New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Serpentine's Secretly Sapphic Salacious Sacrarium of Random Banter #180

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Fine. Young lady.
    (Though young woman is an accurate and consistently used piece of terminology for females from 13-20, so I would argue your definition.)
    Argh, nitpicking!

The point is the (presumably fairly large) age difference and the contrast between a kid and an adult is all.
    Last edited by Form; 2012-08-25 at 01:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Serpentine's Secretly Sapphic Salacious Sacrarium of Random Banter #180

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Well, for starters, 14 is a little girl, a freshman in high school, maybe, not a young woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Argh, nitpicking!

The point is the (presumably fairly large) age difference and the contrast between a kid and an adult is all.
    This is why I explained how I wasn't seriously flirting with her: I.e. "Lightly" and "Jokingly."
    Since, you know. I was doing so with her parents right there.

What do you think flirting means, anyway?

Edit: Also, linguistically, 13 and older is a young man or woman in english.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2012-08-25 at 01:38 PM.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is why I explained how I wasn't seriously flirting with her: I.e. "Lightly" and "Jokingly."
    Since, you know. I was doing so with her parents right there.
    Yeah ... That doesn't help too much. That might almost be creepier because one couldn't tell if you were being serious or not. It's creepy for an 18 year old to flirt with a 14 year old.

Edit: Also, linguistically, 13 and older is a young man or woman in english.
    As Form said, nitpicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah ... That doesn't help too much. That might almost be creepier because one couldn't tell if you were being serious or not. It's creepy for an 18 year old to flirt with a 14 year old.
    When you go to a restaurant, the waiter doesn't mildly flirt with you?
    Because that's one of the best ways to get tips, especially if you are open and honest about it.

As Form said, nitpicking.
    I'm just nitpicking in response to what I see as nitpicking from you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

5. - Top - End - #845

It might sound creepy, but I'm sure it wasn't. Because, you know, he got a large tip from the people who would be calling the police if he was being creepy.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

When you go to a restaurant, the waiter doesn't mildly flirt with you?
    Because that's one of the best ways to get tips, especially if you are open and honest about it.
    Going out to sit down restaurants would imply I have money. Silly, I save that for fun stuff. And whenever I do I seem to get male waiting staff. Hmm...

I'm just nitpicking in response to what I see as nitpicking from you.
    *rolls eyes* You called a girl who isn't even the age of consent a woman. Something's a little off with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    It might sound creepy, but I'm sure it wasn't. Because, you know, he got a large tip from the people who would be calling the police if he was being creepy.
    It's hard to tell. Probbaly.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Going out to sit down restaurants would imply I have money. Silly, I save that for fun stuff. And whenever I do I seem to get male waiting staff. Hmm...

*rolls eyes* You called a girl who isn't even the age of consent a woman. Something's a little off with that.

I've witnessed plenty of gentle flirting in my life that wasn't at all creepy because it was obvious there was no real intent. In one case it's even proven positive because it built the self-esteem of a young teen who clearly had none.

I don't agree that referring to a young woman as a woman is particularly off, but there is definitely a fine line you're treading, there...

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

8. - Top - End - #848
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    It's times like these, you need to take advice from the Pet Shop Boys.
    Be broken as all hell?*

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Random Wilderness exploration? Just you, a tent, a swiss knife and animals to attack, mangle, cook and eat.

Go North! Greenland!

Or keep going south and you'll eventually reach the Amazons where wonderful boat tours await and you can see live community and video game like jungle ruins which are fully explorable because no one even bothers to pay for security for them. Also, amazing river side sunsets and log cabins with electricity.
    Fairly certain that's illegal without a permit and also stupid since I routinely trip over my own feet. Adventuring out into the Canadian Shield would literally be suicide.

I said east because I was under the impression that everyone I know is east or south of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Good gods, y'all. Just stay loose, have fun, talk to EVERYBODY. It's hard at first, but just put yourself out there, you'll make lots of friends.
    See, I'd do that, but it's kind of weird for someone to just approach you on a street. I don't want to be rude after all! I do know the general location of the library, so I could try that, but again I just...think it's rude to just randomly talk to people

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    You should be a canadian pirate.

I can't decide if that is just trippy, or some weird soviet propaganda.
    Interesting.

*no one will get this reference
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-08-25 at 01:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For the person being flirted with or the person who started the flirting?

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I call everyone female young lady, I don't think you have much of an argument there.

I work as a waiter in a restaurant. You are arguing that because I used the words flirting in conjunction with 14 year old, I'm creepy, even though this is what people pay me to do (as well as bring them their food).
    If I didn't interact with customers, flirting with women and chatting up the guys, I wouldn't make any money.
    I also have absolutely no intent of going further than flirting. As a waiter I can only go so far, and no farther. I've had women give me there numbers, which I inevitably just give to the guys in the kitchen, since they don't get these sorts of chances.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2012-08-25 at 01:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Since I call everyone female young lady, I don't think you have much of an argument there.
    So basically your diction is slightly irregular, and it's our fault for being confused. Cool.

I work as a waiter in a restaurant. You are arguing that because I used the words flirting in conjunction with 14 year old, I'm creepy, even though this is what people pay me to do (as well as bring them their food).
    If I didn't interact with customers, flirting with women and chatting up the guys, I wouldn't make any money.
    Flirt with the parents then. I get you're suppose to be charismatic, and I think my mom tipped higher when waiting staff talked to me back when I still regularly went out with her. But a big part of that was they were her age or thereabout and wouldn't mention their own kids.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-08-25 at 01:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

So basically your diction is slight irregular, and it's our fault for being confused. Cool.
    Except that I explicitly called her a young woman, not a young lady. I know the terms are interchangeable, but in this case I was being linguistically correct.
    If you want to say that young lady is an incorrect term for a 13-20 year old woman, fine, but as I said earlier, in english it's linguistically correct.

Flirt with the parents then.
    I did that as well.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    See, I'd do that, but it's kind of weird for someone to just approach you on a street. I don't want to be rude after all! I do know the general location of the library, so I could try that, but again I just...think it's rude to just randomly talk to people
    Well, a library might not be the best place, because, you know, silence and all that...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Except that I explicitly called her a young woman, not a young lady. I know the terms are interchangeable, but in this case I was being linguistically correct.
    If you want to say that young lady is an incorrect term for a 13-20 year old woman, fine, but as I said earlier, in english it's linguistically correct.
    Linguistically correct (according to who, BTW), sure, but colloquially? The thing people generally pay attention to.

I did that as well.
    I guess it all depends what you mean by "light" flirting. "Light" flirting like people do around here (then again, I am currently in HS) from waiting staff would really freak me out as a parent.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Linguistically correct (according to who, BTW), sure, but colloquially? The thing people generally pay attention to.
    Every single dictionary reference and pop-culture reference I can find. You've never heard a parent on a sitcom say "Go to your room this instant Young Lady/Woman!!"
    And not just sitcoms, either. It's common parlance, as far as I can tell.

I guess it all depends what you mean by "light" flirting. "Light" flirting like people do around here (then again, I am currently in HS) from waiting staff would really freak me out as a parent.
    As I asked before, what do you think flirting is?

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #856

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, a library might not be the best place, because, you know, silence and all that...
    Good point. Hmm.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Every single dictionary reference and pop-culture reference I can find. You've never heard a parent on a sitcom say "Go to your room this instant Young Lady/Woman!!"
    And not just sitcoms, either. It's common parlance, as far as I can tell.
    That's suppose to condescending and/or not serious at all. Something done in anger. Or so my experience would show.

As I asked before, what do you think flirting is?
    Overly gracious, probably sexual (but not necessarily), compliments. *shrug*
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-08-25 at 02:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point. Hmm.
    Plenty of libraries have 'loud' spaces, where it's alright to speak at a normal volume. Plus, as long as someone isn't terribly intent on their reading, most people don't mind it when someone asks about their book politely.
    That's suppose to condescending and/or not serious at all. Something done in anger.
    So calling someone Young Woman/Lady is something done in a not serious fashion.......
    I'd like to point out that that was my point, overall. That I was not flirting with her seriously, and thus used terms and phrases to indicate that?

Overly gracious, probably sexual (but not necessarily), compliments. *shrug*
    Again, yes, that's what I did. Done from a place where it is obvious that it is not appropriate (say, a young teenager being overly polite to a much older woman, or an older gentleman being gracious to a much younger woman) is well excepted as polite and harmless forms of flirting in society, I thought.
    Admittedly, I was touching the line somewhat by flirting with someone much younger than me, which is why I made clear when I learned her age that she was well below my limit, but it was still fun none the less.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2012-08-25 at 02:21 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #859

Wish people would flirt with me when I went to restaurants. Probably don't because of the people I go with are typically boring.

Actually, thinking about it, I have been flirted with at restaurants when with groups of people I constantly joke with. So yeah, not unusual I guess.

20. - Top - End - #860

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Considering that Venus lacks our lean, and has a few more problems than perpetual spautumn, I think it might have a few more serious consequences than that.
    Venus' problems have nothing to do with its lack of axial tilt, they come from a runaway greenhouse effect caused mostly by its massively different geological processes (Venus has no plate tectonics like we do here on Earth). Put Venus where Earth is and give it the same axial tilt and it would probably still be a four-hundred-degree hellhole.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Sounds like Zodi's due for a copy of Wintersmith next time it comes around to the gift-giving season.
    Before that she'll need Hat Full of Sky. We can skip Wee Free Men as it's less contexty, and we wont even tell her about the existence of I Shall Wear Midnight. That book was not good.

Alas. Do you not have a small group of good friend that you can hang out with? I mean, it's not like everyone in high school is a nice person to be around, but you've go to have some people you like to be around, yeah? I know when I was an underclassman I almost never socialized, and oh boy, do I regret it.
    Nope. The few people who I like either look down on me, or get irritated with me if I ever relax and show my true colors. I spent my entire last year (first time in a public high school, before that I was in FDS/dropped out) trying to hang out with people, I'm just that crappy at it.

Freshman year all I did was do D&D.
    Sophomore year I did D&D, the fall play, and mentoring.
    Junior year I did D&D, the fall play, the spring susical, mentoring, and trivia bowl.
    This year? I don't even know. All that stuff. And I started a theater club. You just got to find the sort of people you like to be around and take initiative.
    Last year I wasn't accepted into the only DnD group in my school because the other guys in the group thought I was too spazzy. I'm so nerdy and weird the DnD kids wont let me hang out with them.

The people I was hanging out with last year are the ones who do all the things I enjoy doing.

As for the Con it's just a tiny one. It doesn't even have a Wiki page like the "big" one I go to at the end of January. Maybe, like, 2000 people will show up all weekend? It'll still be fun though. That's why I'm going with good friends. Although, they did get the Hyatt this year. Maybe they're expecting an attendance spike. Hmm.
    2000 is about a fifth of my town. Country Retirement town, see?

Aww, that's sweet.

Ugh, yeah, I got you on that one. Location is playing way too much into where I want to go to College. I know that basically whatever happens and/or I do a year abroad, it's Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, or Minnesota, but still. Yeesh. And then I need to get an actual job. Thinking I'm going to apply to a place that sells random used stuff. Fun place. And my friend works there. Minimum wage for inventory doesn't sound too bad if I have a buddy.

Perhaps some other time.
    My happiest time this summer wasn't even France (that was amazing, but I stressed a lot about not getting my dad tetchy.) It was the one single week in an acting group with three other kids my age, coming up with wacko plans to prank our townspeople and laughing at eachother's behavior. First time in the whole summer where I was totally relaxed and acted like myself. I wish there were more actors in the world. We're totally the best kind of crazy.

Not even location. I'm freaking out over the very idea that I might start college at some point. And jobs. Getting a job seems scary.

Years, man.

Nah, you don't. It's suffice to say I had a good time with people I enjoy being around.
    I totally do!

ION: Holy crap, Michael Sabat's going to be at the Con. Must get a recording of "OVER 9000!"
    Christopher Sabat is his name, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Simple solution, purchase property on the southern hemisphere, move on April to Northern Hemisphere, move to Southern back in October.
    Then I'll just have to go to school on another continent.

ION: Well, in a rush of "I really need to talk to people or I'll go crazy", I called three people today. I ended up getting a promise to call back from one of them, talking for two hours to one of them (who I haven't contacted for 8 months, a really cool friend of mine who I missed), and getting a short plan with my crush to maybe meet up at some point (once he gets back from Burning Man with his parents).

MoonCat has a happy.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-08-25 at 04:21 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #862

My toilet won't stop running. I turned the water to it off, so the annoying sound of running water is gone, but surely there is something I can do short of calling up my landlord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

23. - Top - End - #863

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    MoonCat has a happy.
    Yay! You should get online so we can talk about stuff you know!

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

MoonCat has a happy.
    Happy people make me happy

25. - Top - End - #865

NecromancerGuy

I've got one better for creepiness. I had the boss's daughter who is like twelve or something leap onto my back while I was doing stock work.

Weird as all get out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #866

Yay! You should get online so we can talk about stuff you know!
    Online. I think I went there once.

Then again, I also went outside once.

I think I live in a no man's land where I'm unsociable online but don't go outside enough to be sociable IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    Happy people make me happy
    lalalala~

I've got one better for creepiness. I had the boss's daughter who is like twelve or something leap onto my back while I was doing stock work.

Weird as all get out.
    I have human fingers in my closet.

Unrelated, I know, but still pretty damn creepy.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #867

NecromancerGuy

Well, you know, that's just what happens when the skeletons in there start falling apart.

Sounds like you need to talk a bit more, Miss Moony-wally-flower-cat-thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #868

Online. I think I went there once.

Then again, I also went outside once.

I think I live in a no man's land where I'm unsociable online but don't go outside enough to be sociable IRL.

lalalala~

Ah, I hate that mixture. Don't worry, I'll try to break down your barriers Moonie! You're my friend, after all

Also, you picked the best nickname for me because of its association with being happy.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Could someone explain what 'taking the piss' means?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #870

Weird as all get out.
    Employee, jungle gym, means of transportation, all approximately the same thing, you know? Especially to kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    My toilet won't stop running. I turned the water to it off, so the annoying sound of running water is gone, but surely there is something I can do short of calling up my landlord.
    Besides looking in the tank and making sure that neither the float nor the chain is broken/tangled/loose? I know of no thing, but I'm no plumber. I know the toilet at our old apartment would keep running forever if not flushed very carefully so as not to catch the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Could someone explain what 'taking the piss' means?
    Acting crazy or irrational in a non-upset way, or with 'out of', to make fun of someone, particularly to 'take down a peg'.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2012-08-25 at 05:40 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine