New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

"Shall I move the amulet to somewhere more secure Hexor or would you like to keep it with you?" Hal seems slightly distracted by Van's carnivorous sampling of various vital organs from the moon dogs.

"Thank you for your aide Ezra. Perhaps next time you could volunteer your wraiths to help us locate the intruders with their lifesight. let's go Van, we should get that blood off you."

"Too chewy," Van mutters as she follows Hal through the door to his workshop, throwing a bloody chunk of moon dog to the floor. "Don't want. I'll see you later big brother."

Buddy lets out a large belch. Delicious. Your brother is really missing out on a good meal, eh Hexor? Halifax was a fool to go to the Sanctum, he should have stayed and fought with you. I gotta ask though, why didn't the Thrice Damned help you? Where was he when Vexor was getting punted from this plane?

2. - Top - End - #542

MindFlayer

When the partygoers return from Farholde Hal, Van, and the blood-soaked skeletons of two celestials are there to greet them. Welcoming them back, Hal tells them of the extra-planar incursion and the loss of Vexor. Retreating to the war room he asks Ilvaria to brief him on how the organization was functioning and what she had learned from their supposed allies. At first pleased that the adventuring shop cover seemed to be working quite well, Hal was disappointed with how much information the partygoers had divulged to the Baron and the witch. The more they knew about the Horn's defences the easier it would be for them to betray the Nessian Knot.

When Ilvaria tells him about the inquisitor, he and Van both recoil. Van runs from the room crying, mounts Moon, and flies off into the night. Hal asks the drow to excuse him, and retreats to his chambers. Van ran; just like she ran when the others were burning on Harkon's pyre. Hal can't help but suspect, this might be too much for her already broken mind to handle. Tori's death, and the year of isolation that followed, had broken Van and she showed no signs of healing.

Summoning Buddy to his side, the pair hold a brief discussion before calling upon guidance from on high. With daemonic confirmation of Harkon's involvement, their faces both grow serious and they agree that the group needs to be properly warned.

When the Knot, Ezra, and Hexor have all gathered in the war room, Hal begins. "As many of you know, our actions here have drawn the attention of the Mitran Inquisition. Incurring such unwanted attention is inevitable, given the scale of this undertaking. Buddy and I have ascertained the identity of the inquisitor; Father Matthias Harkon."

Not expecting a reaction from the others, Hal continues, "This man is trouble you've not known. Harkon, and his band of trained inquisitors, is deadly. This fortress is ready to repel waves of Talingarde's soldiers and squadrons of knights, but we are not ready for this man. We won't see him coming nor will we know rest as long as he hunts us. This won't be a palms-up military attack, he'll come at us sideways. Its how he thinks. He'll hit us where we're weakest, exploit flaws we don't know we have."

"We aren't ready."

Van stands in the doorway, her eyes red and puffy from the tears. "But we will be"

Hal smiles momentarily at Van's return before becoming grim once more. "Yes. We will be ready. He doesn't know that I'm here, and that takes away his advantage. We will kill him."
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-11-22 at 02:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint watched Hal and Van's reaction to the news about the inquisitor with a great deal of bemusement. It was clear from their behaviour that they'd had a less than pleasant experience with the man.

"Melodrama aside, I fail to see this 'Harkon' being as much of a problem as you're describing. He is simply a man, and subject to all the limitations that brings. With the forces at our disposal I cannot see him posing a large threat. Let him think he has an advantage, hubris makes for an excellent means of control. We know he's not yet arrived, that lets us lay our trap."

Quint leans over the map of the Horn, scanning it for a suitable ambush site.

"Here's what we do, we make two 'holes' in our defenses. The first will be an obvious gap. If he is as smart as you say, he will anticipate an ambush at that point and search for another way into the Horn. That's when he'll find our second gap. We'll make it difficult to access, but still doable. If we make it appear as though we've made an effort at hiding it, he'll be less concerned that we're expecting him to find it. He'll still expect a modicum of defense there though, to that end we station a small number of skeletons along with myself. We want the skeletons to provide just enough of a challenge to slow them slightly, but at the same time they must get past them quickly enough to be able to chase me.

Now, as soon as they appear I'll run deeper into the Horn, leading them to our ambush. I'll use illusory walls to hide our forces, they should be focused on me enough that they don't notice the illusions. It should be a simple matter to use a magical alarm to alert you when they reach the ambush, thus allowing you to know they've arrived without needing to see them. Then we spring our ambush and make a mess of them.

We'll need to be prepared for them to enter through a different route of course. I'd suggest stationing a reasonable number of our forces on the third floor, in case they manage to get past us. Again, a magical alarm would allow us to be aware if they reach there without our prior knowledge.
    "

Quint leans back, satisfied that his plan should work.

"Any questions?"

Il'Tara stepped forward, "Yeah, I've got one," She points at Hal and Van, "Why're you two so scared of him? He'll bleed like anyone else."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

4. - Top - End - #544

MindFlayer

"He'll bleed, but so will we. To underestimate him would be to dishonour the memories of those who burnt on his pyres. That I will not do."

Van studies Il'Tara with her head cocked to one side. "You're not afraid of the fire. That can change."

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria tilts her head, almost appraisingly, at the two haflings. "You lost to him before, didn't you." She says softly, the words a statement far more than a question. "How did you escape, Halifax? How were you not at your pyre?" She shakes her head. "And her, your little cult-sister." She indicates Van. "How did she get away?

"Interesting, is it not, that she arrives and suddenly an Inquisitor who you have crossed paths with before comes." A ebon hand rises quickly, before any reaction can come. "I do not accuse you of treachery - I know the presumed 'justice' and 'mercy' of Mitrans. It is simply...curious."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-11-25 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

6. - Top - End - #546
    Firbolg in the Playground

Right. Everyone, please post where your character may be found just after dusk. Remember to include any cohorts, your Nightmares and your hellhounds.

You have just completed the dusk ritual for the day, and are now at liberty for the night when the mysterious event happens. Thus far, your spies in town (in addition to the Seventh Knot) have nothing to report. So mostly, this is a case of how you spend your evenings. Any specific defenses are those which you maintain at all times out of paranoia.

Disposition of minions:
    - The first floor is abandoned. The teleporter throne there has been hidden away behind an illusion of a daemonic statue.

- There are eighteen Boggards, plus Zikomo, in the caves. Likewise, the mud Elementals. That said, with the secret staircase blocked off, they are mostly irrelevant unless summoned to help.

- There are six skeletal archers in each guard room on the second floor. If anyone attempts to get it, they have been instructed to attack them, while also ringing a gong.
    - Also on the first floor are the skeletons of the previous adventurers and the Moon Dogs, guarding the entry hallway.

- On the third floor, the other twelve skeletal archers are guarding the balcony. They have instructions to fire on anything flying up, and will also ring a gong to sound the alarm.
    - Guarding the main hallway are the skeletal hydra and the Tatzlywyrms. They are going to attack anyone who makes it insides, with an emphasis on bull rushing them into the pit traps.
    - Hexor is guarding the landing at the bottom of the sanctum spiral. Ezra and his wraiths are making long circuits through the entire Horn.

So. Where are you all? If you do not answer inside of 36 hours, I shall assign your position.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

7. - Top - End - #547

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    "Interesting, is it not, that she arrives and suddenly an Inquisitor who you have crossed paths with before comes."
    "The Mitrans' interest in us may have more to do with the fact that we are currently inhabiting a giant beacon that has been radiating evil for weeks now. My source tells me that Harkon doesn't know that either Van or I is here, so it is unlikely Van was followed."

Positioning:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe Quint and Hal agreed that covering the throne in a stone shell would be more effective, so depending on the timing of the encounter, Van may have done that.

Hal will be crafting in his workshop on four of the evenings. He'll be keeping his entire group on alert, and ready to run through the new doorway to Hexor if the alarm is raised.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Headband of Intelligence: (1d20+20)[39]
    Headband of Wisdom: (1d20+20)[33]

Van and her pack of hell hounds, moon dogs, and tatzlwyrms will be there as well. Instead of playing with the beasts she'll be sitting quietly, lost in thought.

Moon stays in her stable/lightning-scarred room. The Hydra is as mentioned, but didn't we have a minotaur as well? The one from the preservation room. He'll go on the second floor with the former adventurers.

Hal will be very vocal in his admiration of the hunters who captured the hydra and give them each a head as a trophy. Zikomo is asked to have his tribe stay vigilante for signs of scouts in the surrounding jungle and be ready to defend their village.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint continued his work of concealing the various doorways within the horn, musing over strategies to deal with the incoming Inquisitor and his retinue as he did so. He kept Il'Tara under close guard during his work, tasking her with maintaining a lookout for enemies. Upon casting his final illusion for the night, he returned to the war room to pour over the maps a little longer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how far along Quint's gotten with his walls, so he'll just continue progressing as he has been until he runs out of spells before returning to the war room. Il'Tara's sticking close to him.

Show

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria ensures the completion of the ritual each dusk, not particularly requiring sleep - trancing doesn't count - being a boon for the drow. She then stays in remains in the Sanctum, watching over the Eyes in shifts with Mira - both Priestesses remaining in the Sanctum at all times - until dawn.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

10. - Top - End - #550

Spoiler
    Show
    I am aware that I am technically going ahead with this before the deadline I set. However, said deadline will pass while I'm asleep, as I'll shortly be heading off to bed, and I wanted to get the ball rolling. Kin and Kydrak are therefore assumed to be in the Death's Head Tavern, mostly because that's where the food and drink are.

If there's one thing your group of diabolists have been coming to realise lately, it's that when things go bad, they go spectacularly bad. Tonight, it seems, is going to be another case in point.

Quint and Il'Tara are halfway through debating a possible route of attack for any adventuring groups when they are interrupted by a faint crack noise. In the space of an eye-blink, the War Room is considerably more crowded.

The new arrivals number ten humanoids, all armed and seemingly ready for battle. Three of them are tough looking veteran soldiers in dark blue uniforms, carrying wicked looking halberds. Two of them - a human and a dwarf - are clearly priests of some kind, already holding their holy symbols ready. A further two are just as obviously ner-do-wells, a skinny looking human holding a short sword and a hulking half-orc grasping a pair of daggers. Off to one side stands an exotic looking human woman in red silk, watched over by her bodyguard, a massive Ifirit wielding an enchanted falchion.

Leading them all, and far too close for your personal comfort, is a rangy looking man in a dark red robe over glittering Mithril armour. His pale blue eyes are sharp and filled with the fires of fanaticism, and in one hand he wields a Longsword that is wreathed in arcane fire.

Matthias Harkon, Inquisitor of Mitra and Scourge of the Unfaithful, looks at Quint and smiles. It is not a pleasant expression.

Spoiler
    Show
    And here we go. Ten attacking individuals, spread out around the War Room. Quint and Il'Tara get one turns worth of actions here before we roll for initiative, as the enemy are caught mildly off guard by your presence. I advise you to chose your actions carefully.

Ilvaria can, for the sake of convenience, be assumed to be watching the War Room in the scrying gems at this moment, and can therefore also act if she wishes to.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint blinked in surprise at the appearance of so many armed individuals in the war room. He was in no way ready to deal with them and he cursed his luck that they had arrived right where he was. Keeping his eyes on them, he quickly said, "Il'Tara, ţurfum viđ ađ hlaupa. Fariđ upp ţegar viđ erum út úr ţessu herbergi, reyna ađ finna hjálp. Nú!"

The two of them burst into motion and raced for the door, taking advantage of the brief disorientation brought on by teleportation. As they neared the first branch in the corridor, Il'Tara yelled "Ţú ferđ til vinstri!"

Nodding, Quint peeled off to the left while Il'Tara headed right.

For those who understand Ignan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Il'Tara, we need to run. Split up when we're out of this room, try to find help. Now!"
    "You go left!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint and Il'Tara are going to run from the room and into the corridor beyond, I'm not sure how far they'll get but Quint will head left as soon as he is able whilst Il'Tara will head right. Both are looking for help.

Show

12. - Top - End - #552

The two companions run at full tilt through the corridors of the Horn. Quint finds himself in the Fane of the Three-Eyed Prince, where the statue of Vetra-Kali stares ominously down at him. There is, unfortunately, no one here at present... and no way out of the room save back the way he came, or into the concealed treasure chamber off to one side.

Il'Tara, having headed right, manages to make it to the end of the corridor. Remembering that Hal has taken up residence in one particular room, she opens the door and finds both him and Val inside with their retinue of undead. The Ifrit does not get a chance to explain, but fortunately, she does not need to. Father Mattias Harkon's voice echoes through the upper level.

"Brothers! Slay the heathens! In Mitra's name!"

His voice is very distinctive. Hal and Van are never likely to forget it.

Spoiler
    Show
    And rolling some initiatives. I'm actually going to do this IRL so I don't need to screw around with the dice roller on here. See the OoC thread shortly for the overall initiative order.

13. - Top - End - #553

Harkon's Hands begin moving out into the corridor behind their fleeing prey. Again, you hear that distinctive voice.

"With me, Miss DeMarco. They must not be allowed to escape."

A barrage of sacred light and searing fire slashes at the air around the rogue, a fortunately significant proportion of it missing. However, two vicious lines of arcane fire burn their way up her flank - although the Ifrit's racial tolerance for fire saves her life, she still takes a nasty total of 21 points of damage from the barrage.

Quint, meanwhile, finds himself being pursued into the Thane by three of the invaders. Two of the soldiers advance on him with halberds held ready, while behind them, the human cleric can be seen backing them up, a nimbus of holy power building around his form as he blesses his companions with the divine strength of the Sun-God.

"Pleading to your foul god won't save you, heretic. Surrender now, and you have my word on the Shining Lord that your end will be swift and painless." One of the soldiers says in a determined voice.

All over the Horn

Everyone can feel the sudden change in the air - an odd sort of electrical frisson. The experienced Wizards among the group recognize the sensation immediately - it's the same static given out when two opposing magical forces collide. Something is clearly going on upstairs, but you have no idea what. Still, investigating might prove prudent.

It is now the turn of several of the party members. Quint, Hal, Ilvaria and their cohorts, please take your turns within... say the next 24 hours or so. After that, the opportunity for action will be lost whenever I move onto the next load of enemies.

14. - Top - End - #554

MindFlayer

As Harkon's pronouncement fills the air Van's face pales. The world starts to tilt as her vision blurs and the contents of her stomach rise in her throat. No...

Her reverie is broken by a firm touch on her shoulder. "Van" Hal is staring into her eyes, "are you here?"

Time seems to freeze for a moment as Hal's calm voice draws her back to the present. "Tori" is all she can manage to say as she lifts her shield. "For Tori"

For Tori

"For Tori."

Their moment is broken when the Ifrit bursts through the door. "Il'Tara! Where is Quint!"
    *[Assuming she informs him that he's trapped in the Fane]*
    "We end this here. Buddy, link up and get out there. Eyes on Harkon."

Hexor! You must gather the Asmodeans and cut off their retreat. They cannot be allowed to use the Circle to gain access to the rest of the Horn.

Ezra Thrice-Damned! Bring all the wraiths! They are coming from the War Room, engage their rear guard and any casters.

Moon! Ready the nightmares to charge on Buddy's signal.

As he tries to structure the defence, his gaze remains locked on Van as they walk together to the door. "Be safe" he whispers as he conceals her with a spell. "I can't lose you again"

"You won't" he hears, as the patter of her feet fades into the erupting cacophony.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Hal casts Invisibility on Van.
    • Van casts Bless on the assembled horde. If she can make it, she'll use her 30ft move to leave the room; but won't if it means she blocks the door or can't get out of the firing line for Harkon's team. All the undead, Il'Tara, Hal as well as Hexor and the hydra (if they're within 50ft) get +1 to attacks and saves vs fear.
    • Buddy takes a full move to get out into the Hall and relays everything he sees to Hal, Van, and Il'Tara.
    • The two hellhounds move out with Van, readying breath weapons against a charge.
    • The skeletal Moon Dogs move out as well, getting behind the hydra if thewill reening the door for Hal.
    • The tatzlwyrms are the slowest and head straight out the door for Harkon's force.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-11-28 at 01:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555

The corridor is approximately twenty foot across, so it is a little tightly packed and not everyone can fight at the same time, but there is room for a decent number of individuals.

Buddy can see Harkon standing in the corridor, wielding his flaming sword. At his side are one of the soldiers, and the lady in red silk - presumably this 'Miss DeMarco'. Judging my the evidence, she is the spell caster responsible for injuring Il'Tara. The rest of the enemy group is out of Buddy's immediate sight.

"It appears they have a Necromancer. Master Posca, front and centre. We need to push through!" Harkon calls out, his voice filled with wrath. "Is that you, Halifax Eater? You escaped the pyres once, but no one evades me twice!"

From the direction of the improvised stables, you can hear movement and angry snarling as the Nightmares begin to move around into position. The narrow confines of the rooms are making it difficult for them to negotiate at speed, but they can likely make it into the War Room shortly. Ghostly wailing begins to echo around the interior of the Horn as Ezra Thrice-Damned and his wraiths begin moving in to intercept as well.

The Death's Head

Hexor appears in the middle of the tavern with a sharp crack, almost upsetting the table where Kin, Kydrak and his brother are seated. The daemon wastes no time on small talk. "It would appear that Inquisitor has arrived sooner than expected. He's upstairs right now, so if you'll just come along..."

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Il'Tara staggered under the fury of the flames, the intensity of them surprising her. Gritting her teeth, she took some of the heat into herself and turned it back, releasing a backwash of fire in the direction of the group following them. It was only then that she realised just how badly she'd been hurt. Limping, she tried to get behind one of the creatures occupying the room alongside her.

Quint arrived in the Thane and turned to face his pursuer's. He wasn't going to be able to run here. On the plus side, only three had followed him. He looked at them with a grin on his face as he heard their ultimatum. He held his arms out at his side, palms open, and walked backwards a short distance.

"Oh you pitiable fools, do you truly believe you can trap me in my own abode? A Necromancer is never without allies! Éirigh cinn marbh!"

At Quint's command, a ghostly whisper filled the air and transluscent wraiths rose from the ground, standing in unison between him and his aggressor's. The wraiths hissed and murmured as they raised half-real weapons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Il'Tara will cast Burning Hands on the group that pursued her, catching as many as possible in the effect (assuming they're close enough) before backing away as far as she can, putting creatures between her and the group if possible.

Burning Hands Damage - (5D4)[14]
    DC 11 Reflex save for half damage

Quint will back away 30 ft. from the group before casting Minor Image to make 8 Wraiths appear to emerge from the floor between him and his pursuers. The Wraiths will not do anything more than raise their weapons at this point. If any magic is cast at them, he will make the targetted "Wraith" react by staggering backwards and raising it's arms slightly to fend off the magic. He will not make them react to weapons.

DC 17 Will save to disbelieve the Wraiths if they are interacted with.

Show

17. - Top - End - #557

Harkon and the soldier at his side both raise their arms in front of their faces as the wave of fire washes over them, both taking 7 damage apiece.. Miss DeMarco seems entirely unaffected, as though the searing fire were naught but a gentle breeze.

Posca, evidently the Dwarven cleric, moves out into the hallway behind the Inquisitor, brandishing his holy symbol. Curiously, it is not the sunburst of Mitra, but rather an odd runic device you think you've occasionally seen on Dwarven shop signs. It appears that the Inquisitor has called up some support from outside the church for this one. Still, unusual god or not, the Dwarf's magic is clearly still potent, as a searing wave of positive energy washes out from him in a large sphere.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling positive energy, deals 18 damage to all undead within a 30ft radius emission. I made all the saves etc myself... and unfortunately, a lot of the undead are less sturdy in death than they were in life, since they lose their constitution score and the racial hit dice change to d8s.
    Hydra - Reduced to 8/30 HP.
    Tatzlywyrms - Both reduced to 3/22
    Skeletal Moon Dogs - One reduced to 30/58 hit points, one down to 39/58
    And interestingly, since the burst is 30ft in all directions, it actually hits Ezra and two of his wraith spawn who were approaching from below.
    Ezra - Reduced to 47/58 hit points
    Spawn 1 - Reduced to 38/47 hit points
    Spawn 2 - Reduced to 29/47 hit points.

The blast wave of holy energy lashes at the gathered undead, damaging them significantly. The Tatzlywyrms and the Hydra in particular look very heavily damaged.

"Tomas! Take the others through the southern door and flank them!" Harkon calls back into the War Room. There's an answering shout of acknowledgement... and then a series of surprised curses as the would-be-flankers run straight into Moon and the other Nightmares trying to come the other way. The sounds of a vicious fight rapidly start as the attackers and the fiendish steeds tear into each-other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For my own records -
    Nightmare 1 28/51 hit points remaining.

Kin, Victor and Reyna may now take their turns. One again, you have 24 hours or so. That said, I'll rule that you're all aware that something nasty is occurring upstairs, and thus can make your own decisions on how to act. Remember that Artephius is with Victor.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2012-11-29 at 03:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558

SwashbucklerGuy

In the workshop

Victor's head suddenly shoots up from the game of chess, a look of alarm on his face.

"What's wrong?" Reyna asks, concerned.

"I'm... not sure, but something is definitely happening. Something magical, and violent. We... we should go." He stands up slowly and checks his guns, making sure both are loaded. He then casts Mage Armor and False Life on himself. Reyna stands up and buckles her sword belt with professional efficiency.

Then Victor goes to Artephius, touches him and says, "Now, my friend, let's see what you can really do. Let's move!" The golem lurches to life flash a flash of diodes, and whirring gears and heads through the door.

Victor, Reyna and Artephius start moving through the Horn, not sure where the trouble is but looking for signs, whether magical, or environmental. The golem is at the front, with Reyna a step ahead of Victor. They are NOT running, but rather moving briskly but deliberately and cautiously. While moving he casts Shield on each of them in turn using his wand.

Spoiler
    Show
    False Life HP(1d10+6)[7]
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-11-29 at 03:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559

SwashbucklerGuy

Updated Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    BAB +4
    HP 49 (w/ False Life)
    AC 22 (w/ Mage Armor & Shield)
    Touch 14
    Flat-Footed 18
    Initiative +5
    Fort +7
    Ref +9
    Will +8

Attacks
    Arcane Pistol+1 1d20+8 1d8+1 x4 (misfire 1)
    Mwk Arcane Musket 1d20+8 1d12+0 x4 (misfire 1-3)
    Scimitar +4 1d6 18-20/x2

Memorized Spells
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level
    Mage Armor (cast)
    Grease
    Burning Hands (gun)
    Shocking Grasp
    Ray of Enfeeblement (gun)

2nd Level
    False Life (cast)
    Glitterdust
    Scorching Ray (gun) x2

3rd Level
    Lightning Bolt
    Fly
    Haste

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the magical energies clash in the upper reaches of the Horn, Kin leaps up from his studies in shock, the force tipping his chair backwards. With a moment's thought he casts a spell, enveloping himself in a bubble of energy just as Hexor appears. "Hexor!" Kin listens to Hexor's message before replying with haste; "Yes, we need to go - now!" He reaches out to Hexor with one hand, while with some concentration a ball of fire begins forming in the other.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just getting this up before the deadline expires. I'll work out memorized spells etc in a moment, but for now I'm casting Mage armor on myself and then preparing an entangling frostball in the other.
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

Ilvaria curses viciously as the Inquisitor and his followers flicker into existence in the middle of the war room. "Mira, we're moving. Now! Seal the Sanctum behind us."

"Yes Mistress."

The two women move quickly, heading out of the Sanctum. Ilvaria surrounds herself in a haze of protective force as she moves, Mira raising a barrier of shimmering moonlight across the entrance to the Sanctum.

The two move quickly, but carefully, down the stairs, listening carefully for any sounds that might indicate foes moving up the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilvaria casts Mage Armour on herself and Shield of Faith on herself and Mira during movement down the stairs. Mira raises a Moonlight Bridge across the entrance of the Sanctum, that for all intents and purposes acts as a Wall of Force. I am operating under the assumption that one may dismiss magical effects of this nature freely. If not, the Bridge will be raised later - and likely only as a last resort.

Mira is in the lead, and has cast Sanctuary on herself. Both are moving quietly and listening for any possible threats.

Ilvaria
    Stealth: (1d20+2)[8]
    Perception (1d20+6)[8]

Mira
    Stealth: (1d20)[6]
    Perception (1d20+8)[11]
    Show

<struck dumb>

22. - Top - End - #562

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Mira and Ilvaria are moving at speed but not running, if you use this turn's move as well, you end up in the landing area on the third floor, where Hexor usually stands guard. This is mostly for convenience sake you'll see why momentarily.

The soldiers curse as the illusionary wraiths rise up out of the floor between them and Quint. The cleric with them holds up his holy symbol, and another wave of positive energy envelops the area - but while the phantom undead are made to recoil slightly, they aren't destroyed, and the attackers seem taken in.

"Inquisitor! Wraiths to our rear - we're being surrounded!"

Spoiler
    Show
    The channeling from the cleric, however, does hit the other two incoming wraith spawn, not that they know that.
    Spawn 3 - 29/47
    Spawn 4 - 38/47

"Then we have but one choice! Soldiers, with me, we need to mount a break through! Miss DeMarco, clear us a path! For the glory of Mitra - Charge!" Harkon bellows orders, his raiding party reforming around him with well-drilled precision. The trio of attackers that were harassing Quint break off, falling back to rejoin their commander. Brother Vyte, human cleric, takes up the rearguard, joining the Dwarven cleric Posca to form a holy bulwark against what they believe is a serious undead force coming from the Fane of Vetra-Kali.

Treya DeMarco, the woman in red silk, makes a complicated gesture and flings a small glowing pearl down the corridor towards the actual undead. An instant later, it explodes into a howling firestorm, blasting apart the skeletal hydra and both reanimated Tatzlywyrms and heavily damaging the Moon Dogs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Treya, who as you can probably guess is a sorceress, is throwing a Fireball into the skeletons. The damage obliterates the damaged Hydra and Tatzlywyrms outright.
    Moon Dog 1 - now on 19/58 HP
    Moon Dog 2 - now on 23/58 HP.
    Il'Tara, Buddy and Van are all caught in the blast, though only one of those was deliberately targeted. They need to make reflex saves against a DC of 19, or they take 24 points of damage. It is fire damage for the purposes of any resistance, and Evasion will naturally save Il'Tara entirely.

Not complete, splitting up into multiple posts to help my organisation.

23. - Top - End - #563

As the fires of the explosion fade, Inquisitor Harkon and the three soldiers charge through the embers, the glowing energy of holy blessings curled around their weapons as they make the charge. One reanimated moon dog evades the blows entirely, twisting with sinuous grace half-remembered from its old life. The other is brutally smashed into several distinct shards by halberd blades.

Vancouver, despite the burns from the magical barrage, finds herself almost directly next to the Inquisitor as he struggles to slay the reanimated celestial. Her invisibility holds, for the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Harkon and one soldier botched their attacks completely, thus missing the Moon Dog. The other two soldiers, however, completed their charge and destroyed the second Moon Dog.

Ilvaria and Mira exit the staircase, reaching the first level as, with a crack, Hexor reappears. He nods to the two women in a surprisingly reserved fashion, even as he puts down his passengers - Kin, Kydrak and Caldrel.

"Only one more group of you to get, I think." he comments, evidently preparing to teleport again.

Meanwhile, via the somewhat strained telepathic conference that Buddy is maintaining, you see the flickering green forms of Ezra and his wraith-spawn rising up into the War Room. The undead have formed an improvised wall of ghostly bodies, cutting off the attacking warband from their access to the teleportation circle. Ezra in particular appears rather furious at the intrusion.

It is now the turn of Quint, Kydrak, Hal and their cohorts. Remember reflex saves where appropriate for the cohorts. The enemy are either spread out along that corridor, or else fighting their way through the Nightmares in the Lightning-scarred room.

Your turns begin... Now.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint grinned as he saw his illusory Wraiths doing their job. He gave chase, the "Wraiths" flying before him, as the three would be hero's fled. After moving a short distance he flung an arm out at the retreating group and shouted "Stailc leictreacha!"

His words were accompanied by a clap of thunder and a blinding flash as lightning leaped from his outstretched hand.

Il'Tara felt the sheer heat of the flames engulf her, completely overwhelming all other sensations. This time there could be no control, the fire was spreading unchecked throughout her body. The very air she breathed scorched her lungs. In her last few moments she recalled that presumptuous Halfling telling her that she'd learn to fear the fire. Instead she simply felt rage. Rage at everything around her, the foolish plot to return a daemon, the Inquisitor and his lackeys but most of all at the blasted Sylph for not letting her walk away. Her rage fed the flames, causing them to burn with an increased intensity and speeding her death. The Ifrit's smouldering corpse dropped to the ground, burned significantly more than the fireball should have achieved on its own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint is ceasing to focus on the illusory Wraiths, they will persist for another 5 rounds before fading. The "Wraiths" will follow the three Mitrans at a slow pace, acting as though the attempt at destroying them through channeling has slowed them. Meanwhile, Quint will also move 30 ft. towards the retreating group and cast a Lightning Bolt at the Cleric (and anyone else he can catch in it).

Lightning Bolt Damage (DC 18 Reflex for 1/2 damage) - (7D6)[27]

Il'Tara's Reflex Save - (1D20+9)[12]

Whelp, Il'Tara's dead

Attack Roll with Rapier (Including flank, -2 if no flank) - (1D20+11)[31]
    Damage Roll (Including Searing Weapons) - (1D6+3)[4]
    Sneak Damage (ignore if inappropriate) - (3D6)[11]
    Crit. Confirm (Again, -2 if no flank) - (1D20+11)[21]
    Crit. Bonus Damage - (1D6+3)[8]
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-11-29 at 06:33 PM.

Show

25. - Top - End - #565

Two of the soldiers and Brother Vyte the cleric all cry out in pain as the lightning slashes through them, each taking 27 damage. They remain standing, but the magical blast was clearly very painful and near-crippling for them.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kin spots the Inquisitor immediately, ignoring Hexor's comment for the moment. "Inquisitor Harkon, I hope my allies have been gracious hosts. Please allow me to share my own, personal welcome."

He bows curtly, and as he rises a storm of frost, ice and mist blasts from a steel rod previously held behind his back and now pointing steadily in the direction of the armored man, the energies arcing towards the armored man and his cronies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Toss my frostball in the general direction of Harkon, hoping to avoid hitting any allies although Hal and Van are invisible... I guess it's up to whether Buddy can warn me in time. If he does, I'll sling it at the largest group of other enemies that I can hit relatively safely.

So, I hit whatever with a Rime Frost Admixtured Empowered Fireball:
    Damage-wise; (15d6+22)[78], with a DC 19 reflex save to halve the damage.

Sorry if this hits you, Hal, but it was the first thing I thought of doing and I realised once I realised it would hit you that it was unlikely that I would know you were there in any case so I'd be metagaming if I didn't... you know. Good luck!
    Christmas is a busy time for everyone; expect heavily reduced posting until a few days after the new year with my apologies.

Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kin Lescelyn, Evil Human Evoker and Fireball Enthusiast.
    Why did the duck with the tin lip? Because the higher they fly, the fewer!

27. - Top - End - #567

As the magical barrage builds, time almost seems to slow down. You see Harkon's mouth twisting into a virulent curse. You see Il'Tara's burned corpse on the ground, and the scattered remains of the skeletons. You see the two Hellhounds suspended in midair as they leap for the attackers (GM note - no I totally did not forget about them until now...). And perhaps most of all, for the briefest of instants, you see the invisibility spell fade as Vancouver and Buddy become visible. Right in the firing line.

Then, the spell detonates in a roaring vortex of elemental force.

At the last instant, one of the Mitran soldiers, fanatical to the last, throws himself in the way of the explosion. The raw force of the blast scatters him into multiple pieces, entirely unrecognizable as a human being. His two comrades, and the Inquisitor himself, are still thrown bodily through the air, rebounding off the stone walls to lie in broken heaps.

The same, unfortunately, happens to Vancouver. Before Hal's horrified eyes, the surging force of the spell quite literally tears her limb from limb. Likewise, Buddy is almost completely unmade by the sheer force, shattered entirely into pieces, as are the two Hell Hounds.

"Inquisitor Harkon!" You hear the cleric call, panic in his voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    So yeah. That... was not survivable for either Van or Buddy. Especially since they also failed their saves against the previous Fireball. They're most emphatically dead.

Likewise, that spell killed the hell hounds, the reanimated moon dog, and knocked all the enemies well into negative hit points. Whether Kin eventually judges the cost worth it... well. We'll see.

28. - Top - End - #568

While Hexor is teleporting the others, Kydrak casts Mage Armour and Bull's Strength on Caldrel, preparing for the worst. As they reapear Kydrak casts Haste as Caldrel charges out at the Cleric, travelling at inhuman speed. He slices him through twice and you can barely see that sword due to the sheer speed it's at.

Spoiler
    Show
    So two attacks on the dwarven cleric. (1d20+13)[26] (1d8+8)[16]
    (1d20+13)[14] (1d8+8)[13]

Spoiler
    Show
    Kydrak's spell list:
    1st: Mage Armour x2
    Summon Monster I
    Enlarge Person
    Expeditious Retreat
    Sleep
    +Magic Weapon

2nd:
    Bull's Strength
    Fire Breath
    Bear's Endurance
    Summon Monster II
    +Bull's Strength

3rd:
    Haste
    Fly
    Slow
    +Fireball

4th:
    Elemental Body I
    Beast Shape II
    +Extended Haste

29. - Top - End - #569

(As noted, Hal spends his turn possibly going into emotional breakdown)

"Curse it all." The dwarf says in his deep voice as the enchanted blade slices into his shoulder. Still, he holds his symbol ready, a wave of positive energy washing out and over the area even as he takes a 5ft step away from Caldrel. This one is not keyed towards the destruction of the undead, however, and before your eyes the Inquisitor and the other two soldiers stir and sit up again. Bloody and battered, but evidently not quite dead just yet.

"Accursed warlock..." Harkon growls, clutching at the vicious energy burns running down his torso. He looks around, taking in the situation in a couple of instants. "Damn it all. Fall back. Regroup at base."

In response, a skinny looking human steps out of the War Room and into the corridor, wielding a finely made short sword, accompanied by a Half-Orc brandishing a serrated dagger. Taking advantage of their targets momentary distraction, they step up to either side of Caldrel and stab him without the slightest hint of mercy or hesitation. The human inflicts 18 points of damage, and then the half Orc slides the dagger in between an exposed pair of armour plates and deals an additional 31 points of damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You think you hear them mutter 'sneak attack, bitch'

You can hear sounds of fighting from within the War Room itself now, as the Ifrit with the falchion turns away from fighting the Nightmare and engages Ezra and his wraiths, despite the obvious disadvantage. Still, the magic enchantment on his weapon evidently allows him to do some damage, as you hear Ezra cry out in otherworldly pain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ezra: 21/56 HP.

It is now Victor, Reyna, Ilvaria and Mira's turn, though the former two are unable to do a vast amount here.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

"If you would be so kind, my dear?" Ilvaria murmurs calmly, before raising her voice to call to the skeletons on the balcony. "Archers, targets indoors, focus fire on the lady in red!"

"Of course."

The two move apart, spreading themselves out so that they do no present a clumped target. Mira gestures lazily at the Inquisitor and his soldiers, a haze of shifting rainbow lights flickering into being around them.

And Ilvaria focuses her attentions on the woman in red silk, a wave of supernatural silence washing out around the caster. "Silence, lost sister."

Spoiler
    Show
    The two move apart, maintaining their distance from the combatants and each other so that something like a fireball would not be able to hit both of them at once.

Mira is casting Hypnotic Pattern over Harkon and his surrounding men. For the purposes of this spell, their HD are at a -5 penalty. DC 18 will to resist fascination.

HD fascinated: (2d4+5)[12]

Ilvaria casts Silence over the Sorcerer (catching anyone else within 20' of her in its effect. If she can, she aims to try and catch the Teleportation Circle in the effect as well.

Also getting the archers to target the Sorc if I can. I want that spellcaster down.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-11-30 at 08:45 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>