New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

Quint cursed inwardly. If the elemental was feeding off the interplay of energies between the artifacts then it was unlikely it would be willing to abandon its adopted home. Slowly, he pieced together a plan to try to persuade it to work with him.

"Feicim ... Éilíonn an tasc atá againn anseo ar ár gcumas a bhaint ceann de na artifacts as an áit go buan, cé go mbeidh sin á dhéanamh a ghlacadh is dócha dúinn roinnt ama. Tuigim go mbeadh tú a bheith drogallach chun ligean dúinn é sin a dhéanamh, agus ní mór dúinn nach mian chun bhfeidhm le troid leat.

Bheadh ​​ár deity, ceann atá ar son táimid ag déanamh seo, gur dóigh sásta chun luach saothair tú ba chóir duit cabhrú linn. Bheadh ​​a leithéid de luach saothair a thabhairt duit cumhachta i bhfad níos mó ná sin a mbeidh an Déantán fuinnimh a thabhairt duit. Ní bheadh ​​tú a bheith faoi cheangal i leith a sheirbhíse, a bheadh ​​an bronntanas a bheith go díreach, le bronntanas.

Más mian leat a bheith sásta aontú le socrú den sórt sin, is féidir liom a bhaint as an seal céanna a thoghairm a luaigh mé a ghlaonn tú nuair a bhfuil ár tasc críochnaithe. Beidh muid dócha anseo ar feadh tamaill le teacht chomh maith, mar sin má bhraith tú nach raibh a bheith againn fíor chun ár focal, is féidir leat a sheiceáil ar ár gcumas a chinntiú go bhfuilimid fós fíor.
    "

For those who speak Auran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I see... Our task here requires us to remove one of the artifacts from this place permanently, though doing so will likely take us some time. I understand that you would be reluctant to allow us to do so, and we have no desire to force a fight with you.

Our deity, one who's behalf we are doing this, would likely be willing to reward you should you assist us. Such a reward would bring you far greater power than that which the artifact's energy will bring you. Neither would you be bound to his service, the gift would be just that, a gift.

If you would be willing to agree to such an arrangement, I could use the same summoning spell that I mentioned to call you once our task is complete. We will likely be here for a while to come as well, so if you felt we were not being true to our word, you could check on us to ensure we are remaining true.
    "

Quint mentally prepared himself for the possibility of an agressive response.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

"You would remove the artifact? Deny me my power, for naught more than a promise of deific reward?" The elemental rumbles in anger. "I have no need of such pathetic gifts. Begone, little Slyph, before I see fit to blast you to atoms for your impertinence!"
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Wincing, Quint remained where he was, moving solely to bow his head once more. "Mé leithscéal a ghabháil Tiarna na stoirmeacha, ach tá mé eagla nach féidir linn a fhágáil. Ní raibh sé ar mo intinn a thabharfadh le tuiscint gur chóir duit a thuilleadh a bheathú ar an bhfuinneamh atá anseo. Ba mhaith liom a thuar go mbeadh deireadh a chur le ceann amháin de na artifacts scaoileadh cumhachta i bhfad níos mó ná tá tú chothú ar go dtí seo. Creidim go mbeadh comparáid a fheistiú a bheith an chumhacht féideartha atá laistigh de na scamaill i gcomparáid leis an bolt lightning a leanas. Má bhí tú a ghabháil cumhacht den sórt sin, rachadh sé chun tairbhe leat mhór.

D'iarr mé ach tú a chur ar saoire shealadach ar an áit ionas gur féidir linn oibriú níos tapúla. D'fhéadfadh muid a acheive fós ár sprioc le do láthair, agus go mbeadh tú bhaint as na sochair a leanúint go fóill, ach bheadh ​​sé níos faide dúinn é sin a dhéanamh.
    "

For those that understand Auran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I apologise lord of the storms, but I am afraid we cannot leave. It was not my intent to suggest that you should cease feeding upon the energies contained here. I would predict that the removal of one of the artifacts would release significantly more power than you have fed upon to date. I believe a fitting comparison would be the potential power contained within the clouds as compared to the lightning bolt that follows. If you were to capture such power, it would benefit you immensely.

I merely requested you take temporary leave of this place so as we could work more quickly. We could still acheive our goal with your presence, and you would still reap the benefits to follow, but it would take longer for us to do so.
    "

Show

4. - Top - End - #184

The elemental pauses and settles slightly. It is not calm, for a being comprised of the storm itself cannot be calm, but you get the impression that it is less likely to attack you outright.

"An interesting idea. Very well, then. I shall return when called, or in three moon's time should you stay silent. I have longed to travel the skies for some time now."

With a sharp gesture, the storm elemental passes one of its gaseous limbs through the knife. The substance that emerges from the wound is closer to stationary lightning than actual blood, floating motionless in the air. Then, with a triumphant roar, the elemental soars out of the sanctum via the balcony and swoops off across the skies of the Caer Byr.

Spoiler
    Show
    And Quint, for defeating the Elemental via Roleplaying on his own, gains the full 3,000xp for doing so.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Heart racing, Quint took a few moments to calm himself. Once he felt a little more relaxed, he stood up and placed the elemental's blood in the vials he'd brought up with him. Slowly, he made his way back down the stairs to rejoin his peers.

Once they were in sight again, he smiled broadly and held up the vial, "I think you're going to be very pleased with this," the smile turned into a grimace, "But now comes the less pleasent part. I need somebody to hold the vial to catch my blood."

Passing off the vial to the first person to offer to hold it, he drew his dagger again and drew it across his arm quickly, wincing as he did so. He let enough blood flow from the wound to provide for the golem before clamping his hand over the cut to staunch it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagger damage then, Quint will be slashing it across the top of his left arm. (1d4)[2]

Show

6. - Top - End - #186

You notice that both of the great, bear-like daemons are staring at the dripping blood with what seems to be an unhealthy level of interest. Still, they make no hostile moves beyond that.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, so, Quint has managed to clear out the Sanctum for you, and the daemons have told you how to access the third floor. Do you want to go meet this High Priest and explore that level, or would you rather have a proper look at the Silver Seal first and consider how to destroy it?

Oh, and everyone gains 800xp for having made it to the Sanctum as a group.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

To Hexor and Vexor - "So tell me, gentlemen, what is your relationship with this High Priest? Oh yes, by the way Quint, there's a High Priest, still here, from the old cult."

8. - Top - End - #188

"As a general rule, we prefer to avoid him. His name is Ezra the Thrice-Damned, and he's not so much a survivor as a revenent shade" Hexor explains.

Vexor indicates the heavy amulet around his neck. "We are bound to this world by our terms of service, and were dragged back into existence. Ezra managed to do the same with little more than hatred and spite."

It's hard to be sure, but you think they're impressed. Or possibly afraid. Then again, the two are hardly different feelings for members of the daemonic legions.

9. - Top - End - #189

Kydrak offers to hold the vial and even offers to cut him himself, but cannot garuntee he'll keep his arm.

10. - Top - End - #190

Schtein nods "I shall place a visit with this head priest, if he is a shade then if worst comes to worst I could always control him. If anyone would like to tag along then fine but I feel it would be beneficial in discovering the origins of the seal and possible methods of destroying the artifact."

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh great DM, could you possibly have a running total of the amount of XP we each receive on the first page of OoC?
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #191

"I would come along with you, incase he needs any... persuasion."

12. - Top - End - #192

SwashbucklerGuy

"We should all go. I get the impression he is formidable, and I would not take him lightly."

13. - Top - End - #193

"Excellent. And we'll save you from walking all the way back down to the caves as well." Hexor says with what you think is meant to be a smile. There is a soft hissing noise, the world seems to stretch, and suddenly you are all standing in another room.

This one, presumably somewhere on the third floor given that you've never seen it before, is far plainer than any of the rest of the temple that you've seen so far. The walls are bare stone, the door is simple wood, and the only ostentation is a ring of beaten copper set into the floor and an inscription on the wall.

In Abyssal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Receive the wisdom of Abaddon.

Hexor and Vexor look around for a moment, then look back to you.

"He should be around here somewhere. Best of luck."

And with that, they vanish in twin cracks of displaced air.

14. - Top - End - #194

From somewhere outside, you hear a faint hissing voice, as though at a great distance.

"Who dares profane this holy place with their heathen presence? Your souls shall burn for this blasphemy..."

15. - Top - End - #195

Kydrak listens to this and smiles at this man who shall try to stop them. He enters the room, his sword drawn and raises his hand. "I do. But we are not being blasphemous, we are spreading a holy cause which you should bow down to, but if your some Mitran preist, you can die or I can torture you. Your choice." Kydrak then approaches this high preist and stares him in the eye leveling him up. Minion, enemy, or tonights entertainment. He hasn't tortured anyone in weeks and could really feel that pleasure more often.

16. - Top - End - #196

Stepping out into the corridor outside, Kydrak comes almost face-to-face with what can only be the high priest. He looks something like this.

"Petty little Asmodean" the wraith intones with a malicious chuckle. "Your infernal god will not save you here."

17. - Top - End - #197

Kydrak realises he's in the face of a wraith king and steps back a bit. "I won't need my lord when it come to a petty wraith like you. I have fought more formidable enemies then you and they ened up as dead as you already are. If you think you can defeat me then your weak lord has told you wrong and the full wrath of Asmodeous will come down on you." Kydrak then casts mage armour on himself and then readies himslef for a combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell list:
    1: Magic missile (2)
    Mage armor
    Magic Weapon
    Charm person
    + Stone Fist

2: Create Pit
    Summon Monster
    Fire Breath
    + Bull's Strength

3: Fireball
    Fly
    + Beast Shape

18. - Top - End - #198

The wraith, a hovering specter of pale green light wrapped in what appear to have once been ceremonial robes, throws back it's head and laughs. The sound, foul and bubbling, echoes throughout the corridor... and is answered.

Through either side of the corridor, more ghostly presences emerge, fading straight through the stonework to surround the defiant wizard. Their faces are twisted open in silent, never-ending screams, and you easily recognize the ornate headbands they are wearing as Iron Circlets similar to your own. It would appear you have confirmed what happened to the remaining three members of the fourth knot.

"This is my temple, little puppet of the devil god. And you dare to threaten me, to invoke the name of a rival god, to insult my liege?" The ghost continues, a cold fury in its other-worldly voice. "Have you grown so tired of life?."

19. - Top - End - #199

Schtein shakes his head and lets out a massive sigh and begins speaking in Infernal "Please good priest ignore this idiot, he talks big but he is relatively harmless. I apologize for his ignorance and we come here only as humble devotees of a cause, it is true that we worship other gods but our purpose remains as one: to bring back the Demon Lord Vitral Kali and though this is your temple I think it is sage to assume that you do not have the means to break the seal. That is where we can be of help, though we worship Asmodeus we are here to free your Lord, come now let us set aside our differences and work together. As for being tired of life: life and death are two faces of the same coin I myself am a mixture of both."
    Blarg...

20. - Top - End - #200

The wraith-priest pauses, and studies Schtein with its dead gaze. "You would seek to free Vetra-Kali? Why? For what purpose could a band of Asmodeans seek to unleash a prince of Abaddon?"

21. - Top - End - #201

Kydrak, now out of the spotlight cast's bull's strength on himself, then Beast Shape 1 and turns him into a wolf man, then he casts magic weapon on his longsword. "We wish to unleash a plague so strong that it could wipe all Mitrans from the face of the planet. If you wish to assist us then we are open, but I have a felling that you would rather die."

22. - Top - End - #202

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor shudders at the sight of the wraiths. While the others talked, he took channeled energy into his gun in expectation of the worst, his weapon glowing a pale blue and suddenly a looking a little less then solid. He also casts Cat's Grace on himself, and then with a flick of his wand, his shield of energy comes into place.

Spoiler
    Show
    He sacrifices Grease to apply the Ghost Touch enchantment to his gun.

Memorized Spells
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st Level
    Mage Armor (Already cast)
    Ray of Sickening (gun) x2
    Grease (cast)

2nd Level
    Scorching Ray (gun)
    Cat's Grace (cast)
    False Life (Already cast)

Updated Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

BAB +3
    Dex-based attacks +8
    HP 29+8=37
    AC 23 (4 armor, 5 dex, 4 shield)
    Touch 19
    Flat-Footed 14
    Initiative +7
    Fort +4
    Ref +8
    Will +5

23. - Top - End - #203

The wraith snarls in anger at Kydrak.

"I wish for nothing more than to see Vetra-Kali returned. But I think three Asmodeans will do as well as four, you insolent fool."

The three wraith-spawn surrounding Kydrek reach out and run ethereal fingers down his living flesh, leaving trails of icy cold nothingness behind. The sense of violation is horrific, as Kydrek takes six points of negative energy damage, and six points of constitution damage.

The wraith priest smiles in ugly satisfaction. "Now... would you consider that object lesson enough, or do I have to devour your soul as well?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Those three attacks there were AoO from the wraith spawn, who were surrounding Kydrek when he cast the beast form and magic weapon spells. Since constitution damage has a knock on effect on hit points, Kydrek is currently hovering on five constitution and four hit points.

24. - Top - End - #204

Kydrak feels suddenly weakened and falls onto the floor. He raises his sword but does not attack. He just glares into his eye with resent. "You wish to kill someone who aims to free your master. A high preist should be willing to have peopole who work for similar causes help yet you are blind to the fact that we may be your only hope of freeing your master and if you kill me then my friends will make sure you never see it happen. So if you want me dead then I will join your horde, but don't expect it to be easy." He then stabs at the closest wraith spawn with all his might.

Spoiler
    Show
    Longsword: (1d20+10)[7](17)
    Crit confirm (1d20+10)[3](13)
    Damage (1d8+8)[5](13)

25. - Top - End - #205

SwashbucklerGuy

As Kydrak lashes out, Victor quickly takes aim at one of the wraith spawn and fires off two shots (switching targets if that one dies from his stab or his own first shot).

"Eat some ethereal lead, you dead freaks!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack
    Versus Touch AC, Ghost Touch so full effect on these guys
    Rapid Shot (+1 extra attack, -2 to hit - second shot reloads with an alchemical cartridge to make reloading a free action)
    Point Blank Shot (+1 to hit, +1 dmg)
    Deadly Aim (-1 to hit, +2 dmg)
    Engineering Knowledge is Power (swift action, spend 1 grit +4 dmg)

First shot
    Hit (1d20+6)[14] Crit confirm (1d20+6)[24] Damage (1d8+7)[11]

Second shot
    Hit (1d20+6)[20] Crit confirm (1d20+6)[21] Damage (1d8+7)[11]

EDIT- +1 to hit & dmg on each, I've been forgetting the +1 enhancement on my pistol all along!

Updated Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

BAB +3
    Dex-based attacks +8
    HP 29+8=37
    AC 23 (4 armor, 5 dex, 4 shield)
    Touch 19
    Flat-Footed 14
    Initiative +7
    Fort +4
    Ref +8
    Will +5
    Grit 3/4
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2012-09-03 at 02:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Kydrak's magically enhanced sword slash misses the wraith spawn, scratching a long slash in the stone wall of the corridor behind it. Victor's first shot is likewise ineffective, though the second one definitely draws some reaction as the spawn hisses and flinches back from the impact.

Ezra Thrice-Damned howls in rage, and then... retreats, backing away up the corridor with gritted teeth. His spawn likewise pull back, one of them leaving a trail of glittering ectoplasmic blood on the floor as it does so. The high priest's voice is torn between unimaginable fury and total despair as he speaks.

"Wait... Wait, damn you." he growls out, almost as though forcing the words through his spectral teeth. "Damn you and your infernal master to the deepest pits of the Abyss, and damn the fates that gave me nothing but you to work with."

His shoulders slump slightly in bitter defeat. "You are right. I cannot free my master from his prison. The wretched Seal placed in his Sanctum by the followers of the Sun God repels me and my kind. I... need your help. And I need you alive."

The Wraith-priest glares at you all, burning hatred in the depths of his gaze, but you can tell you have won. "What... do you want me to do. I am at your service."

27. - Top - End - #207

SwashbucklerGuy

"That's more like it. I'm sure that together we will make this happen, and then I'm sure we can happily resume tearing out each others throats. Now, tell us what you know about the seal binding Vetra-Kali. Everything. What have others tried?"

28. - Top - End - #208

"We can't trust this man! He'd rather see us dead than rule this place. We should kill him and get it over with." Kydrak readies an action to shoot a fireball at all the wraith and spawn if any voilent action is shown to him or his allies.

29. - Top - End - #209

"The seal is a dimensional lock, keyed towards creatures from the lower planes." Ezra grudgingly informs you. "It bars most extra-dimensional travel within the Sanctum, and it's symbolic position chaining my master's statue would automatically bind him should he attempt to return while it remained active."

"However, just as the seal symbolically keeps him away, so do his Eyes give him a way back. When he saw that he was going to be defeated, Vetra-Kali imbued a portion of his own essence into each of his three eyes and tore them from his skull, biding us to conceal them from the vigilance of the Mitrans. This, we managed, even as the attackers slew the last of our number. Through the eyes, Vetra-Kali can communicate to us a way of breaking the seal and bringing him back."

"I have one eye in my possession, stored within the temple's treasury room. There is another on the second floor, and the third is in the caverns somewhere, but I do not know where precisely. The Seal's aura confuses my readings."

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    "We can't trust this man! He'd rather see us dead than rule this place. We should kill him and get it over with." Kydrak readies an action to shoot a fireball at all the wraith and spawn if any voilent action is shown to him or his allies.
    "The fool is correct, in his own way, but I have faith. You may be able to summon Vetra-Kali back to this plane, and even extract from him a reward for your efforts... but he is a Prince of Abaddon, and he will rule here, not you." Ezra returns.

Spoiler
    Show
    The priest might not be entirely correct about that part, but I'll go ahead and give you a hint anyway - don't tell him that. Or he will try to kill you. As might Hexor and Vexor.