Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post
    I wasn't sure. Ever since I saw this, I've wondered if making flawed ioun stones is a valid practice. If Hal can make flawed stones, then some of them are worth it. If he can't, we should stick with the headbands.
    I'd rather get a headband, but if we have headbands of vast intelligence, then we can't wear our iron circlets, and I really like mine.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post
    This is way overdue, so here goes. Party opinion obviously determines whether any of these get built.

1. Doorway from Hal's workshop (the library) to the landing that leads to the sanctum.
    2. Tubes for communicating between the sanctum, Hal's workshop, and the War Room.
    3. Doorway from the guardroom next to Hal's room to the landing.
    4. Close off the stairwell leading down to the boggard caves. The Moon Demonstrated that it is a potential liability for us. First though, we should check the length to see how the Dogs got in. I want to know if the mud-men were any use or if they just blasted through in one of the lower levels.
    5. In the guardroom leading to the landing, install a starfountain trap. Move the party of bloody skeletons up from the first level and have them guard the landing.
    6. On either side of the balcony on the third floor, create shelfs for skeletal archers. Install a brass gong for them to ring if they see anyone on either side. Fill each shelf with archers and wall them off so that only arrow slits remain.
    7. Depending on party opinion, more starfountain traps. The intersection of the three hallways on the second level, in front of the Fane of the Three-Eyed Prince on the third floor, and in the entrance hallways of the lower two floors all seem like good candidates.
    8. Portcullis over balcony entrance.

In terms of other stuff, can I get another list of crafting stuff from the group. Its difficult to recall exactly who got what already. Specifically Thattaman, what Ioun Stones are you after.

Two weeks = two more boggard actions to hunt beasts for our defences. Hal would like the organisation researching the Inquisitor. When is he arriving, how many does he bring with him, what tactics does he employ, etc.

Would one of the party goers like to help IC Hal receiving the information about Harkon? Preferably someone he trusts, relatively speaking, since he'd like a run down of what the witch and her pet baron were up to.
    *cackles in a slightly mad fashion*

Ahem. Sorry. Where was I?

An investigation of the stairwell reveals the hidden door at the bottom standing open. The Mud Elementals apparently weren't able to do anything, which suggests that the Moon Dogs were invisible at the time of their entry. Still, closing off the stairwell is a valid option, and quite easy to achieve with Stone Shaping.

I'm just waiting on IC posts of the revelations about the Inquisitor, because at present very few of you actually know about it. Then you can get to planning. Also, the interesting responses that Hal has been getting from his Commune spells.

EDIT: Also, fair warning, my internet has been playing up somewhat lately, so my responses are likely to be slowed. And in December, I have a job that demands twelve hour shifts, which I do not expect to leave me with a great deal of time for games. I'll do my best to keep going, but expect a bit of a slow down.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2012-11-17 at 05:41 AM.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

3. - Top - End - #873

MindFlayer

Weird that the mud elementals let them past. I had thought their tremorsense would have let them spot the dogs.

When Hal communed with Buddy's higher ups about Harkon he discovered that Harkon knows where we are, is bringing a group, and isn't planning on entering via the caves, the first level entrance, the second level entrance, or the balcony. That either means he doesn't have a plan yet, which Hal believes unlikely, or that he'll be coming in by some other way.

At Thattaman: the d20pfsrd leads me to believe you can have both a headband and a circlet.

4. - Top - End - #874

SwashbucklerGuy

Reyna will take guard duty during this time.

Victor is going to continue helping Hal develop the Horn. He wants to install some acid-spitting traps in addition to those starfountain traps, but he agrees with the locations. He's particularly concerned about the balcony, and how easily accessible it is to flying opponents, so he feels the portcullis is important there. He's also quite fond of his new Nightmare!

If he's not working on the Horn, he's working with Artephius, studying how he's built, in hopes of making more golems, and possibly enhancing him. He often has Artephius following him around the Horn as he does his rounds.

5. - Top - End - #875

For the next two weeks Kydrak tries to be more helpful than just killing elves in extremely painful ways. He lets Caldrel do that while he attempts to help Victor with Artephius the Golem and sees if any of his transmutation will work on it. And he even payed some attention to the traps, whilst working together, he tries to buddy up a bit more with Victor, knowing that if the party turn against each other, Quint annoys him and Ilvaria is definately not going to be his ally. But he and Victor had been slightly friendlier than he has been with any other person. He is not expecting the party to turn on each other, but with three new(ish) arrivals that he doesn't fully trust because he did not sign the same pact with them as he did with Victor, Quint and the late Schtein. Also, Ilvaria is elven and Hal doesn't worship Asmodeous, with Kin he is unsure about him. So Victor and he work together on some on the more mechanical parts on the horn.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, as a point - not that Kydrak may know this - Ilvaria at least signed the same contract as you lot. As in, the same bit of paper, with you signatures on it. Well...at least I presume so...

May have to ask the DM whose signatures she was actually signing besides...
    Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

I won. Not sure what though.

Overwhelming emotion count (now with additional awe): 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>
    Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    I also look forward to playing with you, especially Snowfire, who I've played with before and is awesome.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

*looks entirely innocent*
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    *looks entirely innocent*
    George, may I have pm confirmation of whose signatures where on that piece of paper? As you know that I - being Ilvaria - would have checked. It's even stated in the PM I believe.

So...give.
    Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

Spoiler
    Show

<struck dumb>
    I also look forward to playing with you, especially Snowfire, who I've played with before and is awesome.

9. - Top - End - #879

MindFlayer

If Kydrak wants he can have Hal's headband, the one that has ranks in craft trapmaking so he can help Victor and Ilvaria. Hal will craft another one and make a headband of inspired wisdom for Van too. I didn't spend all of her starting gold, so its not coming from the party treasury.

How were you planning on doing the spitting acid traps? Van can stoneshape reservoirs in the ceiling, but what was your trigger mechanism. I was also thinking we could stoneshape walls on the pit trap cells and fill those with acid, maybe spikes too. Not enough to drown but enough so that a prisoner is forced to hang from a railing or something. Enough to make trying to break out difficult.

If Kin is still looking for something to do, he could make up some scrolls of see invisibility. Those would certainly have been useful in that last encounter.

Finally, since we have nothing of value to us in the first floor, I was thinking of pulling back our minions and strengthening our guard in the sanctum. It takes way longer to go between the third floor and the sanctum than I thought, so having a couple party members living up there would be good too. One potential liability is that the throne in the first floor will still work. If someone who knows how to use it (Elise) attacks, its a pretty big weakness.

Starfountain Trap:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The idea to install them in key thoroughfares and area where we expect fighting is that, even if they aren't triggered by invaders, party members or allies can run over them (invisibly) and trigger the explosion while we hold them in the area. Installing them at bottlenecks where we can expect to hold attackers in melee is safer for this group than for most since its not like we'll ever actually be in melee.

260gp to make (assuming craft: alchemy checks succeed.)
    Trigger is loose floor-tile. Pressure on tile shatters vial of alchemist's fire, which ignites the fountain's fuse causing it to fire as immediately as we can make it. 4 rounds. 20ft spread, d6 fire damage, DC15 Reflex to half damage and prevent blindness for 1d4 rounds and deafness for 1hr.

10. - Top - End - #880

MindFlayer

So bloody skeletons will be made of the moon dogs and captured beasts (assuming there are bones left from the moon dogs), but first I was wondering if we could augment the hydra a bit. Assuming this is the standard five-headed variety, Hal would let have the Boggard hunters that captured it take those five heads as trophies and only kill/animate it once it has grown ten heads.

As a bloody skeleton it will be plenty dangerous. I'm thinking it would make a pretty suitable guard for the Sanctum. Its too large to guard 10ft hallways.

The Moon Dogs and Tazlwyrms will be bloody skeletized and kept alongside the hellhounds as pets/flanking buddies for Van.

Question about the first floor throne: is there a way to turn it off? If there isn't Van will wall it off with a stoneshaped shell that appears to be a daemonic statue. I may have missed this, but is there a throne on the third floor and another in the Sanctum? It would have come in handy during that last fight to teleport down to the third floor instead of charging down the stairs.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-11-21 at 07:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

You can cut up the Hydra enough to make it a 10-headed variety if you want.

There's no way to turn the Thrones off... well, there might be. But historically, messing with powerful magic that's built into the very structure of the temple around you tends to end badly.

There are thrones on the first, second and third floors. None in the Sanctum - with the modifications you made, the only way into the Sanctum is by entering that landing via the third floor and then walking up the stairs. Or flying up, I suppose.

12. - Top - End - #882

MindFlayer

10-headed door guard it is then. If the Sanctum is that isolated, then putting the hydra there is kind of a waste. Its still possible that invaders would just blast through the walls of the sanctum, but I'm doubting that will happen. Let's say the Hydra stands at attention in the third floor hallway, outside the War Room. Is it even possible for Hexor to carry it with dimension door?

Do people want Van to encase the first floor throne? We could always have Quint throw illusory walls over the dais instead. I'm sort of playing this out of sequence since Hal hasn't learned about Father Harkon, but when he does he's going to want to consolidate our forces as much as possible.

I should admit that, as a player, part of my justification for grouping all of our beasts together is that I want the next fight to be epic. The last couple fights were short, but for a backstory-relevant event like this, I'm tempted to set it up to be a major battle.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

We're a good week or two onwards now, past the meeting with the Baron. So Hal can have found out that Harkon is on his way... though the Inquisitor isn't here yet. You'll probably be able to kidnap Victor Darian before he shows up.

Also, I just realised that it's not a 'Throne' as such on the Third Floor, it's a ritual circle in the meditation chamber/war room. Which does help you with rapidly repositioning once you've worked out where the enemy are.

Anyway, feel free to make that IC post of Hal discovering that Harkon is inbound.

14. - Top - End - #884

MindFlayer

As part of knowing that Harkon is coming, Hal is going to opt out of kidnapping Darian. Harkon is the only thing that matters to him right now. Darian won't be needed until months from now, we'll have plenty more opportunities before then. Better to have him unaware of his importance. Anyways, as far as Hal's concerned Farholde should be treated as enemy soil so he'll be staying behind to guard the Horn. He half expects that Elise is setting us up anyways.

Does the circle let us teleport to anywhere we want or is it more about teleporting us en masse?

15. - Top - End - #885

If we're worried about one of the thrones being used against us, why not seal it off? Attackers will have no reason to suspect that there's something there, we could disguise it as a support pillar or, if it's near enough to a wall, just shrink the room a little.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

16. - Top - End - #886

I'll be away from internet over the weekend so I won't be able to post.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for letting me know.

Anyone planning to respond to Hal's doom pronouncement? I must admit, I am quite pleased with the reaction to Harkon being inbound. It's always nice to get some proper backstory significance involved in an encounter.

Beyond that, I'll assume you're concealing the first floor throne behind illusions. That leaves it open to you if you need to use it, while denying it to most enemies.

And are we still going for the kidnapping of Darian? I kinda need to know, one way or another. Hal is sitting out, but do the others want to still attempt it, or would you rather wait and try again another day?

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

I will do everything I can to get a response up at somepoint in the next two days. Sorry about this, attention has been heavily distracted by an internet charity event this last week.

Spoiler
    Show

<struck dumb>

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting suggested plan there. Fake a weakness, with the intent of luring them into an ambush. Unlike the previous set of adventurers, you'll be well served to prepare properly for this lot.

Also, specific ideas as to where you might set up the weak point? There are only so many ways into the Horn, after all. Remembering of course that you need to account for where your summoned outsiders and the like will be stationed as well.

Also, I can probably swap some dates around in-game, if we'd like to get the Inquisitor's visit concluded before a potential kidnapping attempt. Might be easier, to be honest.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup. This should be interesting. But OK, Hal and Van are in the workshop, which is presently marked as the burned library. The lightning scarred room would probably make for a decent stable for all the Nightmares, so for now I'll assume your hellish steeds are all kept there.

And the 1st floor teleporter covered in stone. Noted. Do you have any particular placement for Artephius? If not, I'll assume the golem stays with Hal.

21. - Top - End - #891

MindFlayer

I figured Artephius would still be with Kydrak and Victor. A PC or cohort should probably take up residence near the second level entrance just so the undead there have someone to command them. Near the capture cage.

22. - Top - End - #892

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor and Reyna are enjoying a break from guard duty/research with some dinner and a game of chess in the workshop, with Artephius against the wall.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

Alchemist's workshop, very well. I think most people were on the second floor, come to think of it - for sheer availability of rooms and the like. Hal just pinched Ezra's old room on the third floor to feel important

24. - Top - End - #894

I'm trying to get myself an avatar of what I think Kydrak looks like, if any of you do avatars then check the OOTS avatar thread please to see if you could make it. Anyway, you'll have a lot more information on his appearence once I get the avatar.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ettin in the Playground

And that will be quite interesting. Right now, though, I'm interested in where Kydrak and his brother spend their evenings. I remember you picked a room, but I can't remember if it was a specific one.

This is mostly for the sake of working out how fast different members of the group can respond to different events that are about to occur. Every round might very well count...

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razorstorm View Post
    Victor and Reyna are enjoying a break from guard duty/research with some dinner and a game of chess in the workshop, with Artephius against the wall.
    Actually, I just realised that the Alchemist's workshop is on the 1st floor. Having re-checked the maps and all that. So, be aware that at present, there are no guards on the 1st floor entrances (though said entrances are hidden behind illusionary walls), because they've been concentrated around the upper levels.

27. - Top - End - #897

Will post shortly, little busy atm but enough time to check-in.

Show

Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

28. - Top - End - #898

Those oozes got in through a crack in the wall, right? I'm thinking we widen it a bit then make an attempt at hiding it.

Show

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of the wall in the Master of Acolyte's room had collapsed, leaving a giant hole which the Oozes used for entry. That hole was sealed as part of the repair works you had done.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

And... this might very well hurt. Especially since Quint has been casting spells for a fair bit of today already.

This, incidentally, is why I was laughing madly at the architectural changes made to the Horn. Because with the stairwell to the caves closed off, there are precisely two ways down off the Third floor (and from the Sanctum, really). One is by cautiously climbing down the outside rock-face, which is difficult and takes time (or a prepared flight spell, which not everyone on the floor has available). The other is via the teleporter in the War Room. Which is... somewhat occupied right now.

There is, of course, now also a direct route which Harkon and his crew can take from the third floor to the Sanctum.

I will note ahead of time that yes, this was pretty much always going to happen. That your defense plans and preparations have left you weirdly vulnerable to it is coincidence. And if you survive, how exactly this was achieved can probably be determined and prevented from happening again. You just have to, well, survive first.

So. Onwards. And may not all of you die...