New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Heart of Gheddon

Night falls early upon this already shortened winter day. As the sun sinks behind the twin mountains which form Dagger Pass they cast their long shadows across the snow covered foothills. Sprawled before the largest path to the north, and obscured by the shadow of its western peak, is the town of SpringWater.

The streets of the town wind between squat, northern buildings built of pine and stone. Snow covering their rooftops and filling the alleys between buildings. Despite the abundance of the frost the smooth cobblestone streets bear only a light dusting of snow, apparently from the gentle flakes currently drifting down from above. The gently drifting snow is the only motion visible in the bitter cold winter on this night. But on the other side of the warmly lit windows casting their golden glow into the street it is a far different scene. Warm, smelling of the hearth and hot meals, filled with the moving forms of living people, and almost entirely lacking in snow.

On this particular night the interior of the Dragonskull inn and tavern, so named for its central fireplace fashioned from a dragonskull the size of a man, was no exception. Within dozens of travelers find both refuge from the cold and their hungry stomachs. Various human and humanoid people in common traveling garb for the region sit at the tables or one of the worn wooden stools, obviously many times repaired each, resting near the aged bar. A solemn looking dwarf with a long, well-kept red beard down to his belt, but no hair above his eyebrows, serves drinks to the patrons at the bar while a plain, blonde human woman carries meals and drinks out from a door at the back to the tables. A drunken northern skald wails out a slightly slurred drinking song from a corner of the room, to the apparent delight of most of the patrons. A roaring fire currently serves as the main light source of the room. In addition to its warmth the and light the flamelight dancing through the eye-hollows of the dragon skull serves as a mildly haunting sight for those who s eyes linger too long...

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Heart of Gheddon

The inn keeper approached me again. He didn't look happy. I guess I can relate and understand, after all the brownish drink that touches my lips is warm tea not the brutish ale served in this local. He looked a bit surprised when I asked for warm water and the surprise switched to slight disgust when I poured the aromatic herbs in the drink and spooned them to perfection.

I left the warm mug in the table and looked back at the inn keeper.

-May I have a piece of paper or parchment?

As the man raises his hands to the head with an exasperated look and leaves to fetch me the parchment I prepare one small piece of charcoal and adjust my ears to follow the words of the drunken skald, maybe I might find something useful in his words and stories.

Out of myself I start writing down the words that I am able to understand and drink some of my tea from time to time.
    Last edited by God Imperror; 2012-08-18 at 06:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

A few seats down from the elf with the golden hair sits another elf. This one has hair as white as freshly fallen snow, half-healed burns on her arms and face, and (if anyone looks close enough) tears falling from her pure-white eyes.

Cassie sits quietly crying as she finishes her 3rd glass of ale. She motions to the bartender, says, "Another, sir. And something to eat. Anything really."

Tomorrow, she thinks to herself, tomorrow, I'll figure out what do to.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Andrann quietly sat a few seats away from the ladies. His gaze would slightly lean towards them, but then he'd reach for his mug of ale and pour some of it down his throat. He was wearing his armor now, as he had no plans of staying here any further. He was a man of action, and thus he needed to set out of this tavern and begin swinging his blade of justice as soon as he could.

He slowly moved his fingers over the top of his bascinet. His aventail was set beside it, and his gaze met the chain while his hand of gauntlet grasped the helmet. He seemed thoughtful, but then he took another sip of his ale - now looking around suspiciously for a moment over his full-plate's shoulder.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sitting at a table in a dark corner, A young man sits, his features covered by a dark hood attached to his cloak, which he did not take off upon entering the room, as many of the patrons did. His eyes seem to track the movement of a few others, and ignore the rest as beneath his concern. The ones that seem to attract his eyes are a pair of elf females, sitting near each other at the bar. A pair of mages, and a man in armor also get some of his attention. The man in armor almost seems to notice the quiet man, but not quite.

All have powerful magic, but why here? I wonder if they have a plan? Are they after something? Or they just another group of marks.

As he ponders the strangers, the barmaid passes near him with drinks for another table. Bill takes one of the drinks, and starts drinking. The barmaid seems not to notice, so he goes back to watching.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #6

With another swig of the drink, Axile takes a look around. There were a few people of interest around, especially mages. He thought about going up to them, but for the moment, saw no reason to do so. None of them compared to his master, nor his old self.

His scar started to thob again. It had been restless the past couple of days. What for, he didn't know. Perhaps something was going to happen here. It was by this clue only that he stayed here. But he was getting restless, he needed to get stronger!

He leaves a small tip at the table and walks outside. The cold air stings his face, but it felt good to breath fresh air. He stares up at the sky as he sits down on the ground, leaning up against on of the walls and reflecting upon his master. He only stays outside for a few minutes, however, before heading back inside and sitting as close as he can to the fire-lit dragon skull.

'Perhaps I should start gathering info, or at least find a training partner.' He thinks to himself. One in particular he notices in the corner, wearing a hood and seeming to observe everyone else. But for now he just observes, and enjoys the comforts of the heat.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Enjoying the warmth both of the fireplace nearby and of the half-glass of wine coursing through his veins, Dmitri sits atop a stack of books while writing steadily into another that lies open in front of him on the table. He pauses, muttering to himself and tugging idly at his long mustache, and then scratches down one final sentence before blowing on the page to dry the ink, closing it, and slipping it into the satchel that leans up against his chair.

Slipping down off of the stack of books, he slips them also into his satchel before throwing its strap over his shoulder and heading out into the snowy yard behind the inn. It had been an uneventful day, and most of his valences remained unused, leaving him feeling rather antsy. However, using them frivolously would be wasteful, so he merely went for a stroll to use up some excess energy, his small, booted feet crunching in the snow and his staff leaving a pock mark every few feet.

8. - Top - End - #8

Within:
    The bartender meanders over to the softly weeping elf drowning her sorrows from the other after begrudgingly sliding her a sheet of parchment and marking down something himself on his own notes.
    He Presents the snow-haired woman with a half a loaf of stale bread and some warm chicken broth in addition to a fourth mug of thin ale. Deciding not to trouble her with the growing bill at the moment he simply retrieves the empty glass and goes about wiping it out.

Without:
    The stillness of the night is broken by a small party of travelers moving in the opposite direction of the wandering gnome. four of the five humanoid figures look much like one would expect: Bundled in heavy fur coats, thick hats, and treated leather boots. The fifth is almost surreal among the snowfall, a slim roughly five and a half foot tall woman bound head to toe in broad white linen cloth save for her eyes and a single, lower-back length black ponytail. A belt at her waist holding a thin, semi-transparent veil in place over the upper half of her legs serves as the only other clothing apparent. And beyond that the only apparent equipment is a golden choker about her neck and a curved scabbard upon her belt, a jeweled ivory hilt escaping from its open end.

The party proceeds past the gnome with almost unearthly silence considering the crunching of his own boots against the fresh fallen snow.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Some soft sobbing reach my ears while listened to the song, though it seems a fitting companion to the poor lyrics and worse vocalization of the drunken singer is probably not produced with that intention. I leave my gaze roam free on the room while my hands keep writing mechanically. Soon I find the source of the alien sound, another member of the fair race, an elf, but clearly different from me, for as I am bathed in the pale shine of the stars she seems to be more like a snowflake ready to dance in the wind.

With a smile I approach her, haven't seen loads of elfs in the last weeks and having a conversation is always nice, specially having a conversation with proper people and not with trained monkeys.

I look at her and almost whisper.

-May I sit here cousin?

10. - Top - End - #10

Axile pays little attention to the group passing by, although he does notice the jeweled sword at the woman's waist.

Inside, having had ample time to warm up, Axile walks up to the hooded man in the corner, taking a seat right besides him.

"So, what brings one such as yourself up here?" He asks the hooded figure.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Andrann gazed back at the hooded man with disdain for a moment, thinking an unnecessary keeping of hood is for someone who has a lot to hide - someone who might as well be a miser. He showed no hostility, however, turning his gaze away after a couple of moments, staring at the counter.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassie eyes the blonde elf talking to her. It is almost comforting to see another of her kind, even if looked quite a bit different.Whatever. she said, dunking the bread in the broth and hungrily eating it.

13. - Top - End - #13

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing one of the mages walk up to him, and ask him a question, Bill goes for the simple answer
    "Curiosity"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #14

"Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Axile. A..... Mage of sorts. You?" He says, extending a hand for a handshake with a slight smile on his face.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

GreenSorcererElf

Why is this mage bothering me? I suppose he must want something, but what? In a fight I could take him, so long as I attack first, and by surprise, so why don't I find out why he is here

I am Bill, a scout. So, what brings you here? There seems to be little of value in this room, beyond a few such as myself, you, 2 elves, a knight, and another mage.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #16

"Just on a journey to test my powers. It's a simple as that. Perhaps you'd be willing to come along, if say those other ones come too?"
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

GreenSorcererElf

"A journey to enhance your powers might be all well and god for you, but what would I be gaining? And convincing the others to come along might be a bit tricky. If we can get the elves, the knight will likely be wiling to come along. I don't have a guess of how to convince the other mage, except by talking."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-20 at 10:41 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

I sit down by the elf and drink my tea slowly enjoying the sensation. I take a moment to look at the tavern, paying attention to those who stand out. Well it seems that several adventurers have made it to the tavern.

For a moment I look at the other elf with a slight smile, she seems hungry and enjoying her meal, I avert my gaze, staring at her as she eats might be rude. I get back to my paper and notes, while I try to start some chit chat.

-I am Firia.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Perhaps treasure? Or experience? I don't know what you seek, but if either of those you do, perhaps travelling around with others would help. I've heard tales of dragons around here." Axile replies, hoping to start gathering a group.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

GreenSorcererElf

"An interesting proposal. Well, it sounds interesting, but just the two of us would not last very long. At a minimum we would need the knight, which means that we need a way to persuade him to come with us. If he is a knight, he would be more likely to come to the aid of the elves than us, so, we need the elves as well. Perhaps we should listen to their conversation, and see if there is something that we can use to persuade them to come along. "
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassie finishes the bread and broth before responding. A full belly is helping her feel better, and, strangly, so is the company.
    "I'm Cassie. What brings you here?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I look back at Cassie relieved, she seems to be feeling better after eating.

-I enjoy some talking, and it's cold outside.

A slight smirk marks my features, of course its cold outside, she probably wasn't asking for that.

-Sorry, I mean, I like stories, I thought that I might hear something interesting here. Books get old at home, and I am writer, more or less.

23. - Top - End - #23

Outside:

A single glowing object roughly the size of a coin streaks down from the dark sky above and embeds itself into a snowbank a dozen yards from Dmitri. Leaving only a fading trail of smoke and the brief hiss of fire meeting snow.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassie lets out a short, bitter laugh. "Stories? You'd best talk to someone else, if you're looking for a good story. Mine's filled with only cowardice and death." She take another swig of ale.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Actually, I've kept an eye on the knight. He seems pretty fidgety, as if looking for something to happen. Recruiting the elves shouldn't be too hard. I'll take on the knight if you take on the elves." And before he can even get a response he heads over to the knight.

"Hello good sir. I am Axile, a mage here looking for an adventure of sorts, and am trying to gather a group. And your name is.....?" Axile says to the knight. He's figuring a chance to adventure would be enough for the knight.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I smile to the elf and without thinking I raise a hand to caress her check trying to make her smile too.

"There are good stories of cowardice and death, too". Was certainly an unhelpful thought.

-Then your story hasn't ended yet. Stories don't have bad endings, if it is bad it is not the end.
    Working on: Anointed Heritor PEACHes are welcome.
    Playing with: Firia & Cadaver
    Awesome avatar by Strawberries

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassie flinches, pulling her head away from the girl's hand...

"Please, don't touch me, my burns still hurt." Cassie sighs. "Just another punishment I suppose. And it certainly feels like my story is over. I was probably going to head back to tnorthern tundra tomorrow, back home."

28. - Top - End - #28

GreenSorcererElf

Smiling, Bill pulls back his hood in an effort to appear less mysterious, and walks up to the elves.
    "I couldn't help overhearing your conversation. My name is Bill, and I am looking to put together an adventuring group. Would you be interested in adding another page to yours? Of those in this tavern, you two seem to be among the most experienced.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-21 at 10:18 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Adventure?" asked Andrann with a gruff voice. "Any headings?" he added, peering at the man only with the corner of his eye.

30. - Top - End - #30

"well right now I was chasing rumors of dragons up here, but so far it's led to dead ends. I'd figure I'd take a break and look for a group and see if anyone has heard anything before resuming my look." Axile says to the knight.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show