for someone to fall down therefore we'd get a full round action before we hit the ground.
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-09-13 at 05:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

You only die once your negative hit points are equal to your constitution in Pathfinder. Schtein has at least a few rounds left.

And a 30ft fall is about 9m. You hit the ground in about a second, assuming average earth gravity.

19. - Top - End - #349

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor rolling Reflex
    (1d20+6)[24]

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

You only die once your negative hit points are equal to your constitution in Pathfinder. Schtein has at least a few rounds left.

And a 30ft fall is about 9m. You hit the ground in about a second, assuming average earth gravity.
    meh don't overly care we got railroaded into this so I am backing out
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

...the ****? It's a room with a pit trap. You went to go investigate the room, searching for traps along the way. Only Victor had a perception score high enough to actually spot it (it was DC25), since natural 20's don't auto-pass skill checks. I tested for him in the above post, and he failed, so you got caught by the pit trap.

The trap is designed so that it activates a few seconds after you've entered, so as to get more possible targets. Which is common for any trap that actually wishes to hit more than one target.

And you're calling railroading, Morbis? After I specifically told you in PMs that it was deeply unlikely this would kill you, due to the presence of certain allies? After I altered the elemental in the sanctum so that it could be bypassed by Quint's Roleplaying, even though the written adventure has it attack on sight? Seriously?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

One Victor for one hinted at going to see this room, the DC's to find this trap were frankly rather absurd and all in all who really cares? You can argue all you want in my opinion you still unfairly screwed us and that doesn't sit well with me. My character is basically dead since they have no accessible means to stabilize or heal him. Hell when he is out I am sure Kydrak would stab him or one of his skeletons would so they could have their freedom. That aside, good luck and have a good remainder of the game guys the rping was fun while it lasted
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a play by post game, if I go through two or more posts each time confirming that you absolutely want to go somewhere you were interested in going, it will slow the game down to a crawl. Victor had been going from location to location searching for the Eyes, so when he mentioned checking the cave next, I figured you were going. And because up until this point you've all been moving together, i treated you as still being, well, all together.

The absolute base perception DC for a pit trap in the rules is 20. Raising it to 25, as it's written in the adventure, increases the CR by one. That's not that extreme, especially given that this is a sixth level party, and the reflex save for avoiding it stays at the default 20.

Schtein is not dead. Hexor and Vexor have dimension door at will, and Zikomo has Stabilise, and they all have valid reasons for keeping you alive. I would not make your created and summoned creatures attack you, and I doubt Kydrek would simply murder you here on a whim.

It matters because I care about being a decent GM. And when my players complain about the game and quit, I want to understand why so that I can correct it in future. In this case, though, you are quitting because of a single pit trap, which I just do not get.

24. - Top - End - #354

SwashbucklerGuy

For the record, I wasn't perturbed by the trap, even before I passed my roll. It happens. We have potions. No biggie.

I'd hate to see you go, dude, but I think you're blowing this a little out of proportion.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

He has 2 rounds to live if you don't include skeletons falling on him, so he is essentially dead without DM fiat so it does not matter if I bow out anyway since he is going to die. Regardless of how you feel I am reacting, I am still backing out, you may feel like I am over reacting, others think that this was a pretty lame move (I usually ask people to make sure I am not over reacting)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

26. - Top - End - #356

SwashbucklerGuy

In what world are you dead? There is a companion right next to you with a dozen healing potions on him.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razorstorm View Post
    In what world are you dead? There is a companion right next to you with a dozen healing potions on him.
    They are all cure light wound potions, Schtein is a dhampir, they would finish him off, secondly you passed so you didn't fall into the trap thus you are not down there with him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Technically, Schtein is harmed by healing potions due to being half-vampire. Hence why I pointed out Zikomo and his Stabilise spell. Hexor and Vexor do know where you are, since they've been following you on the hunt for the Eyes. Hell, they fell in as well, and just happen to be tough enough to not be in any serious danger.

But very well, if you won't change your mind, we can leave Schtein as being dead. I'll put up a recruiting replacements thread soonish. Probably for two or three people, since we lost a couple before now as well. They can be sent along by Thorn as reinforcements for you once you've found the other Eye and started on the ritual etc.

29. - Top - End - #359

I want to say how disappointed I am with Morbis. This has been the best pbp game I've ever played and a lot of that is down to mine and his pointless arguments at every oppurtunity. And leaving because of one trap? Thst just seems ridiculous. I really thought we had a shot at playing a really god pbp, but that obviously wasn't Morbis's idea.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Be that as it may, can Kydrak make his save, please? It'll be needed to work out if you'll have to use up some potions.