New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Heart of Gheddon

Andrann slowly shoved himself off his chair, yet still leaving his left arm over the top of his helmet, beside which his aventail stood. His right arm slowly reached out towards Axile's shoulder, trying to grip it. Regardless of the result, he'd address the man. "Never have I heard of a dragon being any good. Hadn't it been for my knack of severing draconic heads, I'd been married long time ago." he told the man sarcastically. "But I never work for coin, nor do I work for glory or adventure - I merely carry out my judgement, my justice. If I find dragons right over you, expect no mercy from me." he added coldly, perhaps intimidatingly. However, first impressions were important, and he'd rather scare a friend off than have himself betrayed in return.

"Andran... My name is Andrann, by the way."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Suddenly, and briefly, a great roar, Coming from above and outside, grows from near silence to a blare that quickly drowns even the drunken wailing of the skald. the roar violently shakes surfaces within the room, sending bottles of alcohol tumbling from shelves, and dishes clattering from tables. The bars occupants cling to nearby solid objects as it happens.

Abruptly the roar ends with a explosive rumbling bang and a brief flash of light from outside the windows. The patrons of the tavern sit in stunned silence for the moment, looking to each other for answers none present seem to have.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"And... adventure calls. I hope we can work together ladies. See you soon."
    Bill runs outside to look at the source of the noise, pulling up his hood as he goes.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-21 at 05:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #34

Axile runs after Bill, hoping to find out what was going on.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

I nod on a silent apology to Cassie while I get distracted looking at the "adventurer" that approached us.

-Well she is probably going to leave tomorrow in the morning. And I don't really know what I am going to do...

Then the adventure seemed to start and the brave adventurer left the damsels in distress impervious of its dangers, eager to face the unknown, resolute to right the wrongs...

That seemed a good enough starting point. I raised my hand slightly and the shiny feathers of a raven glittered on the night. I brushed its head when it rested in my hand with care, and whispered into its ears.

-Go and see what it is about.

The familiar left after the man chasing after him as he was asked. Then I look back at my tea and drink it with delight.

-It seems that my tea is getting cold, a pity. I hope you enjoy the tundra Cassie if it is like my home it is probably... not as noisy as here. Sometimes noise is good.
    Last edited by God Imperror; 2012-08-21 at 06:17 PM.
    Working on: Anointed Heritor PEACHes are welcome.
    Playing with: Firia & Cadaver
    Awesome avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Aye, it can be. The tundra itself, outside the city walls, is quiet. I enjoyed the silence as a child. But inside the city walls is as noisy as any city." Cassie sighs, watching the man leave. After a moment, she says quietly, almost to herself, "I suppose it would be better than returning home, at least for now."

With another sigh, she stands up, leaves a handful of coins on the bar, and grabs her cloak, throwing in around her shoulders. "Want to see what all the noise is about, cousin? Perhaps I can distract myself from my misery and guilt."

Without waiting for a response, Cassie heads outside, standing next to the hooded man once she is there. Taking a deep breath of the cold air, Cassie hold her hand as if holding a shortsword. A semi-solid, pure white blade appears as if from nowhere.

"Sir, do you know what is going on?"
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-08-21 at 06:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

GreenSorcererElf

Well, I saw and heard what you did. At this point, my guess is that something fell, but from where is the question
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

-I would rather enjoy what is left of my tea. Go and tell me the details later.

In part I wasn't really worried my familiar had gone outside and it would probably be able to report whatever happened, that raven was intelligent enough and certainly it had eyes and ears better than most. But I was also curious, who would leave the inn who would remain? What would happen if everyone left?
    Last edited by God Imperror; 2012-08-22 at 06:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Outside:

Smoke rises through the darkness nearly a block away, lit from below from a flickering orange light. The source of them both obscured behind a wall of other tightly packed structures.

A few smoking embers fall gently from above among the snowflakes

Inside:

Most of the patrons relax a bit once they realize they are not in immediate danger. Several bundle up and head out to see what caused this also. Others (mostly the bartender and barmaid) go about cleaning up the mess it caused.

10. - Top - End - #40

GreenSorcererElf

"It looks like whatever happened, happened about a block that way. I wonder what it is"

Bill starts heading to the glow.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Great, more fire...just what I need, Cassie thinks to herself as she follows Bill.
    Last edited by Tegannie; 2012-08-22 at 10:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Axile moves on, closely behind Bill and Cassie. While running, he quickly turns to Cassie and says "Now might not be a good time, but I'm Axile. I'm with this guy" as he points at Bill.

Then suddenly, he pauses for a moment, raises his hand forward, and chants a few quick verses. In front of him, a magic circle appears on the ground, glowing brightly as what appears to be a being made up of magma comes forth.

He continues to run towards the source, along with the newly summoned magma elemental by his side.

Spoiler
    Show

Here are the statistics of the magma elemental with the buffs. I won't actually have a chance to add them to my sheet till tonight.

Medium Magma Elemental

Hit Dice: (50 hp)
    Initiative:–1 (Dex)
    Speed:30 ft.
    AC:17 (–1 Dex, +8 natural)
    Attacks: Slam +15 melee
    Damage: Slam 1d8+14
    Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Burn (DC )
    Special Qualities: Elemental, fire subtype
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +7, Spot +7
    Feats:Power Attack
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

13. - Top - End - #43

Outside:
    Those who ran to find the source of the smoke now arrive at the scene of a crater, forty feet in diameter and 5 feet deep, occupying a space where once stood half of a timber house. Splintered and charred remains of the structure are scattered all about into the street and through the smoke issuing from the crater one can see into the still standing half of the house, into a kitchen laden with now smashed dishes.

The hissing of vaporizing snow accompanies the smell of smoke and sulphur as both steam and smoke issues forth from a large sized pitted metallic boulder sitting in the bottom of the crater.

Inside:

The uneasiness of the occupants of the tavern fades quickly and they return to their chosen activities or concentrate on the clean up. All the while chatting about what in the world that could have been. Popular theories include dragons, wizards, and rowdy teenagers.

Firia:
    Spoiler
    Show

notices the sounds of soft, but heavy footsteps that do not match up with the only two people currently moving about.
    Last edited by Tharione; 2012-08-22 at 11:41 AM. Reason: more stuff

14. - Top - End - #44

GreenSorcererElf

Looking at the devastation, only one thought occurs in Bills mind: cool.
    "Looks toasty. Perhaps the magma elemental should investigate?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

I listen to the ruckus on the tavern, for a moment I try to ignore the sounds of conversation of the locals, I focus on my own breath, I can hear it, in a few breaths the sounds of people grow distant, one after another they pop out of existence, soon there is only a few noises left.

I raise my cup of tea I give the cold beverage a last taste and when the liquid departs my lips I whisper. "Veil be free, let me see". I look through the tavern, trying to see something that might have not been there before.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Andrann had walked after Axile, grabbing his helmet to which was attached an aventail - as well as grabbing his backpack that stood by the side of his chair, and strapping one part of it to his one shoulder - on the contrary of the man's speedy dash. Having found crowd at the entrance, Andrann began pushing and shoving people away, and rudely so, too. Once outside, he gazed at the group who were running towards the smoke. Supposedly, he'd stand there for a while, crossing with the time when Firia had set her gaze outside the tavern.
    Last edited by Baxxie; 2012-08-22 at 01:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Inside:
    Firia briefly detects the presence of magical auras within the room before their sources, almost immediately, become apparent. Two heavily muscled orangutans with oversized lower fangs jutting from their mouths and fur the color of rust appear from seemingly nowhere and lay hands on two bar patrons each before vanishing again with those they grabbed. A church bell begins ringing in the distance somewhere.

Outside (the tavern):
    Black ashes join the gently drifting snow. In the sky above what appear to be streaking fireballs cut the darkness as they fall toward the ground. A church bell Rings loudly in the distance. Grabbing the attention of those present.

Outside (the crater):
    Black ashes join the gently drifting snow. In the sky above what appear to be streaking fireballs cut the darkness as they fall toward the ground. A church bell Rings loudly in the distance. Grabbing the attention of those present.

Casker the Raven communicates distress to Firia.

18. - Top - End - #48

GreenSorcererElf

"I think that we want some cover for this. Fairly solid cover. This is very interesting though. I suspect that this is NOT standard weather around here."

Bill looks around for some cover from the firestorm.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #49

Axile was about to answer the question, but the hears the church bells ringing. Deciding to risk it, he runs to the source of the sound.

"You all coming?"
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

After noting the lack of useful cover around, Bill figures that he will need to rely on luck to survive this. Luckily, luck has been on his side before. He also keeps an eye on the incoming meteors, with the intent of dodging any that seem like they are heading directly for him.

"I think we may want to warn the other elf about events. She sent her familiar, but may not be using its eyes. I suspect that the church bells are ringing as a warning. All of us working together is probably a good idea. I don't suppose you can teleport us to safety until after all the rocks hit the ground?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

The auras broke and two baleful monkeys on steroids appeared breaking havoc on the people in the inn. By the Seldarine... that was dangerously scary. But before everything was able to settle they were gone and with them two poor souls. I focus my eyes, I am need to move fast and I cannot concentrate on the spells. I keep my ear keen and my sword nearby just in case the attack repeats itself. After taking a beat to recover my breath I stand looking at the bartender.

-Get everyone to the basement and barricade the doors. Those are gone, but more might come.

I move to the rests that the orangutans left before leaving I soak the paper in which I wrote down the song from the skald in the blood of the kidnaped and search for any scrap of cloth.

-Which were those men names? Where can I find a mirror?

My senses are trying to get the best of me I am excited, scared of battle, of the loneliness that might come. I was no fighter. I was just a storyteller. The bells were not helping nor was the uneasiness that was reaching me from outside.
    Last edited by God Imperror; 2012-08-23 at 05:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

The question stops Axile in his track, as if his blood went cold. Memories fly through his head, of when he was much more powerful. Teleporting them away would of been a simple trick, let alone finding out who or what was causing this. Thankful of the new, ancient arts he had learned, he had gained some power. But it was not enough.

Another ring of the bells wakes him out of his thoughts. They had to figure out what to do!

'Wait, I have the perfect spell!........ I didn't pack rope did I.....' He thinks to himself, cursing all the while.

"If one of you has some rope I can hide us in an extradimensional pocket for a while."He yells, changing his direction towards the tavern they had been in. His magma elemental follows close behind.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Outside(the Crater):

One of the men present shouts: "That's the town alarm, everyone get to your homes, wake your families and friends, militia with me!" He beckons several others and charges off for the north end of the town. The other townsfolk scatter down the streets in other directions.
    The Raven decides, for some unseen reason, to fly off over the rooftops directly for the tavern at top speed. Most of the flaming objects crash down elsewhere in town, heard but unseen from here.

Several of what appear to be heavily charred gnomes climb out of the crater once the majority of the crowd has moved away.

Outside (the tavern):
    Shouting can be heard from within the bar. The people here cease staring at the sky and begin to flee, especially when four men fall from the sky, landing with sickening thuds in the street and on nearby rooftops.

Inside:

The bartender nods and shouts "You heard thah lass, alarms going to the cellar with ye who aren't fighting men!".
    Most of the patrons follow directions and head through the kitchen door following the barmaid. Over the clamor of the crowd screams can be heard from outside but end abruptly.

The dwarf retrieves an axe from behind the bar and proceeds over to Firia. "Darvey, Jore, Bart an' Tim. Four of my regulars. What the burning beards is going on here elf?"
    Last edited by Tharione; 2012-08-22 at 06:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

"And here we turn around again!" Axile said, turning to head north. Truth be told he was a little excited. It had been a while since his last combat! Let alone that fact that he know nothing about the attack. Perfect time to test out his powers!
    Last edited by bindin garoth; 2012-08-22 at 06:21 PM.
    homebrew

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Really, Fate? Fire from the sky and...a magma elemental? I won't let you get to me! I won't cower this time." Cassie says to herself.

"I will go find Firia." she says to others. She hurries back to the inn, snow-white "blade" in hand, searching for Firia.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

I smirk to the dwarf with a slightly worried nod I mentally note the names of the deceased if I try to search for them later it will be helpful any information that I can get.

-Those apes were demons, if they acted so openly it means bad things. Come here dwarf. - I gently touch the dwarf in the shoulder - May my steps be light, and aid me in the fight.

Instantly I feel lighter able to move faster, I surely can dance over the rooftops if necessary.

-Guess that axe ain't made of cold iron is it?.- For a moment I consider taking some paper to write down the details of the fight, but I might get busy and even engage into melee. -Good luck dwarf, lets pour some beers if this ends well.

27. - Top - End - #57

GreenSorcererElf

"Axile, I think that this is an attack. A trick with rope may get us out of the way, but when it ended, we would be fighting these things alone. Better to stand now, rather than later. Besides, should be interesting, and I suspect the bombardment is over"

Bill readies his crossbow, a grin on his face, and heads for the north as well, attempting to get out of sight once he gets there, with the intent of ambushing attackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Load crossbow, head for the north. Stealth: (1d20+18)[23]
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-08-22 at 08:42 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Andrann took a few steps forward, distinguishing himself from the scared crowd. As men and women were running in, he slowly placed his helmet over his head, letting the aventail fall upon his plated shoulders and reach his upper breast, as well as covering his face. Slowly drawing his sword, he watched the motion - trying to get himself ready against what unpredictable hell was going on. His long sword in hand, lengthing well over fifty inches, he looked forward - supposedly from where Axile and Bill were coming, chasing after who seemed like a local man of these parts.

29. - Top - End - #59

Outside(North end of town):

Those heading north charge up the main street. Shortly they come upon what appears to be two heavily charred gnomes with long red claws cackling and hopping about over two dead bodies roughly two hundred and fifty feet ahead.

Outside(The tavern):

From the expected direction do not come two men chasing a third but one elf heading back for the tavern. Over the rooftops, nearly indistinguishable against the clouded night sky, flies a lone raven toward the same destination.

Inside:

"Its cold an its iron. Demons... Well luck to you as well Lass. I've got drunks to look after." The dwarf hops the bar and heads back into the kitchen.
    Last edited by Tharione; 2012-08-23 at 09:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

GreenSorcererElf

Bill, seeing the dead townsfolk, realizes that the strange gnomes are a threat, and the village militia is unlikely to stop them.
    "I think that the village militia is probably not going to do much good. We should probably help those in the tavern, as they will probably be much more useful, and will more likely be alive to be helped. The militia was spread out over town, as were these things, and I have yet to meet the militia that can match creatures from anywhere."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss