New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

Appreciating that Victor is taking the planning session seriously he nods in acknowledgement as the man speaks. Hal has felt guilty for leaving the man alone in Farholde and was quite impressed when he returned to the Horn unscathed. Even though he's come to appreciate Victor he can help but feel jealous of the man for bringing his lover to the Horn. Its been a year now since he's even talked to a halfling woman, but after what happened to the last woman he had a relationship with he still wasn't in the mood to chase tail.

"I fully expect the balcony will serve as a wonderful sniping location, however for the time being the upper levels aren't known to the group of interlopers. By ambushing them in the caves we maintain the element of surprise and don't reveal our true fortress. Similarly, having Boggards harassing them as the approach reveals that there's something at the Horn worth defending, and they may retreat to gather additional reinforcements." Hal says all this, while looking over the maps he has made of the area. Standing on a footstool he is still two heads shorter than the others but with the aid of mage hand can manipulate the coloured pebbles with ease.

Hal picks up one of several green pebbles and turns it over in his hand, "My desire to keep the Boggards out of the fight is motivated by two goals. First, I would like these frogmen to view us as their protectors. If they come to rely on us for protection, they will be far more obedient when it comes to working for us. Second, they are our hands. They are our scouts, our messengers, and our labourers; I want as many working for us as possible. Let's not lose workers when on our own we are more than able to deal with these adventurers. Zikomo tells me this site is holy to their race so more frogmen will come to join us. They'll be far more likely to join our tribe if the tribe is thriving under our protection."

As an afterthought he addresses Kydrak's concerns. "Now Kydrak, Ezra has offered to help us defend the Horn and I fully intend to take him up on the offer. Ezra knows, that as long as we live, we are forced to protect you from him so won't move against you."

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I agree, Hal on the matter of the Boggards. The frogmen could at least be spent on a greater force than this one."

Kin ponders for a moment, watching Hal manipulate his maps and pebbles with absentminded interest.

"Throwing balls of elemental fire off the balcony seems the most... expeditious way of dealing with them. But if we must keep them alive... I'd say an ambush is what we need. I support Quint's plan, personally. And Ezra? Well... if we keep him from doing anything we lose his trust. I say we use him and deal with the consequences later."
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

3. - Top - End - #453

"I don't want your protection from that blasphemer, I think that you should be more wise when dealing with him. We should not let him become any more powerful and should kill him before he causes to much trouble, he will not need us once the daemon is summoned, so if we let him build up an army, then that very same srmy will kill us just as we acheive our goal." He then looks to Ilvaria "You call me a fool, yet I killed the man that your race has wanted to kill for decades and none of your kin heard his scream as he died slowly and painfully, I did. I never signed a contract with you, so I am not bound by Asmodeous to not kill you. So unless you want to be killed, then do not cross me!" Kydrak then clasps his longsword.

4. - Top - End - #454

MindFlayer

"That blasphemer happens to worship my deity, Asmodean. You would do well to remember that this is the Horn of Abaddon, not Hell."

Hal's heart wasn't really in the threats. Crafting items in his windowless workshop all week had left him slightly depressed. Loneliness was getting to him again. This group was better company than he'd had in a year, but they sure weren't halflings.

"Look at it this way, Kydrak, if Ezra fights he just might perish in combat; is he stays behind he'll be able to ambush you if you're weakened in battle."

5. - Top - End - #455
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I would not need the fool weakened in battle."

Ezra materializes through the solid stone wall behind Hal, his faded robes fluttering slightly as he drifts across to float behind the Halfling. The undead priest smiles ghoulishly at Kydrak, his teeth disturbingly translucent. "If I decided to kill you, I would do it while you slept. You are limited to the passageways and halls of this temple, and no matter how carefully you guard yourself, eventually you will be caught alone and unprepared. I do not need rest, and I can wait in the walls themselves for my chance if necessary."

His point made, the wraith looks around at everyone else in the room. "Just ambush them from behind your illusions when they enter the caves. These are not holy warriors, armed with divine light and sanctified steel. They are a bunch of local braves seeking glory. Nothing more."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

"Then let us be about it."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

7. - Top - End - #457

MindFlayer

"Quite so Ezra. If you would rather him know how his end shall come, I'll stop trying to make excuses. I'm sorry Kydrak, but it seems your fate it sealed."

Hal can't help but grin at the half-elf's expense. Ezra's comic timing was impecable, and Buddy was laughing audibly above their heads. "I'm glad we can have a sense of humour about this"

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well then, that's settled."

Quint grinned at the assembled wizards, "I'll see you down there"

He casually walked out of the room, calling four coloured lights into existence and having them dance around him as he did so.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

9. - Top - End - #459

As the predicted time comes, you gather in the first cave with your cohorts, Quint's illusions serving to block the area from sight. The boggards have retreated deeper into the caverns, and Ezra is waiting in the rocks overhead, concealed from all view until called for. Hexor and Vexor, for their part, are not present, but can likely be summoned quickly should the situation take a turn for the worse.

You don't have to wait long before the band of adventurers emerges from the edges of the jungle and approaches the gaping maw of the Horn. First comes the man you can only assume to be Hallack, judging by the well worn breastplate and good quality sword. The ex watch-sergeant pauses at the limits of the forest, surveying the cave mouth carefully, before turning to share words with his companion, a stocky dwarf in leather armour who carries a large hammer braced against his shoulder. Behind them you can see a pair of women in hardy travelling clothes, one carrying a lute of some kind, watched over by a bearded giant of a man who does not appear to be carrying any particular weapons. This is as you expected.

What is not expected, however, are the other travelers that emerge from the woods shortly behind the first group. There are seven of them, and the majority appear to be elven hunters of some kind, all carrying bows. Their leader is a beautiful ebony skinned Elvish woman with golden hair, and even from here you can tell there is something almost other-worldly about her. She speaks to all of them now, in Common, and you can hear her words clearly even from the cave.

"Be cautious. The ones who slew Jurak are likely somewhere within."

The assorted members of the group nod seriously and begin advancing on the cave mouth in loose skirmish formation. There are at twelve people here in total, and you have only a few seconds to decide what to do.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

10. - Top - End - #460

MindFlayer

Didn't see that coming. I bet that witch didn't tell you on purpose.

Buddy, relay up now. Alert the daemons. Have them arrive behind the screen. Hal commands his familiar to action as a single bead of sweat coalesces on his forehead. Once the link is established he communicates with the team.

I don't know who those elves are and I don't care. Wait until they're inside the caves, then we take them down. Those bows won't be any good to them if they can't find targets. Elven vision in the dark is good, but yours is better Ilvaria. They merely adopted the dark, you were born to it.

As he speaks to the others he casts in preparation for the advancing host.

Hexor, Vexor, please be ready to transport available melee fighters into flanking positions for an assault on the elven leader. Kin, I sure hope you brought the fire, cause we're going to need it.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You know, sometimes the fire just don't cut it," Kin says, cooly. "Sometimes you just have to bring... the frost."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some empowered Rime Spell empowered frostballs coming right up. Did we plan on someone else casting BlackLight, or shall I open with that first?

Also, sorry about the cheesiness. I couldn't resist.
    Last edited by Cloudsmeet; 2012-10-23 at 10:19 PM.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462

The group approach the cave mouth cautiously, weapons readied and steps carefully placed. They are perhaps 30ft away, though somewhat spread out, when one of the human women raises a hand and points straight at your illusions.

"None may hide from Mitra's light." she calls out in a loud voice, and the illusions you were using to conceal your presence shatter like glass.

Combat:
    Group initiative: (1d20+4)[7]
    Enemy initiative: (1d20+3)[19]

13. - Top - End - #463

The elves open fire immediately, showering you with a barrage of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Six elves with bows.
    Against Reyna, Victor's cohort. Flat footed.
    (1d20+10)[27] for (1d8+3)[6] damage
    (1d20+10)[30] for (1d8+3)[11] damage

Against Kin's cohort. Who I believe is here. Flat footed.
    (1d20+10)[22] for (1d8+3)[4] damage
    (1d20+10)[12] for (1d8+3)[4] damage

Against Mira, Snowfire's cohort. Flat-footed again.
    (1d20+10)[15] for (1d8+3)[11] damage
    (1d20+10)[23] for (1d8+3)[8] damage

Their ebony-skinned leader seems to shift and change. Her legs meld together into a thick tail, and a pair of golden feathered wings sprout from her back. (Knowledge [planes] will work out what she is). "Know, evil-doers, that you die this day in payment for the murder of Jurak the Elder, a good and dear friend." she calls out in a clear voice, before pointing imperiously at Grumblejack. The ogre can feel her Eldritch magic tugging at his limbs, seeking to hold him in place even as Hallack and the Dwarf charge him, weapons flashing in the light.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grumblejack needs to make a DC 16 will save, or be paralyzed. If he is paralyzed, each of the following attacks gain another +4 to hit him, but he's flat-footed against them anyway.
    (1d20+16)[25] from Hallack, for (1d8+6)[10] damage
    (1d20+13)[23] from Yorgun, for (4d6+15)[25] damage, sneak attack.

The cleric and the half-elven bard are hanging back, the latter starting up an inspiring tune that resonates with magic. The bare-hand brawler is advancing, though he hasn't reached any of the party yet, apparently serving as a reserve force.

14. - Top - End - #464

Critical confirmations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Against Reyna:
    (1d20+10)[23] for an extra (1d8+1)[5] damage.

Against Grumblejack:
    (1d20+13)[22] for an additional (4d6+26)[38] damage.

Whoops, ignore the roll against Grumblejack. I cannot do maths.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2012-10-24 at 11:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint frowned in irritation at having his illusion pierced so simply. His displeasure was relieved a little when he saw the man who was presumably "Hallack" charge forwards.

"Eagla bréagach"

With a twist of his wrist, he bought forth an image of the man's deepest fears and sent it hurtling towards him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint is casting Phantasmal Killer at Hallack. The DC for the saves is 19.

Damage roll (assuming failed Will but passed Fort.) - (3D6)[11]

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

16. - Top - End - #466

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor quickly unleashes a burst of blinding Glitterdust on the archers. He then ducks for cover behind a stalagma-something-or-other. He hastily traces a rune of electrical power in the air and imbues it into his arcane pistol. He then casts a spell of speed on the group.

Standard - Cast Glitterdust. Targetting archers, but try to catch as many others as possible in the 10ft radius spread. DC 17 Will save to not be blinded. Will last for 6 rounds.
    Move - Find cover!
    Swift - Sacrifice Grease to imbue his gun with the Shock property.

Glitterdust details
    Spoiler
    Show
    CASTING
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S, M (ground mica)

EFFECT
    Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area creatures and objects within 10-ft.-radius spread
    Duration 1 round/level
    Saving Throw Will negates (blinding only); Spell Resistance no

DESCRIPTION
    A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades. Each round at the end of their turn blinded creatures may attempt new saving throws to end the blindness effect.

Any creature covered by the dust takes a -40 penalty on Stealth checks.

False Life HP roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0] Botched this, sorry.

Reyna HP 28 / 50

Memorized Spells
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level
    Mage Armor (cast)
    Grease (sacrificed)
    Burning Hands (gun)
    Shocking Grasp
    Ray of Enfeeblement (gun)

2nd Level
    False Life (cast)
    Glitterdust (cast)
    Scorching Ray (gun) x2

3rd Level
    Lightning Bolt
    Fly
    Haste
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-10-24 at 01:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467

SwashbucklerGuy

False Life HP roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10+6)[11]

Victor HP 53 / 53
    AC 18

Active spells: False Life, Mage Armor
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-10-24 at 01:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468

SwashbucklerGuy

Reyna moves forward, engaging Hallack or the Dwarf, whichever is more direct, and unleashes a Dazzling Display, which attempts to Demoralize all opponents in 30 ft.

Intimidate roll (1d20+7)[8] vs and the success DC for each opponent is 10 + the target’s Hit Dice + the target’s Wisdom modifier.

Demoralize Details
    Spoiler
    Show
    Demoralize

You can use this skill to cause an opponent to become shaken for a number of rounds. This shaken condition doesn’t stack with other shaken conditions to make an affected creature frightened. The DC of this check is equal to 10 + the target’s Hit Dice + the target’s Wisdom modifier.

Success: If you are successful, the target is shaken for one round. This duration increases by 1 round for every 5 by which you beat the DC. You can only threaten an opponent this way if it is within 30 feet and can clearly see and hear you. Using demoralize on the same creature only extends the duration; it does not create a stronger fear condition.

Fail: The opponent is not shaken.

Demoralize Action

Demoralizing an opponent is a standard action.

(ooc) Well poop, she's not gonna scare a puppy with that roll!
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-10-24 at 01:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469

MindFlayer

With a scream of fear, Hal runs to find cover from the hail of arrows behing a stalactite.

Very convincing, if I didn't know better I'd think you were actually scared.

Let's hope they found the performance equally convincing, Buddy. Get above the stalactites. I need you to tell me if one of us casts a fire spell so I can shut those archers down. Broadcast an alert when it happens so none of us are blinded by the effect. Hexor and Vexor, would you be so kind as to slow these fools down for us? Ezra, I believe that ogre could use your assistance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to cover as if trying to escape the party, ready pyrotechnic fireworks. DC 17 or blinded for 1d4+1 rounds.

Buddy moves to the cavern roof.

I assume greater ceustodaemons don't lose their ability to cast slow? Prioritizing the lillend and adventurers over the archers for all in range.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria moves back into cover, hands moving in an intricate pattern and she smiles at the outsider, wracking her brain for details on what it might be.

"I think you all could do with a little Silence. She calls to the lagging group, hands finishing their movement and carpeting the area containing the outsider and the two spellcasters in supernatural quiet. As she vanishes into the twilight, a small crossbow drops from a concealed sheath into her hand.

"And perhaps some Colour as well." Mira continues, a fan of rainbows exploding from her hands towards the foes attack Grumblejack, surrounding them with blinding patterns before she, too, carefully withdraws into the shadows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilvaria retreats into the darker areas of the cave and seeks cover before casting Silence on the area containing the Lillend, bard and cleric. Mira casts Colour Spray on Hallack and the Dwarf, angling the cone so that it avoids her allies and hits the brawler as well if possible. She then withdraws into cover as well.

Ilvaria also is spending her swift action to draw her Hand Crossbow from her spring-loaded wrist sheath.

No save on the Silence, as it is centered on a point of space. And the colour spray treats all affected by it as if their HD was -5 due to Awesome Display. So, as I believe I can safely assume their HD is not more than ours, DC 17 will save vs unconsciousness.

Roll for unconscious, blinded, and stunned (2d4)[7]

Roll for blinded and stunned (1d4)[1]

Ilvaria K:Planes (1d20+8)[20]

Mira K:Planes (1d20+5)[25]
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-10-24 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

21. - Top - End - #471

Before the battle Kydrak buffs Grumblejack with a Mage Armour, Haste, Bull's Strength and Bear's Endurance.

Grumblejack snarls at the oncoming attackers but is then paralyzed by their spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will save (1d20+3)[10]

OOC: Would spell resistance 16 stop the spell from working?
    Last edited by Thattaman; 2012-10-24 at 02:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #472

Hallack glances at Quint as the illusionist unleashes his spell. Whatever he sees in the vision, it is clearly horrific beyond words - the ex-sergeant clutches his chest and topples over, stone dead.

"HALLACK!" The dwarf roars, anger and fear both equally apparent in his tone. So enraged is he that he barely even seems to notice the brilliant spray of colour that comes his way. The cleric and the bard are also clearly distressed, but whatever cries they make are swallowed whole by the magical silence.

Two of the Elves stagger backwards, clutching at their eyes in a desperate attempt to clear them from the blinding dust. They don't get the chance - with twin cracks, Hexor and Vexor appear, flanking the archers. With identical grins in their daemonic faces, they open their fanged maws wide and exhale wide cones of crackling lightning. The archers scream, burn and die, leaving the daemons to turn towards their fellow outsider.

"Well, hello there..."

Ezra, however, is nowhere to be seen.

23. - Top - End - #473

Kydrak, irritated by his Cohort being paralyzed opens fire at the group of adventure. He releases a huge ball of fire at the heroes trying to envelop as many as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball damage (7d6)[14]
    DC 18 reflex for half damage.

24. - Top - End - #474

The cleric and the bard wince and stagger backwards as the magical flames sear their flesh. The bare handed brawler, however, evades the explosion with seeming ease.

25. - Top - End - #475

MindFlayer

Everyone look away now! Buddy screams through the link as Hal looks out from cover to trigger his spell.

As the fireball detonates, a flash of white light blinds the unprepared.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 17 Will save to negate. Should I roll once for all targets ((1d4+1)[4]) or do you prefer a roll for each affected by the spell?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kin draws an ornate iron rod and raises it until it points out of the horn and towards his enemies. A wordless mutter, and fire grows on the tip and grows until there is a flickering ball half again the size of the balls of fire he threw at Jurak. Another smattering of arcane keywords and the fireball implodes, to be replaced with the fury of the hailstorm.

Kin then thrusts the rod through the heart of the storm and it flies up, up and away, landing to detonate amongst his enemies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting a Rime Spell Empowered Fireball admixtures to cold, targeting as many archers as I can as well as, if possible, the bird lizard lady.

Damage: (15d6+22)[73] with a DC19 reflex save for half.

If the targets take any cold damage, they are entangled for three rounds, i.e the original level of the spell. No save, as far as I can work out.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477

The Lliend flinches as the magical barrage freezes her flesh - a serious wound, if not immediately fatal. You can see her eyes darting back and forth, rapidly trying to sum up the situation. Her elven allies dead, and two powerful daemons inbound. The humans staggering, covering their eyes all too late. The dwarf, though unblinded, still surrounded by your forces.

The chaotic good outsider spits a curse in her own tongue, and takes to the sky on wings still covered in frost. You see her start to change directions sharply, and then vanish into invisibility.

Yorgun the Smith, for his part, makes his decision clear. The giant, two-handed hammer in his grasp swings around with all the force of a tsunami, and bludgeons Grumblejack's skull into bloody paste.

Spoiler
    Show
    Coup de grace attack on Grumblejack, who is Helpless. That's an instant critical effect, for a total of (8d6+39)[55] damage. Even if that doesn't kill the ogre, Grumblejack needs to make a Fortitude save with a DC of 10+the aforementioned damage, or die instantly.

The moment the dwarf steps over the shattered corpse of the ogre, Ezra strikes. The wraith rises up from the ground behind the Dwarf and plunges his translucent fingers into Yorgun's chest. The smith gasps in shock and pain and begins falling to his knees. Nearby, the three humans are meeting similar fates at the hands of Ezra's wraith spawn. Blinded, with two of them unable to make a sound, they are easy prey.

Spoiler
    Show
    And we're out of combat. That was surprisingly quick and brutal. Everyone gets 2,400xp. I'll post loot soonish.
    Oh, and Ezra seems to be in the process of turning the humans into more wraith-spawn. I get the impression that someone might be about to object

28. - Top - End - #478

MindFlayer

"Ezra, please call off your wraiths."

Shocked that Ezra didn't mention having a host of undead in their earlier discussion, Hal can't help but feel that the wraith has betrayed his trust.

"I need as many alive as possible. If they still live, I want them kept that way; if they are dead, Buddy shall consume their souls."

29. - Top - End - #479

"There are better uses for their souls than feeding them to a Cacaodaemon." Ezra says calmly, even while the dwarf at his feet continues to pale.

30. - Top - End - #480

MindFlayer

Hey, I take offense at that.

"Indeed there are, but these foes fell easily, showing the Horn does not need additional guards. I still desire prisoners. I had hoped that with enough subjects, in time I could find a way to make a suitable host body for you; but I can't do that if you kill them all and deny me the ability to amass a large enough bounty of souls to sacrifice. Let them live and we are that much closer to our goal. Let them become wraiths and we get nothing."