New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

Knowing that he did not have much time before the man recovered, Quint dragged the sons body a short distance away and then bought his crossbow to bear on the boy. Taking care to aim for the throat whilst avoiding hitting the head, he fired a single shot. This done, he swung his arms around himself in an arc and incanted "Sféar dofheictheacht" causing the boys body and himself to vanish from sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint will use his crossbow to make a Coup de Grace attack against the unconcious son before casting invisibilty sphere so as to hide both himself and the sons body (be it dead, dying or alive)

Damage for Coup de Grace - (2d8)[9]

Fort save to not die is DC 10+above damage roll

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quint

The human boy chokes and dies in exceedingly messy fashion, bleeding out through the wound in his throat. The father has not yet recovered his senses, though you can see him doing his best to hold the improvised club in a guard position as he blinks desperately to clear his vision.

Hal

No one prevents you from leaving the Manor, and you can acquire food and general supplies from Farholde easy enough.

The trip back through the Caer Byr is easy enough, utterly unimpeded. However, as you reach the base of the Horn, you swear you catch a glimpse of something in the corner of your vision, moving gently contrary to the ambient wind. A second glance sees nothing but trees.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

After Hal has left the room, Victor smiles and takes a drink from his wine glass. Breathe, and play it easy...

"Good, now back to business. Let me bring you up to speed on our recent activities. We did locate the Horn, and unravelled it's mysteries, subjugating a group of boggards that live in the caverns below, several demonic guardians, and undead haunts, most notably a Dread Wraith." Make it sound like these new minions are no big deal. They don't need to that we hardly control them at all... "It's a rather well designed compound, but it is in need of significant repair, hence the need for skilled laborers, preferably carpenters and masons. We would appreciate your help acquiring a few, preferably ones that will not be missed.

We've uncovered the means to accomplish the end goal. It's a very complicated ritual that by it's very nature requires several months of attention, which was the reason for Hal's reference to being here for roughly a year. I fully expect it will be less, but it's a good measure for planning's sake. We have already begun the course of gathering the various components for this ritual, but one will involve eventually kidnapping and sacrificing Sir Darien of Hammorhol, him being the most accessible member of a specific bloodline. We would appreciate your assistance gathering any intel around him, his castle, and it's defenses that you can, so that our operation can happen as quietly as possible."

He leans back casually, as if discussing profits & losses from last quarter.

"That's what we've been up to, and where we could use help. How about you and your team?"

4. - Top - End - #364

The Witch and the Nobleman listen to Victor's explanation, and nod thoughtfully.

"There always were legends of ghosts haunting the Caer Byr. I suppose they were true." the Baron says. "Still, craftsmen should not be too difficult to obtain. I would prefer them to come back alive - skilled help is hard to find as it is - but I can certainly finance enough of them to properly repair a decent sized area. Living supplies as well - a few of the local nobility went off to war with the Duke, so they won't be missing their possessions."

"We're mostly set up in Farholde." Elise chimes in, having evidently decided that an even exchange of information is fair enough. "We intend to create a serial killer, one who will remove any inquisitive sorts asking too many questions about the Horn, and thwart any adventuring parties we can safely dispose of. If they are too public to easily remove, we'll send along full intelligence on their plans and capabilities via animal messenger as soon as we can."

"Valin Darian might be a bit more difficult - he's quite well defended, and a competent warrior besides. Still, my birthday is coming up in little over a month, and he has already agreed to attend the function." Vandermir continues. "I expect I can assist in a kidnapping then, though I might have to participate in the fight against you to maintain my own reputation here."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

5. - Top - End - #365

SwashbucklerGuy

"Oh, I'm sure we can arrange to have you struck by a flashy but ultimately harmless spell. Or perhaps we can attend as servants or guests and whisk him away quietly? Either way, I'm sure we can give you an air-tight alibi." Victor said with a smile. Then to Elise, "A serial killer? Clever. Very clever. Yes, an animal messenger will do fine. We'll appreciate it. There's a large and irritatingly noble treant guarding the route between here and the Horn, and he presents an irritating obstacle that we have thus far simply avoided. We're still debating of some way to remove him without destroying him, as we fear it would be too obvious a sign of our presence."

6. - Top - End - #366

"Jurak?" the Baron chuckles. "I wish you the best of luck in getting that stubborn plant to leave. He swore an oath to the Victor, when the Horn was first destroyed, and by all accounts takes it very seriously. It would be easier to slay him, really. No one in Farholde will miss him, I assure you, and if you leave him alive he'll continue bothering you for eternity."

7. - Top - End - #367

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that with all the alchemical ingredients assembled, and the brain, you set about repairing the Golem. Anyone may be present here, as it happens a little while after the meeting with the Baron etc.

The procedure to repair the golem is intricate and time consuming. Fortunately, your skills and the surviving instructions in the manuals (those that survived the pyromaniac Mitrans and decades of neglect) prove more than sufficient.

The gangly, metallic creature stirs to life as the mix of volatile reagents start flowing around the delicate glass wear of it's internal systems. With a lurch, it picks itself up off the bench and turns to regard all of those present with it's solitary crystal eye.

"Masters... thy servant Artephius awaits your commands..." it says, in a hissing and oddly menacing voice.

8. - Top - End - #368

MindFlayer

Hal returns to the Horn with full saddlebags and a scythe over his shoulder. He has the others help him unload the supplies he brought back from Farholde once he's used invisibility to pass the treeman. He will either take up residence in the High Priest's Chambers or repurpose the Chamber of Delights depending on his conversation with Ezra. He then arranges to meet with Ezra on the balcony later that evening if it is convenient with the wraith.

He helps Kin and anyone else interested in equipping the alchemy lab and uses some of the table space to work on creating some simple cuff-bands with which to improve his item creating faculties, also noting that they may come in handy if that witch comes after him personally. He invites Hexor and Vexor to join him for conversation while he crafts the bands. As they work he answers whatever questions his companions ask about Farholde, and shares with them that he plans to meet with Ezra that evening on the balcony of the third level.

That evening he steps carefully around the pit trap and waits under the stars for the wraith to appear.

Time Skip
    When at last the repairs to the golem are completed Hal stands back impressed. The acid burns on his apron and the small chunks of alchemical ice in his hair attest to the work he put in to restore the machine. Hal hopes the others agree to test out the capabilities of their new servant. He also hopes to go ahead with plans to reinforce the golem and cover some of its exposed weakpoints. "Welcome back to the world" he whispers; more to himself than the machine.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-01 at 10:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369

At the appointed time, Ezra arrives at the balcony, floating in the air in front of the Horn. The Wraith says nothing, merely gazing at Hal with what passes for a curious expression on its translucent features.

10. - Top - End - #370

MindFlayer

"Welcome High Priest Ezra Thrice-Damned, and thank you for joining us. I don't think you've been introduced to my familiar." Anyone there notices that Buddy, for once, is perfectly visible.

I am known as Buddy, it is an honor to meet you sir. Buddy salutes in proper Abaddonian form.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kin bows formally, right hand on the left side of his waist and his left arm straight against his torso.

"A pleasure, Ezra."

He says nothing, waiting for Hal or Ezra to lead the conversation.
    Last edited by Cloudsmeet; 2012-10-01 at 10:40 PM.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

12. - Top - End - #372

The wraith studies Buddy for a moment. "A daemon familiar... unusual."

He looks back at the two wizards. "And a more respectful address than others have offered. What is it you wished to speak about, one who rides with Asmodeans?"

13. - Top - End - #373

MindFlayer

"I have come to learn of Vetra-Kali Eats-the-Eyes. For several years it has been my mission to free the prince from his prison here, yet there is still so much I do not know of Vetra-Kali. I also ask for your help in ensuring the ritual we are beginning is ultimately successful. We also seek your wisdom for how best to defend the Horn against those who wish to keep Vetra-Kali bound. I assure you we already have plans underway for how we shall establish these fortifications, but I would not alter this sacred place without your permission."
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-02 at 01:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374

Kydrak wakes up (almost) fully healed and prepares his spells for the day. When Ezra comes down he looks at his with utter resentment and hate, but this time he keeps his sword at his side and doesn't say anything to the creature. He listens to Hal when he speaks and his surpirsed at how calm he can be with this blasphemer nearby.

15. - Top - End - #375

Ezra considers Hal's words carefully before speaking once more.

"Vetra-Kali was our divine patron, a genius in the art of pestilence. He sought to create the perfect disease with which to scourge the lands, and had almost succeeded before the Mitrans raided our temple."

"As for defense, the ritual will create a strong field of unholy energy throughout the Horn. You might tap into that energy to sustain and empower greater numbers of the undead, which will guard against any unexpected intruders."

"I should also recommend restoring the Eyes to the statue in the sanctum. Together, they can detect any trace of holy energy within the Horn, and project images to reveal to you where the enemies of your work might be found. Beyond that, you will have to offer them to my lord when he arrives, if you seek to avoid destruction, so having them close to hand would be an advantage."

The wraith gives a ghoulish smile before suggesting it's last point. "Finally, allow me to slaughter the Boggard tribe living below, and make wraith spawn of them. Such creatures would be vastly more useful in defense - tireless, invulnerable to mundane weapons, and able to quickly respond to any intruders by moving through the rock of the Horn itself."

16. - Top - End - #376

MindFlayer

"Every daemonist is Talingarde knows of your patron's genius, and that is why it became my life's mission to free him. You are truly fortunate to have had such a connection with him. His Tears of Achlys will be a like nothing the world has ever seen when at last his masterpiece is unleashed."

"The Eyes will be returned to the sanctum at once. I would like to learn how to use their gifts as well as to see the statue of Vetra Kali restored to its proper glory. For our defence I can think of no better way of detecting intruders. Who sees the image and how far does this ability extend. The aura will be wonderful as well. My companions and I can turn every available corpse and skeleton into servants of this cause. Are you able to create any yourself, Ezra? That would be almost as useful as your ability to create spawn."

"Speaking of spawn, perhaps for the time being we should keep the boggards alive. They are extra sets of arms that can help us make physical repairs to the Horn, but once they have served their purpose we may not need them anymore. Either way, I should confer with the rest of the Nessian Knot before stating whether or not we would like you to kill them or not."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint idly flicked through his spell book. The waking of the Golem had been an interesting diversion, but now he couldn't help feeling a little discontented. Perhaps he could glean some ideas for their fortifications from his book. It seemed to him that it might even be simplest to just collapse all but one of the entrances...

Hmm...

He glanced up and looked around the room he was in, the Golem was his only company. Ah well, the idea would keep.

Show

18. - Top - End - #378

(Now that the forums work again...)

Ezra seems to consider Hal's words for a few moments. "A reasonable objection. Certainly, my inability to physically interact with anything has proven a hinderence more than once."

"The images are projected above the altar - any who can draw line of sight to it can see the visions the Eyes provide. Speaking of undead..." he grimaces, the ghostly flesh pulling in odd ways, "I could once, but that was lost along with so much else when I was slain. All I retain now is the theoretical knowledge."

19. - Top - End - #379

Kydrak stares at the wraith with hate in his tone. "I do not allow you to kill those Boggards, you should not make an army that will surely kill us after you are finished with us, as you know, I want you dead; and I know the feeling is mutual, so I do not in any way permit you to do against my bidding or ou shall feel the wrath of Asmodeous."

20. - Top - End - #380

The wraith stares at the Kydrak for a long, ugly moment before finally speaking. "Very well."

There is a distinct finality in his tone, and you get the impression that he was seriously weighing up a choice before making a decision.

21. - Top - End - #381

MindFlayer

"Um... Well sir, your knowledge is our greatest resource at this point. I think we should go and try the scrying. Is there any ritual needed to operate the eyes? Perhaps the seal will have an effect." Hal interjects, hoping to diffuse the tension.

"Once I have attempted the scrying, perhaps I can meet you in the Fane to discuss it. I have questions about the thrones, the acid, and so much more."

22. - Top - End - #382

For the entire tense moment Kydrak was staring intently into Ezra's eyes, not looking away and will continue doing this until the wraith looks away.

23. - Top - End - #383

Ezra shakes his head. "The scrying is directly dependent on the summoning ritual. It is a side effect of the energies channeled through the artifacts. As for your other questions... We will speak tomorrow. Without this insolent fool."

That said, the wraith descends again, phasing through the side of the Horn a floor or so down.

24. - Top - End - #384

MindFlayer

"Yet another reason to get this ritual underway as soon as possible." Hal says as he steps back inside. "Are we waiting for the Knot Hibernal to get us a scroll of stone to flesh or do we have another plan that doesn't involve the witch and her thralls? I would prefer not to call on Tiadora."

Once inside Hal looks back to the others with a smile, "Since my plan for this evening's entertainment can't go ahead without the blood of an acolyte, how about we go kill a tree? Everyone can take an hour to prepare spells then meet me on the second level."
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-06 at 05:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kin has been relatively silent since the start of the conversation with Ezra. He frowned slightly at the thought of Ezra creating spawn, especially after his effort to keep the boggards on their side, but kept his silence. He groans inwardly at Kydrak's little display, and then perks up in interest at Hal's suggestion.

"You know, I've been waiting for something that needed burning. I'll be ready shortly."

OOC Spell Selection:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prepared spells:
    0th:
    Light
    Spark

1st:
    Burning Hands 0/1
    Mage Armor 0/1
    Vanish 0/2
    Mount 0/1

2nd:
    Fiery Sneeze 0/2
    Flaming Sphere 0/2

3rd:
    Blacklight 0/1
    Fly 0/1
    Dispel Magic 0/1
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386

Kydrak draws his sword and smiles. "Let's kill a tree."

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint glanced from one wizard to the next, they all seemed quite eager to chop down a tree. He didn't really see the appeal, outsmarting plants wasn't as hard as it sounded. All the same, he was at a loose end right now...

He jumped to his feet, the lure of action enough to draw him to attention.

"I'm up for a bit of forest clearing, we should probably be quick about it though. We don't want people sneaking in while we're out."

Show

28. - Top - End - #388

You exit the Horn and proceed towards the Caer Byr. There are, however, literally thousands of trees visible from the entrances to the Horn. None of them appear to be moving, beyond the usual swaying in the breeze.

(Any plan on how to find Jurak? Just wandering into the jungle yelling for him would likely work...)

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

After he enters the forest, a little way away from the Horn, Kin looks thoughtful for a moment, looking at his right hand. He clicks his fingers, once, twice, and sparks fly out, setting fire to nearby undergrowth. He grins.

"Anyone feel like a bonfire tonight?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope everybody brought Fly with them, just in case.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390

There is a deep groaning noise, and the tree right next to the fire shuffles forwards and smothers the nascent blaze beneath it's bulk.

"You are going to pay for your crimes, evil-doer."

You have just enough time to realize that the voice came from further within the jungle before the tree directly next to Kin also moves. It shuffles forwards on improvised legs made from its thick roots, and slams its heaviest branch straight down on top of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    One slam attack made against Kin.
    (1d20+17)[21] to hit, for (2d6+9)[12] damage.