New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

The undead archers turn and begin pelting missiles down the hallway, inflicting 10 points of damage on the sorceress. Her cry of pain is swallowed by the magical silence.

Mira's flickering display of vibrant colours seems to entrance one of the soldiers, but the other one - and Inquisitor Harkon himself - both display the strong wills for which such fanatics are renowned.

The sorceress, for her part, clearly recognizes the spell being used. She turns and hurries backwards, clearing the zone of influence and raising one hand, fires already flickering into life.

"Not today, shadowed one." she says in a husky, accented voice. A searing ray of elemental fire lances out from her outstretched hand... into Caldrel's exposed head. The damage is very nearly point blank range, and with the effect of a further 18 points of damage, the Half-Elf's skull explodes in a gory mess. His armour clatters loudly as he hits the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Man, I am just killing cohorts all over the place today...

Brother Vyte merely concentrates on unleashing more healing energy, restoring a further 16 points to his allies health. The fighting between the Ifrit and the wraiths in the War Room continues to rage.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2012-12-01 at 05:30 AM.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hearing Harkon call out a challenge, Hal's gaze snaps to him. Focussing on Harkon, he sees the undead get engulfed in fire. The scream of pain that erupts over the telepathic relay freezes him in panic. His darting eyes fix on Van's body as she drops to the ground, her armour blackened and hair scorched.

His vision narrows as the magic coalescing in his fingers dissipates. An image of a young Van, playing tag with Tori and Monty by the lakeside. Somehow amidst the chaos he notices a tiny bead of energy fly into the hall. A memory of Van smiling from ear to ear after animating her first corpse, the body of their old school teacher lurching clumsily behind her. Hal doesn't have time to panic before the explosion engulfs the chamber. A memory of Van's promise. You won't. Van's body disappears in the flame.

Gone. Just like everyone else. They were all gone.

Hal let's go. It barely registers that his body is darting into the hall with arms outstretched. The hail of arrows flies overhead as he cradles the broken body of his familiar. His empty eyes stare down at his fallen companion, his friend.

3. - Top - End - #573

Harkon and his soldier move in towards Mira and Ilvaria, before being suddenly cut off by the silvery bridge of light that forms in the air. Harkon strikes it once in futile rage, before turning and moving at speed back up the corridor, stepping through into the War Room again.

"Out of my way, vile undead." You hear him curse, and the level is filled with the sound of Ezra's shrieks as the blinding sunlight of Mitra scours his ethereal form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Searing light, and wraiths are undead with a sunlight vulnerability.

The soldier that was with him hauls his enthralled companion upright, yelling something in his ear, and they do their best to hurry away, back towards the War Room. They don't quite make it this round, though.

It is now Quint, Hal and Kydrak. That said, there is now an effective wall of force blocking the latter two from engaging anyone. Quint can still act freely, though, and is for now still warded by his phantom wraiths.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

4. - Top - End - #574

"Dammit!" Kydrak curses as Caldrel's head blows up. "The lying b***d. No brother of Kydrak's dies so easily." Kydrak then casts slow on Harkon, stopping him from being able to catch Quint.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint's grin broadens as he watches the Inquisitor back away, pulling his followers with him. Victory was within their grasp! Before he launches his next spell, he chances a quick glance to check how the fight was going for everyone else. His grin fell rapidly as he saw how many of their own had fallen. When his eyes fell on Il'Tara's charred remains, his blood ran cold.

"Uimh..."

He turned his attention back to the Inquisitor and his retinue, following them back into the war room, the "Wraiths" acting as his vanguard. Small gusts of air tugged at his clothing as he walked purposefully forward, his gaze fixated on Harkon.

"Beidh tú ag íoc."

He raised a hand, sparks already dancing around his finger tips.

"Stailc leictreacha"

At his words, the sparks sprang forth in unison, arcing towards the Inquisitor. They were accompanied by a blinding flash and the boom of thunder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Both Quint and the "Wraiths" are following Harkon and co. towards the war room (working on the assumption that Quint is behind them). The "Wraiths" will continue to move ahead of Quint. Meanwhile, Quint himself will be casting Lightning Bolt at Harkon, catching anyone else who may be in that line. Again, DC 18 Reflex save for half damage.

Lightning Bolt Damage - (7D6)[22]

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

6. - Top - End - #576

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, technically aware that Hal still has a turn to go, but even assuming that he manages to snap out of his BSOD there's still a wall of force between him and the enemy. So, moving forwards.

Harkon cries out and staggers under the impact, falling to one knee. Beyond him, Quint can see the rapidly-dissipating form of Ezra Thrice-Damned, the dread wraith having been utterly torn apart by Harkon's divine magic.

"Get the bastard, damn you." Harkon hisses, evidently barely able to move.

Posca blasts a wave of divine energy through the area, scouring the remaining wraiths that are presently attempting to swarm the Falchion-wielding Ifrit.

Spoiler
    Show

Spawn 1 - 27/47 HP
    Spawn 2 - 25/47
    Spawn 3 - 19/47
    Spawn 4 - 19/47

The dwarf squints at the 'wraiths' surrounding Quint. "Now why are you not... They're illusions!"

You're not entirely sure if the half-Orc believes him, but regardless, he seems to comprehend that whatever the case may be, they are most certainly between him and the path of his retreat. Gritting his teeth, he rushes through the ethereal shapes blocking him, letting out a bark of laughter as they fail to affect him. Then, with what seems to be almost sadistic joy, he slams his dagger into Quint's back, dealing 29 points of damage.

In the War Room, the Ifrit spins his enchanted weapon around and utterly annihilates one of the remaining Wraith-spawn. The others, bereft of their sire's guiding intelligence and facing a disturbing number of divine casters, break and flee with unearthly howls, fading away into the surrounding stonework as the Ifrit slashes futilely at them.

"Time to be getting out of here, I think. Tomas, lad, grab the boss." Posca continues, stepping past the Half-Orc and Quint as the human rogue follows in his footsteps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Technically Quint can make an attack of opportunity here - they're willingly tanking whatever they think he can do to them in order to escape.

The two of them seize Harkon by the shoulders and drag him forwards, leaving a trail of blood on the stone floor. "Vah." Posca says curtly, and in a flash of light, the three of them vanish.

It is now the turn of Victor and Kin. Then it is Ilvaria and Mira. This is important, as the wall of force may only be dispelled after the first two have taken their actions. Go.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Quints gasped in pain as the dagger slammed into him, reflexively his body shifted to become vaporous, allowing the dagger to pass through him without causing further harm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quint is casting windy escape to gain DR 10/Magic

Show

8. - Top - End - #578

For the first time, Quint's intended trick does not preserve him - the cruel dagger seems to bite through his ethereal flesh just as easily as meat and bone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or in other words, the dagger is a magic weapon. The DR 10/Magic is therefore bypassed entirely.

9. - Top - End - #579

MindFlayer

Hal looks up from the body of his familiar. Van, would she be... then looks back as the tiny daemon stirs in his arms. The frostbitten wounds were closing, Buddy was still alive.

Heedless of the curses and spells being hurled back and forth, he stumbles towards the stables, clutching the tiny body of his familiar in his arms.

10. - Top - End - #580

SwashbucklerGuy

In the throne room.

Victor, stepped around the corner, leading with his gun, ready to blast any intruders with a bolt of lightning, Reyna and the golem quickly moving in around him. Seeing that the coast was clear, they quickly move to the throne and teleport to the next level.

"Are you sure that's where it is?" she asked.

"Certain," he replied. "The air is buzzing with the clash of magical forces. I only hope we're in time. We've come to far to be stopped now. Let's go!"
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-12-01 at 07:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581

Spoiler
    Show
    As is my previously stated habit, 24 hours or more have passed, and therefore the turn is forfeited. Except for Victor and Reyna - Razorstorm, please clarify which floor you're heading to, the second or third.

"Leave him, Taskar. We need to regroup." Treya DeMarco says as she strides back into the War Room, red silk clothes streaming gently in the air behind her.One elegant hand makes a gesture in Quint's direction, and a brutal barrage of tiny burning meteorites slam into the illusionist, inflicting nine points of damage and knocking him to the floor.

Looking rather disappointed, the Half-Orc leaves the bleeding body alone and follows the sorceress, along with Brother Vyte and the two Soldiers. They join the Ifrit next to the teleportation circle, and even as you bring down the barrier and hurry to engage, the sorceress speaks a word and they are gone.

Dropping out of combat, see the OoC thread.

12. - Top - End - #582

SwashbucklerGuy

Before they leave...

Victor and his team appear in a flash. He shakes his head to clear his vision, and sees the intruders about to leave. He quickly takes aim and fires a shot as Reyna and the golem charge forward.

Reyna's curved blade whistled through empty air where the robed woman was standing moments before.

Victor quickly reloads and moves into the main room, surveying the damage and the bodies, relieved to see none of the primary Knot members among the dead. Seeing Quint unconscious he quickly kneels down, pulling out his potion and pouring down the comatose illusionists throat. "Not today, friend. Asmodeus still has work for you to do."

Spoiler
    Show
    Potion (2d8+3)[16]

13. - Top - End - #583

Hexor crouches in the hallway, looking vaguely like a hunched bear as he prods at the blasted remains of the Mitran soldier who died in Kin's spell.

"Well. That was somewhat unfortunate." the daemon comments at last. "The Holy Man will be back soon. What do you want to do? The frog-men might serve as a decent buffer, slow them down until you can get your spells ready. Of course, they probably won't want to throw themselves into the crossfire."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint sits up slowly, wincing in pain as he did so. He found himself replaying the last few moments before he was taken out.

"Il'Tara, raibh sí slán?" He asked urgently, "Cá bhfuil sí?"

He looked earnestly from face to face, taking a few moments to realise they hadn't understood him.

Putting a hand to his forehead out of irritation, he continued "Where is Il'tara, did you manage to save her?"

Show

15. - Top - End - #585

"Il'Tara?" Hexor repeats, his rough voice distorting the name in an unusual fashion. "Nope, she's dead. So's the Halfling woman... Vancouver, and his majesty's mongrel brother. "

The daemons scratches at an odd bit of fur in a contemplative fashion. "Oh, and we're pretty sure the Thrice-Damned is gone as well. Divine spells."

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint thumped the wall next to him, "Mallachtaí!"

He returned to the room, confirming for himself that the Ifrit was well and truly dead.

Uimh... Uimh, ní mór go mbeadh ar bhealach éigin...

A memory stirred, he turned to Ilvaria, "You, oíche rugadh, you came back to life, in the woods. Can you bring her back?"

Show

17. - Top - End - #587

The atmosphere inside the temple has never been exceptionally well illuminated, but for a moment, it grows somehow... darker. The thick, coppery stench of blood fills the air, magnified above all the other left-over sensations from the battle. There is a very distant sound of voices, muttering words in an uncounted number of tongues.

Hexor in particular looks suddenly unnerved, casting his great shaggy head about from side to side, but for most of the party, nothing else occurs.

Halifax:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In his despair, it takes Hal a moment to realise that the faint voice whispering in his ear is not, in fact, his own imagination.
    "She trusted you, you know. The Inquisitor did such things to her, the last time they crossed paths, that her fragile mind simply broke under the strain. You were the one thing that she could hold onto, the one constant truth that would never betray her, even when all the world seemed nothing but pain. And you failed her again, allowed that man to get the better of you once more."

"Her story does not have to end this way, Halifax Eater. She can be restored to you, returned to full health and vitality. There is a price, of course, but it is an easy one to pay. All we ask is that you cast aside the weakness that failed you, and make sure to bleed Matthias Harkon on the altar. Would you do that much for her, Halifax?"

Quint:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It is always a shame, to see such a passionate individual cut down in their prime." A voice whispers in the illusionist's ear. It is speaking Auran, but there is a distinct accent to it. "The dark elf cannot help you, Wizard - the secret to her return was carried in her blood, and it will not function for another. She cannot help you... but I can. I can restore your precious companion to life and health, and all I ask is that you stay true to your allegiances. Tell me, are you willing to pay such a minor cost?"

18. - Top - End - #588

MindFlayer

Not dead.

Buddy's wounds closed as the daemon's extraplanar healing kicked in. Hal absentmindedly pats his nightmare's flank once as he stumbles back across the hall. Staggering back towards his room he becomes aware of tears on his cheeks. Buddy, Van; what had he done...

In his despair, it takes Hal a moment to realise that the faint voice whispering in his ear is not, in fact, his own imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "She trusted you, you know. The Inquisitor did such things to her, the last time they crossed paths, that her fragile mind simply broke under the strain. You were the one thing that she could hold onto, the one constant truth that would never betray her, even when all the world seemed nothing but pain. And you failed her again, allowed that man to get the better of you once more."

"Her story does not have to end this way, Halifax Eater. She can be restored to you, returned to full health and vitality. There is a price, of course, but it is an easy one to pay. All we ask is that you cast aside the weakness that failed you, and make sure to bleed Matthias Harkon on the altar. Would you do that much for her, Halifax?"

Coming to an abrupt halt, Hal takes several large breaths. His eyes stay cast down at Buddy's unconscious body, but his soft voice can be heard "She is gone. All of them are gone. Don't have a way to... Who are you?"

Hal's voice, soft and steady, trembles as rage begins to swirl into the maelstrom of emotions clouding his mind. Waves of anger at this new tormentor in the storm of despair and regret. "Who are you and what are your terms?"

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint stood completely still, apparently listening to something or someone. Abruptly, he began to speak.

"Conas is féidir leat sin a dhéanamh? Ba mhaith leat mise agat fanacht ach fíor do mo dílseachtaí?"

For those that understand Auran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "How can you do that? You would have me merely remain true to my loyalties?

Show

20. - Top - End - #590

The patch of seemingly empty air over the entrance to the third level shimmers and fades away, revealing a slender humanoid figure standing there. He is an outsider, that much is clear from the dark red skin and the pair of small horns that jut from his brow, but unlike most you have encountered, this one seems willing to adopt certain mortal mannerisms. He is dressed, for one thing, in an impeccably tailored suit of dark cotton, and when he bows, it is with formal courtly grace.

"I am Dessister, of the Phistophilus, oh great and wicked ones." he says smoothly in the common tongue, so that all might understand him.

"A contract devil." Hexor snarls, advancing on the newcomer with brandished claws. "This is not your place, servant of the pit. Leave."

"Ah, but that is where you are wrong, daemon. The Sons of the Pale Horseman had very clear rules of succession built into their upper structure. With Ezra Thrice-Damned, last High Priest of their order, so destroyed, metaphysical ownership of the Horn falls to the next strongest... in this case, the Nessian Knot." the Devil explains, a sort of wry amusement in his yellow eyes. "It is therefore not for you to decide whether I am welcome here or not. So be a good guard dog, and stand down."

Hexor growls angrily, but incredibly does not attack, and Dessiter turns his attention back to the party. "You do great work here, honored ones, and the Tyrant Above All Others is always pleased to offer assistance to those whose work advance his designs. It is well within his power to restore for you your fallen companions, and to render further assistance as needed in later days. His terms are quite simple..."

The devil waves one hand, and two pieces of high-quality parchment materialise out of the air in front of Quint and Hal. The writing on each of them is precise and beautiful, and lays out it's terms in a very precise manner.

Hal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The contract offers a complete restoration of Vancouver to life and health, effective immediately. For her, this is free, with no additional terms attached - she is purely a beneficiary.
    For Hal, the cost is somewhat more significant. He must forswear all allegiance to the Lords of Abaddon, now and forever more. And when Matthias Harkon is slain, Hal is obliged to offer a prayer to The Lord of the Nine Hells, great Asmodeus, which will make his new allegiance irrevocable.

Quint:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The contract offer the complete and total return of Il'Tara to full physical and mental health, effective immediately. In return, He'll wishes to invoke something of a non-competition clause on your current project. Once Vetra-Kali has been summoned and the Tears of Achlys obtained, the final service extracted from the daemon prince must be that he immediately leave the material plane and never return.

Dessiter produces a pair of quills, and holds them out with a smile. "If you accept, merely sign thy true names on the parchment, and it shall be done. There is no compulsion, and should you decide not to take the offered terms, I shall depart at once."

21. - Top - End - #591

Kydrak stares at the devil and can hardly beleive that he is willing to bring back two non-worshippers but not a devout Asmodean. The devil htat appeared was obviously sent by the great and unholy Lord Asmodeous, Prince of Hell. Why was Caldrel not offered another chance. Both he and Caldrel had dedicated their lives to Asmodeous, yet two others who were not worshippers were given a second chance to prove to Asmodeous what he could do.

"First of all, devil, let me say what an honour it is to meet an infernal servant of the great Lord Asmodeous, Prince of Hell. But I ask you this: these people you are bringing back are not worshippers of your Lord. They may be helping with the cause, but they never sat in a temple praying to Asmodeous. Both I and my brother Caldrel did, yet you do not seem to care about us. I would do anything for Asmodeous if it pleases him as long as you bring back my brother. All though I know he was neither the most powerful, not the cleverest, he has spent his years killing in you master's name and worshipping in you master's temple."

22. - Top - End - #592

"Please, refer to me by name. Otherwise, I shall simply have to start referring to you as 'mortal', and that seems somewhat rude." Dessiter says with a smile.

"And have no fear, you and your brother have not been forgotten. He, at present, is receiving his reward for a life spent in the Dark Prince's service, much as you will, should you meet a similar fate. We had not imagined that you would seek to deny him such a thing." the devil spreads his hands in a gesture of honest acknowledgement. "But of course, if you would desire your brother's return, it is easily arranged. What might you offer in exchange for such a boon, for our Lord does not relinquish his faithful lightly."

23. - Top - End - #593

"My brother's work down here is not finished and I would not deny him from seeing the world bow to his feet as they will mine. I only have one family memeber and I would not see him dead to a force as weak as the inquisitor, he must earn his place in hell and I will help him earn it. I will offer everything he wishes for me to do. I would already do that for my master. I would kill anyone he wanted, I will set up a place of worship for Asmodeous in Talingarde but I would do that already. The only sacrifice I can make is to stop my needless violence towards the elven kin and put more effort into the help of this cause. Both me and Caldrel will never slay a being against Asmodeous's will and shall instead put out efforts towards doing what must be done: setting up traps, finding minions and other ways that could benefit our cause."

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically instead of spending the weeks elf hunting, I'll do more useful actions.

24. - Top - End - #594

Dessiter tuts in faint disappointment. "Though the forces of our Lord are naturally mighty beyond compare, it does not serve His cause for His champions to underestimate their foes." he looks pointedly around at the demolished undead and burned corpses that fill the corridor. "Mattias Harkon, for all his unfortunate dedication to the wrong deity, is not a weak man. If you will not accept that, then your blindness makes you weak, and the Lord of Nessus has no time for weakness."

"And you offer only the prospect of temporarily setting aside your own vendetta in order to actually focus on doing your job? Hardly a suitable price for reversing the course of life and death." the contract devil shakes his head.

25. - Top - End - #595

"OK, I have an alternate deal. There is a temple of Mitra in Farholde, in that temple is a relic that once belonged to a powerful devil. I will go into that temple and take back that relic in exchange for my brothers life."

26. - Top - End - #596

Dessiter smiles. "Done. You have precisely nine days." he says, as an elaborate contract springs into being next to him, marked with Kydrak's implicitly given signature.

On the floor, the shattered pieces of Caldrel's head pull themselves back together, and lines of burning hellfire flare into life along the shattered lines of injury, like a clay pot being fused back into wholeness. A moment later, and the anti-Paladin sits upright with a strangled cry.

"I should advise you not to delay in delivering your agreed payment. The consequences would be dire... for both of you." Dessiter notes, watching as the resurrected half-elf pulls himself to his feet. "Still, this should serve as ample demonstration that my master's offer is both serious and possible." he continues, looking towards Quint and Hal.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint fidgeted, desperately trying to identify any loopholes that might be used against him in the devil's bargain. It seemed far too good to be true, and in his considerable experience, such an appearance usually proved to be exactly that. He could not see any considerable flaw though, the action being demanded was one that he had already been considering taking anyway.

"Más rud é go léir go bhfuil gá a choinneáil ar an ceann a mbímid ag obair go saor in aisce as an eitleán ábhar, ansin Aontaím."

For those that understand Auran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If all that is required is to keep the one we work to free off of the material plane, then I agree."

Show

28. - Top - End - #598

MindFlayer

Hal doesn't bother to look at the devil before him. "I do not accept your offer, Dessiter of the Phistophilus."

Hal resumes walking to his chambers, not waiting for the devil's response.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give Dessiter a chance to finish his dealings, then post Buddy's revival and Hal's explanation of why he couldn't accept the terms.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-12-06 at 05:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #599

"Very well." Dessiter says calmly, magical runes blazing into life along Quint's contract even as Hal's turns to dust and vanishes before your eyes. On the floor, Il'Tara's burned and mangled flesh seems to ripple slightly as the effects of the damage reverse in sudden and complete fashion. Even as she coughs her way back into life, the contract devil makes an elaborate bow towards all of you.

"Gentlemen, ladies, a pleasure doing business with you. We'll meet again, assuming of course you prevail in your current task. If you see Tiadora, be sure to give her my regards."

With that, he vanishes in an explosion of brimstone and small whisps of Eldritch fire, leaving you all to contemplate the potential consequences of your deals.

30. - Top - End - #600

MindFlayer

In his room, Hal stands holding Buddy. His breath is ragged as he tries to let the frantic events of the last few minutes catch up with him.

Dialogue:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy Styx!

Hal, what happened? Harkon, then Van... Van!

"I let her go. I should never have brought her here. And the devil, he knew I let her die. He was waiting for this. He wanted to get to me."

Devil? Get it together mortal.

"Van died. Its my fault. The Asmodeans have a contract devil who offered to restore her. In exchange I would have to decry Apollyon and swear my soul to Hell. I couldn't and now she joins the Hunted."

Damn them. They let this happen, not you. A contract devil would know that if you betrayed Apollyon your days would be numbered. They want you dead. They're toying with you.

"I could have saved her, Buddy. The devil raised the half-elf and the ifrit, he would have raised her."

No. It would have killed you. Hexor and the Thrice-Damned would have killed you, I would have had to send your soul to the Plaguemere. Its not yet your time to make that journey, but it is Van's. She wasn't at home in this world; that's where she wants to be. She wont be one of the Hunted for long, she'll join our ranks soon. That's what she would have wanted, not for you to sacrifice everything we've worked for. Everything she worked for.

"The wraith is gone. Harkon escaped."

Damn that fool priest. You'll be a far better High Priest. We have to go after Harkon. For Van, for Tori.
    Last edited by Angstrom; 2012-12-06 at 07:38 PM.