New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Let's Play: Neverwinter Nights (Prelude Finished)

So a few days ago I decided I want to do some spelunking into the odd and wondrous world of video let's plays and today is the day I'm getting this boat off shore and into the acid ocean that is the Internet.

For those unfamiliar with Neverwinter Nights, this is a series of games made by BioWare, Which did not make the sequel, Neverwinter Nights 2, by the way. It was made by Obsidian 4 years after the original.

Neverwinter Nights is a third person RPG based on D&D, although I'm unaware if it's 3e or 3.5e. The combat is turn based, although most movement would act out in real time.

The setting is focused around Neverwinter, a city located along the Sword Coast of Faerun, with an entire arc being in Luskan, a city to the north of Neverwinter and not really it's ally.

Join me as we attempt to cure the Wailing Death plague and stopping the mysterious forces that are behind it, trying to take down the city of Neverwinter!

I decided to go with a sorcerer named Wall-E and his cat named Claus.

All Episodes

Pre-Prelude:
    Intro: Nasher, a Badass in Action!
    Char Gen: Wall-E is made.

Prelude:
    Intro: The Worst Academy!
    Part 1: Training complete?
    Part 2: Things get real!
    Part 3: Claus no more.
    Part 4: Failed Rescue.

Chapter 1:
    Intro: Into the streets!
    Part 1: The Hall of Justice!
    Part 2: Abuse and Sell!

The Intellect Devourer:
    Part 3: Into the Peninsula.
    Part 4: Pillage and Die.
    Part 4.5: The Tomb
    Part 5: The Tanglebrook Estate
    Part 6: The Prison
    Part 7: The Containment Level
    Part 8: The Pits!
    Part 9: The Fall of Krang.

The Yuan-Ti:
    Part 10: Beggar's Nest
    Part 11: Of Wolfs and Werehouses.
    Part 12: Yuan-Ti, the Death
    Part 13: Clearing the Nest.
    Part 14: Nest's End.

The Dryad:
    Part 15: Through No-Man's Land
    Part 16: Questing in Blacklake.
    Part 17: The Hodge Estate
    Part 18: A Stealthy Operation
    Part 19: Wizard Cleanup
    Part 20: Animal Rescue

The Cockatrice:
    Part 21: Of Docks and Wizards

Plan is to complete the original campaign and both expansions. Note, I'm naturally lazy and a cheater, but with a tiny portion of strangers on the Internet watching me, I'm compelled to play it straight and honest.

Any requests and suggestions are welcomed, especially general praise.
    Last edited by Sliver; 2012-10-18 at 05:16 PM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Let's Play: Neverwinter Nights

NWN lets play?

What is this....? I am so watching when I get access to youtube in an hour. I'll post my thoughts.

EDIT: Screw it, I have an unlimited data plan on my phone for a reason.

"We get it already. Die."
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2012-08-15 at 07:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play: Neverwinter Nights

And BAM! Chapter 3: Things get real!

Glad to see someone enjoyed it.

Edit: Chapter 4: Claus no more.

Edit2: Well, I figured that it wasn't Claus at fault here and fixed the issue. Although now we have Santa instead. Should I keep Santa? Get Claus back and apologize? Or should we get a different familiar?

Chapter 5 is on it's way and marks the end of the Prelude. This will be the last chapter out until Sunday.

Chapter 5: Failed Rescue.
    Last edited by Sliver; 2012-08-16 at 11:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Let's Play: Neverwinter Nights (Prelude Finished)

Crossbow bolt to the face! Excellent. Though, one does wonder why the Mage didn't summon his own familiar?

I'd suggest getting Claus back, the sneak attack damage he provides will greatly benefit in the near future. Also, he makes a pretty good tank if you lay Mage Armor on him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Interesting choice. Best familiar to go with is naturally the Pixie, as it essentially counts as a rogue FOR YOU, and can unlock all chests, defeat all traps, etc etc. I think I will watch this, it looks... interesting.

Will give more feedback as I watch.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Huh. I was just thinking about doing a NWN LP myself, although I'm reluctant to do so given my track record on let's plays.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    Crossbow bolt to the face! Excellent. Though, one does wonder why the Mage didn't summon his own familiar?
    I'm not sure why not, but it's possible that it was because he already summoned him before, as we have seen it in the first encounter.

@Alaris - I'm not really inclined to go with Pixie because... Well, there are ways around all that. If I take Claus, he can trigger traps and evade the damage, while just smash normal locked chests and doors, or Knock them open. Other familiars could just trigger traps and soak the damage, I'll just feed them afterwards.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

8. - Top - End - #8

That's cool. I mean now you will enjoy it most as you will be able to unlock all chests, defeat all traps and now you would be able to do whatever you want to, this is the most interesting thing in this game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

So I'll probably will go back to Claus and apologize. But there is yet an important question to be answered.

Who will be our henchman?

Our choices are: gnome sorcerer, Half-Orc Barbarian, Dwarf Monk, Elf Cleric, Human Bard or Halfling Rogue.

I believe a solid frontliner like the barbarian or monk will serve us best. They will help Claus and the summons survive, and Claus will have more sneak attack opportunity!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    So I'll probably will go back to Claus and apologize. But there is yet an important question to be answered.

Our choices are: gnome sorcerer, Half-Orc Barbarian, Dwarf Monk, Elf Cleric, Human Bard or Halfling Rogue.

I believe a solid frontliner like the barbarian or monk will serve us best. They will help Claus and the summons survive, and Claus will have more sneak attack opportunity!
    My recommendation is for the Elf Cleric, as they can be frontline fighters, as well as buffers/healers, which is something a Sorcerer would definitely need.

EDIT: I recommend putting in the description (or at the start of the video) a note to watch it in FULL SCREEN, because otherwise, it looks like it's bad-quality (too small). It looks fine in full screen though.
    Last edited by Alaris; 2012-08-17 at 01:24 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

11. - Top - End - #11
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The somewhat munchkinish answer is "all of them" - but just long enough to complete their quests and get their special reward items. You can pick up a henchman, do quest-related conversation, and then immediately dump him for another one to repeat the process. While the dialog in the later stages indicates progress is due to adventuring with the same henchman for a while, the actual criterion is your level. Just cycle through them again every level or two, and you can end up with all 6 henchman reward items easily.

As for which one to actually take with you into combat, front-liner sounds good. In my own playthroughs I most often actually went without a henchman because they reduce your XP gain.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, here it is.

Chapter 1:
    Intro: Into the Streets!
    Part 1: The Hall of Justice!
    Part 2: Abuse and Sell!

Part 1 and 2 are still being uploaded, with part 1 going online in less than 2 hours. Part 2 will take longer than that.

I'm posting now because I'm going to bed. Goodnight, hope you enjoy the update!

Good morning. Everything is online!
    Last edited by Sliver; 2012-08-19 at 10:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I seem to recall Boddyknock having an infamously awful AI. Nothing that wasn't near-immediately remedied by a fanmade AI enhancement, but still.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter 1, Part 3: Into the Peninsula.

Next episode will be out at Friday.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm currently playing the first few hours of NWN2 for possibly the 100th time because inbetween computer virus', crashes, losses of data and everything else I keep having to restart or getting bored of my character class.

Though saying that, I don't suppose there's a way to change class mid-way through the game via the console?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Not through console, but NWN has a char editing tool so I'd assume NWN 2 has a similar one as well.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter 1, Part 4 is done uploading.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting episode!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by milleris View Post
    I'm currently playing the first few hours of NWN2 for possibly the 100th time because inbetween computer virus', crashes, losses of data and everything else I keep having to restart or getting bored of my character class.

Though saying that, I don't suppose there's a way to change class mid-way through the game via the console?
    Useful build tip! (Though also sort of a spoiler that everyone saw coming anyway.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Tip: You will end up hating yourself so much around endgame if you base your build off of sneak attacks, crits, or killing things that aren't undead. Because there are a lot of undead in the last act. In fact, there's a shocking dearth of enemies that aren't undead in the last act. Most of the hard enemies in the game are undead.

With the obvious exception of that one Red Dragon. Which isn't a spoiler because we all knew that a dragon would show up at some point.

Honestly, though, the NWN2 OC isn't meant to be taken seriously. It can't be. It has to be an intentional cliche storm for the purpose of humor. I choose to believe that because the other option is that it's by far the least interesting story to ever appear in an Obsidian game.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Sliver; 2012-08-26 at 08:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Sliver; 2012-09-03 at 01:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Sliver; 2012-09-05 at 11:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Do continue, its interesting.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I'm finally up to date watching this- a little hint for the Yuan-ti battle...

There's an altar further into the room which is providing the Yuan-ti with power- if you destroy it, the Yuan-ti is easier to kill.

You may also want to swap out your cloak of protection for a cloak of fortification when you have the money for one- it does the same but with an added bonus to all saves.

Finally, a little trick I found which can give masses of extra experience is that if you bash the plague victim pyres with a weapon that does fire damage, you get experience every time you hit them until they run out of hit points (total gain depends on how hard you hit them, but 600-700 is easily possible per pyre)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I have already recorded the episode dealing with the Yuan-Ti, although I didn't know about the altar... Well, got her anyway.

Yeah, I saw the improved cloak. Does it stack with the ring that adds +1 to all saves? Because I have that one now... Might trade both for the cloak when I need the extra ring slot if they don't stack.

Interesting trick, but honestly, if I want the xp, I can just cheat it in. Not that much different from exploiting a bug. I'd like my xp to all be from a legitimate source this time around.

Actually, part 13 will be up in a few hours, just starting to export it. In the meanwhile, you are more than welcome to check my other LP, in the sig.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I have already recorded the episode dealing with the Yuan-Ti, although I didn't know about the altar... Well, got her anyway.

Yeah, I saw the improved cloak. Does it stack with the ring that adds +1 to all saves? Because I have that one now... Might trade both for the cloak when I need the extra ring slot if they don't stack.

Interesting trick, but honestly, if I want the xp, I can just cheat it in. Not that much different from exploiting a bug. I'd like my xp to all be from a legitimate source this time around..
    Fair enough- I don't recall whether the Universal save boosts stack, but it'll stack with boosts to individual saves, and the extra ring slot will be handy soon enough...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Part 13 is out! Here we are, Clearing the Nest.
    Last edited by Sliver; 2012-09-08 at 09:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Part 13 is out! Here we are, Clearing the Nest.
    I see you left us on a cliffhanger- will the party destroy the locked chest the way they destroyed every other locked chest in the game? Find out next time.
    Part of YugiohITP