Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

So, the longshot worked. Hope you don't mind me posting what I just did Maugan - I think it's a reasonable window into what happened without giving too much away - for now. If you want me to change it or delete though, I can.
    Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

I won. Not sure what though.

Overwhelming emotion count (now with additional awe): 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>
    Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    I also look forward to playing with you, especially Snowfire, who I've played with before and is awesome.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

So no dark elf head on a spike. Pity... it really would have brought my room together. Along with a ring of elven ears, a carpet made of tanned elf skin and a cushion stuffed with elf guts inside.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    So no dark elf head on a spike. Pity... it really would have brought my room together. Along with a ring of elven ears, a carpet made of tanned elf skin and a cushion stuffed with elf guts inside.
    Heh.

Loving the reactions to Ilvaria's quasi-resurrection. So we've got...one "how the **** did you just do that", two "well done's", one "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS", and a "darn, I wanted a corpse wardrobe".

Fun
    Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

Spoiler
    Show

<struck dumb>
    I also look forward to playing with you, especially Snowfire, who I've played with before and is awesome.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Bit of summarization there, as the Horn is properly repaired and outfitted by the Baron's hirelings (he will be having you pay for the work, though, using money from the vault). We're just about ready to begin the ritual now, I think.

Oh, here's a question. The pit traps, what option would you like:
    - Live capture, where victims are dropped into holding cells but otherwise mostly unharmed.
    - Lethal, where the cells are filled with spikes.
    - Sadistic, where the cells are reinforced with solid lower sections and the spikes are also submerged in acid from the caves.

I'll let you know the full extent of your available facilities later.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

5. - Top - End - #575

MindFlayer

Why would we bother outfitting the torture chambers if we didn't want them alive? My vote goes for nonlethal. Also, Buddy can only eat freshly deceased souls so keeping a steady supply of prisoners makes economic sense too.

I'll go ahead and make some a crafting roll for turning Hal's bonded item into a Ring of the Cacodaemon. The ring will let Hal interrogate Jurak once a day via the soul gem Buddy just created, which I think will be fun and help us potential guardian monsters. If people want to start placing requests for items again, Victor and Hal can make a list. For the headbands, can people suggest where they want the skill ranks.

Crafting:
    Spoiler
    Show
    7,500gp and 8 days of crafting, DC23: (1d20+24)[33] (with crafter's fortune and adaptable luck)

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

OK. Just a bit of totaling up here.

Initial funds from the vault: 45,000 GP
    Ring of the Cacodaemon - 7,500
    6,000 gp to repair the pit traps and set them to automatic resets.
    1,300gp to refurbish the torture chamber (it presently holds one individual at a time. More may be held by spending the money again.)
    1,000gp refits the tavern and provides general provisions
    1,500gp provides furniture for the entire Horn.
    800gp for a scroll of Stone to Flesh

There's probably others I'm missing, but for now you have 27,000gp left in the vault.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    OK. Just a bit of totaling up here.

Initial funds from the vault: 45,000 GP
    Ring of the Cacodaemon - 7,500
    6,000 gp to repair the pit traps and set them to automatic resets.
    1,300gp to refurbish the torture chamber (it presently holds one individual at a time. More may be held by spending the money again.)
    1,000gp refits the tavern and provides general provisions
    1,500gp provides furniture for the entire Horn.
    800gp for a scroll of Stone to Flesh

There's probably others I'm missing, but for now you have 27,000gp left in the vault.
    I'd like a load of Ioun stones to put on my face. It will look so cool and I'll become a lot better.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    I'd like a load of Ioun stones to put on my face. It will look so cool and I'll become a lot better.
    I think we would all improve with Ioun stones in our faces.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

9. - Top - End - #579

MindFlayer

Which types of Ioun Stone do you want? We can craft a Dusty Rose for 2500gp. I don't know if you're allowed to craft cracked or flawed ioun stones, but those would allow you a greater number if that's what you're going for.

While the workers are there Hal stays gives orders that none are to put anything in the High Priest's Chambers where he will be working, they can leave the furniture outside the door and he'll bring it in himself. Hal is sure these 'workers' are Elise's spies.

Weekly Stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hal's focus will be on learning how to summon the Nightmares. He'll ask Ezra about it on one of the evening when they play go or chess on the balcony.

As part of the weekly routine Hal, Buddy, and whoever else can hunt in Caer Byr. Hal doesn't want to be cooped up in the caverns constantly and Buddy gets hungry for souls. Its like taking his dog for a walk, enjoyable for both of them. Hal wants to explore the jungle and find possible resources/enslavable monsters but a secondary goal is getting souls for Buddy to reduce the prices of crafting. On that vein, would Kydrak be killing these elves as a personal thing or would he let Buddy eat their souls? 1/day for 100gp each for four elves would balance out the price of a cracked blue rhomboid. On the subject of generating funds, did the Baron mention empty manor houses that we can loot? That diamond cave, can we assess its worth?

Do people want to call a preliminary War Room to discuss defences for the ritual. Ezra warned that the Horn will start to radiate magical energy so we have no reason not to expect interlopers. Do we want Ezra and the daemons there too? Kydrak should probably avoid Ezra, but if they both understand its the War Room we should be fine

Spoiler
    Show
    We have a pair of daemons which can dimension door at will, and a priest who can phase through walls. Seems to me that a series of hit and run types of attacks would serve us well. Catching intruders off-guard then falling back has the advantage that casters may expend combat buffs that will have expired by the time we strike again. This would work best if we use the first level as a trap. Construct additional walls to make it more of a labyrinth then have Hexor and Vexor transport the group around for surprise attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another thing worth trying is division traps. Those entry hallways on all three levels are long enough that they can be closed off at various places by portcullises that we trigger manually. Automatic traps aren't as worthwhile since they'll be more expensive. Having a trigger mechanism for a trap in an adjacent room and installing "peepholes" to view the hallway will be perfect if that room is used as a staging ground for the counterattack as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Coordinating spell prep. Combo-ing spells can be vicious if done well so why not have our characters be familiar enough with each other's spells to plan accordingly. Kin has those scary-good fireballs that target reflex, so Hal will try and lower those saves. Kydrak and Victor buff up before combat so why not ask the one of the daemons to teleport them behind the enemy once the main group has their attention. Dimension door only stops the caster from acting that turn, not the people he brought with him. On this vein, I bring up summoned monsters and undead. It was just demonstrated that we are extremely squishy, a few meatshields is worth having available. For the time being we can only animate skeletons and zombies of medium size or smaller, but at 8th both he and Ilvaria will be animating properly. For the time being, having a few people prep summon monster 3 seems worthwhile. Hexor, Vexor, and Ezra are too valuable to sacrifice in melee, the boggards too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Finally, roles. It would speed things up if we had an idea of who was going to do what. Hal has volunteered for crafting and trapmaking, as well as espionage. With her channeling, Ilvaria would make the best undead master, but having some healing scrolls in reserve is worthwhile too. Quint's spontaneous divinations are great for early warning systems, and Kin's truce with the Boggards can be used to handle Zikomo's tribe. What do you want your character's to do?

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

You will get time after the ritual has begun before the various assorted adventurers start investigating. Though it is good to see that you're taking it all seriously and preparing properly.

In any case, are people prepared to start the ritual? I can go ahead and post up the effects if you are, and we can get on to the proper timetable for the mission as a whole.

11. - Top - End - #581

MindFlayer

As much as I'm sure a lot of our characters won't be comfortable with our current situation, I say start. Even though Hal would prefer having time to convert the Horn into a fortress and cultivate a herd of ghouls, he'll publicly express a desire to begin the ritual as a way of gaining Ezra's trust.

As for me taking it seriously, this is a chance to use some of the traps and tactics that, as a DM, I always thought were too unfair to use against my players. Opportunities like this don't come around very often.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-14 at 07:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Start. Also, Ilvaria's channel isn't negative energy. It's Infernal

Spoiler
    Show

<struck dumb>

13. - Top - End - #583

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm going to craft a Headband of Intellect, and a Belt of Dexterity.

What skill should I imbue the headband with? The ranks override my own, so some don't make sense. Here's a few I thought might:
    Diplomacy - since I seem to be the reasonable one :-)
    Stealth - For ambushing/sniping
    Bluff - I only have 1 rank

Any other suggestions?

I imagine my role being that of a striker. Initially he'll snipe at intruders from peep-holes, setting off traps as well. When the time comes, he then moves to be a direct combatant, hopefully fully buffed.

I'll plan on also taking Leadership, too. I'm thinking of taking a sexy she-assassin (rogue) as my cohort, but I'm open to suggestions. Or maybe a full-leveled gunslinger? Together we'd make a cool strike force.

14. - Top - End - #584

SwashbucklerGuy

Also, where can we see everyone's spellbooks? My character sheet is linked from the front page (as well as Kydrak and Quint), but where are those for the new folks?

15. - Top - End - #585

MindFlayer

Hal's Sheet

Maugan, if you get the time, could you please edit the first post to include our sheets and the links to the maps? Can we edit the maps?

Hal was looking at Leadership too. He's thinking about taking in a youth from the Baron's orphanage and grooming him into a daemonical cleric/oracle with Buddy and Ezra's help, but he'll take what he can get. An extra source of healing certainly won't hurt.

At Razorstorm:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hal's happy to craft whatever Victor needs help with. You can have free reign of the Armoury and Alchemy Lab though, Hal will use the library attached to the high priest's chambers as his workshop. I'll suggest not combining the two abilities on the cloak. Vest of Resistance +2 and Cloak of Elvenkind (2000gp + 1250gp) will be cheaper than having to pay 1.5x for combining them. Also, I don't know what you did to get the price on Eyes of the Eagle so low; what bonus are you aiming for because the value seems to be between the cost of a +3 and a +4?
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-14 at 09:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

And... The ritual has begun. In style.

You all advance to level 7, receiving however much xp is necessary for you to do so. If you're taking leadership, design your cohorts and decide on whether you want to pool your minions with the other members of the knot (if not, tell me which feat you're taking instead). Name your new spells that you receive, which includes 4th level magic.

And then, tell me what you're doing in the first week of the ritual. Because yeah, that's how long you have before the first inquisitive sorts show up. They probably won't be a problem, but you never know.

(I will particularly need to know who, if anyone, is reanimating undead, and where you're stationing them.)

Edit: Also, a knowledge (Arcana) check can be used to help analyse the magical leftover from the start of the ritual.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2012-10-14 at 09:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #587

SwashbucklerGuy

@Angstrom
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are so right about the Vest of Resistance! I totally didn't think of that! I'll edit appropriately.
    Re: Eyes of the Eagle - Stupid mistake, I divided the wrong thing by 1/2. I'll fix.
    Much thanks!

18. - Top - End - #588

MindFlayer

You guys get a new spell level while Hal is a caster level behind. On the up side, he now has a energy drain ability that lets him harvest fragments of his victims souls. As a result, he stresses that intruders should be captured alive. He ensures the pit traps are nonlethal for this purpose.

Hal will animate skeletons, but would like to have bows and arrows to equip them with. He'll ask Hexor and Vexor if they'll help him move bodies from the pit to the third floor when the time comes. For now he'll ask that whoever goes into town to liase with Elise and Arkov (someone probably should) to get a delivery of ~30 bows and several hundred arrows. Maybe some tower shields and longspears too. For renovations, Hal would like to destroy the paths leading up to the entrances and replace them with trapped drawbridges. For this his skeletal workforce will require picks and shovels. If anyone would like to use the ranks from their headband and the armoury on the first level for making the required gear that would be great. Let's say he only animates three skeletons in the first week and has them working on moving the furniture into his rooms and carrying rocks up to the second level entrance for building a wall.

Each day, Hal uses the speak with dead ability of his ring (DC16 will save) to converse with Jurak asking questions about the treant's friends and family as well as about the Caer Byr. He is in no rush to gain any information in particular.

1st Week Crafting: 3xHeadbands of Vast Intelligence
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+24)[34]
    (1d20+24)[30]
    (1d20+24)[36]
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-14 at 10:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #589

SwashbucklerGuy

Rolling HP
    (1d4+2)[3] (+2 is from Con)

20. - Top - End - #590

SwashbucklerGuy

Spellcraft Crafting rolls

Headband of Intellect +2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+19)[35] (+5 from Crafter's Fortune)

Belt of Dexterity +2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+20)[23] (+5 from Crafter's Fortune, and increased Int from Headband)

Basically can't fail...

21. - Top - End - #591

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor is updated for level 7, but his caster level is only 6, so no level 4 spells yet. I'm holding off picking spells until I can peak at the team's spell books.

He'll use his Headband's skill on Diplomacy.

I took Leadership as my feat. I'll pool my resources with the team. Still would appreciate some advice on the cohort.

22. - Top - End - #592

SwashbucklerGuy

Leadership Score
    10 = 7 (level) +1 (Charisma) +2 (base of operations - I assume)
    Tell me if any other modifiers apply.

My cohort should be level 7, and 5 followers, yes?

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, to start with, can you copy your character sheet across to this thread? The old recruitment thread will get deleted at some point, and we don't want to lose your entire sheet over it.

Cohort wise, you've got a choice. You can either go for someone that compliments your own ranged approach, maybe a ranger, or someone to cover your weaknesses and engage the Melee-based enemies before they can reach you. A bodyguard either way would be decent for a relatively fragile character.

Cohorts are going to be level 5, since they can't be stronger than two levels below your PC. Exact numbers of followers are irrelevant, as we'll use the aforementioned system for handling them - just decide where you want to put your single point (from charisma) into it. Ruthless, Survivability, etc.

24. - Top - End - #594

SwashbucklerGuy

Ah, good point about the level! I've never used Leadership before, so this is new territory for me. I think I'm going to go with a melee rogue/fighter, who will become either an assassin, Shadowdancer, or Red-mantis Assassin (I'll figure it out with some research. If you have any opinions, I'm open). She'll be our lurker.

Put my point into Espionage.

And spells are updated.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

No Red Mantis Assassin. They're too god and setting specific for this game. Otherwise, a rogue would do well, as would a fighter. Multiclassing the two would be a bit odd, but not entirely impossible.

26. - Top - End - #596

SwashbucklerGuy

I present Victor Revilon, spellslinger extraordinaire!

BACKGROUND
    Spoiler
    Show

Victor is a Chelaxian sent to the Korvosa Acadamae by his wealthy family. His parents are rather absorbed in their own political and financial machinations back home, and can't really be bothered with their son. As a young boy, he showed extreme talent in regards to mathematics, and complex thought, and his parents indulged him with the best tutors. They sent him to the Acadamae to support his talents and, moreso, to keep him out of their hair.

He got his hands on a firearm that his father received as a gift from a political courtier, but had no interest in, and took it with him. He became obsessed with the mysteries of black powder, but found very few resources open to him, even at the Acadamae. When he was approached by an imp that offered to help him get his hands on the rare knowledge, he quickly agreed. The imp lead him to the Asmodean cult, and he has found them a group that matches his own leanings. He has since plunged deep into the world that melds magic and technology, and he is equally talented with each, both a tinker and a mage. He is very ambitious when it comes to his research, and he will not hesitate to manipulate, steal, or even kill to get his hands on the next rare text.

APPEARANCE
    Spoiler
    Show

Victor excudes upper class. He has well-kept long black hair that he pulls back, and a crisply trimmed goatee. He has dark brown eyes that tend to linger on one thing at a time, dissecting it. His skin is naturally fair, without an ounce of tan, clearly someone who spends most of his time indoors. He has an easy-going attitude, but always a touch of smug condescension. His clothes are immaculately kept and his fashion is up to date. He usually wears trousers, high leather boots, a nice white shirt, and a long red coat with a tall stand-up collar, and gold trim. He always wears his many-pouched holster belt. He is well spoken, with a distinct Chelaxian accent.

BUILD
    Spoiler
    Show

Victor Revilon
    NE Human Mechanist Gunslinger 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 6
    Level 7 38,180/51,000

BAB +4
    HP 42
    AC 14
    Touch 14
    Flat-Footed 10
    Initiative +5
    Fort +7
    Ref +9
    Will +8

Attacks
    Arcane Pistol+1 1d20+8 1d8+1 x4 (misfire 1)
    Mwk Arcane Musket 1d20+8 1d12+0 x4 (misfire 1-3)
    Scimitar +4 1d6 18-20/x2

Str 10 +0 0
    Dex 18 +4 10 (+2 from Belt of Dexterity)
    Con 14 +2 5
    Int 22 +6 10 (+2 from Headband of Intellect)
    Wis 8 -1 -2
    Cha 12 +1 2

59 total
    Skills Ability Total Ranks Ability Mod Class Skill Misc
    Acrobatics Dex +15 8 +4 +3
    Disable Device Dex +17 8 +4 +3 +2
    Know (Engine) Int +17 8 +5 +3 +1
    Perception Wis +10 8 -1 +3 (+1 if finding traps)
    Bluff Cha +5 1 +1 +3
    Craft (Alchemy) Int +12 4 +5 +3
    Intimidate Cha +8 4 +1 +3
    Know (Arcana) Int +16 8 +5 +3
    Climb Str +4 1 +0 +3
    Spellcraft Int +16 8 +5 +3
    Know (Religion) Int +8 1 +5 +3
    Diplomacy Cha +9 8 +1 +0

Feats
    Gunsmith*
    Point Blank Shot (+1 att/+1 dmg 30 ft)
    Rapid Reload (Pistol reload move)
    Scribe Scroll*
    Rapid Shot (Full attack, +1 shot, -2 att)
    Deadly Aim (-1 att/+2 dmg)
    Craft Wondrous Item*
    Leadership

Abilities
    Grit (5)
    Trapfinding
    Deeds
    Engineering Knowledge is Power (swift +2 gun dmg, spend 1 grit +4)
    Arcane Gun (Two allowed, x2 crit, gun spells add +1 to Att/DC)
    Magic Bullets (swift, swap spell to add enhancements to gun, 1 min/spell level - Dancing, Defending, Distance, Flaming, Flaming Burst, Frost, Ghost Touch, Icy Burst, Merciful, Seeking, Shock, Shocking Burst, Thundering, Vicious, Wounding)
    School of the Gun (Abjuration, Illusion, Enchantment, Divination are all opposition)

Deeds
    Deadeye (Touch AC at long range, Cost 1 grit/range increment past 1st)
    Matter over Mind (+1 to Will vs Spells, min 1 grit)
    Quick Clear (Fix gun as standard action, min 1 grit, Cost 1 grit to fix as move action)

Traits
    Reactionary (+2 Initiative)
    Mechanical Prodigy (+1 Know Engineering, Disable Device)

Favored Class (Wizard)
    Skill 6

Gear 16 Weight
    Spellbook
    Purchased spells
    Arcane Pistol +1
    Mwk Arcane Double-barreled Musket
    Scimitar
    Wand of Shield (45)
    Scroll of Floating Disk
    Scroll of Unseen Servant
    Scroll of Disguise Self
    Scroll of Invisibility
    Lesser Rod of Elemental metamagic (Acid)
    Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
    Backpack
    Gunsmith kit
    Bullets 86
    Blackpowder 117
    Powderhorns (2)
    Alchemical paper cartridge 19
    Alchemist Fire 2
    Thieves Tools
    Components pouch
    Waterskin
    Headband of Intellect +2 (Diplomacy 8 ranks granted)
    Belt of Dexterity +2
    Vest of Resistance +2

Spell Level Spells/day DC
    1st 5 16
    2nd 4 17
    3rd 3 18
    4th 2 19

Spells Known
    Spoiler
    Show

1st Level
    Detect Magic*
    Read Magic*
    Mage Armor
    Abundant Ammunition
    Unseen Servant
    Burning Hands (gun)
    Ear-piercing Scream
    Shocking Grasp
    Floating Disk
    Ray of Sickening (gun)
    Burning Disarm
    Crafter's Fortune
    Fabricate Bullets
    Longshot
    Grease
    Mount
    Ray of Enfeeblement (gun)
    Vanish
    Magic Weapon
    Summon Monster I
    Magic Missile
    Shield
    Identify
    Resistance
    Protection from Good
    Feather Fall
    True Strike

2nd Level
    Scorching Ray (gun)
    Masterwork Transformation
    Cat's Grace
    Glitterdust
    Knock
    Reloading Hands
    False Life
    Blindness/Deafness
    Gust of Wind (gun)
    Detect Thoughts
    Invisibility
    See Invisibility
    Mirror Image
    Bull's Strength
    Eagle's Splendor
    Levitate
    Web
    Fox's Cunning
    Summon Monster II
    Bear's Endurance
    Protection from Arrows
    Acid Arrow
    Blur

3rd Level
    Lightning Bolt (gun)
    Fly
    Summon Monster III
    Haste
    Phantom Steed
    Slow
    Ray of Exhaustion (gun)
    Fireball
    Invisibility Sphere
    Nondetection
    Displacement
    Cloak of Winds
    Windwall
    Chain of Perdition
    Clairaudience/Clairvoyance

4th Level
    Dragon's Breath
    Dimension Door

Default Memorized Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

1st Level
    Mage Armor
    Grease
    Burning Hands (gun)
    Shocking Grasp
    Ray of Enfeeblement (gun)

2nd Level
    False Life
    Glitterdust
    Scorching Ray (gun) x2

3rd Level
    Lightning Bolt
    Fly
    Haste

4th Level
    Dragon's Breath
    Dimension Door
    Black Tentacles
    Stone Shape

Last edited by Razorstorm; 2013-01-14 at 12:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597

SwashbucklerGuy

Fair on the Red-mantis. Thanks! She'll probably just be straight Rogue.

28. - Top - End - #598

SwashbucklerGuy

As we're building defenses, I want to add lots of perches or "murder holes" where I can snipe from.

How would explosive traps be handled? Something more powerful than alchemist fire.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

On the map, where you see an entry hallway to a level flanked by guard rooms, there are also murder holes in the walls. There's usually a half wall at the end as well, which can help form a natural bottleneck. Attackers are slowed and held in the corridor, while troops in the guard rooms fire on them.

As for an explosive trap, making a proper bomb should be possible with an alchemy lab. The question is, where would you put it, and how would you trigger it?

(Likewise, how would you prevent your own forces triggering it by accident)

30. - Top - End - #600

MindFlayer

You might want to try fireworks. They inflict good status effects and can be triggered from a distance.

The Skyrocket would be effective en masse. Deployed next to the armoury on the first floor or next to the holding cell on the second, facing the bend in the hallway, they would be manually lit to fire horizontally. Impacting the wall they would detonate (not clear as written but makes some sense) and deal damage and status. The way I see this happening is that you cast resist energy (at 7th lvl it nullifies 20pts or fire damage) on a melee fighter, probably Kydrak, and put him at the halfwall to bait the trap. When they get close enough to engage him, someone starts launching skyrockets, one per turn. As written, you only risk being blinded or deafened if you take damage so Kydrak would be immune, which would let him capitalize in melee on his blinded/deafened opponents.

Alternatively you just set them up to all fire at once and inflict decent damage.

The Starfountain I envision set up by digging out a hole in the floor and putting a false floor overtop that will depress if anyone puts pressure on it. The pressure breaks a vial of alchemist's fire that was clamped beneath the false floor, which then ignites the coiled fuse leading to an eruption 1d6 rounds later. I figure that if the alchemist's fire is deployed properly it could shorten the ignition time. To really add kick, have portcullises fall at the same time as the fountain erupts to trap intruders in its area of effect.

The fountain is great because even a rogue stands a chance of failing one out of four reflex saves. The blinded lasts long enough for the party to incinerate them with spells or a company of skeletal archers to fill them full of arrows. The deafened hurts their casters so even if they somehow manage to escape, they'll be weakened.

An entirely separate thing worth considering is tunnelling beneath the hallways and installing reverse murder holes. This would allow a small character to sneak below and trigger Starfountains manually as well as allow, from an engineering standpoint, easier trapmaking. Same goes for excavating a passage above the hallways.

If you haven't noticed, Hal knows fireworks. He'll help make them if people want to try these traps. His main focus though is defending the sanctum. Neither our allies can't go there nor his familiar can enter the Sanctum so ensuring it doesn't get captured is his chief concern.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-15 at 01:54 AM.