Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 769
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    The Treant continues to suffer under your barrage, virtually unable to do more than stagger in the direction of the jungle and it's protective shadows.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, list of Jurak's stats:
    HP: 35/114
    Blinded for two more rounds
    Exhausted


    Party turn again.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

    Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

    Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Cloudsmeet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Down Under
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    "You're finished, and this forest is ours, treant!"

    Kin's left arm directs the roiling sphere of flame at Jurak once more, while the lizard swoops once more to breathe a sheet of flame. From his right arm, a ball of fire rests on his palm, arm ready to throw. He does so, and it explodes with a shockwave that Kin feels even as high in the air as he is, boiling the sap within the treant.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If the Flaming Sphere makes it:
    (3d6)[14] damage, DC 17 ref to negate

    If the familiar manages to sneeze on him:
    (3d6)[10] damage, DC 17 ref for half, if he fails DC 12 fort to avoid prone.

    And the fireball:
    Spontaneously converted from Blacklight, caster level 9, heightened by 1
    (9d6)[37] damage, DC 19 for half.
    Last edited by Cloudsmeet; 2012-10-11 at 07:05 PM.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Jurak the Elder, honored defender of the forest, staggers under the barrage of fire. He shrieks in pain, the sound echoing throughout the darkened jungle and then, as the fire spells super-heart the sap that serves for his blood... explodes.

    Charred pieces of bark rain down over the local area, several coming dangerously close to embedded themselves in Quint's torso. The animated trees shudder, then slowly settle into the ground, roots taking hold once more. And then, all is quiet.

    Everyone gains 1,000xp for the victory.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

    Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

    Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Buddy, are you hungry?

    Always the daemon practically cried as it sped down toward the burnt husk of the treant. Opening a maw far too large for such a small creature, Buddy tore into the deceased creature's essence, revelling in the consumption of a powerful soul.

    Clearly impressed by Kin display, Hal can't help but smile as he descends. Maybe this group is more powerful than he expected. Setting down on the forest floor he looks down to assess Ilvaria's condition. As he inspects the body his smile only falters briefly.

    "Shall we get this corpse back to the Horn? Buddy has trapped Jurak's soul, but we should not risk letting Ilvaria's body fall into the hands of our enemies. She knew too much and could reveal our plot even in death were her body taken."

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Glancing around to make sure no other trees would attempt to attack him, Quint lowered his wand. He walked through his illusory wall to check the body of the fallen Drow, limping slightly as he did so. He knelt down beside her to check for breathing and a pulse. Grimacing slightly, he stood up again. Turning to look up at the group above him he commented, "We really can't keep this up you know, there are only so many wizards that will dedicate themselves to this. But yes, the body of a Drow in these parts would raise many questions..."
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-10-12 at 07:37 AM.


    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show


    Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Glancing around to make sure no other trees would attempt to attack him, Quint lowered his wand. He walked through his illusory wall to check the body of the fallen Drow, limping slightly as he did so. He knelt down beside her to check for breathing and a pulse. Grimacing slightly, he stood up again. Turning to look up at the group above him he commented, "We really can't keep this up you know, there are only so many wizards that will dedicate themselves to this. But yes, the body of a Drow in these parts would raise many questions..."
    "What if the body isn't kept. I've always wanted a trophy cabinet of dead elves, and a drow would be a perfect centrepiece. I always thought necromancy was a bit of a useless magic, so I'll just keep dead bodies as trophies." Kydrak then picks up the dead drow and slings her over his back and flies towards the door and up into the horn.

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    The moment Kydrak approaches Ilvaria's broken form, the grass around them seems to spontaneously wither and die. The air grows heated, as though in front of an open furnace, and you can see her shattered ribs repairing themselves.

    There is a sudden snapping sound, and Ilvaria sits bolt upright, clutching at her heart. You think you can hear vague whispers on the edge of hearing, but they are mostly inaudible... and not in a language you speak.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

    Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

    Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Snowfire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sometimes I wish I knew..
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Down, down, down. Falling into fire and flame and the endless abyss. Blackness warped space around her, blood-red fires blazing far below her in apparent anticipation for the soul of the last daughter of House Lentrax. Falling and falling, endlessly and with no way back.

    Such a waste.

    Eyes snapped open and wide at the voice that resonated around her, echoing out through the endless blackness.

    You are weak, daughter. But you are also all we have left. And the oath was written not in ink, but in blood.

    Ilvaria's mind raced, back through memories of her time in the ruined hold of her original family. The books, the single scroll protected from the flames that radiated power - but accepted her touch. And the words in the language of her people, swearing terrible vengeance in this life and the next. And if that was-

    Her body jerked to a stop, limbs flailing for a moment like a marionette whose strings have just been pulled taught. The same blood as that which had written that oath held her, forcing her not to die even as her body lay shattered. And something powerful, and deadly beyond simple reason, wrapped its hand around her.

    The Oath will sustain you now, but it will fade. Exact our vengeance before it does and you will be free. Fail, and the next conversation we have here will be distinctly...unpleasant.

    And then it threw her upwards, bloody flame flaring around her body and spirit - forcing them back together. She felt the agony as her body was pieced back together, shattered bones reknitting as skin and tendons regenerated over them. And the flame thrust her into the body, forming lines of an ancient runic alphabet that she couldn't even recognise - let alone translate.

    Thus it was written

    Thus...it shall be...

    The air snapped as the Oath was recognised, and Ilvaria shot upright, clutching at her now beating heart. She shook her head, trying to clear it of the visions of fire and death, then looked around carefully.

    "I'm guessing from the burnt out treant corpse that we won..." She said finally.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-10-13 at 06:23 AM.
    Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

    I won. Not sure what though.

    Overwhelming emotion count (now with additional awe): 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

    <struck dumb>
    Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    I also look forward to playing with you, especially Snowfire, who I've played with before and is awesome.

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Cloudsmeet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Down Under
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Kin descends, giggling to himself about the force of the explosion that killed the treant, but stops, goggle-eyed at Ilvaria's resurrection as his wings fold into nothingness in his back.

    "By Asmodeus' left toe! Forget showing me drow torture techniques, you have to teach me how to do that!"
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Quint had been walking back towards their base of operations when he heard Kin's exclamation. An expression of surprise turned to one of amusement as he watched Ilvaria rapidly recover from what had been a fatal wound. Laughing, he applauded the newly revitalised Drow. As he did so, his skin rippled and changed to a much darker tone whilst his eyes became a pale white. Before long, he resembled one of the Deep Elves himself.

    "Bravo! Tell me, do all of your kin rise from the grave? Perhaps I should take a leaf out of your book, for who knows when our time must come?"


    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show


    Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    A pity, really. You would have made a very good centrepice, but I guess that can wait. It was obviously not Asmodeous's will for you to die now, so who am I to question that?"

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Victor touches down to the ground gently, also moving to the crumpled drow. As her body miraculously restores itself, he steps back in shock. He says nothing to the group, but mutters quietly to himself, "What have you done?"

  13. - Top - End - #433
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    This group may indeed be more powerful than Halifax expected. "Well done Ilvaria"

    Scrumptious Buddy declares as he burps audibly. Woah, what happened to her?

    "Shall we return to the Horn? Some of you still appear to be in need of repair. There is much to do tomorrow, so we will meet in the morning when you are healed to make plans for the ritual."

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    With Jurak gone, the path to the Horn, while not exactly easy, is essentially open once more. Over the following few days, the construction and repair teams sent by the Baron arrive and begin their work, efficient and discreet. They patch up the holes in the walls, using stone from the caves, and clean out the various wreckage and debris left by the Mitran's sacking of the fortress. The pit traps are repaired and rendered all-but-undetectable once again, the cages are reinforced, and the torture chambers are re-equipped.

    New furniture is moved in, plain and functional pieces that serve your purposes none the less. The magically preservative storeroom is refilled, and you estimate it should be quite possible to garrison at least eighty or so individuals here without too much discomfort. Ezra and his wraiths remain out of sight for the most part, and Hexor and Vexor continue guarding the stairway to the Sanctum, which remains undiscovered by the repair crews. One of the daemons moves the statue of the petrified cultist up to the Sanctum, so as to have it close at hand, and with Ezra's direction the Eyes are restored to the statue of Vetra-Kali, where they glitter wickedly.

    Eventually, everything is ready. You have your restored fortress, ready to be properly infested with monsters and inventive traps. You have the instructions for the ritual. You have the preserved member of the Sons of the Pale Horseman. All that remains is to perform the sacrifice, and begin the ritual.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

    Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

    Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    For the most part of the time the repairs are being made, Kydrak stays out of the horn. He goes elf hunting. He hunts them down, cpatures them, tortures them until he's bored and them displays a half dead elf in his room where they are left to die. Mostly he was just looking around for houses in the outslirts of Farholde, but he occasionally kidnapped them from inside Farholde. After a few days of that, he has four bodies slung up over the walls and the head of a particularly tough looking half-elf who needed killing quickly.

    The room looks like a visage of pure carnage but today Kydrak is sat there studdying his spellbook and choosing his spells for today and is sat in peaceful meditation, trying to memorise his spells. After on ohur of that, he leaves his bed chambers and goes up to the sanctum where the ritual is just about to begin. He smiles at the horn now it clean, it should be a lot nicer to live in.

  16. - Top - End - #436
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Victor spends his time intimately involved in the retrofits of the Horn, overseeing the workers. He treats them well, recognizing that cruelty wins him little, but he keeps a close eye out for anything sneaky. He also watches for especially talented craftsmen.

    When not directly involved in the retrofits, he is found in the workshop, working on his various projects, in this order: (fixed due to bad math and changed priorities - The headband and belt should be done within the first week.)
    • Headband of Intellect +2 (2,000 gp)
    • Belt of Dexterity +2 (2,000 gp)
    • Keg of Black Powder (100 gp)
    • Bullets x60 (6 gp)
    • Alchemical paper cartridges x10 (60 gp)
    • Masterwork Double-barreled Arcane Musket (1,250 gp)
    • Vest of Resistance +2 (Get's Hal to help for his higher caster level)(2,000 gp)
    • Boots of Elvenkind (he'll need to recruit Ilvara for her Elven-ness) (1,250 gp)
    • Cloak of Elvenkind (he'll need to recruit Ilvara for her Elven-ness) (1,250 gp)
    • Eyes of the Eagle (1,250 gp)


    For every project, he casts Crafter's Fortune on himself.

    If anyone gives him guff about this list, he makes it very clear that he intends to be on the front lines of any confrontation to comes after them, and he has no intention of taking unnecessary risks when they have the resources.

    He also spends time studying the golem, as he fully plans on learning to create them from scratch.

    The spells needed for these projects, I think we communally have, but checking here, in case I need to get any scrolls:
    Fox's Cunning
    Cat's Grace (I have it)
    Resistance
    Clairaudience/Clairvoyance

    He ignores Kydraks cruelty, but if anyone is paying attention, it's clear that he doesn't care for it.
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-10-14 at 09:44 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    The Ritual Begins

    Eventually, all the pieces are in place, and the Nessian Knot gathers in the Sanctum to perform the ritual. The statue of Vetra-Kali leers at you all, it's three eyes twinkling in the low light as, outside, the midnight skies reach their darkest point. The Wraith and the daemons cannot enter the Sanctum, not while the silver seal still exists, so they remain in the room below, as close as they can get before the radiance of holy energy repels them.

    Unholy water is splashed upon the altar, producing a faint sizzling sound as it runs down and contacts the glittering artifact chained here. In accordance with the ritual, the Knot begins to chant, strange and alien words echoing in the chamber. The scroll is produced, and with a faint flash of light, the cultist is returned to fleshy form. The poor sap has barely enough time to look around in surprise, the words of a question forming on his lips, before the ritual dagger slams into his chest. Bones break and blood runs as the sacrifice's heart is brutally cut free and deposited on the altar. For a long moment, all is silent.

    Then, slowly, the heart begins to beat once more. The air takes on a greasy feeling, and then the entire horn shakes with the echoes of a powerful, otherworldly voice.

    "Kazara Vo!"

    (For those of you who speak Abyssal)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I hear."


    There is a horrible shrieking noise, the the Horn of Abaddon explodes with green fire. In one glorious flash of energy, every last shred of the overgrown plant life covering its exterior burns away, horrific and Eldritch runes blazing to life all over the ancient stonework. The ground shakes, as though in the grip of a powerful earthquake, and the pillar of unearthly fire reaches high into the sky.

    In Farholde, they feel the shocks, and only the blind could miss the beacon. In his manor, Arkov Vandermir and Elise Zandire smiles and toast one another with glasses of fine wine. In Ghastenhall, the second city of Talongarde that lies so far to the south, they spy the flickering lights on the horizon, and many wonder in fear what it might foretell. And in the burned out ruins of an old roadside fort, Sakkarot Fire-axe, bugbear chieftain, sees the signal of his allies hard at work and laughs victoriously.

    Eventually, the fires die away and the minor earthquakes die down once more. The Horn is quiet again, though there can be no doubt that it's location is hardly a secret anymore. If the massive light show wasn't enough, there is still an aura of pale green energy clinging to the defiled stonework like a shroud. You are committed now, one way or the other.

    All that remains to be seen is how long you have before something tries to interrupt you...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

    Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

    Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

  18. - Top - End - #438
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    That night Hal and Ezra sit on the balcony, bathed in the green light of the Horn. Hal absentmindedly uses prestidigitation to colour several pebbles and white and has a board with a grid pattern prepared. "That was quite something wasn't it. Vetra-Kali is truly powerful. That said, I expect we've suddenly become a target for most of Talingarde." Hal stares at the night sky, taking it all in. This was really happening. Almost as an afterthought he adds "It was a shame that petrified fellow died so quickly, did you know him Ezra?"



    The next morning, as Halifax and Buddy ride through the forest, they discuss in earnest their future. Buddy isn't optimistic about working with the group, but Hal finds that he's feeling strangely good.

    Spotting a doe and her fawn, Hal spurs his spectral mount forward through the brush in chase. As they close with their quarry he summons a whip of crackling white light and lashes at the fawn. As the whip wraps around the young deer's neck it trips and crashes into the brush as its mother continues on without it. Dismounting, Hal approaches the mewling fawn and grabs it by the neck. Suddenly, with a strength not his own, he lifts the fawn into the air by the neck. He feels the animal's soul shatter in his grip and when the corpse has stopped kicking he casts it down on the forest floor.

    Hal grins at this new development. Appolyon is pleased. By releasing his child from imprisonment we earn his favor Buddy, what do you think of that?

    Buddy is struck silent by Hal's display, but eventually manages to mutter a response, You going to finish that?
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-10-15 at 10:43 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    A green glow? That's just unsightly...

    Sighing to himself, he picked up his spellbook and jotted down the finishing touches to a spell he'd been working on, it would hopefully prove invaluable in defending their humble home from unwanted guests.

    Jogging up to the top of the tower, he mentally prepared himself. The plan he had in mind would take a while to complete, it took a lot of power to create each part of his illusion, but it should be worthwhile.

    He soon arrived at the very uppermost entrance. Pausing in front of it, he took a moment to visualise what he wanted to appear.

    "Cheilt Dromchla"

    A section of smooth rock, giving off a faint green glow, materialised from nowhere and blocked off a part of the opening. Quint repeated the process twice more before sagging from the effort.

    Yes... Definitely a long term job...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quint is casting Illusory Wall to create a 10x10x1 ft. surface of stone mimicing the outer appearance of the Horn. He can cast this three times per day and will use it to cover over every entrance to the Horn, working his way down from the top. He'll take as long as he has to in order to complete the work, to this end he'll prepare Illusory Wall as his only Level 4 spell each day unless there are reports of enemies nearby, in which case he'll prepare Phantasmal Killer in all three slots instead.


    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show


    Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

  20. - Top - End - #440
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    "Impressive" Kydrak mutters under his breath, then speaks up to the others. It is now clear that there will be no hiding from anyone. If we're wanted dead. We will be killed unless we do something about it. We have to start making this the ultimate magical base and if everyone tries to help, then we can do this. Our goal is within our grasp; the fate of Talingarde is in our hands, and it shall burn! With that Kydrak thrusts his longsword into the air.

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Act Two - Thirty One Weeks

    It takes a little while to settle into a routine, but eventually everything seems to work out. Zikomo and the Boggards appear to have taken the beginning of the ritual as a sign of their god's favour, and while they are hardly pleased with most of you, they're certainly not attacking. Ezra and the Daemons are likewise practically ecstatic with anticipation as, each day, the ritual chants are performed and their lord comes another step closer to freedom.

    Just over a week into the ritual, an albino raven arrives at the Horn - Elise's familiar. It has a small scroll attached to its leg, and practically glares at you all until the message is taken, before immediately departing. The words are in the Infernal tongue, short and precise:

    A group of adventurers is heading your way. Local heroes, poor equipment, little experience. Intend to arrive in three days. The dwarf mentioned having been to the area before, intended to enter by the caves. Prepare them a proper welcome, would you? - Z

    Hallack Amon - Former Watch sergeant, some military experience. The leader.
    Sister Marta Dian - Priestess of Mitra. Successful zombie-fighting experience.
    Yorgun the Smith - Male dwarf blacksmith, experience unknown. Big hammer.
    James O'Toole - Human male. Bare hand brawler, famous for taking on all comers at local faire.
    Bianca DeVellya - Female Halfelf, local singer, knows some magic. Fond of Hallack.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

    Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

    Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Over the next week Kydrak tried to acquire some Ioun stones which would fit nicely on his face. He buys as many as he can find, then attaches them all to his face. But a small surprise came as two days before the adventurers arrived, there was another arrival. An ogre appeared at the base of the horn, but not just any ogre it was someone who seemed oddly familiar. He had asked for his audience immediatly and Kydrak grudgingly went to meet him. The ogre seemed excited to see him and spoke quickly. "I Grumblejack, we were in prison and we escaped, you said to find you and I came when I see green lights. I would like to work with you." Before Kydrak could respons Grumblejack seemed to have a kind of seizure and when he stood up, he had grown horns, he skin was reddish orrange and he had sprouted a set of fiendish wings. "Well, I'd never say no to a fiendish ogre companion... so yes Grumblejack you can work with me."

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Flashback to Victor's week in town

    Spoiler
    Show
    After leaving the Baron's manor, Victor is walking down a side street in the dark of night. He hears a commotion coming from an alley ahead. He hugs the corner of the building and peaks around the corner. He sees a woman with noble features, dark hair piled on her head, and wrapped in a rich cape being backed into a corner by 4 thugs. "Please," she says, her eyes wet and glistening, "I'll give you whatever you want."

    "That's nice missy, an' we're gonna take exactly what we want. All of it. You jes' keep nice an quiet, and maybe I won't give you a smile from ear to ear." With a lewd grin, he takes another step forward brandishing the knife in his hand. The other thugs chuckle ominously.

    Suddenly the tears are gone, and the woman's look of fear is replaced with one of droll entertainment. "Oh. Well in that case." Suddenly her cape whips open and a long curved blade appeared in her hand. In a burst of twirling fabric and steel, the thug fell to his knees, slices across his chest suddenly bleeding out, and his hands clasped to his head as his ear fell to the ground beside him.

    Suddenly unsure of the wisdom of their plan, the other three paused, looked at each other, and two of them charged together, the third not quite mustering the courage. In a wild dance of cloak and steel, one man suddenly flew past her headlong into the brick wall, slumping to the ground clutching a deep slash to his belly, while the other found his knife suddenly gone, and the woman's blade a foot deep in his chest. He slowly lowered to the ground, as she placed her foot squarely on his chest, and pushed him off the blade. Her eyes then moved to the remaining thug, who hand't moved in the passing seconds. [COLOR="rgb(221, 160, 221)"]"What's the matter, hon? Bother you that mine is bigger than yours? Don't worry, they say it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it. But I think I have you beat in that department, too. Oh well,"[/COLOR] she said with a sly shrug and raised her blade.

    Looking briefly at his puny blade, the thug re-evaluated his options, dropped his knife, and turned tail and ran. Just before he turned the corner, Victor stepped out, his gun pointed high. The night echoed with the crack of the gun and the man's feet flipped out beneath him as his head suddenly kicked back the other direction. He landed with a thud at Victor's feet, who barely spared a glance as he slowly walked towards the woman, his gun held out directly at her.

    [COLOR="rgb(221, 160, 221)"]"Oh poo Victor,"[/COLOR] she said with pout, her blade training on Victor [COLOR="rgb(221, 160, 221)"]"I could have gotten him myself. You didn't need to make so much noise."[/COLOR]

    "Reyna," he said coldly, "You shouldn't have followed me here. Who sent you?"

    Her laugh stopped him in his tracks. "Followed you? You think I'm here looking for you? Well, someone certainly has a high opinion of himself, doesn't he? Don't flatter yourself, darling. I'm here because word was sent to me by an old friend of mine that there was a scheme a foot where my skills could make me a LOT of money. Apparently someone needs an honest-to-gods noblewoman who can do more than wear a fancy dress."

    "Who was this friend?"

    "Oh an old Baron who fancied me once upon a time. Charming older fellow, with some excellent connections." By this time, they were only a few feet away, his gun at her face, and her sword at his chest.

    Victor chuckled, putting the pieces together. "Oh really, the Baron? Well it just so happens he's working for me. And apparently he knows more about me that I'd like. I supposed you could be useful. How do I know you won't try to kill me again?"

    "How do I know you won't try to kill ME again?"

    A moment passed, and suddenly the two were kissing fiercely, hungrily. She pulled away, breathing heavily, smiling. [COLOR="rgb(221, 160, 221)"]"Nine Hells, I missed you, Victor. This adventure had better be profitable, and fun."[/COLOR]

    "Oh, it will be. Especially with you here. Come with me, dear."

  24. - Top - End - #444
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Visiting the Boggards:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hal and Victor head down to the caves following the commencement of the ritual. Hal casts tongues to explain to Zikomo that the earthquakes and green aura were the results of the group's work upstairs. Hal avoids mentioning Kydrak, and tries to give the impression that he's the previous wizards' ally, not their partner. Semantics really, but if Hal can use the fact that he's a different race and not with the offending wizard to make him appear separate from the group he will.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Depending on the outcome of the first meeting the second may change.

    When they get word of incoming adventurers from Elise, the pair of wizards heads back down to inform the boggards. Hal tells Zikomo that the wizards expect some humans will be coming to the caves to attack the tribe and that, with Zikomo's permission, they will be organizing an ambush in the caves. Zikomo's help in keeping his tribesmen away from the humans so that the ambush works would be appreciated. Hal mentions that the humans are being guided by a dwarf; does Zikomo know who this dwarf might be?

    While there, Hal takes note of the boggards living conditions and proposes to Zikomo that Hal can help them improve their village defences, if they desire it. If Zikomo accepts his offer, he ask's the shaman what his tribesmen know about the jungle and if they could help him find resources to aid in Hal's fortifications. Specifically, Hal asks about a way to manufacture poison and if any dangerous monsters are nearby (specifically undead monsters). He also asks Zikomo if there are any other tribes in the area that, with Hal's help, could be coerced into joining this tribe.

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Zikomo seems entirely happy to keep his boggards back and out the way while you ambush the adventurers. He's never heard of a dwarf having been here before.

    As for poisons and monsters, he'll see what he can find in the local jungles. Other boggards may well come to join the tribe after the business with the ritual energy flare.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Kharal Zhou, Fire Aspect of Lookshy:

    Image and avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

    Taskforce Dragon: IC, OoC

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Comissar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Quint smiled broadly upon hearing that the Half-Elf was fond of another one of the would be heroes.

    "I'd like to take her alive. If we have to kill her, we will, but I've been itching for something to do."

    He went silent for a few seconds, a far off look in his eyes.

    "But... Let's focus on one thing at a time. Now, I would suggest we set up a fairly simple ambush at the mouth of the Horn. I'll construct an Illusion that will force them to group together while also hiding us within it..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quint's basically going to go on to outline the ambush plan I mentioned in the OoC thread (i.e. illusory "cave in" which we'll hide in then jump out with scary masks etc.).


    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show


    Halfling Bard and Sylph Illusionist by Akrim.Elf, Gnome Sorcerer and her Player by me.

  27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Snowfire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sometimes I wish I knew..
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Ilvaria grinned at Quint's words, eyes glinting with dark amusement.

    "Oh yes. Taking them all alive would be most fun though." Her smile turns somewhat twisted. "I've wanted to try out a few of Mother's tricks, but I haven't had the time..." She shakes her head. "But all that comes later.

    "If we let them pass us into the caves, my lovely little friend Mira," she gestures at the ethereal looking teenager who had arrived at the Horn a few days prior to the current meeting, "should be able to seal them inside our trap. If they run forwards, they can meet the Boggards - and Ezra if he is willing to work with us, I believe he would enjoy the opportunity to kill something.

    "Or we can go with Hal's slightly more complex - but perhaps far more fun - plan. More fun in that it should allow us to either separate them or catch them in a pincer."
    Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

    I won. Not sure what though.

    Overwhelming emotion count (now with additional awe): 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

    <struck dumb>
    Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    I also look forward to playing with you, especially Snowfire, who I've played with before and is awesome.

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    No. Ezra cannot be allowed to kill anything it will make him stronger and if he is stronger then he will try to kill us. The same for the Boggards neither forces are to be trusted. We should try to ambush them with the boggards and then we attack, capturing any we can and killing any we can't."

  29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Snowfire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sometimes I wish I knew..
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    No. Ezra cannot be allowed to kill anything it will make him stronger and if he is stronger then he will try to kill us. The same for the Boggards neither forces are to be trusted. We should try to ambush them with the boggards and then we attack, capturing any we can and killing any we can't."
    Ilvaria arches a delicate eyebrow at Kydark, then shakes her head. "Kydark, whatever he may wish to do he needs us right now. And it is a fool who does not make use of all the resources at their disposal. You're not a fool, are you?" Her inflection makes her opinion on the answer to that question quite clear. "Something that you should try to learn, little one, is that there is a great deal between trusting someone and using their abilities to aid you." She says sweetly, then turns her attention to the rest of the group.

    "Personally, I prefer Hal's plan. It's simple, elegant and forces the 'Heroes' to fight on our preferred - and most likely, prepared - ground. "
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-10-21 at 08:38 AM.
    Live life to the full, be happy in yourself and never slow down. We're here for a blink of an eye to the universe. Make the most of it.

    I won. Not sure what though.

    Overwhelming emotion count (now with additional awe): 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

    <struck dumb>
    Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    I also look forward to playing with you, especially Snowfire, who I've played with before and is awesome.

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

    Victor, sitting, has his familiar sketchbook out, and he doesn't look up as he speaks. Reyna is standing behind him, in her black dress, one hand on his shoulder, the other resting on the hilt of her sword.

    "While I'm not keen on the idea of using the Boggards for a direct assault, I'll wager they could do a good job of harrowing them on their trip. Especially if they we can disrupt their sleep during the night. What about a series of hit and run attacks, leading to the caves? If we're lucky, if we can get them running around the woods a bit, we may even be able to snatch one and reduce their numbers."

    He snaps his books shut with an idea. "I wonder if we can snipe at them from the balcony as they approach? Fireball has a pretty wicked range."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •