Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    With the archetype I'm using, I can convert spells of the same level to divination. That's basically how I did the whole clairvoying stuff. So detecting secret stuff isn't a problem. Just be aware that the more I do that, the less use I'll be in fights. I've already burned up the only major offensive spell I had ready for today.
    Don't worry about it, I have three burning hands, two firebreaths and two a fireball, aswell as a load of transmutaion spells and a longsword. I just prepared for a fight up the stpes of the horn. If I knew there were so many minions I might have got suggestion.

2. - Top - End - #212

Alrighty then, done a sweep of the room with Magic Vision (TM). I doubt I'll be back on a computer again later, so if somebody else could take over as and when it's necessary. My prepared spells (including used spells, these will be struck out) are as follows:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells, spells, spells:

Level 0 - Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost

Level 1 - Windy Escape x1, Silent Image x1 (One converted into a Detect Secret Doors spell), Vanish x1, Colour Spray x1

Level 2 - Minor Image x1, Mirror Image x1, Gust of Wind x1, Hypnotic Pattern x1

Level 3 - Invisibility Sphere x1, Lightning Bolt x1 (Converted to Clairvoyance), Displacement x1

Woo, max damage for the wand!
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-08-29 at 04:38 AM.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

With that roll, Quint realizes that these are Verderous Oozes. They are likely immune to any sort of illusion magic that relies on sight, have no real minds to influence, and cannot be polymorphed.

Crucially, he remembers that they are not only immune to piercing and slashing damage, but acid and fire as well.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, here's the map to the Horn of Abaddon, Level One. All the chambers are labelled.

The prison and cage, notably, connect up to the currently disabled pit trap in the entrance to level 2. The cage itself is currently busted up, but with repair to it and the trap, anyone who tries getting in the second level would fall straight into a prison cell. Which could concievably be fitted with either spikes or an acid bath, if you're not interested in living captives.

If you are, it's conveniently adjacent to the torture chamber.

The map of the second level will be completed as soon as I can get it done.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    Don't worry about it, I have three burning hands, two firebreaths and two a fireball, aswell as a load of transmutaion spells and a longsword. I just prepared for a fight up the stpes of the horn. If I knew there were so many minions I might have got suggestion.
    Dear god I think we are really really screwed against these ooze lol Between all our our spell lists these buggers are immune to everything we can throw at them.... well hopefully they are not immune to strength drain and maybe our gracious DM will allow us to be creative in doing damage... maybe take a penalty to attack to hit them with a flat of the blade like an improvised club? Thankfully we have a gun mage, hooray for bludgeoning bullets!
    A big shout out to myself for the custom Thanatos Avvie... never again lol
    Is the proud owner of 7 cookies and 1.5 internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Benny Hill theme, firing terminal velocity zombies via portals, with your wife as backup.
    ... I'm pretty sure you win an internet. Maybe even two internets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

Red Wizard avvie by Kymme

6. - Top - End - #216

Kind of figured you couldn't fool an ooze with an illusion, immune to fire is going to be fun though. Don't tell me that none of you prepared magic missile?

Show

Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Kind of figured you couldn't fool an ooze with an illusion, immune to fire is going to be fun though. Don't tell me that none of you prepared magic missile?
    Nope... i don't even have it on my spell list... at least one of them is sickened!
    Benny Hill theme, firing terminal velocity zombies via portals, with your wife as backup.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

8. - Top - End - #218

Thinking about it, can we find a pit or something to temporarily trap them in? I'd prefer not to be the one to be dealing all the damage while it slowly munches through us.

Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry forgot to bring my portable hole XD OH! If it fell into one could I seal it up then throw the hole at an enemy later so I throw the ooze at it? Like a messed up poke ball?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

I always encourage bizzare and creative ideas. In terms of containing and/or avoiding them, well... Here's a tip. Bull rush. Schtein has mostly disposable minions, and the oozes got in through a gap in the wall in the room behind them. Said room is quite high off the ground.

I won't often offer such tips, but in this case, the oozes have an advantage since the mission book was written with a more balanced party in mind.

11. - Top - End - #221

Hrmm, is my knowledge check sufficient to know what these particular Oozes would consider to be their most appealing meal, whether they're aware that they're taking damage and how they sense food? Specifically, would I be able to draw them out of the crack they climbed out from via. the use of Ghost Sound to make it sound like there was an easier meal out there?
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-08-29 at 12:39 PM.

Show

12. - Top - End - #222

With my spells I think I'd have an easier time single-handedly killing that tree than fighting theese oozes. Anyway, my first spell of the day and it's utterly wasted.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Hrmm, is my knowledge check sufficient to know what these particular Oozes would consider to be their most appealing meal, whether they're aware that they're taking damage and how they sense food? Specifically, would I be able to draw them out of the crack they climbed out from via. the use of Ghost Sound to make it sound like there was an easier meal out there?
    They eat just about anything, with a preference for small mammals. They're certainly aware of damage, and they hunt via, effectively, heat and motion. Fire might temporarily confuse them, and if your illusions can produce a tactile element, that would also work to lure them away.

14. - Top - End - #224

If sound is involved as well as motion/rudimentary sight then could I use a Minor Image to create, say, a number of rodents scampering about outside the crack to get them to move back that way? Or would the sound be completely lost on them?

Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

It might well work, though at present they are rather more interested in the larger mammels they can detect nearby. Namely, you lot.

Alternately, to prevent this from dragging out too long and to get the game back on track, I ran some numbers. Assuming Schtein's bodyguards pick up makeshift clubs or something, they can bludgeon the oozes to death eventually. One of them would be destroyed and another reduced to all of 7hp, and Quint would have to use another eight charges on his wand of magic missile, but that'd about do it.

Would that be acceptable, since it would allow you to get back on with exploring the temple and finding your way to the Sanctum?

16. - Top - End - #226

It'd suit me fine, whether Schtein is willing to let his minions take that kind of a beating is up to him of course. I just figured the Ooze's would have a self-preservation instinct which, were we to inflict enough damage, would lead them to leaving in search of easier prey (provided by a minor image) allowing reduced damage to our party.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-08-30 at 10:26 AM.

Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

I think you aren't accouting for Strength damage.... his minions would not take as much damage as the oozes strength went down due to their attacks being worse. I can also bolster their hp every round so they don't lose their actual HP...
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-08-30 at 11:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, quite right. Very well, incoming post.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

And... congratulations, you've found the secret staircase. It ascends straight through the columns on the first and second floors and emerges on the third floor of the Temple.

Now, would you like to go straight on up, or would you like to wait and possibly refresh spells?

20. - Top - End - #230

My vote is on refresh and reload. We know where to go now and we know this area's clear.

Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed spend the time we have refreshing, Schtein only needs 2 hours of sleep so he can use his spare time to work on the Golem repairs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

22. - Top - End - #232

SwashbucklerGuy

No glass vials in the golem workshop?
    Any sign of a kitchen in the living quarters?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Who knows the place was trashed and it has been a few hundred years... anyways I messed up on my post I need to correct it: It's hydrofluoric acid that eats glass, running on 4 hours of sleep isn't a good thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past Avatars
    Szilard

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

There are glass vials to be had, yes, and the Death's Head tavern includes a fairly simple kitchen.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

And... post. Please say hello to Hexor and Vexor, bound daemonic guardians of the Horn. And choose your words very carefully. Or your spells. Whatever works.

26. - Top - End - #236

Friendly Daemons, polite and friendly daemons no less. I can't help imagining them with upper class British accents now, "Good day old chaps, I'm terribly sorry but you aren't allowed any further here."

Show

27. - Top - End - #237

SwashbucklerGuy

Hahah! I just noticed that forums bleeped out me saying that I c0cked my gun! That's hilarious! I went back and edited by post to something the forums found more appropriate. Funny!
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-08-31 at 01:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Woo, another max roll! That's going to stop happening precisely when I need it most now.

Show

29. - Top - End - #239

Hopefully these Daemons like Vetra-Kali otherwise we're stuffed. Trying to go less heavy on the fire spells this time.

30. - Top - End - #240

I doubled up on Lightning Bolt, so hopefully I can be a little more helpful if we end up fighting them.

Show