New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: Call Forth Darkness IC

Schtein rolls his eyes at the stupidity of the half elf "How about you save us some trouble and kill yourself, this is the only being that knows anything about the seal, which is the entire reason for us being here." He moves his gaze back to the spectre "If we gain possession of these eyes how will they bring back Vetra-Kail? Is there any type of spell or ritual that needs to be done?"
    Blarg...

2. - Top - End - #212

"I would imagine there would be a ritual to complete. Artifacts are not easily broken, and the Sun God's followers did all they could to keep Vetra-Kali banished forever."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kydrak stares at Shtein whit disbeleif. "He insulted us and our faith. Have you no pride? You would allow an abomination like this to live... well not live. You should be defending Asmodeous not this creature. He need us, but we don't need him. So get it over with and let him die! If you choose to ignore me once again, then when we are killed behind our backs, I will blame you when we get to hell." With that he sheaths his sword.

4. - Top - End - #214

Schtein chuckles "You definitely share your peoples sense of drama, and Asmodeus wouldn't be insulted by the likes of him, in fact I would think the Dread Lord would find it amusing. Pride is good but something that I will not allow to get in the way of a mission nor let it cloud my vision. Just settle down, have a glass of wine or something. As for blaming me during our trip to hell, go ahead your judgement means nothing to me. This shade needs us alive and well since he himself is unable to carry out what he desires. So for a time we will be just fine." He moves in close to Kydrak and whispers "We just need to worry about him near the end and when that time comes we will deal with him properly. Just smile and nod for the time being and don't get your small clothes in a twist."
    Blarg...

5. - Top - End - #215

"Very well. Find the remaining two Eyes, and I shall open the treasure vault for you to obtain the third. The longer you delay, the greater the likelihood that something will go wrong, and I have waited too long to be denied now." The wraith hisses, then turns and starts to retreat.

"For what it is worth, the eyes should radiate conjuration magic." With that, he vanishes through a wall to the north. The spawn do likewise.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, two eyes to find. One apparently near or in the caves, and one on the second floor. Where do you start looking, or do you have some other plan in mind?
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

6. - Top - End - #216

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor pauses for a moment before turning to his companions, "Have I ever told you that I hate ghosts?" To Schtein, "Your minions, they're just gross, but these damn things, they creep me out." He affects a shudder, then proceeds to investigate the room, since he had been pre-occupied with the angry ghost when he first entered. While searching, "I suppose we should look for these eyes? I think we should start on the second floor, before heading back down to the caves below."

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming you're getting a quick look over the third floor as a whole. Mostly so I can detail it and otherwise get on with the story.

The third floor of the temple, it appears, was reserved for the highest members of the cult. And, like all such cultists, they did everything they could to live in absolute luxury while plotting the end of the world. The hallway you are presently in seems to serve both as a central passageway and as a historical record, as the walls are carved with elaborate murals depicting the history of Vetra-Kali and his cult. The whole place is lit by Everburning torches that cast flickering green light over everything.

There are chambers for the high priest (though Ezra is nowhere to be seen) and numerous other secondary leaders of the cult, all of which carry extensive battle-scars. The high priests, it seems, chose to make their stand here when the servants of Mitra stormed their fortress-home. The scars of powerful magical duels are everywhere, as are the blasted and long decayed remains of the guards who got caught in the crossfire. Appended to the high priest's chambers is a large library room, which evidently once held the collected wisdom and dark knowledge of the cult. Judging by the piles of ash and splintered wood, the Mitrans burned the entire place on makeshift pyres.

Along the west side of the floor are what can only be sacrificial holding chambers, where the unfortunate victims of the cult were prepared for their final fates. To the south is the balcony entrance that looks out over the Caer Byr - from this vantage point, it looks like the other mountains in the local range are bowing towards the Horn. The area also matches up with where you know there should be a pit trap leading to a capture cell below, so you are careful not to wander too freely.

At least one of the rooms up here was, at one point, very clearly a brothel of some description. Evidently the Sons of the Pale Horseman did not require vows of chastity from its priests. Most of the settings and equipment are long gone and presumably destroyed, but there are disturbing hints in what remains that not everything which made use of the facilities was human. Or even humanoid.

Finally, to the northern end of the floor is a large, ornate temple chamber, where the high priests conducted their rites. There are four shrines along the northern wall - a white one that depicts humanoid figures wasting away and mourning at the sides of great pits, a red one engraved with stylized warriors and coated in old blood, a black one covered in representations of skeletally thing humans and rotting food, and a pale green one that depicts a skeletal horseman on a fiendish horse. In the centre of them all is a large brass statue of the six-armed and three-eyed Vetra-Kali Eats-the-Eyes, paying homage to the four other shrines. Still, there is no disguising the fact that this place was primarily built to honour the daemon prince.

The entire fane radiates magical power in a way that is immediately apparent, even without dedicated scrying. It washes over your skin like waves of cold ice, and you think you can hear faint screams and demented laughter at the very edges of your senses. A magical feedback of this strength, even after so many years abandoned, could only have been caused by one thing. People have died here, in pain and fear. A great many people.

8. - Top - End - #218

Schteins smirks "My what a quaint little room! It invokes that warm fuzzy feeling inside doesn't it? Alas I could have ressurected someone if I would have prepared the spell but alas!" He looks around non chalauntly for anything of interest and his eyes gaze towards the shrine.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+4)[23]
    spellcraft on shrine (1d20+14)[15]
    Blarg...

9. - Top - End - #219

The shrine seems to loom in an intimidating fashion far beyond it's physical appearance. You'd judge that it's actually been magically enchanted to evoke a fear effect if particular conditions are met, but it is currently dormant.

There is also, curiously, a strong conjuration aura coming from the entirely blank and unadorned eastern wall.

10. - Top - End - #220

Schtein pauses at sensing of conjuration, the wraith mentioned the stone would radiate with conjuration magic... Walking over to the eastern wall, Schtein takes his time looking at the eastern wall closely.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you will allow me to take 20 here then i will do so, otherwise I think using detect magic and focusing for 3 rounds would be enough to pinpoint the location of the conjuration aura
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #221

Studying the aura carefully, Schtein determines that it's actually only a section of the wall that is radiating the aura. A door-shaped section, coincidently, presumably with specific trigger to open the portal.

12. - Top - End - #222

Schtein reflects on what the trigger may be whilst starring blankly at the section of the wall.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Arcane (1d20+14)[25]
    Spellcraft (1d20+14)[19]
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #223

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor walks up next to Schtein looking at the blank wall. Folding his arms, he leans over and says quietly, all without taking his eyes off the wall, "Whatcha got here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sadly, Victor can't Detect Magic at will, since he can't do cantrips.

14. - Top - End - #224

Kydrak also studies this aura using detect magic. Then speaks to Victor "Their is a strange aura of conjuration coming from a door shaped area to the eastern wall.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I lose all my spells I cast for a battle? That was a bit of a waste.

15. - Top - End - #225

Schtein guesses the opening command would be verbal, most likely, since there doesn't appear to be anything distinctive for a physical lock. Given the people who likely built this place, the pass phrase being in Abyssal also seems likely.

16. - Top - End - #226

Schtein looks at the gathering of mages now forming around him and says casually "The portal is verbally triggered to an Abyssal words, anyone care to pay a visit to Hexor and Vexor, unless Kydrak wants to pay the high priest another visit" He smirks at the last statement.
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #227

"You called?"

With a faint popping noise, the two daemons are standing behind you again, smiling nastily to themselves.

"The High Priest is absolutely furious. It has been ages since he got so angry. We're amazed you aren't dead." says Hexor.

Vexor nods at the wall. "Ah, you found the treasure vault. That did not take long."

18. - Top - End - #228

Schtein smiles "My how convienent, you two are most definitly handy. As for the high priest.... it's good to show some 'spirit' from time to time lest ones mood becomes 'transparent'!" Schtein giggles at his terrible puns then coughs "Though we were wondering what the trigger word for the door, we have permission from Ezra to enter to obtain a certain relic need for the release of Vetra-Kali. Would you be so kind in aiding us in this task?"
    Blarg...

19. - Top - End - #229

"That seems quite reasonable." Hexor says, and steps forwards to lay a taloned hand on the wall. "Ia, Vetra-Kali."

There is a pause, and then with a faint shimmering motion the section of the wall dissolves away, revealing the vault beyond. It is an impressive sight - the room is approximately a hundred and fifty foot square, and just about every inch of the floor is covered in a solid layer of gold and silver.

The vault is illuminated from seemingly nowhere by an ambient green light, which sets the horde glittering enticingly. Coins, plates, display pieces, solid ingots of precious metals... There is, quite literally, tons of it in here. 3,000lbs or more, to be precise. According to a small inventory list attached to the nearest wall, you are presently looking at somewhere in the region of forty five thousand gold pieces worth of assorted treasure.

And in the middle of it all, held securely in a small metal container shaped to look like a grasping claw, is one of the most flawless looking emeralds you have ever seen. It is about the size of an orc's fist, and if you had to guess, it can only be worth something in the region of twenty thousand gold pieces. The gem practically pulses with magical energy, swamping the room in a feeling of pure hatred and wrath.

"Would you believe that the Paladins never even looked for this?" Vexor chuckles to himself behind you.

20. - Top - End - #230

Schtein laughed softly "I even doubt they would have the capability to have higher thinking beyond 'kill da evil guyz' now would you know if there are any adverse effects to handling the eye? We wouldn't want any unfortunate events to occur now would we?"
    Blarg...

21. - Top - End - #231

"Unfortunately, we cannot say. The last time we saw them, they were in our master's skull. There was never any need to lay talons on them."

22. - Top - End - #232

SwashbucklerGuy

"I would recommend we assume that no contact is best."

23. - Top - End - #233

"Might we offer a suggestion, sirs?" Hexor says after a few moment's thought. "If you do not wish to directly touch the artifacts, well, menial labour and test subjects can usually be obtained easily enough. I do believe there was a tribe of Boggards living near the base of the Horn when last I checked."

24. - Top - End - #234

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor pauses for a moment, stunned by the obviousness of the suggestion. "Hexor, I like you. We're definitely keeping you."

He proceeds to investigate the riches they just discovered.

25. - Top - End - #235

SwashbucklerGuy

"I think perhaps we should go try out the teleportation thrones. Except for the one labeled Nen, since the meditation apparently turns you into a murderous loon."

Anyone have any other ideas?"

26. - Top - End - #236

SwashbucklerGuy

Victor proceeds to sit in the first throne, speak the command word, and see where it takes him.

27. - Top - End - #237

Speaking the word inscribed on the throne while seated in it takes you nowhere. You have to speak the word inscribed over your preferred destination.

Nen - Takes you to the meditation throne on the third floor
    Rah - Takes you to the throne on the second floor
    Yah - Takes you to the throne on the first floor.

28. - Top - End - #238

SwashbucklerGuy

(OOC) Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the whole throne thing.

Victor sits down on the throne on the second flooor, and speaks the word "Yah".

29. - Top - End - #239

There is a faint crack noise, and you find yourself in the throne room on the first floor, as expected.

30. - Top - End - #240

SwashbucklerGuy

Having confirmed for himself how the thrones worked, Victor looks for one of his companions that can Detect Magic (all of them...) and takes them with him to investigate the statue/fountain of Charon more closely.

"There's no way this thing is still running so purely without some magic involved. Perhaps there's an eye hidden with it?"