New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

"Getting pummelled by a tree was hardly what I had in mind." Hal says to Kin as he calmly flies up towards the open sky. "Shall we regroup above the canopy and try again?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration (if Hal is threatened by the trees): (1d20+10)[11] against DC 21 to cast fly defensively
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-07 at 08:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fortunately, Hal is not presently being threatened by the trees, and casts his flight spell easily enough. However, it is still quite dark out (you departed an hour or so after the meeting with Ezra, which was specified to have occurred at evening under the stars) so you can't really make out any particular targets. The Treant could be any one of the thousands of plants spread out below you in the moonlight.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #393

SwashbucklerGuy

Just tuning in after the weekend. I fully intend to participate in killing Jurak. Consider me here!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint crossed his arms, a condescending look on his face. "Now really, if you're going to just start burning things then what did you think would happen?"

A bit louder, he shouted "Jurak! I wish to talk to you! It would be best if we spared the trees and merely spoke."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria remains mostly silent, whispering a short phrase in undercommon in conjunction with a gesture that surrounds her in a gentle swirl of protective magic.

She scans the area around her, remaining close to Quint, watching with all her forms of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Shield of Faith.

And Perception check with 120' darkvision & 60' Detect Magic: (1d20+6)[26]
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

6. - Top - End - #396

Kydrak exits the horn and cats mage armour on himself and his ready to cast the rest of his spells when the treeman comes into sight.

7. - Top - End - #397

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor casts Mage Armor after leaving the Horn.

When the tree smacks Hal, he quickly pulls his gun, and is prepared to blast something. He holds his gun out and slowly pans in a circle looking for the next attack. But he doesn't start casting anything yet to avoid "blowing his wad" if this doesn't turn into a fight soon enough.

Memorized Spells
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level
    Mage Armor (cast)
    Grease
    Burning Hands (gun) x2

2nd Level
    Knock
    Scorching Ray (gun) x2

3rd Level
    Lightning Bolt
    Fly

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kin stumbles back, dazed, and attempts to cast a spell with a mutter and a wave of his hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kin takes a 5 foot step back and then casts Vanish on himself. If he needs to cast defensively:

(1d20+11)[25] vs DC17 for a first level spell.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

9. - Top - End - #399

"No. I will not share words with an evil doer, nor with a deceiver who seeks possession of the Horn. For you, there is only death."

The two animated trees shuffle forwards, covering a good twenty foot and ending their moves no more than fifteen foot or so from the group. Their branches creak as they sway in the night-time air. And you realize just slightly too late that as they moved, they were quite careful to leave a gap between themselves.

Jurak the Elder, enraged Treant, comes thundering through that gap, emerging from the shadowy depths of the jungle in a roaring fury. He does not stop as he reaches you, barreling straight through the centre of your group in a relentless onslaught, lashing out with root and branch as he does his best to crush his foes beneath his massive bulk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trample attack! Jurak made his full move so that he came into contact with all of you save Kin, who was invisible, and Hal, who was flying out of his reach. You all take the following damage, and may attempt a DC25 reflex save for half.
    Victor: (2d6+13)[21]
    Ilvaria: (2d6+13)[19]
    Kydrak: (2d6+13)[22]
    Quint: (2d6+13)[23]
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

10. - Top - End - #400

MindFlayer

Hal's levels out as he turns to face the chaos below. "Time to open up" he mutters to himself as his left hand begins to spark and fizzle with multicoloured light. With a flash of smoke, a zigzagging bolt of fire launches forth to strike Jurak between the eyes in a burst of smoke and flame.

Buddy, start helping now.

His familiar, always next to useless in fights, was peeking out at the rampage below as hungry thoughts seeped into Hal's mind through their link. The daemon was acting like invisible carrion; hardly appropriate when the rest of the team was getting tenderized by a tree.

Whatever, but the way things are looking someone's definitely going to get crunched. You should have brought the golem...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hal is taking 5ft move horizontally to make the fly check an auto-success with his +17 against DC10.

Buddy becomes visible when he uses his lesser confusion spell-like ability on Jurak (DC12 Will to negate).

Standard action to cast Snapdragon Fireworks (affected by dazing spell feat) and a move action to fire one into the 5ft square of Jurak's face. (1d4)[3] fire damage + dazzled + dazed for 1 round. DC 17 Reflex for half damage and to negate dazed and dazzled effects.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-08 at 11:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401

Jurak barely seems to notice the aerial assault, not pausing for a moment as he turns on the spot in order to line up a new charge.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint cursed as he was trampled over, the Treeman's foot placed enormous pressure on him before he was able to assume a vaporous form. Staggering to his feet, he raised his arms above his head, shouting "Cré fál!"

The ground appeared to rise to follow his movements, forming a great earthen wall between the wizards and the enraged Jurak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint will first cast Windy Escape as a free action to reduce the damage by 10, meaning he takes 13 damage (still, ouch). He will then cast Minor Image to make a thick Earthen Wall (dimensions are 10 10ft. cubes across, making it curve to surround the group as much as possible) appear to grow out of the ground between the group and Jurak.

Reflex Save - (1d20+6)[18]
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-10-09 at 02:30 AM.

Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

A voice comes out of the air, having narrowly escaped the wreckage of Jurak's passage. Immediately after, those nearby feel a blast of air as something (or someone) rises rapidly into the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kin casts fly, and then moves directly upwards as far as his fly speed will take him.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria staggers as the Treant's attack hits her, but holds her footing - somehow. Stepping back quickly - behind the Quint's forming wall - she calls on her inborn abilities and lifts upwards - away from the raging Treant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex: (1d20+5)[20]

Free action 5 foot step away from Jurak - if I can, putting myself out of his reach - as well as that of the animated trees.

Casting levitate and moving upwards to get some distance between me and the Treant.

Concentration to cast defensively if necessary (DC 19) (1d20+6)[18]
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

15. - Top - End - #405

Spoiler
    Show
    Levitating is a move action, and you cannot take a move action while also taking a five foot step. So Ilvaria provokes an attack of opportunity from Jurak, who has sufficient reach to swipe at her anyway.

Jurak swipes at the Drow as she tries to rise away from him, heavy limb striking heavily at her comparitively fragile form.

(1d20+17)[24] to hit, for (2d6+9)[15] damage.

16. - Top - End - #406

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor gets smashed by the raging tree, casts Fly on himself, and dances through the air to position of safety. He then traces a rune of flame in the air, and slams it onto his gun barrel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Victor Ref roll
    (1d20+6)[21]
    Acrobatics to escape safely (if necessary) (1d20+12)[22]
    (swift) Sacrifice Grease to add the Flaming property to his gun.

Updated Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 35/ 14
    BAB +3
    AC 17
    Touch 13
    Flat-Footed 14
    Initiative +5
    Fort +4
    Ref +6
    Will +5

Attacks
    Arcane Pistol +7 1d8+1 x4

Updated Memorized Spells
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level
    Mage Armor (cast)
    Grease (cast)
    Burning Hands (gun) x2

2nd Level
    Knock
    Scorching Ray (gun) x2

3rd Level
    Lightning Bolt
    Fly (cast)

17. - Top - End - #407

Victor's acrobatic skills, and the unwitting distraction supplied by Ilvaria (who looks disturbingly broken after that last impact) are sufficient to preserve him from Jurak's attentions, and he rises into the air alongside Kin and Hal.

18. - Top - End - #408

Kydrak casts fly quickly and tries to fly away from the treeman who seems wanting to kill them all. He then draws his sword and starts to cast more buffing spells.

Spoiler
    Show
    1st:
    Mage Armour
    Magic Weapon x2
    Expeditous Retreat
    Magic Missile
    +Mage Armour

2nd:
    Extended Expeditous Retreat
    Fire Breath
    Fox's Cunning
    Bear's Endurance
    +Bull's Strength

3rd:
    Fly
    Beast Shape I
    Fireball
    +Haste

19. - Top - End - #409

Jurak looks over at Quint, then discards the illusionist as a target for now in favour of the flying target who attempted to blind him. He reaches down and tears a large stone free of the earth with a single mighty pull, before turning and hurling it up at the flying wizard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Throwing a rock at Hal. Standard ranged attack.
    (1d20+7)[9] to hit
    (2d6+13)[18] damage.

The animated trees start moving around what they perceive as an earthen wall, seeking to get to Quint. Still, it will take them several rounds to make the trip.

Party's turn once more.

20. - Top - End - #410

Kydrak casts haste and then moves as far as he can go upwards with it.

21. - Top - End - #411

MindFlayer

Hal flinches as the boulder misses him. That was needlessly close. I'm not sure we're going to be able to take many hits from this thing.

Buddy looks down at the crumpled elf, That's becoming obvious. I hate to say I told you so, but I...

"You ready with that fire Kin?" Hal interrupts as he launches another snapdragon at the treant. "You hit him with one of your famous fireballs, I'll take out his vision"

"Everybody cover your eyes when it hits" he yells to the group as he prepares magical fireworks in his hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Snapdragon at Jurak: (1d4)[2] DC15 reflex to negate effects.
    Ready a standard action: to cast pyrotechnics in sync with the next fire spell to target the treant or his animated trees. Fireworks effect: everything in 120ft radius watching the effect makes a DC16 will save or is blinded for (1d4+1)[4] rounds.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-09 at 03:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Dwarf in the Playground

A shape flickers in the evening sky as Kin reveals himself, roughly sixty feet off the ground, fiery wings spread wide sprouting from the backs of his shoulders.

A whispered incantation and he raises his left hand, pointing an accusation at Jurak, and a bead of bright fire leaves his hand and speeds its way towards the raging treant, expanding into a ball of fire large enough to engulf a man.

Kin closes his eyes at impact, anticipating the flash of light as his and Hal's spells combine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kin casts Flaming Sphere, targeting one of Jurak's squares. Jurak, if he fails a DC17 reflex save, takes (3d6)[7] damage, and Kin will be spending a move action each round moving the ball towards Jurak unless otherwise specified.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor takes a moment to retrieve and drink his potion of Cure Moderate Wounds.

(2d8+3)[16]

Updated HP
    Spoiler
    Show
    35/30
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-10-10 at 05:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414

Jurak staggers slightly as the firework explodes in his face. He is just starting to recover when the orb of fire detonates with a mighty flash, blinding him with its fury.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jurak has been Dazed and Blinded.

The animated trees, suddenly bereft of the Treant's guidance, hesitate and waver.

Party turn once more.

25. - Top - End - #415

MindFlayer

Looking back after the flash of light has died Hal smiles. "That's more like it" he says to Kin. "Time to capitalize"

A miasma of black energy swirls in Hal's right hands in contrast to the font of colour erupting from his left. The ray of black energy lances straight for the treant while the firework pursues an erratic crackling path before striking its target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ray of Exhaustion: (1d20+7)[21] against the touch AC of a blinded foe. DC17 Fortitude to reduce the penalty to fatigued.

Snapdragon: (1d4)[4] DC15 Reflex for half and to negate effect.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

Continuing his chant, Kin's left hand curls into a claw-shape, and the ball of fire animates as he directs it, swirling around Jurak's lower branches and roots.

Slowly his right arm raises as well and a swirl of tattoos races down it and explodes out of his open palm, resolving itself into the shape of his winged lizard familiar. Caressed by the tips of his fingers as it passes, the winged lizard snorts as it passes Jurak, and a roiling wave of fire scorches Jurak's foliage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jurak is attacked by the Flaming Sphere:

(3d6)[11] damage, DC 17 to negate, 4 rounds remaining.

Kin then casts Fire Sneeze, sharing it with his familiar, causing it to breath fire and wind in a 10ft cone for the next 4 rounds as a standard action.

(2d6)[9] damage, DC 17 reflex for half, DC 12 fort to avoid being knocked prone, 3 rounds remaining.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417

Roaring in pain, but unable to dodge the barrage of incoming spells without being able to see them, Jurak continues to suffer. His movements are sluggish and cumbersome, and his foliage is considerably burnt. That said, the small blast of fire was not nearly enough to knock him prone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full list of pertinent stats for the Treant, mostly to help me keep score.
    HP: 64/114
    Blinded for 3 more rounds
    Dazed for the next round
    Exhausted

(Jurak is Vulnerable to Fire, which is why his HP has taken such damage... all your fire spells are getting a bonus 50% on their damage.)

Still your turn, I'm just keeping track. Hal and Kin have acted so far.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing that the animated trees were not moving into his hastily erected "wall", Quint removed one of his wands from his pocket. Quickly double checking it was the right one, he thrust it out towards the stricken treeman, his tattoo's rippling blue down his arm as he did so. A missile lanced out and struck, it wasn't much but there wasn't a whole lot more he could do to help at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint is using his Magic Missile wand against Jurak.

(1d4+1)[5]

Yay for largely ineffectual damage!

Show

29. - Top - End - #419

After flying above Jurak, Kydrak unleashes a ball of fire into the treeman then flies further away again at a dazzling speed.

30. - Top - End - #420

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot damage for fireball:

(6d6)[16]