New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Epic Teddy Bears: an RPG Project

Well if everybody is going to be the same species how about GURPS or D20 Modern?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Or, you could make it a system independent setting book, or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_alec View Post
    Well if everybody is going to be the same species how about GURPS or D20 Modern?
    GURPS is far too crunchy and simulationist. It wouldn't fit the setting at all.

D20 modern would probably fir worse than D&D, as it is basically the same thing, but with fewer resources that would work with the setting.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

This idea SCREAMS Storyteller to me. It's easy to default to a single race (i.e. no need for racial abilities), has a great way to select from a wide variety of skills and abilities, and, through it's associated mechanics (Humanity, Willpower, and so-forth) could be nicely shifted to things like Imagination, Belief, and other things that would give bears power.

It's also a gritty system that does dark and oppressive well (and you seem to like the grim interpretation): D&D and so-forth reach HERO MODE to quickly, and then all sense of grit is gone.

If you don't go with that (and I really think it works here), I'd recommend a Fate derivative. Fate is a really simple and flexible system that rewards player ingenuity, enforces character consistency (through the absolutely brilliant Aspect system), and is a light enough system that narrative flow becomes the primary driving factor in the game, while the Stunt selection can be tailored to really give players cool options (especially if you increase the number of Stunts gained).

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

There already exists a game in which boogie monster is real, the kids are scared and need to be protected by belief-based magic. This one stars the kids, but I assume it'd be easier to tweak change the protagonists than the whole system.

I don't know how good it actually is.

http://www.littlefears.com/

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    There already exists a game in which boogie monster is real, the kids are scared and need to be protected by belief-based magic. This one stars the kids, but I assume it'd be easier to tweak change the protagonists than the whole system.

I don't know how good it actually is.

http://www.littlefears.com/
    I've read both Little Fears editions. In my opinion, the first is pretty mediocre, and the second is solid. They have a very different concept, though.