New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Pathfinder, 3.P] How does one represent a racial tendency toward mutation?

In my campaign world my Goblins are a racial offshoot of Gnomes who have spent too much time in the darker, more primal parts of the world. They have touched eldritch magics effectively unknown to the wider world and, as such, have a tendency to mutate from exposure to these energies.

Trolls, bullywugs, hobgoblins, goblin-snakes, and more are all mutated Goblins who have touched the unknowable energies of the dark parts of the unexplored territories.

However, I also want just plain goblins available as a playable race, who have not mutated but are still touched by the unpredictable magics of their evil-er kin.

So I'm struggling to figure out how to create a racial feature that is a balanced and standardized representation of the unstable physical nature of goblins?

I already have a race that gets Disguise Self as a spell like ability, which was a possibility previously put forward. I already plan on making a few racial feats/traits which could further flesh this out, but I wanted to try and come up with something that they get by default. I also considered just giving them the human "+2 to a stat of their choosing" but that seems rather...dull.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: [Pathfinder, 3.P] How does one represent a racial tendency toward mutation?

Do you have access to the Monster Manual? (3.5, that is)

The Slaadi are your friend, then. Their entry has a table that allows you to roll a d% to get a random mutation.
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2011-08-09 at 11:23 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [Pathfinder, 3.P] How does one represent a racial tendency toward mutation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post
    Do you have access to the Monster Manual? (3.5, that is)

The Slaadi are your friend, then. Their entry has a table that allows you to roll a d% to get a random mutation.
    I don't have access to it at work, but I certainly do have access to it. How does that play out for an LA +0 race though?
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    I don't have access to it at work, but I certainly do have access to it. How does that play out for an LA +0 race though?
    Well, hang on, let me get my copy out...

..wait...

...wait!

Ahh! Where did it go?! I remember it being there...!

Stupid 3.5...hang on, let me see if I can find my 3.0 Monster Manual...

EDIT
    Ugh, that's right, I sold it.

Hmph.

Okay, instead I'm going to direct you to the d20 Modern SRD. Scroll down to the Future section and click on "mutations"

That should give you a somewhat more complicated, but probably much better balanced, system for creating mutations.
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2011-08-09 at 11:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post
    Well, hang on, let me get my copy out...

..wait...

...wait!

Ahh! Where did it go?! I remember it being there...!

Stupid 3.5...hang on, let me see if I can find my 3.0 Monster Manual...

EDIT
    Ugh, that's right, I sold it.

Hmph.

Okay, instead I'm going to direct you to the d20 Modern SRD. Scroll down to the Future section and click on "mutations"

That should give you a somewhat more complicated, but probably much better balanced, system for creating mutations.
    Neat!

Thanks, I'll check that out.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

A less random way would be to make a menu of beneficial mutations into race-specific feats.

For the bad mutations, you could make them into race-specific flaws.

The d20 Modern rules contain rules for mutations. I don't think those are all that well-made though.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    A less random way would be to make a menu of beneficial mutations into race-specific feats.

For the bad mutations, you could make them into race-specific flaws.

The d20 Modern rules contain rules for mutations. I don't think those are all that well-made though.
    I am planning on making a number of feats or feat chains for goblins (or goblin-blooded sorcerers possibly) to explore and expand upon their weird mutant heritage, but I was trying to find just something to add as a racial starting ability.

I had considered making a list of beneficial mutations and a list of harmful mutations and saying that the goblin player had to choose one from each at creation, though I'm not sure I trust myself to make that balanced for a level 1 character.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you want something really basic, just give goblins a +2 bonus to a skill check of their choice from their mutation and perhaps make charisma their bad ability score instead of strength (the mutation strengthens them but leaves them deformed). A +2 to climb checks might mean extra fingers, a +2 to spot checks may mean insectile eyes, and a +2 to a knowledge check may involve an extra lobe of the brain and bulbous skull.

Of course, that's just a very basic idea.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    If you want something really basic, just give goblins a +2 bonus to a skill check of their choice from their mutation and perhaps make charisma their bad ability score instead of strength (the mutation strengthens them but leaves them deformed). A +2 to climb checks might mean extra fingers, a +2 to spot checks may mean insectile eyes, and a +2 to a knowledge check may involve an extra lobe of the brain and bulbous skull.

Of course, that's just a very basic idea.
    I actually hadn't thought about making it a skill bonus, that's a very interesting concept.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

You could also refer to the Ogrekin for a reference.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs