New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Swarm Arrives [3.5 Base Class-Zerg, Tyranids]

Yea, Forceful evolution doesn't actually say damage there [from what I can read], however assuming that it is damage, no one would sacrifice several levels of HP to give someone else evolution points. Unless they give them to itself, as they can self embrace/assimilate/or be otherwise, and they technically controll themself...
    You might want to make a clause that the swarmlord cant self improve, unless you allow that [However Improving constitution may grant more HP than is used, up until they hit the cap as to how many evolution points they can spend on one ability.]

Also [For Lix], How does Spirit Force interact with the Swarmlord Manifesting, does it stack to impove it as if they where psions, or does it give them a additional pool to draw from?
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2013-03-18 at 06:05 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Might want to phrase it as reducing maximum HP instead of as never-recoverable damage. It comes to the same thing for conventional usage, but calling it never-recoverable damage opens up exploits regarding things that can only be used when below a certain percentage of your max HP (I'm sure there must be something) and allows it to be mitigated by having an ally around to give you temporary HP right before you take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Also [For Lix], How does Spirit Force interact with the Swarmlord Manifesting, does it stack to impove it as if they where psions, or does it give them a additional pool to draw from?
    The latter.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Might want to phrase it as reducing maximum HP instead of as never-recoverable damage. It comes to the same thing for conventional usage, but calling it never-recoverable damage opens up exploits regarding things that can only be used when below a certain percentage of your max HP (I'm sure there must be something) and allows it to be mitigated by having an ally around to give you temporary HP right before you take it.
    Oh, That...might get scary, Well, glad you pointed that out before I submited it to a Powergamer for homebrew review.

[QUOTE=Erik Vale;14920340]Yea, Forceful evolution doesn't actually say damage there [from what I can read],nope, not said. however assuming that it is damage, no one would sacrifice several levels of HP I would, being as though my swarms are going to be attacking, and i'm going to be in my nice fortress.to give someone else evolution points. Unless they give them to itself, as they can self embrace/assimilate/or be otherwise, and they technically controll themself...
    You might want to make a clause that the swarmlord cant self improve, unless you allow that [However Improving constitution may grant more HP than is used, up until they hit the cap as to how many evolution points they can spend on one ability.]
    [/QUOTE

[QUOTE=Lix Lorn;14919969]Hmm. Well, as an Epic PrC, it doesn't need BAB or saves.
    I use Realms of Chaos Explanation.

Enhanced Swarm seems like an odd way to do it. They already gain points from each level...
    They do, but that adds more.
    The problem with giving more Adaptions is that there may or may not be enough adaptions to support epic play.
    Yeah, that be the only problem.
    AD! Coming soon with Shady-brew, More Swarmlord adaptions!
    'This Fortress is Mine' and 'Swarm of Terror' are badass epic adaptions!
    Heh, I made the Terror to annoy the heck out of one guy whose main idea of attacking IS knowledge, So That...will be fun.

The problem with the other two is, adaptions are meant to improve the Swarmlord herself, or the swarm as a whole, rather than granting power to specific members of the swarm.[/QUOTE
    I can kind of understand that, but IMO, Infested really seem like a waste of HD when you have a lot, and fluff wise, It could be that the Infested are'nt Strong enough to handle the power.

Quote broken for bold.

Oh yeah, i forgot to add something, is that there is One thing in the Tyranid Codex that you can't make; The Tervigon
    Last edited by ShadowFireLance; 2013-03-18 at 09:10 PM.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Your infested should never really be a legitimate threat to things of your level. They should be the massive swarm of weak minions.

As for the tervigon, I've already said why that's hard, although I really should get to writing that evolution.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Your infested should never really be a legitimate threat to things of your level. They should be the massive swarm of weak minions.

As for the tervigon, I've already said why that's hard, although I really should get to writing that evolution.
    I have my own take on it, mayhaps you get a idea?

Minion horde
    Each point in this ability adds one Disposable Minion, with 3 Hp, 10 AC, and All stats except mental at 10, and mental at INT 1 Wis 1 Cha 1, That can be spawned in each round, when they attack, they automaticaly explode, dealing (Number of points/4) D6 Damage.
    The so Created Minions last for a number of rounds equal to the "Parent"'s Con Score/2 To a max of 5 rounds, at which point they dissolve into a pile of inert flesh, you may only create a number of minions equal to triple Con score of parent, destroyed Minions may not be replaced for 24 Hours, And require 1 Pound of food to replace each Minion (Or energy, Or something, If you do not eat)
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Disposable minions are an interesting way to do it...

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Hmm. Disposable minions are an interesting way to do it...
    Though, Termagaunts aren't exactly Disposable, but I think something like every 10 points placed in it, They gain 1HD?
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

So Lix Lorn, I was requested to do a bloodline specifically made for this class but before so I shall ask your approval since I will be using your material :)
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds cool to me.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Just figured I'd make sure :)
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Cerebrate
    {table=head] Level |
    Minor
    |
    Intermediate
    |
    Major

1 | | | +2 on intimidate checks
    2 | | +2 on intimidate checks| I am the swarm...
    3 | | | +1 charisma
    4 | +2 on intimidate checks| I am the swarm...| I am the swarm...
    5 | | | Swarmlord affinity +2
    6 | | +1 charisma| Obey the hive...
    7 | | | +2 on psicraft checks
    8 | I am the swarm...| I am the swarm| Obey the hive...
    9 | | | +1 constitution
    10 | | Swarmlord affinity +2| I am the swarm....
    11 | | | Swarmlord affinity +4
    12 | +1 charisma| Obey the hive...| Ultimate evolution
    13 | | | +2 on concentration checks
    14 | | +2 on psicraft checks| I am the swarm...
    15 | | | +1 intelligence
    16 | I am the swarm...| Obey the hive...| Obey the hive...
    17 | | | Swarmlord affinity +6
    18 | | +1 constitution| Obey the hive...
    19 | | | +2 on all knowledge checks
    20 | Swarmlord affinity +2| I am the swarm...| Ultimate evolution
    [/table]

I am the swarm...
    As a Cerebrate grows in level, it grows in power. Every time I am the swarm... shows up, they get 2 bonus evolution points that may be either added to her swarm or herself

Obey the hive...
    As the cerebrate grows in level, its swarm becomes more to her whim and does her every command...and so do other people. The cerebrate gets 3 extra power points added to her pool each time this comes up

Ultimate evolution
    you may pick one adaptation from the swarmlord list that you meet the prerequisites for, you gain it immediately. Once this is picked, it cannot be changed

Ok so...thoughts?

P.S. this is also in my bloodlines thread where it was requested by Shadow :)

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Looks good!

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

no changes?

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'd alternate the Obey the Hive and the I Am The Swarm bits, and try to have them have an effect for people who don't take swarmlord.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

they are alternating AA BB AA BB

and for the I am the swarm... you can add the points to yourself

and for the obey the swarm, just take psion :)

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

17. - Top - End - #317

Yeah... 8 Evolution points aren't really worth mentioning [perhaps gaining a swarmling as a companion, oh wait, level 0 swarmlord...], and 9 power points are ganted, a single level 5 power... Which the bloodline gives no access to.

Bonus to intimidate doesn't make sense given Gentle queen, especially as intimidate is the granted ability of the bloodline. What at that point is scary about them? [I personally play mine as people who persuade them to recieve something that will empower them, telempathic projection and attraction power use optional, with the possibility of saying: I'll trade this much work [trivial amount of safe stuff] for a permanent and rather useful power boost.] Of course, gentle queen is kinda neccessary to avoid the whole destroy the soul thing, meaning that that is your level 3 feat.
    Knowledge makes more sense, however Bonus int makes no sense as their manifesting is from charsima. Concentration bonus makes sense [all the chittering/the hive mind], psicraft a little less so but understandable.

I would suggest more along the lines of the Xenoalchemist Bloodling [Emmergent Atrocity], making it so that the bloodline grants some useful perks for a swarmlord [stat bonuses, bonus evolution points and power points are nice], while being able to stand alone. Such as granting a single power, or a effective swarmlord level for the purposes of the bloodline. Also, if your going to grant power/evolution points, 8 by level 20 is not worth the levels given up by any stretch of the imagination.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2013-03-19 at 01:58 AM.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed.
    I'd use Diplomacy, Sense Motive, or perhaps Autohypnosis as the skill.
    My OCD side would always use ABAB over AABB, but that's minor.
    I'd consider giving them psionic and evolution point progression of some kind. Make I Am The Swarm... give one effective swarmlord level for swarmlings and evo point, and Obey the hive... give +2 cha for the purposes of bonus PP/evo points.
    (I'd also make the Swarmlord Affinity apply to all swarm beings, with a clause that specifies it needs to be at least a similarly fluffed swarm. So a zerg could use the affinity to talk with a tyranid, but not with the weird Selesnyan cult crunched as a swarm.)

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you all know what would make this class Epic beyond what it already is? Well, do you?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, then, let me tell you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What if you could make Slivers with this class?
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

shadow, how do ye like yer bloodline?

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    shadow, how do ye like yer bloodline?
    It's pretty awesome, I forgot exactly how the bloodlines built off of classes worked, so that is a farily awesome reminder of it.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually have no idea either, this was a shot in the dark, its my first class bloodline ;)

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    Do you all know what would make this class Epic beyond what it already is? Well, do you?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, then, let me tell you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What if you could make Slivers with this class?
    Then the world ends with a whimper.

Cool for a villain or a solo campaign, pretty much literally impossible to balance for group play.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Hey, I read through, and I was wondering how one might make a prestige class or class feature based off drones and making buildings.
    Last edited by pieman2945; 2013-03-28 at 11:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pieman2945 View Post
    Hey, I read through, and I was wondering how one might make a prestige class or class feature based off drones and making buildings.
    I am working my ass off on that one, and it's a lot harder then you would think to make it.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

If you would like any help, I might be able to try.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pieman2945 View Post
    I made one based on the drones from Sins of a Solar Empire, if that counts. Can't promise buildings though.

28. - Top - End - #328

Question [While I think of it. Minor thing, I probably wouldn't take Swarmlord as anything but pure unless I was entering late or there was a prestige class I wanted to play with], would you be opposed to the making of a feat similar to focused manifestor but acting for swarmlings, evolution points and/or HD cap?

I'm thinking along the lines of: Given over to the Hive. The feat wording could well be a rip word for word from Practiced Manifestor/Spellcaster but mentioning Evolutionpoints/Swarmlings/HD Cap instead of spell-casting.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

I'd call it Practiced Swarmleader, but yeah, seems fine to me.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Halfling in the Playground

I'll be testing this class in an upcoming game. I'll post thoughts soon enough. :)