New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

Quint grimaced at the sound of Schtein hitting the stalagmite. He'd liked the necromancer, the approach he took to work had always been very upbeat. Now, however, was not the time to reminisce over the past few days. Remaining on his side of the pit trap, he listened to the recorded message with interest. Musing about what their next course of action should be, one thing seemed obvious to him.

"We need to make sure they're all here at the start, and we need to make sure they're all alive until when we need them. If they die before we're ready for them after we've already begun, we may not get another oppertunity."

He continued to think things through a bit further, "That tree creature at the perimeter will help convince some of those that may try to enter that there is nothing to fear and that the guard stands still, but in order to leave we'll need to sneak past it. Not only that, but the elemental I drove off intends to return three months from now. We have breathing space, but not as much as I'd perhaps like."

Quint sighed inwardly. He doubted the three of them could hold for seven months against all that would come. "I hate to be the one to say it, but I think it would be prudent to send for additional help. I can meet them beyond the treefolk's border and sneak them past."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Once Kydrak is mainly healed from his injury he goes over to Schtein and picks him up from the stalagmite. He looks at him wiht no emotion. Then drops him on the floor with a smug smile. "Well, he was useful, but not irreplacable. I say we read through his spellbook, then we break the seal to tell Master Thorn what has happened. Also, now I can have a bit more peace than before. So it's not all bad."

3. - Top - End - #273

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor uncoils a rope and lowers it down to help Kydrak get up. "Careful now. We need you in one piece."

(OOC) If there's anything I can tie the rope around to help secure it on my level I use it (more stalagmites, etc).

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can get Kydrek out of the pit easily enough. Vexor, having learned that touching the Eyes at least does not bring instant destruction, carefully levers the gem out of its nook in the wall and holds it close to its chest, like a parent with their infant. It's a strange sight on the malevolent looking creature.

"Not to cast doubt on your capabilities, of course, but holding defiant prisoners for seven months is not going to be an easy task. Especially if the Victor's descendent is anything like him in temperament." Hexor comments.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint gives Hexor a sidelong glance, "There aren't many with the will to deliberately starve themselves to death. If nothing else the food can be forced down. They need not be in comfort, or even a stable mental state, alive will suffice. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Picking up the amulet they'd been given to contact their esteemed Baron, Quint ambled out into the corridor, casually smashing the clay amulet against the wall as he did so. They'd been told an agent would be sent upon its destruction, the only question was how long it'd take the agent to arrive. Quint leaned casually against the wall for a minute, on the off chance that the agent would be teleporting in.

Show

6. - Top - End - #276

"You called, dearest?"

Tiadora strolls around the corner of the tunnel up ahead, looking graceful and poised and completely out of place in the dank tunnels. She smiles at Quint in a somewhat unsettling fashion.

"Good news, I trust?"
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint gave Tiadora a humourless smile. Without bothering to stand up straighter from his leaning position, he began "For the most part, yes. We know what we need to do to bring Vetra-Kali back, we've got a good idea of the layout now and what defences would be necessary. But of course you know I wouldn't call you here if it were all good news, would I? There'd be no need."

Now his smile disappeared and he pushed himself into a standing position. "In order to return Verta-Kali we require many months of rituals, a Son of the Pale Horseman, a devout follower of Mitra," Quint stopped a moment, continuing when he felt a sufficiently dramatic pause had been attained, "and a descendent of Marakadian."

Quint chuckled slightly, But again, that's not why I called you here. What we really need is a few new wizards. Our friend Schtein reached the end of his road mere minutes ago, as far as I'm concerned there's not a whole lot of use for a wizard who can't think fast enough to avoid a trap, but we could use a few more."

He stopped speaking. Was that all of it? He was pretty sure that was all of it. He snapped his fingers, "Yes, we could use a brain, too. Human or Elf, or Half-Elf I guess, needs to be fresh though, maybe a prisoner or something? A dozen vials of Alchemist's Fire and Ice each wouldn't go amiss either"

Leaning back against the wall in the confidence that he hadn't forgotten anything, his grin returned.

Show

8. - Top - End - #278

Tiadora tilts her head to one side as she considers your report. "Interesting. The length of time required to recall the daemon prince is somewhat unfortunate, but we can be patient where it is required. As for reinforcements, well, there are a few possibilities. The Master has been recruiting recently, to make up for the losses our organisation has already sustained, so we can likely funnel a few this way."

Her voice has become cold and businesslike, a far cry from the usual sultry demeanor she has exhibited in the past. "As for the other requirements, there is likely an Alchemist in Farholde. Speak to the Seventh Knot, and they should be able to provide you with the ingredients and a brain. A member of the Son's bloodline shouldn't be too difficult - they likely interbred with the local population occasionally, so checking a few family trees should find a suitable member. The Seventh can likely handle that as well."

Now she frowns. "A descendent of Markadian might be rather more difficult to manage. The Master and I will look into the matter and see if we can locate a suitable individual."

"Anything else?"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint mulled the question over for a few moments. "No, I don't believe I had anything else I wished to ask of you. Whether my compatriots choose to or not is their business, but I cannot recall anything else of import at this time."

Show

10. - Top - End - #280

"Very well. I shall return once I have news. In the mean time, you should get on with whichever preparations you think you can achieve here. Perhaps even begin the ritual - seven months is a lot of time to locate the missing pieces, after all."

With that, Tiadora vanishes with a faint pop noise.

Spoiler
    Show
    And now, we're moving into the weekly time scale. You have a week to start preparing, fortifying and generally arming up for the ritual. In terms of resources, you have your own magic, the Eyes of Vetra-Kali, the aid of the Seventh Knot, and the assistance of Baron Vandermir to call upon, as well as the contents of the treasure vault.

So, what are you doing in the first week or so?

11. - Top - End - #281

A couple of days later, Tiadora teleports back in with your promised reinforcements in tow, arriving in the cavern levels as before (a frantic Boggard comes and summons you if you were working elsewhere at the time). There are three of them.

The first is a wiry looking human male with red eyes. He wears dark clothing that leaves his arms exposed, and you can see the faint patterns of dozens of old scars.

The second is a halfling with blue eyes, who looks around the interior of the caverns and the temple above as though they are familiar to him.

Finally, the third member of the reinforcement group is unmistakably a Drow, with the pale hair and purple eyes common to her race, which is something of a surprise - there haven't been Drow in Talingarde for decades.

Tiadora nods to you as you arrive, and hands Quint a scroll case. "This is what we could discover about a potential heir for the Victor. Hopefully, the next time we meet, you will be victorious." Then she is gone, leaving only another clay amulet behind, much like the first one.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, feel free to start introducing yourselves to your new brothers and sisters in evil, and otherwise continue plotting how to best go about your mission. In terms of what the newcomers know:
    - The Ninth Knot, which you are now part of, are in the process of securing an old fortress known as the Horn of Abaddon. Their mission is to summon a daemon prince named Vetra-Kali, and from him obtain a magical disease entitled the Tears of Achlys, to use as a weapon in the ongoing war.
    - The Seventh Knot, also known as the White Ravens, are operating in nearby Farholde in order to provide you with assistance and cover as you complete your work.
    - The Baron Vandirmir, the most important noble left in Farholde as the Duke has gone to the war, is also working with the group, albeit subtly.
    Anything else, you'll have to find out in game via discussion.

After Tiadora leaves, the large bear-like form of Hexor approaches the group of newcomers, faint light glinting of his exposed fangs. "Well, well. Fresh meat. Pleased to meet you, lords and lady, and might I say I hope you last longer than the last fellow." he growls out.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

The human male says nothing, at first. A young, somewhat pale man with eyes that scan the room once quickly, then return again seeking out each detail of every expression in the room. What a normal person might originally have assumed to be a tattoo flows down his left arm and springs out of his palm into a physical creature, a small winged lizard that he instinctively clasps closer to his chest. Those that take their eyes off the small creature might notice his eyes, which are a crimson red in an otherwise unremarkable face, or the scars that adorn his arms from fingertip to shoulder.

He seems to be waiting for the others to introduce themselves, unwilling to make the first move.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint took the case off of Tiadora with a slight nod of acknowledgement and quickly leafed through the various papers inside. As he glanced through, he spared a quick look for the three that were left behind. The barest hint of a grin appeared on his face as he packed the papers away again.

"So which of you bought the reagents?"

Show

14. - Top - End - #284

Kydrak scans all of them looking somewhat unimpressed, until he sees the drow, and he looks somewhat quizzical. He snaps back to his normal expression, then sticks his hand out to no one in particualr. Hello, my name is Lord Kydrak Seldon, prince of the elven kingdoms and son of the king Caldrel Seldon. So which of you is worthy to be in the pact of thorns?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

A half-elf, prince of the Elves? I kind of hope its just bluster, otherwise they've gone downhill in a serious way. She thinks, a smile tugging at her lips. She dips an elegant, respectful curtsey to the daemon as he approaches, ignoring the half elf for now.

"My thanks, kind sir." She replies. "A sentiment I think we can all agree on." She glances at Quint, blinking slowly. "I'm afraid we were not told of any reagents to bring, Mister..?" She trails off, clearly expecting a response.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-09-19 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

16. - Top - End - #286

MindFlayer

The little halfling snorts a little at the elf's display. Even though the halfling's face stays serious you can hear unconstrained giggling coming from somewhere overhead."Don't you think this cave is a bit too cramped to be called your kingdom?"

Hal walks forward, straight past the elf's outstretched hand, to introduce himself to the twin daemons, "Pleasure to meet you sirs. I'm known to some as Halifax Eater, but please, call me Hal. Buddy introduce yourself to our new friends."

Suddenly you all hear a nasally voice that seems to be yelling from within your heads, "Behold, mortals for I shall devour you souls!" Then, in front of the silent youth's face, a small ball of teeth and eyes suddenly materializes. "Boo!" it screams before floating away and whizzing around the ceiling laughing to itself. Buddy is clearly in a good mood today.

Hal is unfazed by his familiar's display. "So, shall we walk and talk? I would like to see the sanctum now. As for making plans, how about we hold off on a proper discussion until we get somewhere that doesn't stink of frog-man? For your reagents, windwalker, tell me what you need and I'll make some for you" Hal seems to be completely genuine, he's too excited at the prospect of being in the Horn for squabbling. In the Horn at last! With the combined might of Abaddon and Hell there will be no stopping him.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-09-19 at 11:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

The young man blinks at Buddy's appearance directly in front of him. He stares directly at Hal for a moment before turning to the rest of the group and finally introducing himself in a somewhat distracted, rambling manner.

"My name... you can call me Kin. I think we all have... worthiness of a sort if we are a part of the pact. You might even say being willing to join this pact is a sort of worthiness in itself. As for reagents... I have no knowledge of what you expected us to bring."

He thinks for a moment.

"I think the halfling is right. We should walk and talk. Let us know what the plan is."
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288

"It is always nice to meet a person of such dignified manners, Mr Halifax." Hexor intones gravely.

"Indeed. Let us depart for the upper levels. Walking is rather inefficient, though, so I hope you don't mind if I give you all a lift." Vexor completes. The world blurs for a moment, and you are suddenly all standing in main hall on the First floor.

"Much better. I shall go and see if Ezra wishes to greet you as well - it is probably for the best if your first meeting with him happens under controlled conditions." Hexor says, before flickering away again. Vexor merely wanders off to the side of the room and waits, idly inspecting some of the carvings.

19. - Top - End - #289

MindFlayer

"I don't mind at all. Though I beg your pardon, but your brother is calling on whom exactly? For that matter sir, what is your part here? The Asmodeans would not have summoned you, so are you guardians of the Horn? If you are you must have developed an incredible familiarity with this place. I truly look forward to collaborating with you on this undertaking, though I take it you cannot stray from this location."

Hal's tone is sincere and jovial. For ceustodaemons like the twins to be bound here Vetra-Kali must be just as powerful as he was promised.

"I apologize for Buddy, he enjoys such things." Hal apologizes absentmindedly as he takes in his surroundings. "Its nice to finally meet the entire Knot. Such aggregates of arcane might should not be so rare."

20. - Top - End - #290

"Ezra, the Thrice-Damned. The last High Priest of this temple, before the Mitrans slew him. He came back as a wraith, on account of the ambient magic and his own raw hatred." Hexor explains.

"And you guess correctly. My brother and I have been bound to guard the Horn. While our amulets remain intact, we cannot be permenently slain. Unfortunately, the bindings the Mitrans used to banish our lord forbid us or Ezra from entering the Sanctum, so we have been mostly powerless to return him to the world."

21. - Top - End - #291

A few moments later, Vexor returns, reappearing next to his brother daemon silently. Shortly afterwards, a pale green figure passes through the ceiling and descends to hover in front of the gathered group. It takes the form of an old man, draped in ragged robes which clearly reveal the absence of any actual body beneath them. His face bears the pinched and sunken look of malnutrition, and the eyes that stare out at you all glitter with other-worldly malevolence.

"More children of the Devil-God." the wraith hisses. "Surely enough to begin your task. Why do you yet delay?"

22. - Top - End - #292

As Kydrak sees Ezra he looks at him with great contempt and graps the hilt of his sword with his hand. So we meet again. But this time you see we have more people. If you dare to attack any of us you will feel the full wrath of Asmodeous, we both know that I both hate and distrust you, so you better be careful. We now have the three eyes of Vetra-Kali and we could start this at anytime. I would like to introduce you to my new friends, these people." Kydrak gestures to the three new recruits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kydrak has made an zombie Schtein who is now his servant this amuses him greatly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells prepared:

1st:
    Sleep
    Charm person
    Magic Missile x2
    Expeditous retreat
    + Magic Weapon

2nd:
    Bull's Strength x2
    Bear's Endurance
    Fire Breath
    + Fox's Cunning

3rd:
    Suggestion
    Fireball
    Haste
    + Beast Shape I

23. - Top - End - #293

"We both know that I do not fear your god, Wizard, and nor do I fear you. If I wished, I could slaughter you all, and there would be little you could do but flee." Ezra retorts with cold certainty. "That I do not is Testamant to the fact that I need you to do what I presently cannot, and break the Seal. Bluster and threaten as you wish, so long as you remain useful."

Spoiler
    Show
    No sense motives or anything needed here - Ezra dearly wishes to murder you all, and believes himself capable of it. Whether he actually is, well, that's another question altogether...

24. - Top - End - #294

SwashbucklerGuy

"Well," Victor says, obviously trying to break the tension, snapping shut his little note book as he often does, "lovely talking to you again, Ezra, always a pleasure. Rest assured we have identified everything we need for the ritual, and will be bringing our first captives back shortly to get started. Don't you worry." He then turns to the newcomers, "Welcome to the Horn of Abbadon which, while not a kingdom, is truly an exquisite place. Glad to have you on board." He comes forward an offers his hand to each of them in turn (part of the point is to see how they react to an offer of honest comradeship). "How about I give you tour? We can share what we know, and discuss the next steps of we face."

Without waiting for responses he turns and heads to the next room, his long coat flaring out around him. "Come, come!" he called back.
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-09-20 at 08:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

MindFlayer

"Ezra the Thrice Damned, my name is Halifax Eater. I would very much appreciate an audience with you sometime in the next few days. Business first though we want to get this ritual underway as soon as possible."

He turns to Victor, "Yes, a tour sounds splendid. I would like to learn the story of how you came to discover this place."

26. - Top - End - #296

The wraith seems somewhat surprised by Halifax's request, but nods in assent all the same. It watches with a speculative eye as you depart for a quick tour.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint acts as though he's surprised at the newly arrived wizards lack of knowledge about the reagents. "You mean you didn't bring them? That's a great pity..."

He muses over Hal's offer of help, "Well, what we needed was about a dozen vials of both Alchemist's Fire and Ice," he grins at Kin as well, "We also need a Human brain."

As they walk around the keep, Quint idly hums to himself. After a few minutes he comments "I assume you've had our task explained to you, we're required to perform a ritual which will last a good seven months. For that we're going to need three sacrifices, the first of which is already present in the keep but is slightly petrified at the moment. The second is just a Mitran worshipper, shouldn't be a big deal, and the third is why I was given these papers."

As they climb some stairs, Quint mutters "Soilse Rince" and four lights wink into existence. He idly spins them around his hand, tracing various patterns in the air as they do so.

"Personally, I think we would be best served in obtaining a Mitran worshipper at the least before we begin, ideally two if scars doesn't wish to donate his brain to the cause," he winks at Kin, "We could go after the last guy as well, and personally I'd prefer to, but we could also lure him here with promises of glory and the like."

Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I... could procure some alchemist's fire and ice with the right ingredients. I'm also willing to assist in procuring a Mitran worshipper or two but I assure you that my brain is staying right here in my head."

Kin isn't sure whether Quint is just asking whether he'll help, or whether he literally wants his brain. He's making certain, either way.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299

MindFlayer

"Petrified? Interesting. Does that mean if we dispel his curse he'll be able to speak with us? That would be almost as valuable a source of information as the High Priest or our generous daemon hosts? I suggest releasing him be our first priority. We can have a short interrogation before sacrificing him. Who knows, he might even cooperate once we reveal our cause?"

That's cold! Buddy exclaims in his head. Doing that to a brother Rider. But you do have a habit of letting others take the fall for you, I should have expected as much

Hal knew Buddy was just trying to annoy him. Not a day went by without the daemon finding some way of reminding him of his former companions. The only problem Buddy would have with sacrificing the cultist would be not consuming the soul himself; for too long the daemon had been feeding only on animal souls and was hungering for something more powerful.

"I will claim chambers on the third level as my own in order to better study the history of this fortress. I shall restore the library to some degree and construct a personal workshop there as well. Proximity to those holding cells will facilitate my type of work. That minotaur is interesting, I will animate it's corpse as well as the ones in the guardroom."

"As for you alchemicals, Mr. Quint, a large order like that will require a stop in a Farholde. I do not mean to stymie your entusiasm, but three and a half months is a long time in which to procure a prisoner and seven a long time to repair a golem. It occurs to me that while our presence here is still a secret we would do well to work cautiously until we are ready to receive guests. We should gather information, meet with the seventh knot and the baron, and amass resources before revealing ourselves. We can begin the ritual and then abduct locals to serve our cause. By the end of this week I'm sure we can locate a hermit or recluse whose brain won't be missed, perhaps several."

30. - Top - End - #300

Based on what you know, and having had a proper look around, it would cost roughly 200 gold pieces to buy enough equipment to properly refit the Alchemist's laboratory in the Horn.

It would cost a total of 480 gold pieces to acquire enough Alchemist's fire and Alchemist's Ice to properly fuel the Golem (there is an Alchemist in Farholde). Getting a brain is something you'd either have to do yourself, or get the Seventh to provide.

Would you like to spend the money?