New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

Victor looks at Schtein with disgust. "Of course not now, what do you take me for, an idiot? But neither is an animated corpse the answer to everything, you vulture. It was just an idea." He moves away to continue down the passageway on the tour.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

The pool of acid holds 100 liters, as mentioned. It also refreshes at a rate of 1 liter a day. With care, this acid could be used to enhance and create all manner of other traps. Or, as noted, torture devices.

Are there any further areas you wish to explore in the caves, or do you want to move out and then up to one of the other entrances?
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #123

Schtein shakes his head and continues up and out of the cave, not wishing to waste anymore time.
    Blarg...

4. - Top - End - #124

You emerge once more onto the outside of the Horn. There are now two easily accessible ways in - the first level of the temple, which is reached by a wide staircase up the front of the Horn, and the second level, which requires a climb up a winding and narrow staircase along the sides.

There is also the third entrance, which requires you to literally climb over the rocky face of the horn from the second entrance, or the small balcony visible at the very top of the Horn, which would almost certainly require flight to access from out here.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

5. - Top - End - #125

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor peers up at the third entrace and balconey. "Can anyone fly up there an scout out those higher areas?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint squints up at the third level. "I could try to climb up, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing so."

He stretches his arms a little, enjoying the fresher air outside, "If somebody was planning on flying up there, I'd have to reccomend letting me go instead. I'm a lot better at acting unobserved after all."

That said...

Quint traced a small window in the air in front of him, "Perspicacity"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint is casting Clairvoyance as a full round action, losing Lightning Bolt to do so. He's taking a look at the balcony.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-08-27 at 03:38 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

7. - Top - End - #127

(And yes, by DM fiat everyone sees this in the scrying spell.)

The air in front of your group flickers and warps, and with a faint tearing sound a projected image forms hovering in space, showing you the view from the upmost balcony.

The balcony leads into a chamber just inside the peak of the Horn, a large dome some eighty feet across at it's widest point. The entire inner surface of the chamber is sheathed in a strange copper like material, every inch of which has been carefully worked into images of suffering mortals and spreading pestilence, interspaced with the jagged script of daemons.

Sitting in the centre of the room is an altar, a large slab of green stone stained black with the lifeblood of uncounted hundreds of victims. At the base of the slab is a small basin of oddly colored water, and looming over it is what you can only assume is a statue of Vetra-Kali itself.

The daemon lord takes the form of a six-armed humanoid figure with the tattered wings of a raven. It's skull is equine in form, hideously elongated, and three empty sockets gape from where a trio of eyes should clearly sit. In three of its hands, the statue holds wicked looking daggers, while in the other three it cradles a vial of some kind. The statue is inanimate, but you get the strangest feeling that it is staring at you with its eyeless gaze none the less.

Chained to the front of that altar is something completely out of place in the unholy fane - a large, glittering seal of purest silver, engraved with the sun and light symbols of the god Mitra. It's purity almost hurts to look upon, and the clash between the seal and the surrounding room could hardly be more distinct.

The air in the chamber seems to constantly writhe and crackle with the interplay of deific energies in such utter opposition to each other. Given the crackles of static electricity that you can make out through the scrying, you'd guess there's at least one storm elemental in there, though how many and how large is impossible to tell.

There is also, near the entrance to the balcony, what appears to be a spiral staircase set into the floor, leading from the sanctum down into the lower levels of the temple. It can evidently be accessed on foot from somewhere within.

8. - Top - End - #128

SwashbucklerGuy

As the scrying vision disappears, Victor looks to his companions pensively, "Well, gentlemen... we have an idea of what's in store for us up there, but it would be rather difficult to get us all up there. I propose we take a peak through the first entrance there. Any objections? I suspect we likely won't want to tangle with that top floor until we've had a chance to restore our spells, but no harm in looking around, eh?"

9. - Top - End - #129

Schtein nods "A pre-emptive soujourn into the temple could be valuable we do have a place to rest if need be, so I concur but let us make haste lest we be caught unaware and out in the open by some other threat."
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #130

You proceed up the long flight of stairs to the first, and lowest, entrance to the temple proper. The landing you arrive on is not particularly adorned or ornamented, and at a guess you would imagine this floor was reserved for the less senior members of the cult.

The landing at the top of the stairs was clearly meant to be guarded, as a guardroom on each side covers the entire approach by means of half a dozen arrow slits apiece. Now, though, they are empty and abandoned, as is most of the level. As you make your way inside, it becomes progressively more obvious that hard fighting took place here. Old blood stains, chipped sections of masonry and the distinctive blast patterns of arcane spells are everywhere... though there are no bodies or leftover equipment.

Exploring the level yields no encounters with sentient life, and is quickly resolved. This floor of the temple appears to have been mostly devoted to secular activities and low-ranking accomodation. There are eight different bunk halls, each with half a dozen or more old beds that have mostly fallen into disrepair and rot. There is a smithy here, and a reasonably sized tavern. Beyond that, there are four things of note.

The first is an old fountain in the centre of the main hall, wrought in the likeness of the skeletal boatman Charon. Water flows like blood from between it's ribs and collects in the hull of its morbid barge. Despite the years of neglect, the water appears perfectly fresh and untainted.

The second is a storeroom, where the cult evidently kept their provisions. The food and drink are gone now, but there is still one thing here - the corpse of a Minotaur, pinned to the floor by an ornate spear that someone rammed through its chest with incredible force a long time ago. Despite the passage of years, the corpse is perfectly fresh, preserved by whatever enchantments the Sons of the Pale Horsemen used on their supplies.

The third is some kind of throne room that adjourns the barracks. The walls in here are adorned with scenes of daemonic victory over a horde of broken angels, and the throne itself has a small inscription on its base - the abyssal word 'yah'.

The fourth is an alchemical workshop of some description. Most of the delicate supplies are gone, and the books of instructions are jumbled up and disorganized, but on a workbench in the centre of the chamber is what appears to be a golem of some description. The gangling bronze humanoid figure has clearly been the victim of some violence, but you can tell at a glance it is probably not beyond the realms of repair, provided you could find the right tools. The Sons evidently thought so too - chips of bone and sprays of old blood around the room explain why they didn't manage to complete the repair works.

Finally, there is what was obviously some kind of trophy room. A dozen display cases and stands have been broken open and looted around the room, leaving only the accompanying inscriptions to tell what might have once been held here.

The inscriptions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Laedrissa the beautiful, who believed she need not honor her promise to us.

Markan the Golden, draconic protector of Losswyn. He slept then and now sleeps forever.

Kallister feign, an illusionist too clever to keep his head.

Lazarus M. Who mourns for you now?

King Croc, 23ft from snout to tail, delicious on a spit.

Iris of Ghastenhall, dead of a broken heart and a poison dagger.

The great serpent of Korokunga, slain for its venom.

Lord Halifax the Just, hid in his castle and hoped we had forgotten. We hadn't.

Snorri Five-axe, died on a sixth.

The ears of Lord Kallerrian. If only he had sense enough to listen.

King Gorgon Sakkathet, unbeatable in battle, careless in choosing his cup-bearer.

Ergun Nygma, the third scion of the House of Hyral, the second greatest swordsman in the land, the first to die.

There is a staircase leading on upwards near the rear of this floor. You cannot hear anything coming from the floors above, but that might not necessarily make them safe.

11. - Top - End - #131

SwashbucklerGuy

Upon finding the golem room, Victor crows, "Oh, yes, yes yes YES! This is excellent! This will take some time to organize, but this... this will be magnificent!"

12. - Top - End - #132

Schtein looks at the Golem and shrugs "May be of some use, though we don't have the time to fix it, as for it being 'perfect', you forget brother that we are on assignment and though this may be a lovely location for a laboratory we do not have the permission nor the time to spend in this place. I imagine once we are done this assignment we will be shipped off somewhere else while someone else within our fold will lay claim to this area, truly a pity though."
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #133

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor sighs, "Well, we'll see. But you're certainly right about having more important things to do right now. Let's press on."

We finish the sweep of the level as was already described on continue on. I'm testing for traps regularly at appropriate locations, but not scouring for secret doors (there are spells for that sort of thing!), which we can do later.

14. - Top - End - #134

"There, there, cheer up, we have an entire tribe of Boggards to do as we please with once we are done. You can let off some steam then! Now if you wish to look at the golem I do believe that would be a very helpful tool for the future."
    Blarg...

15. - Top - End - #135

Kydrak looks admiringly at the golem. But is dismissive of what Schtein says about not having enough time. This is everything he wanted, first a group of weak-minded warriors and now a potential bodyguard. "Schtein, I do beleive that you are wrong. Do not be so dismissive of servants, the only servants you seem to like are the recently deceased. I for one, preffer something that has a mind and isn't loosing it's limbs. This is a golem of the highest value and we should fix it and use it to it's full potential. We may have enough time. He then looks to Victor "I have the same opinions as you on this fine piece of craftmanship. I would be honoured to assist in the recronstruction of this masterpeice. We may be able to keep it and use it to full potential."

16. - Top - End - #136

The Horn of Abaddon, having once been the central base of an infernal death cult, has clearly been designed with security in mind. You cannot find any way up from the first level to the second that does not involve exiting the entire temple and taking an entirely different root up the side of the mountain.

The second floor is clearly designed for superior defense relative to the first one. The approach staircase is winding and narrow, and the narrow entry hall stretches for forty foot between a pair of guard rooms that cover it every inch of the way with overlapping fire arcs. There is also a pit trap midway along the hall, now jammed open by the passage of time and bridged by a crude set of logs (it appears to drop intruders somewhere on the first floor), and there is a half-wall at the end to provide a superior position for defending troops. When you enter the floor proper, you see why.

This whole floor is evidently designed to meet the needs of the true priests of the death cult. Blasphemous murals cover the walls, showing numerous scenes from the cult's history and the various profane rituals they have performed. Interestingly, some of the murals are so detailed and intricate you wager you could likely duplicate some of those summoning rituals yourselves, though it would take some time.

The centre point of this level is a proper temple-shrine chamber in the east wing. Six stately pillars rise into the air, surrounded by carvings of carrion birds and plague daemons, forming a processional that leads right up to the foot of another throne much like the one on the floor below. This one is inscribed with the abyssal symbol 'Rah'. Interestingly, it appears that the pillars match up with similar (though less ornate) constructions on the floor below. Structural supports, perhaps.

The west wing of the floor appears mostly given over to acolyte quarters. They are mostly empty, save for one which holds a single statue of truly exquisite craftsmanship. It depicts what must have been a member of the cult, standing in the centre of the room with a spiked flail brandished menacingly.

From one of the other chambers, you think you can hear the sounds of movement.

A quick search of the floor yields no way up to the third level. There must be one, since it seems doubtful the priests would have willingly gone rock climbing across the face of the Horn every time they wanted to go up there, but it has evidently been hidden. The closest you have to a passage up is a holding cell which seems to connect to a pit trap on the floor above, currently sealed.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    Kydrak looks admiringly at the golem. But is dismissive of what Schtein says about not having enough time. This is everything he wanted, first a group of weak-minded warriors and now a potential bodyguard. "Schtein, I do beleive that you are wrong. Do not be so dismissive of servants, the only servants you seem to like are the recently deceased. I for one, preffer something that has a mind and isn't loosing it's limbs. This is a golem of the highest value and we should fix it and use it to it's full potential. We may have enough time. He then looks to Victor "I have the same opinions as you on this fine piece of craftmanship. I would be honoured to assist in the recronstruction of this masterpeice. We may be able to keep it and use it to full potential."

Schtein raises an eyebrow "There you go not listening again i told him he can look at it since it would be valuable and here I thought those big ears of yours helped you listen. I guess I am incorrect in my assumption. Though I suppose we could all work together to fix it up to speed up the process."
    Blarg...

18. - Top - End - #138

SwashbucklerGuy

"There HAS to be some way to the upper floor." Victor grumbled, looking around. "Alright, gentlemen, we are going to turn this place upside down. Stay nearby to help me move furniture. We're going to scour every inch of this place!"

Victor proceeds to search very thoroughly for secret passages, not hesitating to move furniture out of the way.
    (ooc) I would argue that my Engineering skill should provide synergy in this sort of endeavor. Just sayin'!

19. - Top - End - #139

Looking around the second floor, Victor discovers a few things of note in his intensive search (as does anyone else who gets involved).

Firstly, the statue in the acolytes quarters is not actually a statue. Close examination, and your own wizardly expertise, reveals that it is actually a cultist transformed at some point into stone, presumably via a petrifaction spell (there are not enough like him to account for something like a marauding Medusa).

Secondly, there is an old scrap of paper in one of the guard rooms, partially singed and with several of the words obscured. The rest is in Abyssal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Have to get out... stairs a death trap... get to throne room... Yah...

Thirdly, one of the pillars in the central shrine is hollow. There appears to be no way inside up here, but Victor's engineering and architectural knowledge suggests that there might be something on the floor below. Failing that, it also overlaps with the odd section of man-wrought stone in the caverns below, specifically the mud pit chamber.

Finally, your methodical search brings you closer to the room in the acolytes wing which you heard the movement coming from. You can definitely hear it now - an odd sort of liquid sound, perhaps from an ooze of some description, coming from the chamber in the very north-west of the floor.

This all takes you something approaching two hours, assuming the four of you divide up the area equally and search at the same time.

20. - Top - End - #140

Kydrak is cautious of this potential ooze, not wanting to loose his weapon, he sheathes his longsword and readies a fireball spell for the first group of oozes he sees.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint helps Victor search the room manually, searching for any sign of concealed tricks or traps. After finding all they could in a mundane manner, he changed his tactics a little. Focussing his energies inwards, Quint traced the Tattoo's lining his face, making them glow faintly for a few seconds after he'd traced them.

"Braith Doirse Rúnda"

With that, the entirety of his eyes changed colour to be a bright blue. With his new vision, Quint swept the room a second time, much faster this time around, taking pause in front of any doors he found so that he could discern how they functioned.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint is converting one of his prepared Silent Image spells into a Detect Secret Doors spell then sweeping the room with it. He'll alert the rest of the party as to where they are and how they open.

His search complete, Quint pulled out one of his two wands, ready to aid how he could against the Ooze's in the next room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint will then draw his Wand of Magic Missiles so as to be ready for the upcoming fight.

Show

22. - Top - End - #142

A thorough check informs Quint that there is only a single secret door on this entire floor, one that links one of the guardrooms to the entrance hall. It isn't especially useful beyond as a quick way for guards to move and engage any opposition they haven't shot to death.

As you gather for your assault, the oozes detect your presence and begin sliding through the acolyte halls towards you. There are two of them, and they are an off sort of green in colour. Fortunately, since you were prepared, you get the drop on them - the team has first turn.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing the Oozes edging closer, Quint swung the wand out forwards towards the nearest Ooze. The tattoo's flashed in a wave down his arm as he channeled his energy into his wand, activating the wand itself and launching a bolt of force with unerring accuracy.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Arcana Roll (if appropriate) to try and learn a bit more about our gelatinous friends (1d20+12)[23]

And damage roll for the wand (49 charges remaining) (1d4+1)[5]

Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Schtein wrinkles his nose at the foul things he mutters a few words and directs a green ray at one of them while ordering his bodyguards to for a wall in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    ray of sickening attack roll (1d20+3)[8] DC is 19 to avoid sicken if it hits.
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #145

The first ooze shudders and ripples slightly under the effect of the magical barrage from Quint's wand. The second turns a different shade of green and makes a slight moaning noise as Schtein's ray strikes it, just before his skeletal bodyguards form a solid wall between him and the oozes.

Spoiler
    Show
    You'd think oozes would be immune to sickened or something, but nope.

26. - Top - End - #146

SwashbucklerGuy

Shooting an ooze!

Attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    Versus Touch AC
    Spend 1 Grit and swift action for Engineering is Power +4 dmg
    Point Blank Shot +1/+1
    Deadly Aim -1/+2
    (1d20+6)[9]
    (1d8+7)[8]

Current Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 22/29
    BAB +3
    AC 17
    Touch 13
    Flat-Footed 18
    Initiative +5
    Fort +4
    Ref +6
    Will +5
    Grit 2/4

27. - Top - End - #147

Spoiler
    Show
    Did my readied firball shoot at it? Or did I suddenly remember that they're immune to fire?

28. - Top - End - #148

Spoiler
    Show
    Up to you, but I'll assume you remembered that these things were immune to fire. Or that Quint told you. Something like that.

29. - Top - End - #149

Spoiler
    Show
    As noted in the OoC thread, I'm skipping the rest of this fight, as it will take too long and the outcome isn't in any real doubt. Quint looses eight charges on his wand of magic missile, and two of the skeletons are reduced to half health before they manage to immobilize and beat the oozes to death with local rubble. On the upside, everyone gets 1,000xp for killing them and exploring the first two levels.

With the oozes neutralized, it becomes apparent that the outer wall of the acolyte barracks area has collapsed some time in the last few years. There is now a hole in the side of the Horn, which could possibly be exploited as a way inside, bypassing the designed defenses.

In any case, the first two levels of the Horn appear to have been swept and secured. You still have no way up to the third level without climbing over the front of the mountain, but you do know that at least one of the pillars in here is hollow, and likely runs through at least the floor below.

What do you do?

30. - Top - End - #150

Kydrak is slightly embarrased at his uselessnes in the fight against the oozes. The fight took suprisingly long for someone of his strength and ability. He examines the golem with a smile and takes note of all of it's ablities.

Spoiler
    Show
    Know Engineering: (1d20+9)[20](29)