New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

Victor sketches out the 2nd floor in his notebook, and compares it with the map from the 1st floor

"Gentlemen, I've a hunch that our way up to the third floor has something to do with this column here, but not from this level. I'm going back down below to investigate."

As he's heading back out he notices Kydrak examining the golem. "Beautiful, isn't it? We'll spend some time on him soon enough!"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Schtein sighs "Well that was an unpleasent bit of business, wasn't it? We should get this golem operational, it will likely be more sturdy than my minions and at the very least it can protect those who cannot protect themselves in certain situations... like this past one. I would hate to think what would have become of us without Reginald, Archibald and Juggs here alas, i suppose next time we should be better prepared. I say we work of the golem for now then retire below for the remainder of the evening, would that be acceptable to the rest of you?"
    Blarg...

3. - Top - End - #153

The golem looks quite badly damaged, but between your own knowledge and the few pieces of research left over in the laboratory, you think you can work out what it would need in order to be made operational again.

Firstly, it's crystal eyes have been shattered, rendering it blind. A Make Whole spell would likely suffice to correct that, as would commissioning a replacement lense to the exacting specifications required.

Secondly, it needs refueling. The golem is an Alchemical golem, deriving both it's power and it's primary offensive abilities from a volatile chemical reaction within its crystal and glass innards. The required reagents for this are
    - Ten doses of the Reagent of Fire, likely Alchemist's fire
    - Ten doses of the Reagent of Ice, likely Alchemist's ice.
    - Ten doses of a potent acid - the pool in the caves would suffice, if you could find a way to transport it to its destination.
    - Ten doses of the Reagent of Lightning. This one is tricky, but the blood of an Air elemental should do it. A storm elemental would be ideal, naturally.

Finally, the Golem needs a brain. This brain needs to come from a human, elf or half-elf - no other species will fit the delicate interfaces. The original owner of the brain must also not have been dead for more than twenty four hours before activation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now, where specifically was Victor intending to investigate?
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

4. - Top - End - #154

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    By comparing my maps of the second floor and the first floor, I should be able to recognize the hollow column down in the caves. That's what I want to investigate.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint critically examines his wand briefly, trying to get an idea of how much arcane power remained within it. Content that he hadn't expended too much of its strength, he pockets the wand again. He takes a moment to examine the room the Oozes had occupied, taking a mental note of the size of the breach.

Having satisfied his curiosity, he jogged back down the stairs after his fellow wizards. Along the journey, he takes time to scan the walls for any hidden passages with his magically enhanced vision. Hearing Schtein's plan, he commented "Not a bad idea, I can still sweep for any hidden passages we may have missed before we turn in for the night though." He glances at Kydrax and Victor, "I'd appreciate protection whilst I do so, last thing I want is to be jumped by something nasty without a way to fight back."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

6. - Top - End - #156

Working together, Quint and Victor easily locate the section of the caves that corresponds to the pillars overhead. It's one of the walls in the cavern with the mud pit, and with Quint's magically-enhanced vision, it's easy to locate the hidden button grafted onto the rockface.

A section of the rock slides open in complete silence, revealing a winding spiral staircase that ascends high into the mountain above. The entire length is illuminated with flickering green light from what you'd guess are Everburning torches.

Do you wish to climb the staircase, or would you prefer to wait for a time and perhaps prepare new spells?
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

7. - Top - End - #157

SwashbucklerGuy

"Well, that's clever. I'll bet that the masters using the upper areas didn't even want their subordinates knowing how to get to the upper level. I think it would be prudent to let us rest and renew our investigations tomorrow."

8. - Top - End - #158

Schtein nods "Very well, might I suggest we take the time to grab some of that acid to start the repairs? If any of you have any of the other ingredients that would be lovely, oh Kydrak by the way, I think we should let you deal with the brain since we could definitely use an elfs brain and your disdain for your heritage is rather well known. Now about that acid, does anyone have a few glass vials, Acid does not corrode glass unless that is if it Hydrofluoric acid but I think it will be fine."
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-08-30 at 04:33 PM.
    Blarg...

9. - Top - End - #159

Kydrak looks resentfully at Schtein.For the Ice and Fire, we should be able to acquire those through our newfound friend in Farholde. The Lightning should easy enough considering there's most likely a few lightning elementals in the top of this horn. As for the acid, like master Schtein said, a few vials from the pit below should suffice. I'm still fresh with spells so I'm prepared to go on, but if everyone else would wish to make rest, I could do with a small sleep, what with all this adventuring. Does anyone happen to have a spell of make whole that I could copy?

10. - Top - End - #160

Schtein laughs "If they had a scroll they would copy it themselves besides I doubt any of us would trust anyone here with each other's spellbooks and if they had the spell there is no reason for them to teach it to you since they could cast it themself. "
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #161

Spoiler
    Show
    Right, you've rested for the night, presumably within the Horn itself or the Boggard village. Zikomo has used his abilities to heal any hit point damage that you've taken, and I'll ask you to append your lists of newly prepared spells to your next IC posts.

The next day, refreshed and as prepared as it is possible to be, you return to the secret door and begin your ascent. The climb is arduous, up a winding staircase some two hundred foot high, but you persevere, and eventually emerge in a chamber at the very top.

Two guards evidently once stood watch here, clad in rune-inscribed suits of full plate and wielding great two-handed swords of black iron. Their bodies have been cast against the far wall, ruined by the strikes of some great weapon and left to rot over the following eighty years. Their makeshift tomb is certainly an impressive one, however, as the entire chamber is covered with grisly depictions of the nightmare realm of Abaddon. At the centre of the room is another spiral staircase, winding even further up into the Horn, presumably to the sanctum that you scryed at its very peak. A low half-wall blocks direct access to the base from this side.

However, the two humanoids with the swords were clearly not the only defenders of this waypoint. As the last member of the group emerges from the first stairwell, there is a faint popping sound, and suddenly there are two more figures in the room with you.

The creatures are immense things covered in shaggy black fur, like cave bears that have decided to stand on their hind legs. Curling horns jutt out from just above eyes that glitter with a malevolent sentience, and their limbs end in gleaming talons like those of predatory birds. Each of them wears a medallion around their necks, great slabs of dull metal inscribed with infernal runes that shine with a green flame.

"Welcome to the Horn of Abaddon, honored guests. I am called Hexor." says the first, in a low and rumbling voice that sounds surprisingly polite.

"And I am Vexor." completes the other. "We are terribly sorry, but unfortunately we have to disembowel you now.

That said, the two daemons (for they can surely be little else) begin to stalk towards you, their eyes gleaming with predatory intent and their wicked claws held ready to strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gentlemen, you have precisely one chance to say or possibly do something that might dissuade them. Otherwise, we go into initiative. Chose your words very carefully.

12. - Top - End - #162

Schtein coughs then proceeds to speak in Abyssal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Good day gentlemen, it truly is unfortunate that you feel the need to disembowel the people who came here to remove the seal placed upon this truly wondrous site of worship. My companions and I are tasked with bringing back the master of this temple and we will not be dissuaded, I do hope that you change your mind and aid us in this noble quest. If not we will simply have to deal with you and carry on and that would be a travisty sirs!"

diplomacy I guess.. unless you want to treat this as a threat for intimidate...
    (1d20)[15] if you count it as intimidate add 8 to the roll... too bad I can't use bluff with my spiffy +11

Spells!
    0- Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Prestidigitation
    1- Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Sickening, Mage Armor, Colour Spray, Silent Image, Protection from Good
    2- Defending Bone, False Life, Invisibility, Acid Arrow
    3-Haste, Fly, Ray of Exhaustion
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-08-31 at 08:14 AM.
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #163

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor waits to see how the demons respond to Schtein but he pulls back the hammer on his gun in a show of support, and he readies his wand of Shield.

Memorized Spells
    Victor casts Mage Armor and False Life before heading up the secret stairway
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level
    Mage Armor (Already cast)
    Ray of Sickening (gun) x2
    Grease

2nd Level
    Scorching Ray (gun)
    Cat's Grace
    False Life (Already cast)

Spoiler
    Show
    False life extra HP [roll0]

Updated Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

BAB +3
    HP 29+8=37
    AC 17
    Touch 13
    Flat-Footed 10
    Initiative +5
    Fort +4
    Ref +6
    Will +5
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-08-31 at 01:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164

SwashbucklerGuy

False Life HP (1d10+4)[8]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint was sitting crosslegged with his spellbook in front of him, calmly turning pages as he mentally prepared himself for the coming day. Generally he preffered to go through this step with an open sky above him, having a ceiling instead was grating to say the least. Once he'd finished his preperations he rose to his feet and stretched a little, the staircase had looked like it was going to be annoyingly long.

The appearance of the Daemons was a little unexpected, he hadn't thought that there were any of Asmodeus' allies left in the stronghold. Not only that, it would seem that these particular Daemons weren't interested in having their master freed. While Schtein spoke to them in their tongue, hopefully to tell them they were not enemies, Quint prepared himself for a fight.

He circled his arms around himself before bringing them to his chest, as he did so he incanted "Íomhá scáthán".

Several duplicate images of himself sprang into existence a short distance from him, each mirroring his every movement.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so, Quint is casting Mirror Image to create (1d4+1)[5] illusory duplicates of himself.

And I suppose you'll be wanting a spell list or something too?

Well, if you insist.

Level 0 - Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Ray of Frost, Read Magic

Level 1 - Burning Hands x2, Colour Spray x1, Windy Escape x2

Level 2 - Invisibility x1, Hypnotic Pattern x1, Mirror Image x1, Detect Thoughts x1

Level 3 - Lightning Bolt x2, Displacement x1

Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Kydrak steps forwards towards them and here's what Schtein says and carries on with his general gist.

Spoiler
    Show
    In abbysal "We are servants of the master of this temple and wish to free him so that we can bring back his plague and stop any Mitran worhsipping scum from sending him away again. If you would be willing to help us in freeing our master, then you would be welcome to join us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell list:
    1: Magic missile (2)
    Mage armor
    Magic Weapon
    Charm
    + Stone Fist

2: Create Pit
    Summon Monster
    Fire Breath
    + Bull's Strength

3: Fireball
    Fly
    + Beast Shape

17. - Top - End - #167

The daemons pause, and slowly lower their claws.

"You wish to return Vetra-Kali to this plane?" one rumbles slowly, glancing at its twin in consideration. Then they both smile, though it looks quite unnatural on their faces, and return their gazes to you.

"Then you are welcome here! For close to a century we have waited for those capable of such a thing to arrive." the other continues. "The foul magic of the sun god prevents us from entering the sanctum, and the terms of our binding keep us within the Horn, but we should be glad to assist you in whatever way we can."

That said, the two guardian daemons stand aside, clearing your way to the next staircase. They also look quite helpful and willing to answer questions... for giant bear-things, anyway.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Pleased with how the encounter with the Daemons turned out, Quint turns to his allies, his many duplicates turning with him. As he speaks to them, his voice echoes slightly as the copies speak ever so slightly out of step with him.

"I'm glad we could resolve this situation without injury, perhaps you should allow me to attempt the same with our voltaic friend through there. If I'm going to do this, I'll need to enter alone though. I'm afraid your presence in there would disrupt the delicate balance I am going to attempt to achieve."

He pauses a moment, a thought occuring to him, "If I could ask to borrow a few vials as well, I think I may be able to get that golem of yours one of its components."
    Last edited by Comissar; 2012-08-31 at 10:41 AM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #169

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Quint goes ahead and climbs the second staircase.

The second set of spiral stairs rise for another hundred foot or so straight up, until they come out at the Sanctum. It is exactly like you remember from the earlier scrying - the statue, the silver seal, the intricate engravings covering every section of the wall... and, of course, the storm elemental.

There is, as it turns out, only one of the things up here, but it is huge. A spontaneous, rolling stormcloud orbits around the unholy statue, absorbing the energy coming from the diabolic shrine and the holy artifact alike, small showers of static electricity raining down over the floor every few minutes. It looks down at you with eyes formed of ball lightning, and seems almost... curious.

The Landing below

The daemons watch as Quint ascends to the sanctum, then they turn their attention back to the rest of you.

"So... are you with the Knot of Thorns, like that last group?" one of them... Hexor, you think... asks, tilting it's head curiously.

20. - Top - End - #170

The Sanctum
    (posting on behalf of Commissar, who is running out of allocated time on his Internet)

Quint strode confidently into the temple sanctum, hands empty as a gesture of peace. Pausing to bow upon seeing the elemental before him, he said "Beannachtaí mo chara cumhachtacha. Mo compánach agus mé ag teacht chun faoiseamh duit de do dhualgas anseo. Is grúpa de Sylphs fhoghlaim, i measc a bhfuil mé ach foghlaimeoir, a bhí de chúram a bhaint de na taint na Asmodeus as an áit seo. Mo compánach ag ligean a scíth faoi láthair leibhéil cúpla thíos dúinn agus d'iarr go gcuireann mé an teachtaireacht seo a thabhairt duit.

Tá do gcrích do dhualgas a bhí den scoth, agus chun na ba mhaith linn moladh a thabhairt duit. Tá muid, áfach, in ann leanúint ar aghaidh do vigil i do ionad ach tú ar ais chuig an eitleán sa bhaile. Ní ba mhaith liom riamh a iarraidh ar tú a thréigean do chúram ar ndóigh, agus chun na críche sin tá mé a proposition.

Tá mé in ann réitigh a seal a ligeann ár n-úscraí an-a bheith nasctha. Chun é sin a dhéanamh, ní mór dúinn a mheascadh le méid beag de ár fola. Ón bpointe sin ar aghaidh, beidh mé in ann a ghlaonn tú le cosaint an áit seo ba chóir a bheith ag teastáil riamh ag an am céanna beidh tú a bheith saor filleadh abhaile agus leanúint ar aghaidh le do shaol.

Má ba chóir duit glacadh leis an togra seo, eiliminteach mór agus uasal, ba mhaith liom a iarraidh go mb'fhéidir go mbeadh mé sampla a thógáil de do chuid fola.
    "

For those that can speak Auran
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Greetings my powerful friend. My companions and I have come to relieve you of your duty here. We are a group of learned Sylphs, amongst whom I am but a learner, who have been tasked with removing the taint of Asmodeus from this place. My companions are currently resting a few levels below us and requested that I pass this message to you.

Your execution of your duty has been exemplary, and for that we wish to commend you. We are, however, capable of continuing your vigil in your stead whilst you return to the home plane. I would not dream of asking you to abandon your task of course, and to that end I have a proposition.

I am capable of casting a spell which allows our very essences to be linked. To do so, we must mix a small amount of our blood. From that point on, I will be able to call you to the defence of this place should it ever be needed whilst you will be free to return home and continue with your life.

If you should accept this proposal, great and noble elemental, I would request that I might take a sample of your blood.
    "

His message delivered, and with head still bowed, he slowly drew his knife and proferred it to the Elemental before him.

The Elemental's reply

"Duty? What duty?"

(Technically, you lot have no way of knowing about this, but I figured I'd post it up anyway because it's quite impressive)

21. - Top - End - #171

SwashbucklerGuy

Holstering his gun, Victor nods at the fiend, "We are indeed. What, praytell, became of them?"

22. - Top - End - #172

Schtein smiles, happy to see that he was successful in preventing the death of these fine creatures. It was refreshing to be in polite company "Indeed, we were sent out because they are assumed for dead. Though I must say that we are much more competant good sirs so unlike our predecessors we will accomplish our assigned task. Since you have been around as guardians for a while could you tell us any specifics on the wardings placed by the foolish follower of Mitra? Any useful information would allow us to get our work done quicker and thus allow this temple to get back to the way it once was. "
    Blarg...

23. - Top - End - #173

"Oh, they ran into the high priest, who was less than pleased at their intrusion. Except for the elf... he ran into us, and didn't think to let us know what he was doing here." Hexor says, before reaching up and picking something out from between his teeth with one razor-sharp claw.

"You may wish to speak with the priest yourself, actually. He's more likely to know about the sun-God's magic than us, and he'd be quite pleased to have the temple restored. He's around here somewhere if you'd like to go speak with him." Vexor finishes.

24. - Top - End - #174

SwashbucklerGuy

"High Priest?" Victor asks, looking sideways at his companions. "You're the first intelligent beings we've met, aside from the Boggards in the basement. Where is he?"

25. - Top - End - #175

"Hmm? Ah, of course. My sincere apologies. He's on the third floor, just beyond these walls, but I forget that you can't access that region easily." Vexor says after a moment's thought. "The thrones... You've seen them, I take it? The thrones work as teleporters. Sit on them, say the correct key word, and you get transported to the relevant section of the fortress. I think the one for the third floor is 'Nen'."

26. - Top - End - #176

Schtein raises an eyebrow "You think? How long have you been here again? Do you know the word for the second floor and could you give me a short description of the room one would be teleported into at the correct location?"
    Blarg...

27. - Top - End - #177

"The other thrones have their keywords inscribed onto them. They should be easy to find. And the third floor one comes out in the meditation chamber." Vexor growls out, then pauses for a moment. "I don't especially recommend using that chamber yourself though. It seems to turn anyone who isn't a servant of Abaddon into a homicidal psychotic. More so, in any case."

28. - Top - End - #178

Spoiler
    Show
    Edit: I posted something up but you answered it wile I was posting.
    Last edited by Thattaman; 2012-09-01 at 04:20 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Quint lifted his head slightly, a frown forming upon his face. A slight note of confusion in his voice, he continued "Gur ghlac mé tugadh tú anseo mar chaomhnóir? Más rud é nach raibh tú, a d'fhéadfadh ansin mé a bheith chomh trom mar a iarraidh ar cén fáth a roghnaíonn tú chun fanacht anseo in áit ag filleadh ar an eitleán sa bhaile?"

For those that understand Auran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I had assumed you were brought here as a guardian? If you were not, then might I be so bold as to ask why you choose to remain here rather than returning to the home plane?"

Show

30. - Top - End - #180

"Power." The elemental replies, doing a quick circuit of the chamber as a demonstration. "This place is full of lightning, two artifacts scraping off each other, making sparks. I devour, and grow."