New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,503 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: She Blinded Me with Science! (Magitek That Doesn't Make Me Cry Myself To Sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by Hovannes View Post
    Your introduction is brilliant and I agree with most of it. I am surprised, for a 25 year old you a great deal of wisdom. I came to that same conclusion about 10 years ago, and I was 38 then. Today originality is a fleeting commodity and most gaming systems get worse with each new version because the people who write them ‘don’t get it’. Adding a few colorful pictures, giving a class a bunch of bonuses, or a creative description will not cure the real problem.

D&D type games have one main flaw, they are level based. It took me a long time to let go of this core fundamental aspect – I really loved the gaming system, heck it started the RPG craze.

Without levels you lose, a mountain of Hit Points, which always accumulate as you increase in level. I have noticed that most players become less cautious, less disciplined, and more arrogant as the number of hit points go up. “Ok, throw that fireball, I got enough HPS to handle it, and I will reach you with my +5 sword the following round.” Anyway, I digress.

Ok then, what replaces the accumulation of HPS to gauge the power level of a character? – smarter and more experienced players (not in game characters – PCs). To the PC we can add, better equipment, more allies, and if the GMs is running a good game world/campaign, recognition for deeds accomplished in game.

Death, even of a fantasy character, has to have meaning. Only luck can change the outcome between two mismatched (read as levels) characters, where the amount of luck needed increases based on the disparity between ability increases. In cases where characters are more evenly matched, skill (both as a PC and as player controlling the character) often determines the outcome. Yes, luck still helps, but defeating an opponent without luck is worth much more to the character’s (and player’s ) self esteem.

Well, I could go on and on, but I have already put these thought to work in a gaming system I have designed. If you agree with this post, have a look and see what you think.

Point System Fantasy – focuses on open-ended character development. It’s not level based and allows players to build characters they want to play, not ‘cookie-cutter’ classes or prestige classes that are build on failed concepts.

I invite your comments.

Hovannes
    Did you hit the wrong thread? This is not relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: She Blinded Me with Science! (Magitek That Doesn't Make Me Cry Myself To Sleep)

Isn't there supposed to be a 50 page limit?
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Troll in the Playground

Longer disrupts the forum's ability to keep track. There is a new thread for this project here.

Calling for a lock on this one.