New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ten Favorite Superhero Movies?

Avengers
    X-Men: First Class
    Blade 1 (and only 1)
    Dark Knight
    Batman Begins
    Hancock
    Batman

yep thats it pretty much

I don´t know about X-Men 1 anymore so I put it in the mediocre category I guess.

As for Thor I just don´t get what most people see in the movie, it was okay but has very little memorable scenes actually "Another!" would be the one scene that will maybe always stick with me, but the rest mediocre to the core
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-08-16 at 07:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Thor just sort of had a lot of energy. It was fun throughout. And the casting was good.

I can't understand what people see in Captain America. The first third or so was sort of enjoyable, if taking itself a bit too serious for my tastes (oh my god, the pathos. So much pathos). But the rest was just tedious to sit through.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #33

Thor just sort of had a lot of energy. It was fun throughout. And the casting was good.

I can't understand what people see in Captain America. The first third or so was sort of enjoyable, if taking itself a bit too serious for my tastes (oh my god, the pathos. So much pathos). But the rest was just tedious to sit through.

4. - Top - End - #34

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Man that movie must have enough energy for three separate replies

I thought Captain America was pretty horrible tbh
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-08-16 at 08:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I thought the first half or so of Hancock was good but then it petered out as it got into the main plot.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    What Plothole? I must have seen Hellboy 2 a half-dozen times and I can't say I noticed anything glaring.
    Spoiler
    Show

At the point when King Balor orders the execution of Nuada, Nuada asks Nuala if she accepts this outcome. She says she does. The moment she escapes, she can simply kill herself and end the plot. Even if she wanted to make sure Wink couldn't finish the project alone, she could have then done it after he died. The only explanation I can think of might be that she wasn't sure if she should put the power of the Golden Army in the hands of humanity, but she knew Abe well enough she could trust him, or could have dropped the key down a storm drain or thrown it into the ocean or something.

I obviously don't mind this plot hole, since it's my very favorite Superhero movie.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked the format of Slayer Scott, but I put an additional category.

Best – The Dark Knight, Iron Man, X-Men 2, X-Men First Class, Avengers, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, The Watchmen

Great - Batman (1989), Iron Man 2, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Dark Knight Rises, Thor, X-Men, Blade, Punisher (2004)

Good - Hellboy, Unbreakable, The Amazing Spider-Man, Kick Ass, Batman Returns, V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, The Incredible Hulk, Hancock

Watchable - Hellboy: The Golden Army, Mystery Men, Hulk (2003), Blade 2, Superman Returns

Suck – League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Punisher (1989), Punisher: War Zone (2008), Ghost Rider, Sin City, Spider-Man 3, Blade 3, Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men 3, Captain America (1990), Fantastic 4, Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

EDIT: And I want to mention this.
    Last edited by Logic; 2012-08-17 at 04:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

I like The Dark Knight Rises more than Dark Knight or begins. Its in my top ten without a doubt.

Watchmen is my favorite superhero movie, hands down.

Mystery Men is probably my second favorite. I adore that movie.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

At the point when King Balor orders the execution of Nuada, Nuada asks Nuala if she accepts this outcome. She says she does. The moment she escapes, she can simply kill herself and end the plot. Even if she wanted to make sure Wink couldn't finish the project alone, she could have then done it after he died. The only explanation I can think of might be that she wasn't sure if she should put the power of the Golden Army in the hands of humanity, but she knew Abe well enough she could trust him, or could have dropped the key down a storm drain or thrown it into the ocean or something.

I obviously don't mind this plot hole, since it's my very favorite Superhero movie.
    Ah. Yeah, I realized that one, but honestly, I wouldn't call it a plot hole, really. I can totally see someone being willing to go along with execution, but not quite having the stomach for suicide.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: Ten Favorite Superhero Movies?

Ah. Yeah, I realized that one, but honestly, I wouldn't call it a plot hole, really. I can totally see someone being willing to go along with execution, but not quite having the stomach for suicide.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree. Being willing to die is very different from being willing to kill yourself. People who let that ruin the movie for them probably weren't going to enjoy it regardless.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

12. - Top - End - #42

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Whoa, that guy was Punished too. Thanks for the link.

As to what superhero movies I don't like? There are only two I really can't stand. The Fantastic Four-movies. They were only mediocore at their very finest points (Mediocore Four, heh) but the guy who played Doom is deserving to be brought before justice even more than the original Doom of the comics.
    Signatures are so 90's.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    That is amazing!!!!!! Best Punisher movie so far
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

I can't believe nobody has brought up the best worst superhero movie: The Return of Captain Invincible. Starring Alan Arkin and Christopher Lee, it is the story of Captain Invincible, America's golden hero disgraced during the McCarthy era and called back into action years later to once again save the world from his old foe, Mr. Midnight. Oh, and it's a musical.

Honorable mention is Meteor Man, starring Robert Townshend. A mild-mannered school teacher is struck by a meteor, which gives him superpowers. It has a good cast, a decent message, and is genuinely funny most of the time, especially during the final battle scene.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Diskhotep View Post
    Honorable mention is Meteor Man, starring Robert Townshend. A mild-mannered school teacher is struck by a meteor, which gives him superpowers. It has a good cast, a decent message, and is genuinely funny most of the time, especially during the final battle scene.
    I remember that movie!!!!!! Childhood..........
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

I haven’t seen much of the superhero movies. But my brother usually watches these kinds of movies. I have seen Batman Begins, Ironman, Spiderman and Thor. I think Batman and Spiderman are the best superhero movies of all time.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My list, based mostly on how much I want to watch it when I flip by it on TV.
    1. Watchmen (In the same rank as The Patriot and Braveheart. If it is on TV I watch it.)
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Captain America II: The Winter Soldier
    4. Avengers
    5. The Dark Knight Rises (Yes I know)
    6. Batman (the old joker one)
    7. Iron Man III
    8. Thor II
    9. Hellboy
    10. Other Iron Man movies and first Thor

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

1. Mystery Men
    2. Guardians Of The Galaxy
    3. The Avengers
    4. Iron Man
    5. Iron Man 2
    6. Captain America - First Avenger
    7. The Second Spider Man movie (the one with Doc Ock)
    8. Tim Burton's Batman
    9. Blade
    10. The first Spider Man movie (the one with Green Goblin)
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Does Guardians of the Galaxy count? I thought it was a space western like Firefly.

20. - Top - End - #50

My favourite superhero is Thread, the Necroman.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

My favourite superhero is Thread, the Necroman.
    Looks like a mummy, I'm sure.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

22. - Top - End - #52

PirateGirl

I haven't watched a whole lot of the recent wave of superhero movies. But sure, I'll give this a try.

Megamind, The Incredibles, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Watchmen... Maybe I just don't really like superhero movies, but I can't think of any others I'd actually want to place on a top list of any kind. At least not right now.

Out of those, my ranking would go like this:

5) Watchmen - For the most part a faithful adaptation, but too many minor changes or stuff left out which ends up harming the overall themes of the story. I probably would have liked it more if it wasn't one of the few comics I've actually read before. And if the original comic weren't such a great piece of literature.

4) Batman Begins - I really liked the atmosphere of this movie. In terms of dark things, this is how you do such stuff. Nothing really amazing about the story, it was just competent and didn't feel overly ridiculous or indulgent the way so many superhero movies tend to be.

3) The Incredibles - Excellent use of a superhero setting. It's a perfect example that an origin story is not something that is ever needed for a superhero plot. It's also pretty good to see the detail about how even living an ordinary life, someone can still act like a superhero. Mr. Incredible's day job scene is awesome.

2) Megamind - The biggest flaw I can think of in this movie is the character design. Even though I really dislike Will Ferrel, he did a great job here. Evidence that it's the material he usually gets that makes him unlikable, not his actual talent.

Spoiler: Seriously!
    Show
    You make one of the main themes of your movie about how appearances are not what makes someone good or bad, then you give the main character those big, puppy dog eyes? Beyond undermining its own theme, I found that overly manipulative aspect to the design quite distracting! Megamind should have had beady, black or red eyes.

But the story other than that? Very good.

1) The Dark Knight - Lots of engaging action with a great story. The Joker in this movie is probably one of the best villains ever. Everything about this movie works. It's going to be hard for anyone to ever top this.

It's been too long since I've seen things like The Rocketeer, Darkman, The Matrix, Waterworld, The Shadow, Spider-Man 2 and some of the other movies people have mentioned here.

I didn't begin to actually notice whether movies were actually good or bad until fairly recently. Really. When I originally saw the Super Mario Brothers movie in theaters, I thought it was very good. Along with a lot of other crap. So I don't trust a lot of my pre-awareness to movie goodness memories. Therefore, I didn't include movies I haven't more recently evaluated.

As an aside, I'm not sure what to consider the Adam West Batman movie. I've seen it a few times, laughed at how ridiculous it was, and can't really say that it's bad. Nearly every scene and line in the movie is funny and it's hard not to find it entertaining because of that. But would I consider it a favorite? I don't honestly know. I can't say I've ever felt a desire to see it again. So it's probably not a favorite.

And second, I've never watched a Robin Hood movie before, but isn't he a superhero? I thought a lot of people liked those movies, so I would have expected someone to have mentioned one of them in this thread. But I guess Robin Hood maybe brushes the edge of what's considered a superhero movie. Count of Monte Cristo?